What secrets lie within

By JMRP001

The fate of three warriors becomes intertwined when a routine assignment thrusts them into the depths of a fo... More

PROLOGUE
Chapter I Twilight's Kin
Chapter II Guardian's Vigil
Chapter IV The Burden of Command
Chapter V The ones Above and the ones Below
Chapter VI The Briefing
Chapter VII Whispers of the Forest
Chapter VIII The Epic of Wild Fred
Chapter IX Echoes of Darkness
Chapter X Echoes of Eternity
Chapter XI A dance of Shadows and Deceit

Chapter III A Vow of Steel and Shadows

3 0 0
By JMRP001

Galaeth's boots struck the loam with rhythmic thuds, each step an echo of her racing heart. Her lungs heaved in protest as she darted through the dense underbrush, the forest closing behind her like a curtain of green oblivion. Sunlight pierced the canopy in stabbing shafts, casting a kaleidoscope of shadows that flickered across Galaeth's path. The dappled light played tricks on her vision, but she did not slow her pace. If anything, it spurred her on, the chiaroscuro landscape a mirror to her tumultuous thoughts. Leaves crunched underfoot as she hastened through the dim forest, her breaths coming in short bursts that fogged in the chill morning air. The clearing, where she'd honed her abilities in solitude, lay behind her, swallowed by the creeping shadows of towering pines.

A nervous energy hummed beneath her skin, an echo of the power she wielded during solitary practice—power she now reined in, though it yearned for release. She darted between trees, scales on her forearms catching the sparse sunlight, shimmering briefly before vanishing into the gloom once more. Her auburn hair, pulled back into a tight braid, swung heavily across her back with each hurried step.

She cast a glance over her shoulder, where Vizeren's presence had been a comforting shadow just moments before. Now there was only the whispering of leaves to accompany her solitude. She could still feel the residue of his void energy on her skin, his watchful gaze following her from a distance. With every stride, Galaeth pushed her lithe body faster, muscles taut with determination. The scales on her arms caught what little light filtered down, casting prismatic patterns onto the dark soil. The canopy above swallowed her figure, cloaking her in a mosaic of sunlight and shade as she moved with purposeful grace.

Galaeth's limbs protested with a symphony of aches, each step an echo of the relentless dance from the morning's combat training. Her flesh glistened, pearlescent scales mingling with sweat, catching errant beams of light that sliced through the brooding forest. She propelled herself faster, the sting of exertion a familiar burn that tethered her to reality. Her training had honed her body into an instrument of lethal poise, but it was not for sport or glory that she trained—it was for Sera, her adoptive sister.

She could not shake the vision of Elowen, her Sera, in the clutches of merciless bandits. The report had come to her with the cold certainty of death: a caravan ambushed, signs of struggle, and Elowen's unmistakable silver pendant left behind in the dirt—a silent scream in the chaos. All trails led to the slave traders, Arwin's minions, who thrived in shadows and dealt in human misery.

The debt she owed Sir Aldric weighed heavily on her heart. It was he who found her, a lost wraith amongst the leaves, and gave her a purpose, a family. She could not, would not, fail him.

She propelled herself faster, the sting of exertion a familiar burn that tethered her to reality. With every labored breath, fragments of Galaeth's past clawed at the edges of her consciousness. Whispers of who she was before—shards that never quite pieced together into a whole. They haunted her like specters, elusive and distorted, nipping at her heels with gnarled fingers of doubt.

"Keep moving," she hissed, the words expelled with force, as if they could sever the tendrils of memory. A shudder ran through her slender frame, a battle within against the onslaught of recollection that threatened to engulf her. A glint of sunlight caught her gaze, reflected in the pool of a nearby stream, her own eyes looking back at her—a cruel reminder of the reflection she scarcely recognized. Eyes that shifted color with the tumult of her soul now a piercing grey, mirroring the storm clouds overhead.

"Who are you?" The question slipped from her lips, barely audible over the rustling leaves. It hung in the air, unanswered, dissipating into the encroaching gloom.

Galaeth's breath hitched, sharp and ragged as the memory sliced through her consciousness. The chaos of battle erupted within her mind's eye—a cacophony of clashing steel and guttural cries that mingled with the scents of blood and churned earth. She stumbled, her pace momentarily broken by the vivid recollection of the day that had unveiled her curse—or gift, she could scarcely decide which.

The forest around her seemed to recoil, shadows twisting as if to echo the turmoil of that distant battlefield. Her hand reflexively found the hilt of her Chakram, fingers tracing the worn leather as if it were the very sword she'd seized in her earliest, darkest hour.

She had awoken then on a bed of fallen leaves, the forest canopy a shattered mosaic above. Screams and steel clashing, the scent of blood and churned earth—chaos was her crude awakening. She had awakened to a world splintering at its seams, the sky above a canvas of smoke and despair. Galaeth, dazed and disoriented amidst the writhing mass of combatants, had been an empty vessel—void of purpose, bereft of past. A soldier, eyes wild with the frenzy of war, had lunged for her, his blade a streak of death intent on claiming her life.

