The kompromat to order

By StacyBrownWriter

My name is Emma and my profession is unusual for most people. But for me, there is something romantic about i... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
13.
14.
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24

12

1 0 0
By StacyBrownWriter

 As I was getting out of the shower, I heard the phone ring. When I picked up the phone, I was almost deafened by Christina's alarmed scream:

- Emma, where are you? Are you okay?

- Everything is fine, Chris, don't worry.

After a few seconds of silence, she spoke more calmly:

- Yes, I understand... if you are in danger, say that you don't know what was asked on international law.

- Chris, - I said, laughing, - I'm really fine.

- Are you sure? - my friend asked incredulously. - Where are you?

- In the dorm, in my room.

- Then put your roommate on the phone... what's her name?

- Tanya? She hardly ever comes here. She lives with her boyfriend in an apartment. She only comes back here when they fight.

- Okay, I'll believe you...

- Thank you very much, - I replied sarcastically.

- But why do you sound so cheerful? A couple of hours ago you were saying goodbye to your life, and now...

- Let's not talk on the phone. It's a long story.

- Another long story? No, I can't take another one without wine.

I laughed and answered:

- Come.

- I understand, I'll be there soon.

After finishing the conversation, I started getting dressed and preparing dinner for our bachelorette party. After a while, there was a knock on the door. I was sure it was Chris, so I opened the door. But the smile instantly disappeared from my face when I saw Max with three roses in his hands.

- Hi, - he said timidly.

- Why did you come? - I asked him, standing in the doorway and preventing him from entering.

- Emma, I wanted to apologize. I said too much then...

- Whenever I meet you, you always say something unnecessary, - I was indignant.

- Please forgive me, I just had too much to drink and... I really don't think so, - he looked at me guiltily and I felt sorry for him.

- Okay, come in, - I let him in.

He came in timidly and stayed near the door. Noticing the table set for two, he asked:

- Are you waiting for someone?

- Yes. Would you like to join us for dinner?

He grimaced as if I had offered him something disgusting, turned around and flew out of the room. I was left standing in the middle of the room, not understanding what had caused such a sudden change in his behavior.

A couple of minutes later, the door opened and Chris came in.

- Listen, my friend, I'm barely alive.

- What happened? - I asked.

- Max almost pushed me down the stairs. He was running like a madman.

- He came to see me.

- What for?

- I don't know. He came with roses, apologized, and when I asked him to stay for dinner, he took off like a man on fire.

- Roses? Red roses? - Chris asked smiling.

- Yes... - I said, not understanding what she was getting at.

- Well, you can have them if you want. They're lying on the landing in front of the stairs, or at least all that's left of them, - she took off her shoes and walked into the room, - it looks like someone has beaten them up pretty bad. Oh, Emma, you really pissed off the guy!

- How? I just offered to join us for dinner, - I said indignantly, not understanding what my friend meant.

- Yeah, I set the table for two... I can imagine what Max thought when he saw that.

- What nonsense!

- It's nonsense to you, but he's really hung up on you. So be careful with him.

I was surprised by Max's behavior, but I didn't want to talk about him anymore, so I noticed a large bag in my friend's hands and asked:

- Did you rob a store?

- Emma, - my friend said sadly, - can I spend the night at your place?

- Of course you can, it's not the first time you've done it. You'll sleep on Tanya's bed, - I asked, worried about my friend, - but what happened?

- Before I could leave the house, our teacher-demoness called my mother and told her that I was not at the lecture today... and it started. I listened to a whole concert on the highest notes about what an ungrateful daughter I was, packed my things... and now I want to drink.

- Chris, I'm sorry, - I hugged my friend.

- Forget it, let's not talk about that today. I'm much more interested in knowing what you talked to Wilson about.

Our meeting over dinner and a bottle of wine lasted late into the evening. I was talking, and Chris was listening to my every word like a child. Later, as she finished the wine in her glass, she sang cheerfully:

- He's got the hots for you...

The words of her friend caused a gentle ache in my heart and a smile. Noticing this, she added:

- Ohhhh, and you're in love...

- Chris, come on! This is not a romantic situation at all! - I replied, blushing.

- Yes, it is! He's a handsome man and the coolest lawyer in town, you're all honors, smart and beautiful...

- Yeah, and a kompromat hunter, - I added sadly.

- Well, you wanted to quit this job, so be happy. You have that opportunity! - she added, as if remembering something, - and how much will he pay you?

- We haven't discussed this issue at all, - I said in confusion.

- Oh, so he's going to pay you in kind? - and we burst out laughing.

After calming down a bit, I said:

- I don't know, Chris. I wish I could somehow get out of this story without consequences. Money is so important... I just realized what a serious game I started playing.

- Don't worry, everything will be fine, - Chris said, and closed her eyes as she sat up in bed.

- Good night, - I said, and covered her with a blanket. She only purred in response.

I cleared the table and went to bed. I didn't want to sleep, so I picked up my phone. Opening my correspondence with Rob, I read a lot of warm and romantic confessions that he wrote to me while he was on a business trip. Suddenly, the thought occurred to me that he had written all this knowing that he was my assignment. Was he really writing about his feelings, or was it a game?

I took a breath of determination and decided to write to him:

"If you already knew that you were my assignment, why did you write to me about your feelings?"

Almost instantly, he appeared online and started writing something. I kept my eyes on him and waited for his reply for what seemed like an eternity. But finally a message came:

"Because I hoped for reciprocity." A minute later he sent another message: "Everything I wrote is true. And even though my feelings are not reciprocated, I hope that someday you will love me."

His words grabbed, squeezed, and squeezed my heart. At that moment, I felt unworthy of this man. If he is telling the truth and there are real feelings between us, this complicates things even more. I have already realized that I have fallen in love with him completely and irrevocably. But our relationship is not easy. And I'm just afraid of being left with a broken heart later, when I fulfill all the agreements and there is no task between us named Evan.

Looking for the right words, I wrote and erased fifty answers for him. But I fell asleep, leaving him unanswered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.3K 1.2K 40
• Nothing Lasts Forever • [#114 in Action (08.09.16)] (#395 in Training) +COMPLETED+ A cup full of action, a spoonful of humor, and a teaspoon of ro...
3.1K 163 82
A rich spoiled boy from an affluent political family got attracted to a simple middle class girl. He tried to seduce her in vain. So he abducted her...
18.3K 654 61
*DON'T READ THIS ONE FIRST!! It won't make much sense! ~Sequel to Who She Is~ Mature Content After making her mine and learning some of her dark secr...
644K 13.8K 43
I glare at him, "I gave you information, so you let me go. That was the deal." He raises an eyebrow, "Are you forgetting who you're talking to? Watch...