Forever Yours Truly | Blade x...

By CheChiMulay

After non-stop recruiting new bodyguards every now and then, your father eventually got fed up and decided to... More

A Foreign Encounter
A Smile On Those Soft Lips
Royalty
An Invitation
An Old Friend
A Quick Glance
Change of Plans
Interrogation
A Crack Slithering Within
Portrait on the Wall
Standing Next to You
Unknown Future
Dismissal
Authors Notes

Unexpected Circumstances

176 8 1
By CheChiMulay

The two of you remained seated inside the carriage, as the ride had been nothing more than a calmer trip than expected. However, you could bot help but observe Blade's current attire in a more thorough manner. Indeed it was never like what you were used to. The outfit he donned was exceedingly more exquisite than his normal uniform. From the large coat that flowed past his knees, to the meticulous brooch that glimmered with prestige, there seemed to be no doubt that such a symbol proves Blade had earned the worthy status of a knight from the Xianzhuo Luofu.

His long silky hair was no longer kept with the ribbon, allowing it to droop down his face, displaying his demeanour to be more of an irascible man. A smile had never met his lips. Though, there was part of you, deep down, who wished to see those lips form a curve. Even if it was only a miniscule amount.

As you and Blade continued your long trip, not a single word escaped your lips; as there was no need to after all. Though a few hours had passed, the sign of approaching the destination drew nearer with the sight of trees gradually becoming replaced with buildings and vast technology that revealed signs of having magic implementation into it. For instance, your eyes had caught sight of the carriages created in that region from afar. In comparison to what you own, the one on the Xianzhuo Luofu did not require horses. Instead, the carriages were powered through energy, wielding power from the sky with the help of ability users. From a distance, your eyes remained focused on the bright beam of light illuminating the night sky, indicating you were nearing the heart of the city.

"We are getting close," you spoke out, gazing out the window of the carriage.

"I do not see the reason why your father has not implemented the usage of power at the carriage. Time would be spared, rather than remaining seated here for an hour." Blade replied nonchalantly. "It is cost-efficient as well, mistress."

"Well- Papa is just like that, but do not concern yourself in that matter. After all, the process itself is tedious due to the fact that we would have to purchase and build a completely new one."

"Many had acquired devices that leveraged the usage of power alongside it. Though it is still fairly new, its usage improves the quality of life amongst the citizens."

"That is true. However, wasn't its purpose mainly for battle?"

"It depends on the user's ability to wield an ability at such. For instance, many have gained the ability to heal others as many are inherited by blood. Others, however, may develop in having the ability to manipulate quantum or the imaginary ability."

"In that case," you paused for a second. "What about your blood manipulation ability?"

Blade had taken a moment to gather his thoughts before his lips parted to provide you with a reply. The carriage had continued to move, as the horses' hooves stepped foot onto the dirt. Then, your bodyguard began to speak once more shortly after.

"That is a skill that requires an immense amount of concentration. It is not highly recommended for others to use, as it can potentially drive them into madness if not used correctly. Mine, however, requires a sharp object to pierce through my skin in order for the blood to be of use."

"Then how were you able to wield one without going mad?" You asked Blade once more.

"I only use a limited amount of blood to do so. Those who end up in madness often use it as an extended part of their daily lives. Hence, it is why blood manipulation was considered to be forbidden, unless it was taught by a master who perfected it."

For such an ability like that, you wondered how one would even obtain such a skill, let alone master it. You begin to imagine the pain as each time, your skin has to be sliced open, perhaps even more susceptible to having an infection if not treated properly after. You did not know Blade's other capabilities in that regard. It was only through gossip and documents that had recorded his strength.

"In that case, mistress." Blade spoke out once more, as his dull eyes observed you. "Wouldn't you possess an ability inherited from your father?"

"No, unfortunately."

"No?" Blade asked.

