TRAPPED

By islaholland

Celine Monet has lived alone with her mother ever since she was five, when her parents got a divorce and only... More

characters
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55

44

5.3K 280 116
By islaholland

Celine

I wake up from a nap at half seven and sit up. I grab my phone and decide to message Léo.

ME: Hi.

I wait for him to respond, but he doesn't. Maybe his phone is dead.

     I climb out of bed and stand on shaky legs, using my IV drip as support. I wheel it behind me as I slowly make my way out of my bedroom and down the hall, to Léo's bedroom.

     I knock on the door as tiredness begins to consume me.

     "Yeah?" Léo shouts.

     I walk in and smile. He's at his desk, scribbling in a notebook. He turns around and looks at me. I expect him to smile, or to come help me, but he doesn't. He even looks a little uncomfortable.

     "Hi."

     "Hey." He responds.

     "Do you wanna watch our show?" I ask hopefully.

     "No, thanks. I've got homework."

     I frown, "oh, okay. Later, then?"

     "Maybe. There's a lot I have to do."

     "Alright." I whisper, beginning to wring my hands. "Bye." My voice cracks a little as my eyes water, but he doesn't notice either of those little details. I begin to walk back out of his room, growing even more exhausted by the moments. I stumble, but manage to right myself, only to then trip and fall onto the floor.

     A door opens and loud footsteps rush over to me. I look up hazily at Camilo, who has concern written all over his face. "Dad!" He shouts, so loudly it could blow the house down.

     Tears begin to fall down my face. He crouches down beside me and pulls my head onto his lap, wiping my tears for me as they keep coming. Distantly, I hear my dad's voice, but it's muffled.

     "CeCe, baby." He says, lifting me into a sitting position. My head falls onto his chest, and he wraps an arm around me. "What happened, sweetheart?"

I exhale a heavy breath. "I'm tired."

"You should've stayed in bed, Celine." Camilo says.

"I wanted to watch our show.." I whisper.

"With Léo?" Camilo asks.

I nod.

"He didn't help you back to your room?" Camilo asks.

"It's okay.." I whisper.

     "Let's get you back into your bed." My dad says, standing, lifting me up with him. I groan, and he leans down to kiss my cheek. "It's okay, baby. You're okay."

"Daddy.." I whisper.

"Hm?"

"I'm.. I'm gonna go to the Olympics."

"I know." He replies.

     "I'm.. I'm gonna win. I'm gonna get gold."

     "Shouldn't her nurse have been here?" Camilo asks.

     "She went out to get Celine some stuff." My dad says.

     "Daddy." I whisper. He turns his attention back to me. "Do.. do you think—think I will?"

     "Yeah." He responds, running his hands through my hair.

"Don't leave me, dad."

"I'm not going anywhere, baby." He sits me down on my bed, and I cling onto him. He wraps his arms around me, setting one of his hands on the back of my head.

     I close my eyes, exhaling a shaky breath.

     "Go to sleep." He says gently.

     I shake my head, even as I gradually become more tired. He runs his hands through my hair, and I yawn.

     "Dad.."

     "Hm?"

     "Are we still going to France?" I ask quietly.

     He's silent for a few moments before he says, "I think we should skip it this year."

     "Why?" I ask quietly.

     "All of your doctors are here." He reminds me.

     "I want to go."

     "We can go next year." He says.

     "What if I'm not here next year?" I ask.

     He goes quiet again. "Okay, we'll see about it."

     I look up at him. "Thanks."

     "I'm not saying we're definitely going."

     I smile and go to sleep.

My dad keeps his promise: he stays with me all night. When I wake up, he's sitting up on his phone, with one arm wrapped around me.

I yawn, and he glances down. He smiles. "Good morning, baby. How are you feeling?"

"Fine." I whisper.

I roll away from him and wrap my arms around myself, rolling all the way to the other end of my bed and grabbing my water bottle. I take long sips in order to calm my aching throat.

The door opens and Valencia walks inside. She has a tray of breakfast in her hand, and she sets it beside me.

I frown as I look at it. It's a bowl of oats and two pieces of toast with a small cup of tea.

     She leaves, and I get the feeling of being in the hospital again. I shake my head to myself, because I'm not. I'm home now.

     I leave the oats but eat the toast and drink the tea.

"Try eat this, sweetheart." He nods to the oats.

"It looks like sick." I gag.

He gives me a disapproving look. I smile.

     "You seem to be feeling better." He tells me.

I shrug and lean back. He sets the tray of food on my bedside table and holds an arm out for me. "Come here."

     "Why?"

     "I wanna give you a hug." He says, as though it's obvious.

     "You don't have to be weird about it." I mumble.

     He laughs. "What?"

     I sigh and shuffle over to him slowly. He wraps an arm around my shoulders and pulls me to his side, kissing my cheek.

     "We're going to France." He tells me.

     My eyes widen. "Really?"

     He smiles and nods. I throw my arms around him, and he sets his hand on my back.

