Never Without You │ BOTW mode...

By Finnclarkson

A relationship between an internationally praised athlete and a straight A student who hates any kind of atte... More

Quick Welcome Back!
Different
Your Fault
One More Day
Just the Two of Us
Broken
I Had So Many Reasons
Birthday Candles
Make a Wish
Tell Me Everything's Fine
Expelled
The Heart of Hyrule
Consequences
A One-Time Thing
Drunk
No Means No
Fool
I Do
You
A Good Day
Do It Again
Happiness
There's Nothing Wrong With Being a Virgin
A Dead Sparrow On The Pavement
Hey
Overthinking is a Waste of Time
Letting Go and Moving On
3F
Aryll
よろしくおねがいします
宮本リンク
みらい
おやすみ
コンビニ
夏祭り
ルト
過去
新しい関係と古い傷跡
立ち呑みやま
祇園 小森
Hero
Good Person
Bad Person
Breaking Up
I haven't been honest about Ruto
All the Things that Hurt Us
Breath of the Wild
Mount Lanayru
Slumbering Power
Just Feel
Never Without You
While We Were Gone
Hyrule University vs. Karusa Valley
You and Me, No Lovers
A Smile on Revali's Sour Face
Kiroh
Taking a Shower
Can't Always Get What You Want
Homeless
Another Smiley Face on the Glass
Mía
Death Wish
Not Safe
Prison
Consent
Taking a Life
Already dead
Everything I Do is For Us
I'm Not Going Anywhere
If you could snap your fingers and make it all go away
Flowers and Chocolate
Bus Stop
Deku
I Vowed to Protect Your Daughter
We're Not Friends
Temptation
Nobody to Blame
Love Can Take Many Forms
Therapy
Lemonade
Shad
Bonfire
When She Gives Her Heart to Him, She Breaks My Heart in Two
The Crying of Lot 49
Eternal Riddler
Ramses
Game of Doors
Brothers
We Are Getting Married
Bumblebee
Tennis Ball
I Made Sure of That
Thanksgiving
Just For One Night

A Complex Puzzle

1.8K 69 177
By Finnclarkson

*Can we talk?* Revali's message says.

I want to prioritize Revali but the door to Father's office swings open before I can respond to the text. Father greets me with a confused look on his face.

"Zelda? What are you doing home so early? I thought you had your counseling appointment today."

"I did," I say, "Two hours ago."

"Ah."

We look at each other in awkward silence for a few seconds, then he asks, "How did it go?"

"It went well," I say hesitantly.

"Yes? It went well?" He asks with a smile. I appreciate Father's interest in my well-being as long as he doesn't ask about any details.

"Yes. I opened up to Dr. Deku about some of my concerns and he gave some really good advice."

"Did it help?"

How fast does this man think therapy works? Dr. Deku is good but he's not a miracle worker.

"I don't know yet," I say calmly, "We'll see. For now it certainly didn't exacerbate the problem."

Father nods understandingly. He's in a good mood, I can tell because he hasn't brought up school or politics yet.

"So why did you knock?" He asks.

"Oh, right," Revali's message almost made me forget, "I was going to talk to you about something."

"I see..." Father steps aside, "Come on in then. Let's talk."

And just like that, my heart begins to throw itself against my ribcage, trying desperately to escape this situation before it's too late. Ignoring my rising pulse, I enter his office with leaden steps. No turning back now.

As we settle into our seats, facing each other on opposite sides of his desk, I open Revali's chat and quickly respond: *I can't talk right now. Would tonight work?*

Father clears his throat in irritation. He despises it when I'm distracted by my phone, particularly during our conversations. Without even glancing at Revali's reply, I put my phone away, not willing to risk Father's good mood for a text.

"Sorry," I offer, watching his smile return.

"It's alright," Father nods. "I understand."

That's a first.

"Were you texting Link?" He asks. "Did he manage to secure a place to stay?"

"Er..." Is this one of those rare moments of Father showing concern for someone other than himself? "Not yet," I say.

I suppose I should call myself lucky to have caught Father in a good mood today. If he shows concern for Link's living situation, perhaps he will consider Malice's situation before completely rejecting my proposal of letting her stay in the guest bedroom. Though Link got kicked out of his fraternity, his situation is similar to Malice's in the sense that neither one has a place to stay.

I should explain that to Father. He needs to understand that Malice really needs our help even more than Link. Link's predicament weighs heavily on my mind too, but at least he doesn't have a drug problem on top of his living situation.

This is why I worry that Father will say no. Not only because Malice is friends with Karusa and might interfere with the trial, but because she is battling addiction on top of everything. If I mention that to Father, he will surely say no to all of this.