In the palpable beat before their fates collided, time constricted, and instinct surged where knowledge failed. With grace born of panic, Galaeth rolled away, her fingers finding the hilt of a discarded sword, its owner lying motionless, its cold metal an alien weight in her untried hands. The weapon hummed against her skin, a vibration that seeped into her bones, awakened something primal and potent. And then—a shiver ran up her arms, an electric whisper of skill flowing from steel to sinew. Knowledge flooded her senses, a deluge of technique and form that melded with her instinct as water with ink. She rose, the sword an extension of her will, and the dance began. Each swing, each parry, unfurled with lethal precision. Soldier after soldier fell before her, their numbers meaningless against the tempest she had become. With movements not her own, Galaeth parried, twisted, struck. Each motion was a dance she had never learned but executed with deadly precision. It was a ballet of bloodshed, choreographed by some unseen force that coursed through her veins, commandeering her limbs. The forest echoed with the cries of the fallen, a grotesque symphony that swelled until silence thundered in its wake. Alone amidst the carnage, Galaeth stood panting, her scales shimmering faintly under the blood-smeared moonlight, understanding the magnitude of what lay at her fingertips—and the abyss that yawned beneath it.

"Who are you?" A voice broke through the stillness, cautiously threading the space between them. Galaeth turned, muscles taut, to behold a figure armored in the solemn dusk. Sir Aldric Ashbourne emerged from behind a veil of foliage, his armor reflecting the somber light. He approached with caution, his hand resting on the pommel of his sheathed sword—not in threat, but readiness. His gaze lingered on the carnage before shifting to her, searching, questioning.

"Who are you?" he asked, his voice a soothing balm amidst the screams that still rang in her ears.

Galaeth's chest heaved, the adrenaline waning, leaving behind the ghostly chill of reality. She looked down at her hands, the blade now heavy and foreign once more. "I... I do not know," she confessed, the truth hollow in her throat.

"Come," Sir Aldric said gently, stepping closer, his eyes softening. "Let me take you from this place."

"Where?" Her own voice sounded foreign, a ghostly whisper in the shroud of night.

"Home." Simple. Unadorned. In that word lay sanctuary, a lighthouse beckoning amidst her sea of loss.

"Home," she echoed, testing the shape of it on her tongue, finding the edges of a truth she could not remember.

He nodded, his gaze never leaving hers—a silent vow forged in the aftermath of violence. In his presence, the tenebrous threads of her fractured existence seemed less daunting. She placed her hand in his, the scales glinting like muted stars against the iron-clad warmth.

They walked from the battlefield, the shadows of Nephele's spires reaching out as if to claim her, to enfold her in their ancient embrace. There, where the echoes of her first battle would forever linger, Galaeth Aster stepped into a new life—one haunted by the specters of a history unwritten yet teeming with the promise of a future fiercely her own.

Through the arched entryway of Aldric Ashbourne's stately home, Galaeth stepped over the threshold into a world unmarked by the chaos that had so recently ensnared her. The air was thick with the scent of old parchment and smoldering hearth fires, the hushed aura of the place wrapping around her like a cloak woven from shadows and secrets.

"Father, who is this?" The voice drifted down from the sweeping staircase, a melody woven in curiosity and the dulcet tones of youth.

Galaeth's gaze lifted, following the sound to its source. There, descending the steps with the grace of a fawn on tentative legs, was Elowen Seraphina Ashbourne. Her hair cascaded like a waterfall of spun gold around her shoulders, and her eyes, bright as dew-kissed violets, held the warmth of a sunlit glade.

"Elowen, dear heart, this is Galaeth," Aldric introduced, his voice a gentle rumble. "She will be staying with us for a time."

"Welcome to our home," Elowen said, extending a hand that shimmered with the innocence of one untouched by life's crueler edges.

"Thank you... Sera," Galaeth ventured, the nickname slipping out like an accidental revelation, a secret shared without intention.

A smile broke across Elowen's face, radiating light in the dim room. "Sera," she repeated, testing it herself, as if it were a newfound treasure. "I like it."

In the days that followed, a bond formed between them, a silent pact of sisterhood forged in the quiet moments. They wandered the labyrinthine corridors of the Ashbourne manor, their laughter echoing off the stone walls, their whispers confiding tales of dreams and fears. In the gardens, where roses climbed trellises like acrobats reaching for the sky, they shared solace in the solitude, two souls adrift in a world neither fully understood.

"Tell me of your past," Elowen would often ask, eyes wide with the hunger for stories untold.