"I was provided mentors from the past, but it had always been a struggle in my circumstances. It would certainly not be my proudest moment in knowing that I cannot wield any basic skills in that regard."

You did not reply in that moment, only looking out the window to see the view before the carriage had stopped moving. The horses let out a resounding neigh, signalling to the both of you to depart from the carriage. After thinking for a moment, you realised Blade's suggestion of implementing something new to the estate grounds did not seem like a bad idea. However, you will need to discuss it thoroughly with your father if it ever comes to mind.

Blade had stepped out first, opening the carriage door out of duty before stepping aside for you. As expected, his hand had deliberately extended out to offer it towards you.

Of course, you thanked him out of courtesy before stepping out of the carriage. Though, not a single word had been said after, and your attention could only remain on the sight of the city you were now in.

The bustling streets of Xianzhuo Luofo were as delightful as the ones from your memory. People from all over were gathering around every corner and shop, looking for every opportunity to purchase some goods due to their excellent offers. Merchants had travelled for days just to attend the celebration; it was a truly spectacular night. The sounds of joyous laughter and chatter had charmed the streets amongst the residents and visitors. It was splendid, indeed, a change of scenery was certainly a need for you at the current moment.

Lights had filled up the streets at every corner, leaving not a single area untouched with its warmth. The street itself has been well-decorated with their finest materials in honour of Jing Yuan's celebration. In fact, the face of the General himself has been splattered across almost every building.

Your eyes had begun to observe your surroundings, taking note of every single detail and chatter amongst the residents. People had gathered at every corner as some casted a miniscule illusion of the General himself as part of the entertainment. Despite the fact that it was only the usage of basic magic, it was primarily used as entertainment for the current time.

Approaching an unknown booth to allow time to pass by, Blade proceeded to follow you with his guard still remaining. In comparison to the calm lonely hallways of the estate ground, the intense excitement within the Xianzhuo Luofu region seizes any possibility of an unexpecting threat.

The random booth you had approached displayed a few merchandise of the General himself. Each one had perfectly taken every detail of his features, from miniature statues to a few banners with his face printed on it. However, from the corner of your eye, modt of the crowd had gathered towards a specific area of the shop, seemingly competing for a specific item in mind.

"Mistress," Blade spoke out. "You cannot possibly think of purchasing a miniscule statue of the General."

His words were presented in a tone that seemed to underlie his irritation, or rather baffled by the fact you were willing to participate in what the common folk engage in. After all, you only came in to observe and not purchase anything unless it was necessary to do so. Though, it is understandable that the thought of obtaining merchandise from your bodyguard's close companion would certainly be deemed as outlandish in Blade's perspective.

"I was only curious as to why this specific booth is popular in comparison to the rest. If you assumed I was going to purchase impulsively, then you would be incorrect."

"Certainly the nobles would think of it as ludicrous if you bring it inside the castle, mistress."

You did not respond shortly after, rolling your eyes as you began to observe what had been displayed in front of you. At the current moment, nothing else had piqued your interest until your gaze had gone to the corner of your eye. There had seemed to be a decrease in consumers as you deliberately made your way towards it.

To your surprise, the items that were displayed in front of you were none other than the photographs of the General himself! The quality of the person put into a single photograph was superior in comparison to the photos of him in documented books. However, you could not help but look at the price that was displayed next to it. You thought to yourself, a photograph should not cost such an amount, regardless of who it is.

"Has the mistress taken a liking in purchasing a photograph of the General?" a familiar voice spoke out. Without question, your mind immediately recognises who it is. The voice is exactly identical to the one that cooed towards you with calculated intent.

"No, I was just observing," you replied shortly after.

Miss Tingyun presented herself to you with nothing more than contentment. Her head tilted in piqued interest as her hand held the fan to point the tip of it, lifting your chin up.

"Oh? But these photographs of the General come with a special offer," she said in a gleeful manner, deliberately pulling away her fan before displaying the items in her other hand like a deck of cards. "Certainly it would not hurt a soul in at least one photo."

