The Secrets a Snake Keeps...

By MissMegHolden

Nathan Sheppard is the new fifth year at Hogwarts. Although he is friendly and very talkative, those who have... More

Chapter 1 - A Regular Thursday
Chapter 2 - The Scriptorium Awaits
Chapter 3 - The Truth is a Heavy Thing
Chapter 4 - A Boggart in the Closet

Chapter 5 - And They Were Roommates

22 2 0
By MissMegHolden

I

Nathan really hated mornings. He was either up so early that it was still dark outside or laid in till he was the last one up. That Thursday was a bit of an oddity, Nate had woken up at the same time as the others that he shared his room with, which was a first.

Nate didn't know how to react. Should he stay in bed until the others had left? Should he get up and wander around until he was alone? He never liked getting dressed or undressed in front of strangers, it gave him a sense of vulnerability that he dreaded.

"Hey look who's awake." One of the other boys called out as he noticed Nathan's awake state. He was taller than him, with pale blond hair sleekly tied back into a half ponytail, he had a sharp angular face with a prominent Roman nose. But it was his cold pale blue eyes that stood out the most.

"It's too early for that Leo." Another teen piped in looking half awake with sleep-tussled black hair.

"Didn't mean you Ernie, I meant the new boy." There was the sound of clothes rustling and three pairs of eyes were on him. Nathan tentatively looked over at the others a lopsided smile on his lips.

"Morning," Nate muttered and the air in the room loosened up.

"Well, this is new." The final boy spoke. His short hair was spiked up and he was the only one that was nearly fully dressed. "What do we owe the privilege to you being awake at the same time as us plebians?" He mocked. Maybe Nate should have learned their names.

"Dunno, just woke up." Sleep was still heavy on his tongue as he sat up, the loud pops and cracks from his elbows and back filled the room as he stretched out.

"Nathan right?" Leo asked, at least he knew his name since the other black hair teen said it.

"Yeah, you can call me Nate though."

"Leo Malfoy," the blonde introduced himself, "that's Ernest Potter."

"Call me Ernie." The other black-haired boy piped up.

"And finally-" Leo was quickly cut off.

"Charles Hewitt, but my friends call me Charlie." The brunette quickly pulled his tie up, not bothering to turn around and address Nathan properly.

"Nice to make your acquaintance," Nathan spoke as he finally lifted his duvet off and placed his feet on the ground.

"We're about to head for breakfast, will you be joining us?" Leo asked as he pulled on his blazer.

"Thank you for the offer, I'll catch you up." For the first time, Leo's cold pale blue eyes caught Nathan's warm forest green eyes and a look of understanding passed over the blonde. Nathan quickly realising his error turned his head away and fluffed up his hair on his left side, quickly hiding his hideous scar.

"We'll save you a space." Ernie cheered as he dragged Charlie and Leo out of the room complaining about his stomach grumbling.

It took Nate barely any time to get himself dressed, face washed and hair looking somewhat acceptable. He was at the breakfast table sitting beside Leo munching on a chucky egg when something loud plopped down in front of him.

"Nate." He knew that voice and didn't even need to look up from his breakfast to react.

"Morning Seb, Morning Ominis." His roommates on the other hand had jumped at the other boy's loud random appearance.

"Didn't know you lot were friends?" Seb spoke making his accusation a question.

"They're my roommates," Nate explained.

"Nate finally woke up in time to actually meet us." Ernie happily imputed.

"Interesting." Ominis voiced, speaking for the first time that morning.

"Gaunt." Leo greeted the sandy blonde teen.

"Malfoy." Ominis greeted back. They had a mutual understanding and respect for one another, after all - they were both the black sheep of their families. But they never went out of their way to be friends with each other.

"Right, this just got strange - come on, Charms starts in ten minutes." Charlie rose from his seat, and Leo and Ernie followed suit.

"Nice to officially meet you, Nate - see you later," Ernie called out as they left the Great Hall.

"New friends?" Seb queried.

"Like I said, they're my roommates."

"Speaking of roommates." Ominis elbowed Seb in his ribs, reminding him of their morning mission.

