The Outer Lord

By CJMalice

One Tarnished Journey to become Elden Lord, but that's not all. This will be a story of 10 chapters (for now)... More

Chapter 1 - The One Of Many Names
Chapter 2 - Shardbearer
Chapter 3 - Rot
Chapter 4 - The Fingers and An Oath
Chapter 5 - Finding Friends in Limgrave
Chapter 6 - Liurnia
Chapter 7 - Raya Lucaria
Chapter 8 - That Which is Broken
Chapter 9 - Deathbed Dream
Chapter 10 - Honour to the Red Lion

Chapter 11 - Silver Blood. The Sorceress. The Queen Manifest

439 15 11
By CJMalice

''You've returned,'' Moongrum's voice rumbled through his helmet as he acknowledged the man before him. The Carian Knight's tilted up and his eyes wandered over the burned and bloodied form of Talos. His cloak was in tatters and his plate was warped beyond use. Though blood had dried in dark streaks on Talos' skin, Moongrum noted that he seemed absent of injuries. ''It's done, then?''

''It is. General Radahn is at peace and his Great Rune is mine. I have come to deliver the news,'' Talos said. While Talos was a mess to look at, he noted that Moongrum's regalia wasn't spotless either. Splashes of blood painted his gauntlets and dotted darkly on his dark-blue finery.

''I see,'' Moongrum said, ''well, go inside. My queen knows the stars move again. She knows what that entails. But she will want to hear it from your lips. Do not keep her waiting.'' There was nothing left to say after that. Moongrum was taciturn at the best of times, known for his vigilance even before The Shattering. He cared little for words, especially towards outsiders. It didn't matter what Talos had done, he wasn't of the household, and so warranted words only out of necessity. But, and Moongrum was hesitant to admit it, he was quietly grateful to the Tarnished. He had few words for him, but Talos had his respect.

''You seem as though you've been busy yourself,'' Talos said. Moongrum withheld a sigh. His words were meant to be a quick dismissal, not an invitation.

''Her Grace walks among us again. But traitors still lurk here. To ensure the queen's safety and the totality of her domain, I have been hunting them down. I admit, your efforts went far in quelling their numbers, but their extermination was never your goal. I am merely finishing what you began.'' Moongrum had been invigorated since Rennala returned to proper form. She gave him full leave to persecute a total purge of all traitor elements within and around Raya Lucaria. He'd spent days hunting and slaying, leaving the walls of the academy and into the sunken town outside to continue the slaughter there. They died by the score, cut down with sword and sorcery, unprepared for the might of the last Knight of Caria.

''I had noticed a distinct lack of glintstone being sent my way. You've my thanks for your thoroughness,'' Talos said. Moongrum grunted.

''If we're done, then I must continue my hunt. On your way, Tarnished,'' Moongrum walked away, effectively killing the conversation. Talos paid it no mind and continued onward, but stopped short. He turned just in time to catch something. He felt its weight in his hands and turned it over. Talos smiled.

''I called in a favour from Iji. Try not to break it again,'' Moongrum spoke before leaving with out further word. Talos put his newly repaired helmet in the crook of his elbow and continued walking.

His footsteps echoed throughout the grand library, signalling the Sweetings to scatter away fearfully. It had been a source of curiosity the first time he'd been here, and that remained the case. In all the time he'd spent in the Lands Between, only they fled from him on sight. What was it they saw, he wondered. Could they see something no others did? It could be possible that in their infantile minds, they perceived what he was hiding. Where others saw a man, perhaps they saw a monstrous god, whose form was a thing wrought of nightmares. He wished he could ask them, really. Despite being what he was, he'd never so much as seen what shape he took. But then, what would he do with that knowledge? He decided it was best not to contemplate it. Talos had no intention of relinquishing his human form.

The massive chamber was a lot tidier now. Where there had been stacks upon stacks of books strewn about the floor, there were smaller piles tucked near the bookshelves, all in alphabetical order. Tidier though it may have been, Talos couldn't shake the impression that this was merely spreading the mess out to make it less cluttered. Rennala stood organising the shelves. Her face was serene, and her conical hat had been discarded in favour of letting her night-black hair cascade down her back. Long, elegant fingers tapped at book spines as she read the names, checking the order and sorting the books that were out of sequence. She heard his footfalls and looked toward Talos, gracing him with a reserved smile. However, her eyes gave her away. Talos' return meant her son was dead.

''Your Grace,'' Talos inclined his head in greeting. The queen's silver eyes lingered on Talos before she spoke.

''My deepest thanks, Talos,'' she intoned, ''I hath known thy task was done since the star fell from the heavens. It hurts, but I know my son suffers no longer thanks to thee.''

''It needed to be done. His end was, as I'm sure he'd have wanted, spectacular. Warriors across the land gathered in Caelid to face the Red Lion. Over five-hundred. Whatever loyalties they had were laid aside, just to pay their respects to him,'' Talos' face became thoughtful, ''you must be proud of him. In life, he was a force of nature that commanded the respect of others. And in death, he still roused the hearts of men with his name alone.''

Rennala smiled. ''I am immensely proud of him. He became more than I could have dreamed. Radahn would never rule, for the line of ascension to the throne of Caria was never for the sons. Both of my sons were ambitious, but Radahn soared to heights I do not think his siblings could match,'' she suddenly caught herself, ''ah, perhaps 'tis in poor taste to say such things.''

Talos shook his head. ''It is natural to compare one's children. They are all different, with their own aptitudes and failings. I cannot speak on your children, Rennala, but my own three differed wildly in many ways.''