Your eyes went down, scanning out the different photos of the General. Most of them were similar in form, as it displayed the General to be somewhat inattentive to his surroundings. Such a casual image of his likeness certainly contrasts the mighyy and valiant perception most people have of him.. For a man that had been through countless wars leading up the military to aid his brother, the captured moment of him in peace was certainly a contrast to one's ideal.

"I appreciate the offer but there is no need." You politely declined, shaking your head in response. "However, what brings you to sell these merchandise rather than working in the castle at the moment?"

"No reason," her lips curved upward. "There is nothing wrong in making profit after all."

"I see..."

There was nothing more that needed to be said shortly after, yet Miss Tingyun leaned forward from the table before your lips could open.

"Oh I almost forgot," she sneered in a subtle manner. "I would like to thank you for your cooperation from our meeting."

You could only present yourself with a confounded expression. A meeting that seemingly felt so long ago, yet you had not been given a chance to question her intent.

"Nonetheless, as for my repayment, I have nothing else to ask from you." Miss Tingyun smiled in a playful manner, taking your hand before placing an item in your palm. You could not see what it was specifically, but had an intuitive sense of what it was. Perhaps another personal letter?

Yet before you could even look down, Tingyun had immediately spun you back around towards Blade. Her hands urgently shoved you in a benevolent manner, indicating that it is time for you to enjoy the rest of the night before heading to the castle.

Confused as expected, you only approached Blade before taking a glimpse back at Miss Tingyun. From there, she had only proceeded in making profits in her sales, acquiring money from Jing Yuan's admirers.

"Would the mistress desire to spend some time at other shops?" Blade asked indifferently.

He had only stood there, waiting for your decision. The streets of Xianzhuo Luofu had been surrounded by such load and joyful chatter that anyone would request for Blade to repeat his silent question. He is your bodyguard and a companion, nothing more, nothing less.

"Yes," you spoke out. "I would like to."

"Then as you wish, mistress."

Blade did not remove himself from his spot until you decided to move along. As expected in a more occupied surrounding, residents were hurriedly walking past you at every second and step of the way. And yet, despite the rambunctious atmosphere, you could still feel Blade following from behind, despite his silent footsteps.

As the two of you proceeded to walk, you could not help but feel intrigued to open up the letter from Tingyun's payment. Out of curiosity, your eyes went toward your hand that held up the piece of envelope. There was nothing extraordinary about it other than the wax seal that had the lion symbol in the centre. It was no doubt in your mind that it had to be another personal request for a meeting, in which ended up piquing up your interest more.

Your hands opened up the letter as the anticipation increased with each second. And yet, the moment you had taken it out, nothing more was said other than a displayed expression of bewilderment.

The item in your hand was nothing more than a photo of Jing Yuan himself.

—----------------------------

As every second of the evening had passed by, Blade had remained silent, limiting his conversations to one second at most. The people had continued to walk into what the celebratory opportunity had been offered. Additionally, countless shops have gradually contained a decrease in their stocks due to the fluctuating amount of buyers. For instance, one store had been sold out of all of their ornaments due to everyone buying them or the restaurant across being lined up with customers, occupying any available space left.

However, as the residents and visitors of Xianzhuo Luofu had continued to walk past you, you could not help but pay attention to a certain few who had seemingly avoided Blade on purpose. Your bodyguard had remained indifferent about it due to his infamous reputation, yet it had served a reminder to you that the way he displayed himself certainly caused people to be reluctant being in his presence.

For instance, you had caught a glimpse from the corner of your eye, a father and his daughter to be exact. He was urging her to remain by his side in a subtle manner after noticing Blade. Of course, your bodyguard had noticed it too, but remained indifferent about it.

With such a dull expression on his face, it provided you a sense of being analytical, intrigued to be specific, in regards to knowing what was on his mind.

