Checkmate.

By K_wriites

BWWM I scoff, "you think I'll get on my knees & beg to an asshole like you?! Well-".I'm cut off by a raspy c... More

Introduction
Chapter 1. - Grey Eyed Asshole.
Chapter 2- Surprise, Suprise.
Chapter 3- Friend group.
Chapter 4- Let hell begin.
Chapter 5- Pay attention.
Chapter 6- Practice makes perfect.
Chapter 7- Perv.
Chapter 8- I'll give you what you want.
Chapter 9- Bathroom break.
Chapter 10- Dont get comfortable.
Chapter 11- Sandwich.
Chapter 12- The race.
Chapter 13- Sore loser.
Author's note
Chapter 14- New face.
Chapter 15- Dog
Chapter 16- Found you.
Chapter 17- fuck buddy.
Chapter 18- the Deal
Chapter 19- secrets revealed
Chapter 20- Turning point.
Chapter 21- Game Day.
Chapter 22- The Game
Chapter 23- Celebration.
Chapter 24-Princess
Chapter 25-Project
Chapter 26- Alone.
Not an update
Chapter 27- The mistake.
Chapter- 28 Drunk.
Chapter 29- The box.
Chapter 30- Pizza
Chapter 31- Taste โš ๏ธ
Chapter 32 - The news
Chapter 34- Class
Chapter 35- Hoodie
Chapter 36- The Fight.
Chapter 37- Winner
Chapter 38- Details
Chapter 39- Agreement.
Chapter 40- The Deal.
Chapter 41- Compliment
Chapter 42- taken
Chapter 43- Aftermath
Authors note (not an update)
Chapter 44- Anger
Chapter 45- Sapphire
Chapter 46- Back to normal.
Chapter 47- touch me
Author's note
Chapter 48- Chaos
Chapter 49- traitor
Chapter 50- M.I.A
Chapter 51- Safe
Chapter 52- Free
Chapter 53- Yes.

Chapter 33- The ball

2.8K 102 40
By K_wriites

THE DAY OF THE BALL

ZARIA'S POV

"This dress is so itchy." I adjust the silky royal blue gown I wore. After the talk with Jayden, Dante had his assistant fit me for a gown. It was beautiful, I offered to pay for it, but Dante told me not to worry about it.

"Will you stop complaining? It looks perfect on you." Queen flicks me on the forehead as she does the last few touch ups to my wig.

"I know, i know." I groan as she sprays setting spray causing me to cough. "My god- that's enough." I snatch the can out her hand as she starts laughing before coughing aswell. "All done." I glance in the mirror taking in my appearance. I have on a little makeup, not too much but enough to see.

My wig is a beautiful raven color, darker than my natural hair for sure. "You look beautiful, Z. My little girl growing up!" Queen wipes a fake tear off her face causing me to roll my eyes. I check my phone, specifically the time. "Thank you Q, I should get ready to go I'm sure Dante will be here soon—" no sooner than I finish my statement there's a knock at the door.

I hold my gown up trying my best not to trip over it. Another knock. "I'm coming I'm coming. Stupid heels." Once I finally make it to the door, I swing it open revealing Dante.

He's dressed in a matte black suit, his sleeves are rolled up revealing his tattoos. Fuck he looks good. His face is freshly shaved, really showing his chiseled chin.

"You alright there sweetheart?" He rest his arm on the doorframe. "I'm fine." I clear my throat finally meeting his gaze. His eyes wonder over my body as well. You aren't slick.

"Ready to go?" He holds his hand out to me and I glance back at Queen who's been staring this whole time.
"Yes." I place my hand in his as we begin walking to the car.

Once we reach the car, Dante opens my door before rounding the car to get in. Once in, he takes occasional glances at me before placing his hand on my thigh. I lightly tense before relaxing as the car grows silent. Once we pull up, Dante once again opens my door, before helping me out.