''I had forgotten thou art a father thyself. Wouldst thou tell me of them?'' Rennala asked. Talos gave her a fragile smile.

''Another time, perhaps. I fear we are getting distracted,'' he said evasively, ''now, the comet. I saw it pass over the Wailing Dunes. That is significant, isn't it?''

Rennala nodded slowly. ''When the stars began to move again, they heralded the continuation of my daughter's fate. Thou'st likely heard already, but when my son arrested the stars, Ranni's destiny was locked into stasis. Now, things can move along their proper course once more. The falling star crashed to the earth in Limgrave. Blaidd hath already departed to investigate.''

''Restless as ever, isn't he. But what of you, Rennala? Much has happened in your absence, and now I deliver news of Radahn's death. It seems redundant to ask if you are well, but I do so regardless,'' Talos said.

''Thy kindness is appreciated. I cannot say I am pleased with the state of Raya Lucaria, or Liurnia as a whole, but those art things that can be fixed with time and effort. But Radahn...'' she took a breath, ''…I hath grieved for him. He died when he was gripped by the Scarlet Rot. His spirit was already departed. You merely put his body to rest, and if thee and Blaidd speaketh true, in spectacular fashion. I am sure he would have loved it,'' her eyes shimmered momentarily, then calmed.

''I understand. But that doesn't answer my question,'' Talos pressed. Rennala released a sigh she'd been holding.

'''Twould be a lie to say I feel well in any fashion. I feel out of place in my own home. So much hath changed. My lands art bereft of people, my academy lieth empty, my systems of governance hath collapsed. There is so much to do, yet I hath nary an idea where to begin,'' her shoulders slumped, and the Sweetings could sense the downturn in the queen's mood. ''What is a queen without a people to rule? Liurnia is dead, yet I remain to preside over its corpse.''

''I see. Doubt weighs heavy on you. It is true that your lands have fallen, and I will not lie, the situation is bleak. But, and I mean this, while you remain, the chance for Liurnia to rise again still exists. This land will only die once you die, and I promise that I will not allow that to happen. Once I am Elden Lord, I will do everything in my power to restore Liurnia, restore the academy, drain the lake that has swallowed the land and make sure the tragedies that swept the Lands Between can never happen again. You will have my support in all of this,'' Talos said solemnly.

''Thy words art confident. I hope 'tis not mere bravado, though thy deeds thus far give me hope,'' Rennala looked around at her Sweetings before returning her gaze to Talos, ''I place my faith in thee. Thou'st proven thyself a determined man, whose word is honoured by thy actions. I will do what I can in the meantime.''

''That is all I ask,'' Talos said with a thin smile. A brief silence passed between the Tarnished and Queen of the Full Moon. Rennala tilted her head as she observed him.

''Talos, thou'st grown,'' she said. Yes, she was certain of it. She had seen him at various statures when they'd first met. In the realm of her innermost thoughts, he was a towering figure, standing head and shoulders above both herself and Marika. And then in the physical world, he had been a man only slightly taller than the norm. But now, he was approaching Blaidd's height. How odd.

''Oh?'' he looked down, then at the bookshelf next to him. How he hadn't noticed was unknown to him, but Rennala was right. ''Ah, it seems my body has had to adjust to the recent influx of power from the Great Runes in my possession. I had hoped to maintain my previous stature for as long as I could, but it seems that is no longer possible. But even then, I could feel my body straining at the seams to contain my power.''

''Why wouldst thou limit thyself? It is commonly observed that those with a powerful life force tend to be larger than others,'' Rennala said, her scholar's mind working behind her eyes.

''Convenience, mostly. It makes navigating caves, castles and other cramped spaces much easier. I have faced and defeated many enemies, Rennala. But I do not wish to run afoul of a low doorway. Not only could it cause problems in a fight, but I have an image to cultivate. Being known as the clumsy Elden Lord might damage that image,'' Talos replied with a chuckle. Rennala was similarly amused.

''It would be quite the reputation to live down. I would certainly remind thee of it on occasion,'' she tittered, ''but I must ask; art thou still limiting thy stature?''

''I am. In truth, I don't know just how large my form truly is. But I am content not knowing,'' Talos said. Rennala moved several books around to suit her sense of order before speaking again.

''What is thy aim now, Talos? Thou art possessed of three Great Runes,'' she let the words hang.

''For now, I will reorient myself. It would be prudent to gather any information I can about potential locations for the other Great Runes. There are some loose ends I must tie up, but I will extend my search to the Altus Plateau,'' Talos replied.

''The heart of the Lands Between. If there were anywhere to look, 'twould be there. But I must warn thee; ascending to the Altus Plateu is no simple task. The lift requirest a medallion to activate, but it hath long been broken. A security measure.''

''How do you know that?'' Talos asked, while Rennala merely smiled coyly.

'''Twas my academy that crafted it in ages passed. Long before my reign, but 'tis important knowledge to have with Leyndell on my borders. The medallion is not the original, however. The original makers remain forgotten. And before thou ask, I do not know the location of the halves.''

Talos rummaged through his bottomless box for a moment, before pulling out a stone disk coloured like dull gold, carved with the image of a figure bearing a shield and axe, surrounded by tree roots. Facing this figure was another, this one robed and holding a staff. In the centre was an amber gem.

''Is this what you speak of?'' he asked, offering it to Rennala. She leaned down and inspected it closely. Her eyes lingered on it as she took in its details. Then, she looked up at Talos both inquisitive and surprised.

''How hast thou found and united the halves? Protocol dictated that the halves were to be hidden.''