While approaching a travelling merchant, your eyes wandered into the items that had been displayed in front of you. The selection contained a few items crafted by skilled artisans in which every miniscule detail could be seen by the eye. They ranged in a variety of colours that could almost satisfy anyone's taste when it came to purchasing any antiques or souvenirs.

Looking through the options displayed, you began to stand there silently; as Blade continued to hold his guard up.

"Has any of these intricate vases caught your eye?" asked the merchant, suddenly grabbing your attention.

"Not yet, just browsing at the moment," you replied shortly after. "These are quite valuable, beautiful in fact."

The merchant let out a chuckle.

"Certainly it is, no doubt. Some of these have been imported from other regions such as Belobog." He had displayed himself with a smile, before deliberately picking up a small vase, big enough to fit in the palm of his hands. "This one however, I would recommend for it to be a nice souvenir for you to take home."

You had looked at it for a moment, analysing every speck of detail to see if it would be satisfactory to your liking. Though it had, you were uncertain if it was what you wanted to purchase.

And yet, before your mind began to process this more thoroughly, a sudden noise had caught your attention.

"No!" the man suddenly cried, his knees dropped into the ground with his hands turned into a fist. "Not another dead child!"

Your gaze had immediately turned to him, wondering about the current state that he is in. It had seemed to be that the pitiful young man was in an agonised position in the current moment. His fisted hands had slammed into the table as the screen he was playing on displayed itself to be a well-known game amongst the residents.

"Ignore that man," Blade suddenly whispered behind your ear, as his hand had deliberately been placed on your shoulder; urging you to proceed to your previous activities in a subtle manner. The merchant was currently occupied in having a discussion with another client, pulling his attention away from you. "We have a limited amount of leisure time to spare before heading to the palace, mistress."

You took a quick glimpse at the man, who seemed to be furiously tapping the screen as if he was gambling his life away for a fictional character. Blade then gently nudged you back to the travelling merchant's stall, as the man's whines gradually disappeared into the surrounding noise in the crowd. With your attention returning back into the goods displayed, you continued to browse the potential purchases.

Your gaze returned to the vases with the tip of your finger meticulously caressing the edge of the vase's structure. You could not help but lean forward in order to inspect the design more carefully until your foot took a step back.

Crash!

Before the realisation had set in place, someone had abruptly knocked over a vase as it shattered the moment it hit the surface. Every fragment and shard had been scattered across the floor, as the travelling merchant's expression altered into a look of dismay.

"Hey!" the merchant instinctively hollers in your direction. "You had just destroyed one of the expensive goods!"

Your heart began to beat rapidly from the man's voice. It was not on purpose that you had broken something, not to mention, a valuable item. This was certainly not in the position that is going in your favour, as you had reached out for your pocket to pay.

"I deeply apologise- but it was not me I swear-" You pleaded towards the merchant. "It was someone else who-"

"Do you have any idea how much this cost?" the merchant shrieked.

"No...sir." A sudden heaviness dragged your lungs down.

"100,000 credits!"

"100,000?" You gasped. It was certain that such an ornament would not be so costly to that extent, perhaps only half of it for something so small. "How absurd to place such a price like that."

Certainly your nobility would permit you to put in that amount of money. You could not help but picture your father's perplexed expression towards your foolish actions. You had immediately turned your head towards the culprit only for them to be out of your presence, spinning the suspect onto you.

Your mind began to race, processing all the alternative ways to pay back or perhaps apprehend the culprit in order to avoid suffering the consequences in their stead. The situation was certainly not in your favour as you turned to look at Blade. Yet, his expression seemed to be unsympathetic to your circumstances.

"Sir, it was not the mistress who had done this." Blade finally spoke out, taking a step closer to you.

"Then who else would it be?" the merchant asked, spitefully.

And yet before you could get the opportunity to defend yourself, a stranger's hand had reached out, offering the man some money.