"Nothing to tell," Galaeth would reply, her voice as hollow as the void within her memory. Yet in her heart, nestled among the thorns of her lost history, she knew that Elowen's friendship was the first real thing she had found in this new world—a beacon in the dark, guiding her toward a semblance of belonging.

"Then let us make new memories," Elowen declared with a determined tilt of her chin, a fierce loyalty sparking in her gaze.

"New memories," Galaeth echoed with a logging in her heart.

The seeds of camaraderie took root in the fertile ground of their shared isolation, a whisper of kinship that grew until it wrapped around Galaeth's heart, binding her to Elowen with vines stronger than steel. In the shelter of that bond, the darkness that clung to Galaeth's soul seemed less oppressive, the pain of her fragmented existence blunted by the solace of unconditional acceptance.

"Promise me," Galaeth found herself saying one evening as twilight painted the sky in bruises and blood, "that no matter what comes, you'll be there for me."

"Always," Elowen vowed, and the word was a balm upon Galaeth's battered spirit, a vow that tethered her to hope even as the specter of uncertainty loomed ever-present in the periphery of her vision.

"Always," Galaeth whispered back, allowing herself to believe in the possibility of a future unmarred by the scars of her unknown past.

She violently shoved the memory away, feeling its searing pain rip through her mind. Her entire being was consumed by the desperate need to save her beloved Sera. Nothing else mattered. Branches whipped at Galaeth's face, leaving thin red welts in their wake, souvenirs of her frantic passage through the forest. Aldric's face when he had told her—etched with lines of despair that seemed to age him a decade in mere moments—haunted her. His eyes, once bright with the steel of command, now dimmed by a pain so palpable it was as if she could reach out and touch the raw edges of his broken spirit. Galaeth stormed through the underbrush, her heart a thunderous beat against her ribs. Morning light bled through the canopy in thin, silver streaks, but the beauty of it was lost on her. Anguish choked her thoughts, each one a sharp claw raking across her mind—Elowen, taken; innocence, shattered. The bandits' trail was a scar upon the earth, a twisting path of broken branches and trampled ferns that Galaeth pursued with relentless determination. The signs were clear, as damning as they were grotesque: a scrap of Elowen's dress here, a drop of blood there. All whispers screaming the same dark refrain—slave traders under Arwin's cruel hand. "Curse them," she hissed, scales shimmering along her arms with a cold, ethereal glow. Her eyes, mood-swirled storms of color, blazed with an unspoken promise. She would tear the world asunder to bring Sera back. They had vowed always, and Galaeth's word was iron, her resolve steel. Galaeth's chest rose and fell with measured breaths, each one a silent incantation to keep the encroaching darkness at bay.

A rustle, the snap of a twig—she was alone, yet not. Her pulse quickened, but she did not turn back to search for Vizeren. His lingering presence was a ghostly touch on her senses; he mattered little now. She pushed forward, driven by an urgency that transcended fear. Elowen, sweet Sera, taken by bandits like a lamb led to slaughter. Anwir's corrupt tendrils reached far and wide, ensnaring the innocent in a web spun from malice and greed. The thought of her sister, a caged bird stripped of flight, fueled a silent rage within Galaeth's heart. Sir Aldric, once a towering figure of strength and honor, now lay wilted upon his sickbed, a man broken by grief. His whispered pleas echoed in her memory—a haunting refrain that spurred her onward. She would not fail him. Not when it was her blade, her will, that could carve a path to Elowen's freedom.

"Focus," she murmured, her voice a hushed command lost amidst the sighing leaves. It was more than a mission; it was a chance to reclaim the light snuffed out from their lives. Under Aedín's banner, she had risen through the ranks, her prowess undeniable, her resolve unshakable. Yet, it was Vizeren's enigmatic guidance that had shaped her into the weapon she had become. The coming infiltration of Anwir's fortress was not just another battle—it was personal.

The forest was a blur of shadow and light as Galaeth pushed through the underbrush, her strides long and urgent. With each step, the ground seemed to pulse beneath her feet—a reminder that time was slipping away like grains of sand in a tightening fist. Her sister's name was a silent mantra on her lips, fueling her resolve. Galaeth's eyes, windows to her roiling emotions, flared orange with worry, painting the world in a hue of desperation. The thought of Elowen, alone and frightened, was a blade twisting in her chest. She clenched her fists until the knuckles whitened, the anger within igniting into a crimson fire that set her gaze ablaze. Red, the color of blood yet to be spilled in retribution.

She wove between the trees, their gnarled roots reaching out like hands grasping at her heels, trying to slow her. But nothing could hinder her now. The memory of Sera's laughter echoed around her, mingling with the low growl of the wind as it whispered secrets only she could hear. A pang of realization struck with the force of a warhammer—she was late for the briefing. The first rays of sunlight had already danced through the leaves hours ago. This mission, this chance to command, was her opportunity to prove her worth not just as a soldier but as a leader. To Vizeren, to Aedín, to herself.