"Oh yes!" Sebastian grabbed a sheet of paper from his robe and slammed it down in front of the black-haired teen in excitement.

"And this is?"

"We want you to move into our room." Ominis calmly stated.

"And your current roommate is alright with this?" Nate asked as he dipped another soldier into the chucky egg.

"Well, we haven't asked him yet-" Ominous starts but was quickly cut off by Sebastian.

"We were hoping you could talk to him since you're so good at convincing people to do things."

"I'm really not, but I'll talk to him - who is your roommate anyway?" Sebastian glanced at Ominis.

"I don't know his name." The blond admitted.

"You've shared a room with him since the start of the year, been in the same house as him for five years and were probably sorted together and you don't even know his name?" Nate asked as his empty plate disappeared from in front of him.

"When you put it like that it sounds bad," Nate simply raised a single eyebrow at the brunette. "Don't look at me like that - he normally hangs around your roommates, should be pretty easy to convince since he'll most likely be moving back in with his friends."

"Fine, I'll go talk to him." He takes the form from Sebastian's hands and looks it over, "but I make no promises."

II

Nathan was wandering the Asronomy Wing, definitely not lost in the slightest. He was mapping out the building internally so he would stop getting lost and using the field guide to find his way, the golden trail that came out of the book when he pointed to a specific place on the map had helped him more times than he could count. But he didn't particularly like the looks he received as he followed the glowing trail.

"Can't see this being much good to a half-blood." The voice cut him out of his musing. As he turned a corner he saw an older Slytherin teen with what must be one of his friends holding up a book and keeping it out of the reach of a first-year Hufflepuff student.

"Please!" The Hufflepuff yelled, begging the older teen to give back the book. Nate took a look at the other Slytherin, he didn't recognise him meaning he was either in the year above or below Nate. Either way, he was bullying a first-year and Nate didn't particularly care for bullies.

"What about you? What do you think" The Slythrin teen asked his friend.

"Please - just give it back." The Hufflepuff boy cried out once more, and Nate had heard enough.

"Accio," Nathan called out. The book quickly flew out of the older Slythrin's hand and into Nate's.

"Please - not you too." The Hufflepuff boy cried out as he made his way over to Nate. The black-haired teen turned the book over in his hands examining the title.

"Charming Charms by Oswald Grim sounds interesting, make sure you learn plenty from it." He gives the book one more glance over before he hands it to the Hufflepuff. The Hufflepuff hesitates, looking at the book and Nate before reaching for it and quickly pulling it to his chest.

"Thank you." He whispers before scampering away.

"What do you think you're doing?" The older Slytherin has a face of thunder, unhappy that his fun had been quickly squashed.

"What do you mean? I was only returning a book." Nathan cocked his head in a complete look of innocence.

"Don't you know who I am? I could ruin you-"

"What year are you in?" Nate's sudden question throws the older Slytherin off.

"Seven, clearly more advanced than you-"

"So you're seventeen, maybe eighteen and you find it funny and acceptable to torment and bully an eleven-year-old?"

"Thomas, we should go-" His friend tried to intervene but Thomas was too far gone to reason with.

"Who do you think you are? You're just some nobody that didn't have enough magic to get in during the first year - You're nothing special-"

"Neither are you if I'm being honest - you clearly have a superiority complex. What's got you so insecure?" He looks between Thomas and his friend. A pretty older Slytherin girl and it clicks in Nathan's mind like a puzzle piece. "Oh! You like her. You're bigging yourself up in front of her to impress her."

"Shut. Up." Thomas had gone completely red but a scowl was deeply etched in his face. Nathan never really knew how to shut his mouth. Thomas pulled out his wand, "you're going to regret ever coming here."

"Oh shi-" Nate quickly dodged out of the way as a spell was thrown at him. The quick barrage of spells from Thomas made Nate summon the Protego spell and keep it in place.

"The Headmaster's coming." One of the younger students yelled and most of the student body scattered to a safer vantage point.

"Expelliarmus!" The yell echoed throughout the hall and Thomas's wand went flying. Once he was disarmed Nate finally put down his protection.

"Headmaster, sir-" Thomas was quickly silenced by Headmaster Black raising his hand.