''I have the uncanny ability to find what others don't want found. It's how I got this far,'' was the best explanation he could give as he shrugged. Even after all this time, he wasn't sure why things always seemed to end up in his possession despite everything trying its damnedest to stop him. That could be enemies, traps or simply tricky hiding spots. Illusory walls were a particular oddity he'd encountered many times across many worlds.

''Perhaps 'tis for the best I do not ask you explain further. I've headaches aplenty already,'' she said wryly.

Talos had noticed during this interaction that the Queen of the Full Moon had a certain dryness to her that he appreciated. He saw it as a hopeful sign that, despite everything, she could still muster some good humour.

''Still, 'tis good thou'rt in possession of the medallion. Now there is naught barring thy path to the Altus Plateau. Once there, the Erdtree is within thy reach,'' Rennala spoke, ''but I feel as though thou'st other motives for now.''

Talos raised a brow. ''I've yet to grasp just how sharp you are. You're correct, of course. Just because Demigods fall, it doesn't mean the lands are free from their own blights. A certain place caught my attention some time ago. A hollow in the cliff side with what looked to be some kind of town built within. I hadn't the time to explore it at first, but something tells me I might find something there. A gut instinct, if you will.''

''Ah, yes. Thine is a curious mind. I felt as much when we spoke for the first time. If thou feel thou shouldst investigate, then I've no doubt it will be fruitful in some way. But I ask you exercise caution. I am afraid my lands hath become a nexus for creatures born of sorcery, both natural and not. And Moongrum hath informed me of a creature that stalks the night. It beareth wings of ghost flame, and wields the cold touch of death as thou would a sword. I know thou'rt the last person who needeth protection, but 'twould soothe me to know thou art aware of what lurks in the dark. Thou'st become a friend to my family, Talos. And a friend to Liurnia, in time.''

Talos inclined his head, not showing the surprise he felt at the sudden declaration of friendship.

''You honour me, Rennala. I shall heed your warning and try not to get swooped up like a hawk would a hare. I doubt you'd let me live that one down either,'' Talos said, earning a brief chuckle from the mighty sorceress.

''I believe time will avail me of tomes of moments I could prod thee over,'' Rennala swept her gaze around the books still left unorganised, ''but I believe we both have tasks that require our attention. I am not shooing thee away, but as we idly chat – pleasant as it is – the world turns, inexorable. Do be sure to visit when thou can.''

Talos nodded, glad of the opportunity. He bade Rennala farewell and left for the marshy expanse below.

Nepheli Loux roared as her axes fell. Both blades cleaved into flesh, crushing through bone as they carve deep into the chest of the Omenkiller. The arms of the large man fell away, separated at the shoulders and its heavy, serrated cleavers clattered to the ground with a sound like the tolling of a bell. Her axes ripped upward and cut across, severing the grotesquely masked head.

Blood and sweat glittered on her dark skin. As she sucked in breaths that tasted of murder, she glared hatefully at the mangled corpse in front of her. Her grip on her axes caused the leather wraps to creak as her blood roared in her ears.

The hidden village around her reeked of death. The ground was sodden with silver blood as the ruined bodies of Albinaurics were strewn about the muddy paths and the remnants of ancient cobble. Wooden huts burned, set ablaze by the sinister Perfumers that had accompanied the Omenkiller. She knew who these underlings belonged to. And it disgusted her.

Everywhere she'd looked was a scene of horror and callous slaughter. Even as she came upon the scene, she could hear the cruel laughter of those responsible. When it became clear they had lost, they'd begged and bargained. She'd killed them all, spraying their blood and viscera as savagely as they had the Albinaurics' without so much as a single word. Her axes said more than her voice ever could. Such was the brutal justice of Nepheli Loux, Warrior.

The Albinaurics were not a hardy species. They were a failed experiment, their alchemically forged bodies were frail, given over to severe ageing and weakness in males, and the gradual loss of their legs in females. They knew this. They all did. And so, they'd sought a place to hide from the world. And for a time, that's exactly what they had.

''Why? Why would anyone do this?'' she asked aloud, thinking she was alone.

''An excellent question.'' Nepheli whipped around at the source of the sudden voice, axes raised and teeth bared.

''Who-''

''Peace, Nepheli,'' the massively tall, man held up his hands, showing them to be empty of weapons. She knew that helmet and voice. There were also familiar aspects of his armour, though they were mere scraps and warped steel now. But how could it be him?

''Talos? Is that you?'' she ventured, her axes only lowering fractionally, but still ready to do their bloody work.

''Yes, though I am somewhat... changed, since we last met. Carrying three Great Runes has unforeseen consequences, apparently,'' he replied before looking around. He walked towards her, his ever-present scowl deepening. ''I had hoped to find something here. Not this.''

Nepheli's shoulders sagged and her grip loosened. She threw up a hand. ''Well, what do you make of it? I've seen this before. In my infancy. My tribe wiped out much the same.''

Talos was quiet for a long moment. He'd also witnessed such things. However, it had been Talos with tribal blood on his blade. Before King Allant's wars with the Demons, he'd set his sights on territorial expansion. The tribes that occupied the surrounding mountains and valleys had been uncooperative, and so they were annihilated. Talos had only joined Boletaria's army at the very end of Allant's campaigns against the tribes, but he'd still been apart of the final battles in the waning two years. Whole villages put to the torch, their people massacred if they failed to swear fealty. Long Bow Oolan and her tribe had become Boletaria's Hoplites, while she herself became one of the vaunted Knights of Boletaria. This was years prior to Talos' prime, and she had stated that the tribes weren't innocent victims. She recounted tales of tribes killing each other in barbaric displays to please their nature gods. Hers had been no different. Even as far back as Old King Doran's time, they'd tested their blades against Boletaria's walls in unprovoked acts of aggression.