Nervous energy coursed through her veins, setting her skin tingling beneath the translucent scales. As the newest recruit, the weight of expectation pressed down upon her, molding her determination into something sharp and deadly. She would not falter under their scrutiny, nor crumble under the burden of their trust. With the campsite now in sight, nestled like a besieged fortress awaiting its captain, Galaeth steeled herself. Her breathing became measured, the rhythm of her heart syncing with the cadence of an unsung battle hymn.

"Late," she muttered, the word tasting like bile against her tongue. It was a lapse she could ill afford, not when every second mattered, not when Sera's fate hung by a slender thread.

Her eyes, ever shifting, settled on a hue as deep as the abyss. Emotion would not cloud her judgment, not when Sera's life hung in the balance. The weight of command rested heavily on her shoulders, a mantle she bore with equal parts dread and determination. "Find her," Galaeth whispered to the wind, a vow that left no room for failure. The leaves rustled in response, as if nature itself conspired to guide her steps. Ahead, the camp loomed, a jagged scar upon the landscape. The soldiers moved silently, their expressions a mix of determination and heartache. Just like her, many had lost loved ones to Anwir and his group of bandits.

Vizeren's form materialized beside her, a wraith given purpose, his gaze piercing the veil of her composure.

"Commander awaits," he intoned, his voice a chilling caress that belied the urgency of his words.

Galaeth nodded, her jaw set in grim acknowledgment. There was no room for tardiness, not when every moment brought Sera closer to a fate worse than death.

"Then let us not keep him waiting," she replied, her tone devoid of emotion, her eyes a fortress against the storm brewing within. Together, they moved toward the heart of the camp, where fate and steel would decide the course of all their tomorrows.

As she emerged from the treeline, the camp unfolded before her—a sprawl of tents and the clatter of armor, a hive of activity poised on the brink of chaos. Soldiers glanced up from their tasks, eyes flickering with curiosity and concern, but Galaeth's gaze was fixed forward, unwavering.

"Time waits for no one, least of all the absent," she whispered to herself, the sentiment a cold comfort. She strode into the camp, the red in her eyes dimming to embers, her focus narrowing to the task at hand.

"Forgive me, Sera," she breathed, "I am coming."

Galaeth's boots crunched on the dry leaves strewn across the path, each step a silent beat in the quiet before the storm. Under the canopy of ancient trees, whispers of shadow played upon her face, the forest a dark cathedral to her solitary march. The camp loomed ahead, a scar on the landscape where nature bowed to the will of war. She crossed the threshold, her silhouette etching a stark contrast against the sun-kissed canvas of tents and training grounds. She could feel the weight of countless eyes upon her, but their gazes slid off like rain on armor—she was impenetrable, unreadable, her emotions veiled by an ironclad resolve.

"Running from shadows, Galaeth?" Vizeren's voice cut through the din of the camp, smooth as a blade unsheathed in darkness.

She didn't startle this time; instead, her pulse steadied, a calm lake under the gaze of the moon. Without turning, she felt his presence—a chill in the air, the subtle void where light dared not linger. He was behind her, keeping pace with her stride, an enigma wrapped in the guise of man.

"Chasing dawn, Vizeren," she returned, her voice a murmur that danced with the wind. "One cannot afford to stand still."

Her eyes, those turbulent pools reflecting a soul aflame, shifted. With a focused breath, the crimson fury waned, yielding to the serene azure of a cloudless sky. It was a delicate art, this masking of true sight, a dance of iris and light. She held the blue steadily, a color of tranquility, of still waters—the antithesis of the tempest within.

"Blue suits you," he remarked casually, the hint of a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "But we both know storms lurk beneath calm surfaces."

"Then let us hope my storm can break the walls of Anwir's fortress," she said, her words carrying the weight of steel. Though her gaze now betrayed nothing, the relentless drumming of her heart echoed the truth of her fear, her anger, her love—for Sera, for justice, for vengeance.

They walked side by side, captain and lieutenant, bound by purpose and enshrouded in the gravity of their mission. The camp closed around them, a living entity aware of the stakes at play, its heartbeat synchronized with the warriors who bled into its soil.

Today, Galaeth would not bleed. Today, she would command. And if fate deemed it so, today would herald the first crack in Anwir's dark domain.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 129 19
I never knew that betrayal would come my way...especially when it was my own blood who commited the crime. The person I love...the family I once knew...
22 5 5
The novel depicts a matriarchal society where men are used just for work and are deemed as mere sources of seed to beget daughters. But technology wi...
762 75 37
Stranded in a world not their own, two teens struggle to avoid a war while searching for the person who summoned them, but some secrets are better le...
499 72 27
Living a life of progress, Sophia was good at her job, one of the best in her firm. But as recent activities unfold, she not only discovers who she i...