     "We're going earlier though, so you'll be able to settle in. You'll do your chemo there, too."

I frown. "Why do I have to do it there?"

"You can't just stop, sweetheart." He says. He changes the subject quickly. "You can meet your aunties and uncles, and your cousins. My brother Louis has a daughter a bit older than you. Her name is Amelie."

     "I didn't know you had a brother." I suddenly feel guilty, because I never asked him.

     "I have two. The other one is called Charles."

     "Charles. Gross."

     He grins. "You make sure you say that to him, okay?"

     I smile again.

My dad tells me we're going on Tuesday. It's Friday, so that means we've got four days.

     I tell him I'll start packing, but he says to wait because we have lots of time.

"Get some more rest, baby." He says, leaning down to kiss my forehead. "I'll be back in a little bit, okay? If you need anything shout for Valencia or one of your brothers."

"Where are you going?" I ask, frowning.

"Nowhere. I won't be long."

He leaves, and I lean back on the bed, clenching my eyes shut. Eventually I fall asleep, and when I wake up I'm still alone.

     I yawn, then grab my phone. I find a message from my dad there.

     Dad: I'll be a bit longer, but Mateo came to look after you all while Julien is out. Valencia went with him.

     ME: Why?

     Dad: I don't want you guys to be home alone.

     ME: [rolling eyes emoji x3]

     ME: K.

ME: Wait why did Valenya go?

Dad: They're getting food and stuff. She needs to see what's best for you to have I guess.

ME: She culd just send him a list?

Dad: I guess. They'll be back soon later anyway. I'll see you soon.

ME: Cya.

I message Julien.

ME: U best not get with my ners.

Julien🤢: What's a ners?

ME: U no what I mean ideot. My nurs.

Julien🤢: Your nurse?

ME: Thas what I said.

Julien🤢: We're going shopping for stuff. That's all.

ME: Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Julien🤢: Go back to sleep you little weirdo.

ME: Can't be mean cos got I've cancer.

ME: Meant I've got.

Julien🤢: Alright.

ME: DONT GET WITH MY NERSE!!!

Julien🤢: Oh my God I won't.

ME: She too prety for u anywayz. Ugly!!!

Julien🤢: [middle finger emoji x2]

ME: Ooooo gona tell dad ur swering at me.

Julien🤢: [rolling eyes emoji x7]

ME: 😛😛😛

I message Mateo next.

ME: Hay. [horse emoji]

ME: Lol get it.

MATEO: Very funny.

ME: Thx I try my best.

ME: Can I have water plaese.

MATEO: Sure, I'll bring it up now.

ME: Thx.

I go through my apps until he finally comes up, a cold bottle of water in his hand, along with my cold cap. He smiles at me. "Hey. How're you feeling?"

"Good." I say. "You know we're going to France?"

His smile widens. "I do. Are you excited?"

I nod. "I've never been anywhere before."

     "Well, I'm sure if you asked dad nicely he'd take you anywhere you wanna go." He puts the cold cap on my head, but not covering my eyes. Then he turns the TV on. "What do you wanna watch?"

     "You walking out of my room."

     He smirks. "I wanna spend time with my little baby sister."

     "I hate when everyone says that."

     "What?"

     "Baby. Do I look like a baby? I can walk and talk fine."

     "Babies can walk and talk."

     "Whatever. You know what I mean. I think Dad has forgotten my actual name so he just calls me that. Someone should probably remind him I'm called Celine."

     He smiles. "It's because you're the youngest. And none of us ever got the chance to treat you like a baby when you were one." He tells me. "Get used to it, kid. Pick a movie, too."

     I sigh heavily but pick one out.

Camilo joins us halfway through. I've decided to ignore what he said regarding my mum once she died, because I don't want to be on bad terms with anyone when I die.

     "This is so shit." Camilo says for the fourth time in twenty minutes.

     "You're shit."

     "Language." Mateo scolds.

     "What are you, my dad?" I ask. "And he said it first."

     "Both of you shut up then." He responds.

     "You're in my room, you worm."

     He laughs. "Worm?"

     "You're also smelly. I'm gonna light a candle when you leave."

     "You do that, baby."

     I hit him with my pillow, and he feigns pain. I roll my eyes. "Shut up. I didn't hurt you." I smile. "I can if you want me to, though."

     He laughs again. "I'm good. Sit back down."

     I do. We watch the rest of the movie in a comfortable silence.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 43.4K 52
Liliana has always had a bad life. Ever since she was five, her mother would date the wrong people who would corrupt her, and she was the one who alw...
1.3M 30.5K 83
Briella,17, never had a stable family set up. She was left alone by the age of 7, to fend for herself. Her father hated her, abused her for her whole...
3.1M 84K 57
Astrid has never stepped out her house. She didn't know that her parents hitting her wasn't right. She always thought that's how it works. So what ha...
28.9K 502 44
not you're average mafia brothers and sister story.. This is the story of Natasha Clark, an assassin, mafia boss, and most of all the long lost siste...