In her words: ''The fools had it coming. I saw the coming of dawn while they clung to the savage night. Do not weep for them. Their fate is of their choosing.''

Talos hesitated to speak because, at the time, it had felt right. To lay the savages low and pave the way for civilisation's growth. It had been so easy back then. But now, looking at Nepheli, who was a ferocious hurricane bottled in the form of a woman, he wondered if he'd slain many with her quiet fortitude and sense of honour without so much as a thought. But time and distance had brought perspective. He was young then, but ancient now. And besides, these Albinaurics were feeble and hid themselves away. They couldn't be aggressors even if they tried.

''This is wrong,'' he finally spoke, ''it must be punished.''

Nepheli nodded, her jaw working before she formed words. ''This is the oppression of the weak. Murder and pillage unchecked. A waking nightmare, made by men.'' That would have been an amusing turn of phrase to the Dark Lord, but only he would be laughing, if humourlessly.

''I noticed a fresher trail of carnage before I found you. Your work, I take it,'' Talos said.

''Yes. It is only right, isn't it? The one's who did this. They're my father's men. They would only act on his word, so who else should put an end to them than I?''

So it was Gideon Ofnir who had ordered this. Talos knew there was something he didn't like about him. He had developed something of a sense for deceivers and users. He'd been at the knife-point of their schemes many times, and the sudden urge to rip Patches' head from his shoulders followed that thought.

''Has he ever done this before? At least while you've known him?''

Nepheli shook her head. ''No. He always spoke against things like this. He promised me he'd never allow to weak to be taken advantage of again,'' he dry bark of laughter was grim, ''yet here we are. A village of Albinaurics slaughtered by those stronger than them for reasons neither they or I understand.'' Nepheli shook her head slowly as her jaw set. ''I will speak with him. I will have answers.''

''Are you sure that is wise? Ofnir – for as little time I have spent with him – doesn't seem like the kind of man that lays the truth bare simply because one asks. He tried to hide this, and he will no doubt hide his motives. Especially when he considers himself your better.'' The words stung, but Nepheli knew it was true. He had taken her under his wing and raised her, but familial warmth had been buried in the sands of the Badlands with her parents. Ofnir only explained what he really had to, opting to obfuscate the lion's share of his knowledge from her. For a man as learned as he, he guarded knowledge jealously like a thirsting man with his last drops of water.

''Then what do you suggest I do? Just... let him be? This cannot go unanswered!'' she growled in frustration.

''No. I know how difficult that would be for you, and it is not my place to tell you either way. I merely advise caution. Expect his scorn. Not his explanation,'' Talos replied. He walked closer and laid a hand on her shoulder, prompting her to look up at him. ''Whatever happens, know that you are not alone. There is little we can do from within the Roundtable Hold. Its anomalous properties somehow enforce non-aggression. What is important is what we do out here. For all of his knowledge, Ofnir is limited so long as he remains stationary. That will be the key to victory.''

Nepheli Loux hooked her axes back onto her belt. She ran a hand through her hair, her irritation palpable. But still, Talos felt her relax and removed his hand.

''You are right, I... I'm sorry for losing my composure. I just hadn't expected this. From the man I called father, of all people. But I must go to him and try to find out why, at least. I will bear your warning in mind,'' she said sullenly.

''I will return to the Hold soon. When I do, let me know what occurred.'' With that said, the two parted ways. As Talos prepared to leave, he looked at the curious right half of the medallion the Albinauric – Albus – had given him. ''Where will this lead, I wonder,'' he muttered.

Sellen started at the sound. Anything louder than her own footsteps and breathing was a rarity these days, so the chorus of roars, shattering stone and meaty slap of a massive body slamming to the ground was alarming. Somebody had found her. The Pumpkin Head outside of her door was meant to be her jailer, conjured by her peers after her excommunication from Raya Lucaria and resultant imprisonment. And now it was dead and the heavy metal door to her refuge was being hauled open.

Her fingers flexed as she felt the currents of magic flow and ripple through her, ready to be expelled in a barrage of Glintstone sorcery. Had that eccentric, puff-sleeved witch hunter finally found her? If so, then he would not find his quarry wanting. Around her were her personal belongings. Research notes inked on aged parchment were rolled into bundles of scrolls on her slowly rotting, wooden table. While it wasn't ideal, the limited space only permitted her few candles be placed near the scrolls. She could worry about those later. It'd mean nothing if that painfully colourful fool had come to collect.

Only, what darkened her doorway wasn't a witch hunter, at least not to her expansive knowledge. No, it was a figure much too large to be him, and not nearly garish enough in dress.

''Oh? I wasn't expecting to find anybody down here,'' Talos said.

''And I was not expecting to have some brute intrude into my sanctuary. Consider us both surprised,'' Sellen replied in a scathing tone. She eyed the man. Sellen knew a Tarnished when she saw one. Ragged vagabonds like him were a trademark of their kind. However, what captured her attention and dulled her ire was the sorcerous energies roiling within and leaking out of him. Her extinguished ire re-emerged, reborn as curiosity. ''Hmm, Tarnished, are we? You are quite a ways from the Erdtree to wind up here. I am Sellen, a sorceress, quite plainly. And you are?''

''Talos. You wear the colours of Raya Lucaria, and yet you occupy this dank chamber. It seems we are both far from where we'd ought to be,'' he said. She scoffed.

''I'll forgive the insult as a result of ignorance. But that is not important. What is your purpose here, Talos? Surely you've not purposefully sought me out.''