"My deepest apologies, I was rushing by after a client and it had seemed to be affecting you right now. I sincerely would like to offer some payments in exchange due to their mistake. I am in no doubt that tonight shall remain splendid for everyone else. On a separate topic, how was the travel in order to reach such a destination this far?"

The merchant was perplexed by the current circumstances but he had immediately composed himself shortly after.

"It went smoothly, I must say," the merchant replied. "Nothing much had happened other than a few...obstacles along the way.".

"If I may ask, what were they exactly?" there was now a hint of intrigue in his tone.

"There were," the merchant paused as he began to recollect his memories from his travels. "I cannot fully describe it but...there were some beings that had grown flowers out of their bodies and into the weapons too."

"And where exactly have you discovered these sightings?"

"Just before I reached the palace grounds: though there were a few soldiers located in that area, so it had not worried much so than what I had expected. If there were not any in that area, I assume I would not be here by now as I would have been attacked by those."

"I see," the stranger paused, analysing every detail of the merchant's statement. "That is all I need to know. Thank you in kind regards."

The hand had dropped a few bags of coins, which was no doubt a handful amount of money, despite covering only a speck of the cost.

"Well then, if you will eventually be willing to pay the full price, then I accept." the merchant complied, taking the bag of money. "However, this alone will not be enough."

"Do not concern yourself with such matters, as I will return in time to discuss this with you," said the unknown stranger. He then reached towards his pocket, revealing a necklace, indicating his line of work. He was no doubt in your mind, a trader of some sort. The merchant's expression had immediately altered to a more pleasant look shortly after.

"Well then," said the merchant as he looked towards you once more. "You are free to go."

It seemed like some sort of miracle that a person's act of kindness has been granted to your unfortunate upbringings. For a moment, you were about to result in paying a hefty price for an item that you did not break, and yet someone was willing to pay for it. Out of courtesy, you turned your head towards the stranger.

And yet, before your mouth had even begun to speak out of gratitude, he was not there to be found.

How strange...

You did not know this man, and yet his kindness was no doubt an act that you felt indebted to. There was nothing to describe about that person other than his tall figure. However, if there was one trait that you could differentiate, then there was one thing that came to your mind. His long silky blonde hair that shimmered like gold, the memorable colour your eyes had been drawn into.

"Mistress..." Blade finally spoke out. "I suggest that we should reach the palace before the full moon arises."

—---------------------

There was nothing more to say after that predicament. As you began to walk elsewhere, you wondered what to do next for the meantime, while Blade followed from behind. His presence had been nothing more than resembling some sort of pet, to be exact. Of course, it was to ensure your safety, just like your previous bodyguards.

"How long has it been since you have returned here at the palace?" You suddenly asked out of curiosity, as your gaze went towards Blade.

Blade's eyes had slowly turned towards you, paying attention to your current place rather than your surroundings as the people walked by. The sound of the bustling streets had simmered down as the night gradually greeted the main city of Xianzhuo Luofu. With various footsteps walking and running left and right, the sparkling bright night of the streets had never been so much of a breathtaking memory.

"Not much for a while, mistress..." Blade replied as his hand remained to the side of his uniform with the scabbard. "That goes the same for you as well, mistress. It had been a while since you have stepped foot into the city."

"How did you know that?"

"Your father had informed me beforehand. He entrusted you to me for this trip as I am aware of how things worked in this city."

His gaze had then removed from you, staring towards the palace that has been awaiting your presence from afar.

"I suggest that we should go now, mistress. Be sure to have the invitation at hand to guarantee our entrance inside."

You nodded from his reminder, taking the envelope from your pocket to ensure that it is still safely kept. With this mind, you continued to walk towards your destination, allowing yourself to enjoy the moment.

All of a sudden, a shrieking cry for help had caught your attention, as well as others from a distance. It had seemed to be a young woman that had been squeezing her trembling arm with her free hand. Her face had displayed such an agonising wince in pain as the tears continued to roll down her cheeks. Along her trembling arm, blood had dripped down to the floor as there was one detail you could not ignore. There were branches that had been stretched out of her skin, and some flowers started to bloom within it.