"Wow." I take a minute to breathe in the beautiful scenery in front of me. This place is huge. Theres a beautiful gold water fountain right in the center, surrounded by flowers.

I also notice the people around us. Women walking in beautiful gowns, looking 10 times better than me. Dante takes my hand as we walk up the stairs.

"I can't do this." I stop halfway up. "What do you mean?" "I don't fit in- look around us- look at you! It's screams rich and elegant. That's not me." I take a deep breathe looking around once again.

"Look at me, Ria." I ignore him. "Look. At. Me." He grabs my chin turning my chin to face him.

"You have been a pain in my ass." Ouch. "But you look beautiful. Do you hear me? Stop doubting yourself, Zaria. Now let's go inside, it's cold." I can't help but smile. That was... sweet. Minus the whole "pain in my ass" comment.

As we walk, I hear someone call Dante's name and he stops walking. I try to look past him, but he keeps a firm grip on my hand. "Ah, my dearest friend. What happened to the fight? Don't tell me you're avoiding me." Lorenzo.

"Don't start Enzo, I have better shit to do." Dante grumbles out slightly pulling me behind him. "Like what? I sure you know I'm a business man. You've become a hot shot in the ring.

I want my business to pick up, you want to win money. I don't see why you won't fight? Unless, it's because of the other part of the deal... bringing your little friend along?"

Dante's grip on my hand tightens. "I don't know what you're talking about, she has nothing to do with me fighting." "Ah, I see." Lorenzo says with a chuckle. He steps beside Dante and glances at me. "Don't you look beautiful." He grins as Dante pushes him back.

"Cut the bullshit." "Just a friend right? I'm sure you wouldn't mind if I.. danced with her perhaps?"

"I don't give a fuck about what she does. But, we have shit to do first . So excuse us." He pushes past Lorenzo as the guards open the two large doors.

The ballroom is full of people, but it's amazing. The chandelier, the lighting, the scenery. All perfect. I cling onto Dante as he maneuvers through the crowded ballroom. "Ahh my son." A basically— older version of Dante says holding a glass of champagne.

"Hello Father." Dante greets him in a tone that's blunt. And dry. Why would he do that? "And who's this?" He turns his attention to me smiling revealing his yellow teeth. I try my best not to make a face.

"I'm Zaria..." I mutter out. "What a beautiful name. I'm Dante's father." Mafia boss man! Not exactly what I pictured. He reaches his hand out to me before Dante shoves it back.

"Where's Luke. I want to get this over with as soon as possible." Dante grumbles out. His expression is unreadable. "He hasn't arrived yet. Relax, get a drink, dance." Dante glances at me, almost as if he's asking me a question. I nod slightly as he leads me to the dance floor.

I wrap my arms around his neck as he wraps his around my waist. "I hope you have better dance skills than the ones I saw in the kitchen. Bitch. "I can dance, unlike you." I fire back causing him to chuckle as we sway to the music. As we continue dancing, Dante's phone buzzes in his pocket and he leads me to the bar.

"I need to go do something. Stay here. Don't talk to anyone. I mean it Zaria." And with that, he disappears into the crowd. I glance around the ballroom as I run across a familiar face. It- it- it can't be. My heart rate speeds up as I lock eyes with him. Gio.

How is he here? Why is he here? Did he follow me? A million questions run through my head as I leap up from the barstool as I make a break for the back hallway.

I glance back and I no longer see Gio. Clearly I was moving too fast because I run smack dab into someone. "Fuck." The man turns to me with a- now ruined, suit. Champagne is spilled all over his suit jacket.

I-I- I'm so sorry I didn't mean to run into you- or spill the champagne." My words get jumbled up as I continue to spit out apologies. "Shut up." The man snaps causing me to lightly flinch.

"This suit cost $5,000, unless you have that stuffed in that bag of yours, you better think of another way to pay me. He smirks taking a step towards me.