''I have not. Truthfully, I was expecting to find a weapon or a trinket down here. And you look like neither.''

''An astute observation, to be sure,'' Sellen said flatly, ''while you cannot use me to bludgeon your enemies, I can occupy my time and yours if you've a mind for sorcery. As dedicated as I am to my studies, I am in the mood for a little refreshment. And a student would be a welcome distraction. Why, I can feel you have a wealth of potential, despite your appearance.''

''Perhaps I can teach you tact in return. A wonderful magic all of its own, I can assure you,'' he replied with a scowl. Sellen only laughed, the stone crown encompassing her whole head rendering the sound tinny.

''A degree of wit, too? We may just get along yet. Your response?'' she insisted. Talos pondered her proposition. He'd collected quite a few scrolls containing the lore of spells across his travels, learning all of them upon reading them. He was sure she wouldn't be necessary to his further magical development, but once again, the rhyme of the cycle echoed true here. He'd had many teachers, both in the ways of sorcery and miracles, as well as pyromancy. Sellen would be another to join them, it seemed.

''I entrust my learning to you, then. Teach me of Glintstone sorcery.''

''Ah, so you know of it. Perhaps I was indeed correct in my assessment. But one should choose their masters carefully, Talos. I was exiled from Raya Lucaria as an apostate witch. Are you sure you still wish to learn from one as reviled as me?''

He suppressed a groan. She sounded like Yuria, the witch of Boletaria.

''You'd be surprised from what and whom I've learned. Shall we begin, my teacher?'' he asked wryly.

''Very well, my apprentice. Do not expect me to coddle or praise you. A piece of work such as you should expect only grievances,'' she said with a smile in her voice.

And thus, hours of study and discussion passed. As he did with all things that could be learned, he devoured the knowledge she offered without pause. He made connections between topics, extrapolating meaning and formulating his own thoughts. It wasn't her spells that he was interested in. He was sure he could find the scrolls for those elsewhere, anyway. No, it was the revelations about the nature of Glintstone that had him enraptured.

The power of Glinstone was the power of the stars themselves. Each cast of a spell was the weaponisation and utilisation of ancient life energies to destroy one's foes or influence the world around the caster. It was in a similar vein to channelling the raw power of gods through miracles, but he more closely related it to wielding the power of the cosmic predators that lurked in the space between worlds. In both disciplines, the sorcerer or hunter had to look outward. They had to study an alien space full of alien things, trying to latch onto knowledge that, at their basest, humans were never meant to fathom.

His mind churned as he sat with Sellen. Glintstone – the life essence of the stars – could be an analogue to the Old Blood of the Great Ones. Both bestowed power from an otherworldly source, though to what Glintstone's limits were, Talos had yet to find. But if it was indeed similar in more ways to Old Blood than just being from the cosmos, then it was indeed a dangerous thing to wield if used carelessly. He'd seen the marionettes of bone and metal animated by Glintstone. Even dragons like Adula were changed after consuming sorcerers, as her scales had become studded with crystalline growths that hummed with cosmic energies. What was the extreme, then? What abominable things could result from its reckless use?

Behind his helmet, Talos cast Sellen a side-long glance. She had been exiled from the academy. Why? As she'd stated, she was an apostate. She was someone who defied the established order of thought, likely delving into things deemed forbidden and extremely dangerous. Perhaps her warning warranted more consideration than he'd first thought, but now he was in the best position to learn more. All he'd have to do was wait, learn, and let her reveal that on her own.

The sorceress wasn't much for conversation. Each word exchanged was strictly applied to their study, allowing for no gaps for personal details to seep out. She was a guarded soul, Talos was certain. Then, it only made sense. Wielders of sorcery – for all their physical frailty – had minds as towering and iron-barred as any fortress erected by the hands of men. The manipulation of universal forces was the ultimate exercise of control, both of one's self and the cosmic currents around them. Keeping secrets and hidden motives should be elementary for even the most untested acolyte.

As Talos grew in power, there were many occasions in which his perception of the world and others had broadened. His ability to find that which was hidden was uncanny, but entirely explainable. He simply possessed Insight. The knowledge of the mad was as much a part of his mind as his own memory. And being a god – a disgusting admission even now – he could see into the hearts of others. However, the degree to which he could relied solely on the individual he studied. Godrick had been like reading a store sign. Bold, bright, easy to understand at a mere glance. However, Sellen was similar to Rennala in their nigh impenetrability. The only difference was that Sellen's heart swirled with the heavy shadows of sin. There was a taint within her, and Talos was certain it was connected to her ambition. Yharnam's church and Byrgenwerth had been steeped in blood for the sake of their goals that would forever stain whatever achievements they made. The blood birthed monsters and nightmares, and only death followed.

He didn't trust her. He couldn't. The parallels were few for now, but stark enough for him to notice. In fact, he wasn't even sure that the woman he sat beside was even there at all. The signs were subtle. The sound of her feet on the stone was slightly muffled, and the ruffle of her robes seemed somewhat muted. In addition to that, he could hardly feel her presence, like he was sitting with a ghost in an empty room. If this woman were an illusion, then it was a powerful one. It frustrated him that he could not see the reality of the world as he could in Yharnam, as each world operated using different mechanisms, not given to providing one-to-one exactness with each other and his godly abilities.

''I think that is enough for now,'' Sellen said abruptly. The unseeing eyes of her crown turned towards him. ''You are a remarkably quick study, it must be said. I'd thought you a complete novice, but I think we have established that is not the case. Are you sure you weren't a student of the academy at one point?''