"Help- I can't- i-it hurts!" she cried. "I can't control it-"

It was nothing like you had ever seen before. The cries and pleading had continued as others only had the same reaction as you. With its creaking sound, the stem had continued to stretch out, along with her screams as her attempts in stopping the growth had been futile.

"What is-'' You muttered out. Someone needs to help her, but who? Certainly you cannot. Even if you wanted to, you had never experienced this type of situation throughout your life.

"Mara struck." Blade replied, remaining indifferent towards the scene in front of him. His emotionless expression had been a reminder to you now of his past, the sight of the war had been much worse in comparison to this one woman. And yet, you could not help but be taken aback by his lack of reaction. "It happens to everyone in different ways, hers just happened to be more unfortunate."

"Help me!" the woman continued to cry, her sobs echoing throughout everyone's ears as the bystanders began to look iin concern. Not a single one had managed to step up and aid her due to their lack of knowledge in how to help.

As if a miracle had occurred once more, someone had finally approached the woman: however, it was not who you expected to be. The person who stood before the woman was none other than a child, who resembled a dragon as well. Her horns and tail were a much more prominent feature of hers. She had continued to approach the woman, meticulously inspecting the infected area before taking a deep breath to unleash her power.

Her hands extended out as a soft light glowed from her palms, and the branch had slowly decreased in its size. The flowers had unbloomed, and the cries did not stop as the branch sank back into the skin.

"I want you to take as many deep breaths as you can, miss," said the little dragon girl.

The woman listened, though it did not stop her trembling whimpers. Her branched arm had gradually been transformed back into its original state, with the exception of the open wound alongside the blood that covered her whole arm. The mara-struck victim was finally being aided, though, the way she was struck with mara was only suppressed. You could not imagine how many more she must endure in the future.

"Do not worry, I will make sure you are well taken care of, miss." The little girl reassured her, shaking her jar before applying some ointment with her healing abilities. "Has this ever happened to you?"

The woman shook her head.

"N-no..."

"Well then, just allow some of the servants to take you back to the infirmary." The young dragon comfortingly expressed her, patting her arm calmly, making sure there was not a single left of mara-struck arising in her body.

The woman's sobs had finally disappeared, but her quivering lips had not due to the pain she just had experienced. Of course, she had thanked the little dragon tremendously despite her aching voice.

"Mistress, we should go now," Blade finally spoke out before you could react, deliberately taking your arm to guide you towards the palace.

You were bewildered by the scene, from the crying woman to Blade's indifferent expression towards her. How could someone wear such a face without any sympathy in her regard? However, as you observed closer, you realised there was something different about his dull expression, something that had finally shifted the stoic countenance your bodyguard had always presented. Your mind had began to churn with questions, yet answers eluded you. The knowledge you only had from your past was through books that had explained each documented mara-struck victim. However, witnessing one in front of you has left you frozen in your mind.

"Blade, about earlier-"

His grip on your arm had slightly tightened. Not too much, but it was enough to indicate the sudden change in his mind. You could not portray anything beyond a conflicted look in your expression, but it did not affect Blade in any manner. However, the way he appeared in this current moment was finally a display of demeanour you had never seen before.

Blade looked tense.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 67 26
He goes to the audition without much expectation because of his apperence which look like a girl that can cause so much trouble to even debut in a gr...
376 27 13
Born into a prestigious family, Elijah had to shoulder a lot of things- pride, family name, being the best of the best... These things were not what...
186 0 5
Follow Zuko on his journey to capture the Avatar; forging unlikely friendships and facing powerful enemies along the way. As you grow closer to the F...
35.1K 867 52
A high trained Assassin is betrayed by her former lover, also known as the Royal's Son. The story takes place in Elisora, known for it's dark secrets...