Research: Romance

By Melpomene16

š–š”šžš§ šŸš¢šœš­š¢šØš§ š°š«š¢š­šžš«, š‹šžššš” š€š©š„š¢š§, š©š«šØš¦š¢š¬šžš¬ š”šžš« š§šžš±š­ š›šØšØš¤ š°š¢š„š„... More

prologue
interview
in-convenience
darlin'
finally
leap
meeting
phone call
wallpaper
plot
the study
a horrific idea
sweet dreams
ghost
plans
proximity
the four pt.1
double trouble
shrink
IOU
note
faking it
history
coffee
creepy-crawleys
motel
one bed
morning
urgency
manic monday
sobered
home
amusement park
holiday
road trip
dinner & dessert
friday i'm in love
take me out
the line

the four pt.2

46 7 10
By Melpomene16

The remainder of the exercise is easy, and considering Robin hasn't stopped staring at me with burning cheeks and slightly narrowed eyes, I feel confident that we made a real breakthrough as Robert and Liza. Of course, his glaring was entirely brought on because I refused to stop looking at him with a victorious smirk.

Despite it being a romantic exercise, Robin and I turned it into a competition of How severely can I make him/her blush with as few words as possible? It was all fair game, to say the least. A game Jack adored observing more than anyone. Each time he stopped by us to see how we were doing he would smile merrily and all but click his heels walking away.

Robin had a few honorable mentions, and one zinger that truly made me choke on my own spit. That one almost won. Almost. However, after I stopped coughing up my lungs, Robin stopped laughing, and both of us took a moment to pray for our souls, I knew there was only one thing to be done. I had an arsenal of words given to me by romance writers that should never be said aloud if one can help it. I promptly unloaded all of them upon the threat of losing.

Leaving Robin a rosy shade of embarrassment and me the winner.

"It seems I have some reading to do." He finally responds, breaking our stalemate with a obstinate fold of his arms. "This isn't over"

Laughing heartily, I shrugged, "When you want to lose, you know where to find me." I tip my head up playfully and sigh with a regal tone, "On my throne of innuendo, tucked away happily in my palace of verbal indecency. Queen Leah of Lewdland."

Robin snorts, raising his eyebrows, "Your parents must be so proud."

"They are." I sigh, shrugging as if it can't be helped, and smile at him brightly.

He presses his lips together, smothering another chuckle before scratching his head and saying, "I still want to talk to you... about what you asked me earlier."

The humor is gone from his voice, and I sober at his sincerity. "Me too."

We're still chest to chest, a detail that both of us realize simultaneously. Passing each other polite smiles, we step back into our own space. Robin exhales before clearing his throat, "Well, um. I should start by saying that there are things about that night I won't be able to t--"

Jack's voice booms out again, butting into Robin's explanation. "This is our last exercise so let's make it count!"

Passing him an apologetic smile, I turn from Robin to face Jack who is back up front. "Everyone remember airplane?"

There are some laughs and groans from the group which make Robin and I chuckle. Jack rolls his eyes dramatically and tosses his head from side to side, "Yes, yes, that one is always a big hit. Well, I think you'll like this variation better."

There's a note to his tone that makes Robin and I flash a look at each other in question. What other variation of airplane is there?

Jack senses the confusion and grins, "Oh, not so pouty now, huh?" Everyone laughs and he chirps, "Well, you know how to do 'flying airplane' Now, it's time to land."

"Land?" Robin echoes, his eyebrows pulling down. "What does he mean la-- Oh. Oh, no."

"What?" I look at Jack, then briefly back at Robin. "You don't think he means..."

Jack claps his hands, "Same partner positionings as before. Partner one on top and partner two on bottom. Let's land this plane and get sensual!"

Robin responds with a reconciled look on his face as the couples around us start to move into position.

"Of course. What else could he mean?" I shake my head, closing my eyes. Then I take a deep breath. After taking a moment to center myself, I nod resolutely and open my eyes. "Right, let's do it."

"What?"

I drop onto the mat and lay on my back, "We made it this far, partner. Can't quit now."

Robin looks around apprehensively, watching the others and then looking at Jack as he helps guide a couple into proper form. When he realizes I'm still staring at him expectantly, he slowly crouches down to the mat. Tentatively he drops to his knees, "You're sure about this?"

I shrug, scrunching up my face indifferently, "It's just for a moment and, besides, so far the class hasn't been that bad. We do this and we're out, easy-peasy."