''Raya Lucaria's gates were sealed long before my time, my teacher,'' he lied smoothly, ''but I have dabbled in sorcery for some time. Necessity breeds invention – or in my case – improvisation. You are my first and only formal instructor.''

''Is that right?'' the sorceress replied with an appraising tone. Her hand came to rest against her crown's chin, cupping it in thought. ''Well, far be it for me to say prodigies don't still exist from time to time. Arrogant it may sound, but I was much like you in that way. Hmm, we may be kindred spirits.''

''Perhaps...'' Talos trailed off, then stood. ''If we are finished, then I will leave you in peace. I'd hate to have given you a headache by forcing you down to my level.''

Sellen chuckled. ''Oh, yes. Your dullard's aura was just sapping at my colossal intellect. Now begone before I start drooling and picking my nose. Be well, my apprentice.''

Grace glowed warmly in the darkness. On a hill overlooking the plains of Limgrave, Talos stared into the golden light, his mind blessedly empty. Moments like this were rare for him. Every waking moment had his thoughts in a constant whirlwind, whether it be in combat or planning his next move. But here on the hill, surrounded by a gentle breeze, the chirping of insects and the wink and fade of fireflies, those thoughts had become unusually calm. He'd noticed this oddity ever since his nocturnal encounter with Trina several nights ago. She had specified that she would halt his nightmares, but perhaps the waking thoughts and fitful dreams of a god were not so different.

A billion-billion tiny lights twinkled afresh in the ink-black sky. The movement of the stars following the death of Radahn had changed the cosmic topography of the night, birthing new scenes with each setting of the sun. Tadpoles of starlight with fat heads and tapering tails flashed across the sky so fast, one would need only blink and they would never know they'd passed. Among it all, the ghostly moon sat large and serene above the auric Erdtree as if cradled by its upper branches.

Talos looked up to see a figure silhouetted against the golden glow of the towering tree. The womanly shape was unmistakable.

'''Tis beautiful, is it not?'' Marika asked, not turning towards her Consort. Her hands were locked together in front of her as she drank in the Erdtree's radiance.

''What is?''

''This,'' she spread her arms as if she were trying to embrace what she saw, ''whatever its nature, there is beauty to be found, regardless.''

''I wouldn't know,'' Talos replied, ''I can see the moon and the stars. They are breathtaking. But you mean the Erdtree, don't you?''

''I moved mountains to keep the light alive, Talos. Every life taken and drop of blood spilled, 'twas all so the rays of gold might shineth upon the land. Only for it to be a lie. A fabrication born of a thing not of this world,'' she lowered her arms, ''with myself as its puppet and executor.''

''If you can find beauty in something, do it. I've found it in the strangest things,'' Talos replied.

''I know,'' she smiled, ''thy memories hath shown me.''

Talos almost snorted. ''There any point in us talking if my memories do it for me?''

''Perhaps I like the sound of thy voice. Or perhaps I'd rather hear thy recall from thine own lips. Thou'st shared little with me in recent days,'' Marika replied, finally turning to face him. Framed within the twinned ethereal lights of the moon and tree, Talos was suddenly struck again by how lovely her appearance was. Only now, he found himself willing to indulge in it, if only a little. Gold edged her body while lunar silver streaked her wavy, auric locks.

''The retelling would be more accurate if you just poked around my head some more.'' Marika looked askance at him. She swore he was purposefully being dense.

'''Tis hardly the point. What I learn is given freely. But why, then, dost thou think I wish to speak with thee?'' At this, he merely shrugged. ''Because that which is volunteered possesseth true meaning. I couldst plumb the depths of thy memories 'til my heart's content. But then what need wouldst there be for us to exchange words?'' Marika walked forward and then sat by Talos on the grass, their shoulders a hair's breadth from contact. ''My intent is honest, dear Consort. I wish for closeness between us. I wish for trust. Mutual and true.''

Talos shuffled slightly. He hadn't been near the Eternal Queen since their first meeting, and at that time, he'd been more than ready to tear just one more god to pieces on principle alone. But she'd been helpful thus far. And in one of his darkest moments – after the night with Fia – she'd given him the kick he'd needed to stand back up and face General Radahn. He wondered, then, if he'd been needlessly callous or neglectful. Perhaps he had, but he wasn't in the habit of treating gods with anything but casual disdain at best, and concentrated, murderous wrath at worst. Whatever the case, Talos knew that his relationship with Marika – whatever came of it – would be anything but simple.

'Plunge down from the plank, right, Priscilla?' he thought. He'd had no reason to trust the Half-Breed, then. Yet she hadn't led him astray. So perhaps Marika could be worthy of some trust.

Talos lay back on the grass. Marika looked down at him, and he motioned for her to do the same. Her radiant, golden eyes lingered on him for a moment, then she followed, laying back and stared up at the ever-changing sky.

''I used to camp under the stars all the time. Back when I was just a footman in King Allant's army. I had a friend, Feifen, who used to chart the stars. Often times, he'd tell me about the constellations over a drink,'' Talos said, ''there weren't many others who listened to him, but that lad just wanted someone to talk to, I think.''

''Did he not fit in?'' Marika asked. Talos shook his head.

''He was a mage. And a noble's son, no less. Two of the most alienating things you could be in levied regiment of peasants and tavern brawlers. Most were too busy trying not to get his finery dirty for fear of execution, but Feifen was a good lad. He was the fourth-born son, not entitled to much, and so he wasn't groomed for courtly life like his older brothers. Instead, he learnt sorcery and astrology before deciding he wanted to take a crack at some demons.''