"Explain this mess at once." The headmaster's voice was calm but vicious.

"Sheppard antagonised me sir-" Thomas smirked thinking he could get out of trouble by throwing all the blame onto Nathan. He was just glad the young Hufflepuff had fled before the Headmaster appeared.

"Master Sheppard, explain." Headmaster Black stood tall, glaring at the boys.

"He was bullying a younger student, Sir, giving a bad name to Slyhterin's." Nathan had the good sense to at least look guilty about the results of the event. Headmaster Black looked over both of the teens, he had heard of Sheppard's escapades inside and out of the castle.

"Detention for both of you. You will explain to your head of house the reason for your detention. And if I hear any more of this happening expulsion will be the least of your problems, do I make myself clear?"

"Yes Sir." Both boys spoke not wanting to get into any more trouble. Headmaster Black leaned in, only wanting the boys to hear him.

"You are both Slytherin, act like it and do not dishonour our house again."

III

It turned out Ominis and Sebastain's roommate was called Owen Wood, the captain of the Slytherin Quidditch team. Sebastian was on the Quidditch team, how did he not recognise his own teammate? Nathan sighed as he made his way to the Quidditch pitch in the rain. Sebastian owed him big time.

Despite the rain, the Quidditch pitch was alive with activity. Different houses were scattered around the pitch, a handful of students were in the air practising manoeuvres and Imelda was challenging other students to a timed race. Imelda still hadn't beat his time yet.

"Hey Nate," A voice called from behind him, turning around revealed the voice to belong to Ernie Potter.

"Hi, Ernie." Nathan went back to his mission of scanning the student body to find his target.

"What brings you to this neck of the woods?" Ernie piped up. Nathan giving up trying to find his target in the misty rain turned to the other Slytherin. Ernie was dressed in simple Quidditch gear but with a fair amount of protection.

"Running drills?" Nate asked.

"Yeah, despite Quidditch being banned this year Wood won't let us get sloppy. Though, between Wood and Reyes I doubt we could get sloppy."

"Speaking of Wood - is he here? I need to talk to him."

"You thinking of joining the team." Ernie was practically sparkling, excited by the prospect of his new roommate joining the team.

"Not exactly - I'm still pretty new to flying a broom-"

"And yet Reyes can't beat your record time on the time trial, funny how that is, almost like you're a natural," If Ernie was fishing for something, Nate didn't understand what it was and eventual the other gave in, "Owen's up there by the way, and he won't come down till practice is finished, you'll have to go up to him." Ernie pointed upwards to the group of students directly above them.

"Oh god-" Nathan cringed, he hated flying in the rain.

"You got a broom?"

"Yeah, I have a broom, not a fan of flying in the rain though."

"Eh," he shrugged, "You'll be fine - probably. See you up there." Ernie summoned his own Hogwarts House Broom.

Nathan took a moment to let out a deep breath before he summoned his Silver Arrow Broom and flew up to the Slytherin team above him. Wood had just given his team drills when he reached the other boy. He had a leather helmet covering his short copper-brown hair and his tall frame was covered by the house Quidditch robe.

"Excuse me?" Wood turned on his broom to face the other teen.

"Nathan Sheppard." The other stated as a fact.

"I presume you are Owen Wood?"

"I see you're well informed - you after joining the team?" The look on Owen's face made Nathan think he couldn't mince his word, it was better to be straight - or as straight as he could be - with the Quidditch Captain.

"No, am I right in thinking you're Sebastian and Ominis's roommate?"

"You are - what's this about Sheppard?" Wood was getting impatient, he wanted to practice not talk.

"I want to swap room with you." Nathan couldn't get any more blunt if he tried.

"You move in with Gaunt and Sallow, and I'll move back in with Potter, Malfoy and Hewitt. That sounds admissible - How about this, we race, if you beat me then we'll switch rooms, no questions asked."

"Deal," Nate spoke with no hesitation, after all, he loved a good challenge.

"Excellent - I'll make it simple and we'll follow Reyes's usual time trial. Let the best flier win."