Then I take in his expression and my heart lurches up my throat, "Wait, are you uncomfortable with this?" I sat up so fast we nearly cracked foreheads. "Have you not been --"

Robin shakes his head in a heartbeat, holding up a hand to stop me. His face is close to mine, making the details of his hair and eyes come to attention. The pleasant smell of his soap envelops me when he responds, "It's fine. I was just checking because..."

He puts his hand back down and looks around before lowering his voice. There's a gravity to his tone when he whispers, "This one is a little more intimate than dirty jokes and an awkward hug, Leah. I have training, you don't--"

"Hold on," Still hung up on his hesitation, and the use of "fine" in his response, I pursed my lips. He sighed impatiently as my eyebrows pulled down. I shook my head, "Fine rarely means fine. So, be clear. If you don't like it, then I don't like it. Don't lie out of obligation."

"I wouldn't lie to you." He replies with the utmost gravity, and his eyes lock on mine.

I realize he means it, and when he sees my face change, Robin nods once, slowly, "Do you understand what I was saying?"

I understood, and after asking permission, Robin continued to move toward me. Cautiously, I leaned back, walking my hands backward as his progressed forward. My eyes widened when his face came only inches from mine. It was only briefly, but it had enough power to stop my breath in my chest. Robin scans my eyes, as if waiting for a signal, but I couldn't think beyond his hands walking up my sides on the mat. The front of his thighs met my shins where my legs were propped up between us, and Robin looked down at them. Then his eyes dragged back up to me, asking again. It was enough to send warmth rushing to my face.

It doesn't mean anything. I remind myself as I move for him to get closer. It's not a big deal.

I'm resting on my elbows by the time he's nearly hovering over me, and Robin's eyes flick over to the couple next to us. I attempt to steady my breath. Closing my eyes, I swallow hard and focus on relaxing my mind the best I can. However, it wasn't my mind that was the problem, it was the rapidly forming tension climbing into every muscle in my body that had me concerned. My shoulders and back felt like they were locking up and my hips kept pinching, threatening to cramp. On top of that, my skin felt like it was on fire, and there was a metallic taste in my mouth from my heart beating so fast. There was every chance that when Robin looked back at me, I will have died from cardiac arrest.

At least I won't have to explain my death to Desi and Henry. Robin will have to go to the office and explain how I died. Desi will nod sympathetically. Henry will cry for me. I'll be blissfully absent.

However, Robin's gaze eventually returns, and, to my surprise, I remain fully alive. An experience that manages temporarily leave my body when Robin peers down at my left hand. Before I can process it, he slides his fingers through the gaps in mine and gently pushes so my hand lifts and our palms come together. The action steals my balance and makes me drop all the way on my back. He repeats this on the other side until both are laced together.

One at a time, Robin lifts and pushes them away until the backs of my hands are pressed to the mat at the sides of my head. The stone bracelet on his wrist is in my peripheral vision, drawing my eyes to the way his hand swathes mine. I pull my gaze up, noting the way his wrist tapers into the muscles of his forearm, how his tee shirt sleeve stretches around his bicep, and the way his shoulder rounds before leading to the gap between the collar of his shirt and his chest. My lungs flail for air.

Professional. Be a professional.

I force myself to ignore the tension in my body and exist in my head.

If I die, I'll leave Desi my lucky pen.

He tightens his fingers and adjusts his position so that he hovers completely over me. It feels close. Remarkably close.

I'll give Henry all my first editions.

The sides of his legs brush my inner thighs.

I'll give my parents all my money.

He scans me from waist up again, hazel eyes taking their time to reach mine again.

I'll... I'll...

Robin swallows something down, and his lips part. I can't help but watch it, entranced by every second. He lets his gaze dip, ever so slightly to look at my lips.

Oh, hell if I know.

I take a sharp breath and it feels as if every inch of my body is flooded with weightlessness. Do not pass out. Do. Not. Pass. Out. 

He sees it, whatever comes across my face, and Robin's pupils dilate. My mouth goes dry, and I try to swallow. What kind of training do they give actors these days? What purpose does staring into the depths of my soul serve in a horror movie? Who taught him that?

"Leah," Robin says, almost quiet enough to be considered a whisper, but not quite. There's an edge in it that has me counting my breath in my head. "You, okay? You seem a little... tense."

One, two, three...

"Really?" I try to speak it calmly, but it comes out hoarse. "I'm great. Fine. Y-You good?"

Four, five, six...