Is he talking about- no. "I don't have that kind of money sir- I can pay you back... eventually I promise. I plead as I take a step away from him. "Sorry sweet cheeks, that's not how this works. Either you pay with money... or some other method. His eyes rake over my body and I feel disgusted.

"I'm not going to fuck you. I said I'll pay you back. Please just let me go." I side step him,and he does the same blocking my path. "No can do. Let's go." He latches onto my wrist and begins pulling me towards the back hall.

Those surrounding us just watch as I plead for someone to help. "Please let go! Please! I claw at his hand as his grip tightens. I hear a gun cock as the man freezes. "Let her go, before I shoot you in the fucking dick." Luca. His face is deadly, as he points his gun to the man's head.

"Mind your business. This bitch owes me money." The man snarls. "How much?" "$5,000, and I doubt you have that much boy." Luca chuckles before reaching in his pocket and tossing the man a white envelope. "That's 10. Happy?"

This man just causally walks around with 10,000 dollars on him?! Are you serious?!" The man looks down at the envelope before looking back at me. "I prefer a different payment method.

"Do you want to die? Because if you don't then I suggest you release her. Now." I glance behind us and notice Dante approaching, Jayden is shortly behind him. The man shrinks before letting me go. I rub my wrist before walking to Jayden as he wraps a protective arm around me.

"Dagger?" He questions."You clearly don't listen, John. Should I have your wife come? I'm sure she'd be happy to see you with that slut of a date you have tonight. The press would eat it up." Dante chuckles taking a step towards the man. "Please don't. I- I- didn't know the slut was with you. She ruined my suit."

"And out of the kindness in my heart, my man offered to pay you. Plus interest." He motions to the white envelope on the floor. "Too bad you didn't take it. I won't make a scene here, but if I see you grab on another woman. Especially her. You won't have to worry about the press, because you'll be dead."

Dante's words come out harsh. Threatening as the muscles in his jaw flex. They weren't even directed at me, but I felt intimidated. The man nods before scurrying of and Luca puts his gun away. I turn to a pissed looking Jayden, and Dante turns to face us.

"Luca, go back to your post." Luca nods, and walks off. "Jayden, go find Blake. Tell him to keep an eye on John." He nods before glancing at me and walking off. I turn to walk back to bar before I'm caught by my waist and pulled into a side room.

"Didn't I tell you not to fucking move?" Dante's eyes are filled with anger as he keeps a tight grip on my waist. "I know Dante I'm sorry-"so why'd you move?" I pause at his question. I can't tell him I saw Gio. I can't. "I was looking for the bathroom." I lie. "You're lying."

"I wanted to explore ok! I'm sorry." I huff as I cross my arms. "This is not the kind of party you explore at ok? Just- please stay with me. And if I tell you to stay. Stay, Zaria." I nod as he lets my waist go.

I step towards the door before Dante grabs my hand. "Don't talk to just anyone. These people here aren't... good." I nod once again. Once we exit the room, I spot an older looking woman smiling at us. 

"My son! It's great to see you." She pulls Dante into a warm embrace. "And who is this beautiful young lady? The older woman looks at me with a warm smile. "I'm Zaria, it's nice to meet you ma'am."

"And she has good manners? Keep this one around boy. You hear me?" She hits Dante in the head lightly making him huff as I smile. "Will you be joining us for dinner?" My eyebrows raise slightly at her question.

"Oh no ma'am- I don't want to overstep-"nonsense! Please join us." I look at Dante to slightly nods. "Ok. Thank you." I hesitantly answer.

"Alright ladies and gentlemen, it's time for the auction! As you know, we raise money for charity by doing these auctions so thank you to all who signed up. As your name is called please come to the stage." A voice sounds over the speakers.

"Auction?" I glance at Dante "they do an auction every year. Lonely fuckers buy a date with girls who signed up." He says almost sounding annoyed. That sounds terrible. As the list of names is called, I freeze. "Zaria Williams." How did my name get on the list?! Dante's head snaps in my direction as the ballroom falls silent.