IV

"I see you've both filled the form out properly." Professor Sharp spoke as he glanced at the form for a room change Sheppard and Wood had given him.

"Yes Sir," Owen replied to their head of house.

"And what is the reason for this change?" Sharp inquired.

"I believe it would be a change that would be mutually beneficial to both of us as Sebastian and Ominis have been helping me catch up with my studies, being in the same room as them will most likely reduce the late-night study sessions."

"And it will mean me spending more time with my friend who keeps me focused on my studies rather than putting all my attention into just Quidditch like I am currently doing."

"You both make excellent points," Professor Sharp looked between the boys. Both of them were soaking wet and windswept, they had obviously raced for his outcome, but who instigated the race he couldn't tell. Owen Wood loved Quidditch and would gladly race anyone, and Nathan Sheppard, though not been in his house long had learnt the teen loved a good challenge and would never back down even when the odds were against him. "I shall allow it this one time."

Smiles grew on both boys as they quickly high-fived. Upon remembering whose presence they were in they quickly calmed down and turned back to Professor Sharp.

"Thank you, Professor."

"Yes, thank you, this is greatly appreciated."

"I assume both of you boys are capable of moving your belongings yourself." It was easy for the boys to agree. "You're both dismissed."

"Thank you, Professor." Owen turned as made his way to the Potions classroom exit, throwing a curious look at the other boy as he didn't follow the other's lead.

"I'm sorry Professor, but I have another matter to discuss."

Professor Sharp raised an eyebrow at the new fifth year. "I believe I may already know what this is about - go on."

"I may have gotten into a fight with an older student and gotten detention." Sharp sighed. He had heard about the said fight from his last class and knew there was more to the story than what Sheppard was letting on.

"Explain." Nate sighed he had hoped to get out of a full explanation, but since Sharp was an ex-auror he should have figured that he'd want all the details.

"An older student was bullying a first-year, keeping their library book away from them and taunting them, I summoned the book to my hand and gave it back to the first-year. I may have said something that aggravated the older student off and the next thing I know he's throwing spells at me. The Headmaster broke it up and put us both in detention."

Sharp regretted getting out of bed that day.

"Thank you for telling me, next time try and find a teacher before jumping in yourself, but good job on defending someone less capable than you."

"I'm not in trouble?"

"You're already in detention, I think that's punishment enough."

"Thank you, Sir."

"Go on, you've got your belongings to move."

That plastered a smile on Nate's face as he dashed out of Potions Classroom door and headed off in the opposite direction of the Slytherin Common Room.

"I need to get that boy a map."

V

It took over an hour but Nathan finally found the entrance to the common room. He had accidentally wandered to the Greenhouse and ended up helping Professor Garlick with the plants before remembering he needed to tell Ominis and Sebastian the good news.

"Nate, where have you been?" Sebastian called out from the couches by the fireplace. He and Ominis sat comfortably on the larger couch, a book in Sebastian's lap. They were most likely discussing something to do with the book before they caught wind of Nate's entrance.

"Sorry, I got lost - but I have news."Nate practically bound over to them. Both of them sat up to give him their full attention.

"You got into a fight?" Ominis joked as he took a spit of the tea on the side table.

"How do you know about that?" The blonde choked on his tea.

"You actually got into a fight?" Sebastian yelped as he quickly stood and patted Nathan down, making sure the other boy wasn't hurt anywhere.

"I'm fine - it was pretty one-sided and I ended up with detention, but that's not the news." Ominis had finally recovered from choking on his tea.

"What could possibly top you getting into a fight?" The blonde asked as he sat up.

"You boys have a new roommate." The three of them quietly cheered to not draw any more attention to themselves.

"I knew you'd be able to do it." Seb proudly announced as he puffed out his chest.

"And you both will be helping me move my belongings." Nathan happily threw in.

"I don't remember agreeing to that?" Seb protested.

"No need, I volunteered you - Now come on we have no time to lose." He looped his arms around the other two and dragged them off in the direction of his current dorm room.

Once inside the room, they bore witness to Leo Malfoy lounging on his bed with a book in his hand and Charles Hewitt at his desk furiously writing. Nathan continued dragging his friends into the room despite their protests.