"I'm good, Thanks." And a slow smile pulls at his lips as he looks down between us again, "But, uh, if you don't mind..."

Seven, eight, nine...

I look down and find I am all but crushing his hips between my knees.

"Oh!" I exclaim, dropping my knees away completely, "I'm sorry, I didn't even realize--Sorry. I'm sorry."

Robin laughs under his breath and gives a tiny shake of his head while he closes his eyes.

"I guess I am a little tense." I breathe, glad that we're at least talking instead of the incessant silence and all the burning eye contact.

Everything rushes back into perspective: the class, the noise, Jack, the sound of couples talking and laughing around us. It doesn't take long to realize I'm the only one just lying there completely silent. 

And completely unhinged! What were you thinking? It comes like a slap in the face. Get a grip!

"Maybe just a little," He smiles at me, and it warms the center of my chest and restarts my heart into normalcy. "Jack's talking to the couple next to us, he'll be here soon."

I nod, blinking as if I've just woken up from a dream, "Got it. I'm here. I'm ready."

As I say this Jack appears next to us and pats Robin on the back. His friendly brown eyes twinkle as he examines our faces, "You two have done so well. I know you were nervous, Liza, but really, I am immensely proud of the effort you made today. And Robert, well, you almost stole my heart when I saw you smile just now."

Jack laughs at himself and Robin chuckles a little bit in response.

I expect it to be awkward, lying here and talking to Jack while in this position, but it isn't. In fact, it's a relief. Jack is quick to keep the good feelings going, "Your charm is almost supernatural."

"Not the first time I've been suspect of the supernatural." Robin laughs, winking at Jack, who grins at him like he's the son he always dreamed of. I can't help but grin, chuckling at the inside joke.

Then Jack is looking at me, and a soft affection crosses his expression. "You two are going to be just fine." His eyes dart to Robin again, "Don't go messing it up, now."

He should be saying that to me. I think, cringing a little bit.

And as if Jack can hear my thoughts, he winks at me, "And don't do anything I wouldn't do, Liza dear." He tips his head toward Robin, "Hunka hunka!"

Then Jack stands up and pat's Robin's shoulder good-naturedly as he walks away making us laugh when he says, "You two are my favorite! There, I said it."

Class ended after Jack visited each couple. We closed out by doing breathing exercises, which was much appreciated after having nearly asphyxiated myself. To say I needed to evaluate projects more scrupulously before doing them with Robin was an understatement.

The sound of the doors unlocking rang through the room, Robin and I were up and out of there like lightning. Grabbing our things from the lockers and dashing out the doors, we grinned at each other like bandits.

When our feet hit the sidewalk, we stumbled to a stop The air was fresh and crisp, and full of new promise. I had survived forced proximity and Robin hadn't cursed me to my grave. It was a good day.

"Do you need a lift?" Robin asks, gesturing down the sidewalk to where he parked his car. 

He pushes his ballcap over his head and tucks himself into his coat while he waits for my response. When I accept, we walk toward the car together in peaceful companionship. Things hadn't gone to plan, but somehow, I felt more settled in my feelings about Robin being a good person than before. Despite Maizy's words still ringing in my head, I couldn't help but also hear Jack and think that he was right too. The universe put us exactly where we needed to be, and it had taught me a lot about my feelings. Which ones to trust... and which ones to stay far away from. 

"I have a question to ask you," I stopped at the car door as he held it open for me. Robin's brows furrowed and I finished with, "But It's about something personal. Do you want to talk about it sometime over coffee?"

When he grins, I laugh, and Robin winks at me, "Coffee sounds great." 

-----

Hehe, cute :> 

Byee~~ have a good day!

e.g.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.9K 347 10
"You're a nice guy, I wonder why you don't have a girlfriend, fufufu~?" "You're in your twenties and you haven't been with a girl yet!?" These are qu...
1.1M 45.7K 74
Rated No.1 #matureaudience #separation #maturelanguage #contractmarriage #loveforever #funnyromance#chicklit || š‘Æš’† š’‡š’†š’š’ š’‡š’Šš’“š’”š’• š’ƒš’–š’• š’”š’‰ļæ½...
1.4M 45.3K 50
āš  Warning sexual content!!! āš  *Book 1 of the "Unexpected Lovestory" Series* She loved her husband more than her last breath. She was blinded, deafene...
131K 3.4K 21
[UNDER RECONSTRUCTION] Highest Ranking #1 Teenstories "Get your hands off me!" He smirked and leaned closer to my face. "Why should I?" "Because I sa...