''Life is not kind to noble scions low in the line of accension. 'Tis common practice to have more than two children merely as insurance should the first or second child perish. I imagine he sought the battlefield to chase freedom, or to prove himself,'' Marika said.

''Both. House Ekrond was infamous for its strict adherence to systems deemed archaic even back then. The best a third or fourth child could expect was to die defending the eldest. That's why he was even allowed to go. He was out of the way. Just so happened he was defending the realm. All so Lord Ekrond's bastard son, Vogun, could sleep soundly. Paranoid little shit even tried accusing Feifen of being a warlock trying to curse him. Lad was a saint, Marika. A bloody saint.''

''Thou speakest highly of him,'' she replied softly, having rolled onto her side to watch her Consort.

''Not highly enough. Don't have the words, really,'' he sighed, ''we'd find a quiet spot away from camp to drink, and he'd chart the stars, telling me about them and the myths attached to them. I was... well, I was a curmudgeon even in my youth, so I brushed it off as fanciful tales spun by toffs with too much time on their hands, while real men had their hands in the dirt and a blade on their hip.

A curmudgeon? ''Thine own words, Talos,'' the Eternal Queen smirked, but he just shrugged.

''I know what I am. I was a young curmudgeon. Now I'm just an appropriately old curmudgeon. Even my father said I was an old man from birth.''

''In temperament, perhaps. But from thy memories, I see a rather strapping young man,'' Marika said, lightly prodding his cheek. She stilled momentarily, wondering if she'd overstepped. Her worries were eased when he gave a wan smile. But it wasn't at her.

''Eventually, I started to take him seriously. He'd fixed me up a good few times, and I stopped dismissing his stories about the stars. Problem was, I had nothing to give in exchange. But, being a clever lad, he asked me to teach him swordsmanship.''

''Was he not insulted by thee? After all, had thou not implied he were not a 'real man'?'' Marika questioned.

''I think he was. Didn't show it, though. Didn't stop him from talking with me. I was the only one who listened, even with my sour mood most of the time. But, it was only years later that I realised he never talked down to me. He was a noble and I was a serf indentured to care for the king's dragons with my father. He was educated while I was a know-nothing just looking for a fight. Feifen taught me a lot, but more importantly, he taught me how to teach myself. I didn't teach him much swordsmanship. Told him to keep a spear on him at all times and showed him how to use that.''

''Wise. The sword is ill-suited to sorcerers, especially a novice in the weapon's use. The spear is a fine choice for the untrained,'' Marika commented.

''Correct, but it's more complicated than that.''

''Oh? Do tell.''

''We slew demons. But killing demons grants you their power. Thing is, the demon's power bolsters the slayer's natural strengths. I couldn't use magic worth a shit. But I quickly found I could lift a dead horse – armour and all – from a knight with the smallest effort. And I mean over my head, Marika. So while I got physically stronger, Feifen didn't. So I decided a spear would be best just to keep his distance. If he could do that, then annihilating a demon with his spells would be easy.''

Marika thought on this, pondering the implications of what Talos had said. Depending on how long the wars with the demons lasted, this 'King Allant' could have had a wealth of incredibly powerful combatants at his disposal. And ultimately, it was those demon-empowered warriors that destroyed the kingdom as the king sank into corruption.

''What became of Feifen?'' she asked.

''After I was knighted for my service, I took him into my household as an advisor. His own family didn't like that one of their own were in service to a new-blood house, but once again, as long as their precious first-born was unaffected, they couldn't care less. He stayed with my family for a little over ten years, educating my own children while I used my connections to find him a wife,'' he chuckled, ''poor lad was mortified at first, but it worked out in the end.'' Then his smile dropped.

''Thou needn't speak the rest. I already know. Boletaria fell in the following years,'' the Eternal Queen intoned. Through their bond, she'd seen everything Talos had seen. Feifen's corpse had been crucified above the gate to Talos' estate. The sorcerer's family were never found.

It grieved Marika that whenever the topic of Talos' past came up, it always turned to tragedy. She knew the man's history was a tapestry woven of torn banners and dyed with blood, more a horror story than a lived experience. But there were moments of light and joy in there. But were there truly so few?

''Anyway,'' Talos said suddenly, ''why can I see you now? You haven't shown yourself since we first met.''

Quietly relieved at the change of topic, she answered. ''The Great Runes strengthen me as well as thee. Those great yet scattered shards of the Elden Ring are closely tied to mine own power as the chosen god of the Greater Will. Just as they cause thy form to burgeon, they cause my spirit to anchor more strongly to thee. I am still a mere spectre, but I can touch and be seen of my own accord, dear Consort.''

''I see,'' Talos said thoughtfully, ''and it stands to reason that if I gather them all, I can restore you when I reach the Erdtree.''

'''Tis as thou say. I must be made whole if I am to return to my corporeal flesh. Thou... will still do this, correct?'' she said warily. In many ways, Marika still had little idea exactly where she stood with Talos. She believed that the worst of his ire towards her had passed. In fact, when she studied his emotions, they were calm and actually somewhat pleasant whenever the two spoke. She was certain that he was at least at ease with her presence now.

''Continue to aid me, and restoring you will be the least I could do. But after that-''

''Thou knowest my wish. However, I remember what thou'st said. To rule is not thy wish,'' Marika recalled that Talos had also said he would leave the Lands Between eventually. However, the note of hesitation still rung in her mind as she'd grasped onto it tightly. What could entice him to stay? It seemed like a principled action that he'd leave after the Outer Gods were slain, but she believed he and they were nothing alike. He was a man of flesh and blood, heart and mind. She'd plucked the notes of his humanity as he condemned himself before the battle with the Starscourge, and they had resonated with him. Deep down, he must have still believed there was something of his humanity left. If only she could tease it out. Anchor it and have him stand proud of what he was. He was an extraordinary man, but a man all the same. Now if only that didn't include being extraordinarily stubborn, she would have a much easier time of it. But, in the end, she supposed that's what had allowed him to get as far as he had.