"Zaria Williams? You are our last person!" The voice over the speaker sounds again. Am I doing this? Holy shit. I take a step towards the stage before Dante grabs my wrist. "Don't, Zaria." He warns.

"It's for charity.." I whisper as he allows me to slip out of his grip. Applauds are heard as I enter the stage with a few other stunning women.

"Ok, first up..."

. . .

As the auction continues, many donations have been made... one dude paid a whole $20,000! Is he insane? "Last up, we have Zaria Williams." I step up as I scan the ballroom trying my best not to faint.

"$1,000." "$3,000." "$6,000" I listen as the prices continue to go up. All this for a date? Wow. I glance into the crowd again, and I spot him. Gio. Holding up his sign for the auction that reads- "$100,000! My goodness young man!" The speaker announces.

My face shifts to one of fear, and I frantically glance around the room looking for Dante. He's standing against the wall, his eyes meet mine and I silently plead for him to do something. "Going once- going twice sol-"1 million dollars."

Gasp can be heard all around as Dante steps to the front holding up his sign. Is he insane?!?! I glance up once again, and I notice Gio is gone. "Sold! Step up and claim your prize." The announcer speaks.

Dante walks up on stage and hooks his arm around my waist turning me to face him. "You just cost me a pretty penny. You gonna make up for it?" He teases. "A million dollars? Are you insane!" I whisper yell as we exit the stage.

"It's not even causing a dent in my wallet, let alone my bank account, relax sweetheart." "Why do you live in the dorms?! You could own the campus!"

"It's comfortable. And in school, I'm just a regular student, Zaria. I don't have these privileges... yet." We sit at a nearby table as Lorenzo sits next to me.

"Always out-doing people I see Dagger? Good friend you've got here." He rest his arm on the back of my chair. "What do you want Enzo." Dante pulls my chair closer to him, causing Enzo's arm to fall back to his side.

"A fight. That's all." "Fine." The two begin discussing details of the fight when I see that face again. I'm not going crazy. He's here. "I'll be back." I stand and walk off before Dante can utter a word.

I walk down the hallway I saw Gio in. I pass a door that's slightly open. I take a deep breath before pushing it open. Am I really do this? Yes I am. Here we go.

My breath hitches as the man turns around.

"Hello, love."

~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|

Is it Gio? Is it someone else's? Find out next xoxo

Thank yall for 7k reads that's actually insaneeee and for the love on the last few chapters ahhhh 🩵🩵

Do we like longer chapters? Or should I break them up?! Let me know

I'm proofreading in the morning so if you see anyone errors tonight... sorry pookies

10 votes = update up to u how soon

Vote

Comment

Vote

Comment

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.9K 920 48
WARNING: MATURE CONTENT!!! โ˜…Be careful who you trust. Because, even your bestfriend can also become your greatest enemyโ˜… Don't come close to me !" I...
4.7M 138K 43
Warning: THIS BOOK IS FOR MATURE READERS ONLY (18+). CONTAINS MATURE SCENES, VIOLENCE, AND LOTS OF CURSING. (A sequel to The Infamous Rafael Vali...
5K 141 25
"Do you do this with every girl you think is pretty or am I special?" "You're very special. You're my sapphire. You're my introspection and meditati...
373 42 34
"๐““๐“ฎ๐“ต๐“ช, ๐“ถ๐”‚ ๐“ ๐“พ๐“ฎ๐“ฎ๐“ท. ๐“˜'๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ธ๐“ท๐“ต๐”‚ ๐“ฌ๐“พ๐“ถ ๐“ฏ๐“ธ๐“ป ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ, ๐“ฒ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐”€๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฝ ๐“ถ๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ธ...๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ฌ๐“ด ๐“ซ๐“ช๐“ซ๐”‚, ๐“น๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ช๐“ผ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ช๐”‚ ๐”‚๐“ฎ๐“ผ." H...