"Hello," Nathan called out to the other boys. Leo lowered his book and looked up at the trio that entered the room.

"Twice in one day, who'd have thought." Leo commented, "And you brought riff-raff." That grew a chuckle out of Nate while the other two looked mildly offended, Leo curled his lip at the fact that he made Nate laugh.

"Don't worry, your secrets are safe - they're here to help me pack my things."

"We offended you that much that you're moving out?" Charlie piped up, taking a short break from his writing.

"No nothing like that, Owen is taking my place so you shouldn't miss me too much." Nathan rationalised.

"Owen Wood, is moving back in?" Charlie asked as he stood from his chair.

"That's what I just said." Nate had moved to his wardrobe and started pulling out his clothes and laid them on his unkempt bed.

"So it's just a coincidence the day you probably meet us is the day you move out?" Leo asked, he put a bookmark in his book and put it down the the bedside table.

"It was pure coincidence I swear to you."

"Huh - I guess we know where Ernie is then," Leo stated. Ominis was neatly folding up each item of clothing that Nate placed on his bed while Sebastian gathered together all the books tossed around that had the possibility of being Nathans.

"Helping Owen gather his things to move rooms?" Charlie questioned.

"Guessed it in one." Ernie's happy voice pipes up from the doorway, he was carrying a shrunken trunk in his hand, presumably holding all of Owen's belongings, with Owen standing next to him.

"Nate, mate, how do you have so many clothes?" Sebastian asked as Nate kept pulling more out of the wardrobe.

"I go on frequent shopping trips with Natty to Gladrags." Nathan quickly called out knowing that wasn't the full truth.

"I haven't seen most of these robes in Gladrags and I know for a fact that Mr Hill would never sell a robe like this." Seb held up his Kraken cloak.

"Please don't tell me you got it out of a cave," Ominis complained as he grabbed the sleeve and gave it a distasteful sniff.

"Actually I found that one inside a crypt that needed a chess move to open up."

"A crypt!" Ernie yelped.

"Well yes, I like to adventure and crypts always have the best treasure." Nathan rationalised.

"Please tell us you at least washed it and didn't steal it off a body?" Leo queried, growing more and more worried.

"Of course, I washed it, it had years of dirt all over it."

"And what about stealing it off a body?" Seb asked hoping that his friend didn't rob a dead man's body.

"It was a wooden chest inside the crypt, no dead men stolen from, stop your fretting."

"Nate," the black-haired boy looked away from the wardrobe, he hadn't even started on his shoes yet, and toward Leo who had spoken, "This is why your friends worry about you."

"Not you too-"

"Thank you!" Both Sebastian and Ominis yelled.

"This is why you need supervision every time you leave the Castle," Nate remained silent at Ominis's words, "When have you snuck out without us knowing."

"The Floo network is a very useful thing, I don't even need to leave the common room to leave the castle at this point." Nate was digging himself a deeper hole.

"Please ground him." Charlie pleaded.

"Ha, none of you are my mother, good luck with grounding me." He finished pulling out his shoes from the bottom of his wardrobe, a whole twelve pair and one odd left one and placed them in his chest at the end of his bed.

"Nate, you're moving in with us, we'll be able to catch you every time you try to sneak out." Seb quickly shrunk Nathan's chest with all his belongings in and picked it up before the other boy could protest.

"Shi- hey we can talk about this." As Gaunt, Sallow and Sheppard left the room the rest of the boys suddenly realised that they may have dodged a very chaotic bullet.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 118 12
Garreth Weasley is good at Potions... and not much else. You, a bookish, lonesome Ravenclaw with a weighted family secret, are good at everything...
2.7K 110 22
In her sixth year at Hogwarts, Vera Zograf is determined to find solace amidst the chaos that surrounds her. Still reeling from the recent battle aga...
109K 3.8K 42
It's the Golden Five's Sixth Year At Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. Things will begin to get more difficult when Kiana finds out a secr...
9.7K 113 12
The portrait vault was opened, curse broken, and Jacob freed. But when Jacob runs out on young Sarahi again, it breaks her heart further. Rakepick's...