''Our fates doth run together, my Consort. But I wonder, what say thy cycle of our union? Is there a precedent for such a thing?'' Marika questioned. Talos' brow creased as he contemplated the question.

''No...'' he said at last, ''… such a thing has never happened before. Which confounds me. It's not like the cycle to introduce new elements.''

''Which calls into question the integrity of the cycle, no? Perhaps my joining with thee is an exception it cannot account for, thus presenting an opportunity. A true opportunity to be free of it forever.'' The Eternal Queen's eyes shone as she leaned closer, considerations of decorum forgotten. At this moment, she wasn't a monarch or a god. She was a woman who sensed she was making progress with the object of her desire. Practicality aside, there was something as yet unknown that drew her to him. At first she had thought it was his strength, then his ability to upend the Greater Will, but neither felt correct. It was something else. Something subtler.

Rather than answer, Talos shrugged. ''We'll see,'' were his final words on the matter, ''where should we head next?'' Silence was the reply. He looked at Marika, seeing her eyes narrowed and her mouth and her bottom lip pushed out. He smirked with genuine amusement. There was no world where he expected to see that face on a god, of all things. ''Are you seriously pouting at me? Like some scolded child?'' Her eyes narrowed further.

''I do not appreciate thee evading my question. When wilt thou answer?'' she lay back down and huffed in annoyance, blowing some stray locks of golden hair from her face. Talos sighed and rolled to his side to face her, propping his head up on his hand. It was a casual movement, somewhat playful, Marika noted.

''There is much time between then and now. It is far too soon to set anything in stone. I might die. Someone else might ascend the throne before me. Any number of things could put a halt to my quest. But – and I mean this – should I come to stand before you, I will restore you,'' then he gave her a grin, ''and until then, you have plenty of time to convince me to do any more.''

A challenge, then? Well, what would Queen Marika be if not a challenger? She rolled to her side again, their faces close as they stared each other down.

''Thou shalt rue the day thou challenged me, dear Talos. I will have thee know that I am very good at getting what I want,'' she declared.

''And I happen to be incredibly stubborn. This is a war of attrition, Marika. Let's see who breaks first,'' Talos replied. The stare down lasted for a short while, but as the seconds passed, their faces betrayed them. Marika finally chuckled while Talos smiled and gave an amused hum.

They both lay on their backs, then. ''I believe heading to the Altus Plateau with haste is the wisest course. Though, I understand thou'st business left unfinished elsewhere. But, I wouldst return to the Roundtable Hold, were I you,'' Marika suggested.

Talos found himself in agreement. Checking up on the Hold's denizens wasn't a bad idea. Besides, he needed to catch up with Nepheli. He was worried what might become of her after confronting Gideon Ofnir. Roderika and himself had hardly exchanged words, and he knew the poor girl had wanted to speak with him. He was sure Irina and Edgar were fine, as he was certain Lanya was keeping Diallos in line. And yet, Fia still required attention. He couldn't afford to ignore the implications her presence within the cycle might hold. While Talos was steeled for future encounters – both of a casual and carnal nature – he couldn't shake off the wrongness of it. Not just because of his late wife, but because he didn't know what he was complicit in by providing her with his life force. The Deathbed Companion had a grand design in mind, but the details were yet absent. That needed to be looked into, no matter the method necessary.

''A return is overdue,'' Talos admitted, ''and I think we should go now. No sense lingering here, pleasant as it is.''

''My thanks, and the view is also lovely,'' Marika added teasingly. Talos rolled his eyes.

''Modest, aren't you,'' he intoned flatly, ''now vanish. Don't need the others asking questions.''

As suddenly as she arrived, Marika was gone. He had to admit, he felt much better after that exchange than he had in a long time. The tension between them was at an all time low, and while she was still being pushy, she wasn't being overbearing. Still, he felt dishonest. This little game of theirs, this challenge to convince him to finally marry her and rule together, it was little more than a stalling tactic. But Talos knew himself. He may very well change his mind in the coming days, but it would require something truly unprecedented for that to occur.

But what if she was right? What if their union was the beacon he needed to smash free of the confines the cycle trapped him in? It bore consideration at least, because no previous event matched this at all. Was everything he'd endured been a mere preamble to finally encountering the Eternal Queen? If so, then the forces orchestrating all of this truly defied reason. But still, the thought remained in his mind, repeating over and over. Maybe, just maybe... Marika was the key.

He returned to the Roundtable Hold. Something was... off. Everything was dark. Everything was quiet. Nobody was there. The only sound that cut through the silence was the rattle-clank of armour. Breathing through a smothering helmet. The drawing of weapons.

The silent, skull-faced Ensha rounded the corner, the black pits of his eyes locked onto Talos.

He charged.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.8K 302 12
This is a book for all of my oneshots and x Reader stories, sometimes I get random ideas between writing my main stories, these ideas were originally...
730 45 21
The Pokemon of this world... They all harbor such meaningless emotions of love and friendship! With the power of the Dark Arts, I'm going to crush th...
1.6K 79 5
As a kid, Izuku always dreamed of being a hero with his best friend Katsuki and his sister Emiko, and he always wanting to be like his favorite hero...
90 0 20
This is my most recent work and I spent a while making this one possible. This story has somewhat of a Dark Souls sort of feel to it but it is all mo...