I glance at my phone, flipping and turning it over in my hands. Part of me wishes I could freeze time and focus on Revali right now. The fact that he asked to speak to me twice now worries me. He is not the type of person who asks for help easily, he will usually wait until the very last minute to ask anyone for anything, like with Mipha or that time when Anju and Kafei were fighting. I wonder what it could be about this time.

Revali may not be battling with homelessness or addiction, but I'm sure he has his own set of problems that he is dealing with. Like his unhappy living situation. On multiple occasions he has expressed his discontent with living at the frat house, yet he seems to deal with it on his own, week after week after week.

All my friends... And all these challenges... They are but pieces of a complex puzzle.

Turning my phone over again, the screen lights up with Revali's message big and bright across the lock screen.

*Just lmk when you're free* he said.

And suddenly it hits me! This puzzle is not complex at all! It's fairly simple, actually, and I think I just solved it!

Could this really be the answer?

"Father," I begin, still figuring out if I am really going through with this.

The solution, so simple, yet so profound, begins to take shape in my mind. My heart races as I consider the potential of this plan. Could it really work?

"Zelda?" He raises a curious brow. "What is it?"

I don't overthink it. Although I probably should. I should take some time to carefully contemplate this decision. But it feels right.

It is right.

And there is nothing holding me back anymore.

I raise my gaze to meet my father's, newfound confidence shining in my eyes.

"I want to move out."

There is a moment of silence that stretches between us. Father seems to be processing my words, likely questioning whether he heard me correctly. Meanwhile, I, too, grapple with the reality of the words I've just spoken.

It makes so much sense. If I move out, I have the freedom to bring Malice with me. I could offer her a real home. A place where she doesn't have to hide. Link could live with us as well. He would have a safe and stable place to stay and our relationship would finally have the room and freedom to flourish without any more obstacles. And by offering Revali to live with us as well, he wouldn't have to live at the frat house anymore.

Father, however, looks at me with a mixture of disbelief and aversion.

Leaning forward over his desk, his head slightly tilted, he softly utters a hesitant, "Pardon?"

"I want to move out," I say again, more resolute than the first time.

"Move out?" He repeats, a whirlwind of questions tumbling from his lips. "Move out to live where? And how? And with whom? By yourself? You, all alone?"

"Slow down," I bid. "Please don't freak out."

"Zelda," he shakes his head, his eyes wide with surprise. "No."

"Why not?" I ask, remaining calm.

"You are too young to be thinking about moving out."

"I am 19," I say.

"You are 18."

"I'm turning 19 in less than a month," I counter.

"How are you going to pay for your own apartment?"

"I will get a job."

"You?" He scoffs rudely. "While double majoring?"

"Sure."

"Impossible."

"Possible."

"I won't allow it."

"You've agreed to it once before," I say.

"When?"

"Last year in autumn."

"I did?"

"Yes. And besides, I've conquered more challenging hurdles in life. I'm sure I can handle a weekend job next to my academics," I reply, leaning back in my chair, arms crossed, my confidence unwavering. "Also, I'll be living with my friends, which makes rent more than affordable."

"What friends? Who will you be living with? Have I met these people?"

"Yes, you have."

"Is it Link? You are moving in with Link, aren't you? Because I sent him away? Because I told him he couldn't live here? Now you are moving out with him? Is this you trying to rebel against my decisions?"

"Nobody is rebelling against your decisions, Father."

"Tell me, is it Link you're moving in with?"

"Not just Link," I shake my head.

"Who else?" He prods.

"Revali," I say as though it's already a done deal.

"Two boys, huh?" Father leans back, his eyes glued to mine as if they were trying to find out whether I'm bluffing. I would mention Impa, but she's basically a boy and not the most mature person in Father's eyes. "I don't want you to live with them," he finally declares.

"It wouldn't be the first time," I retort. "I lived with Link, Revali, and a bunch of other 'boys' during the fall semester last year."

"And I detested it."

"But nothing happened," I emphasize.

Father doesn't see it that way. "Plenty happened," he says.

I'm not sure what he's referring to but I know he will find a million reasons to say no to this. It's a shame he hasn't realized yet that I don't need his approval. All I truly seek is his support. And knowing him, it will take a million reasons to persuade him.

"Father, I understand your concerns, but please hear me out. I've thought this through–" I really haven't thought this through but– "I believe moving into my own apartment could actually be a good thing for several reasons."

"Such as?"

"First, it's an opportunity for me to take on more responsibility and become more independent. I've been living at home for most of my life, and I think it's time for me to experience life on my terms. Last year, when I was living in the fraternity, I grew so much as a person and became independent for the first time."

Father nods hesitantly. "Alright, what else?"

"Second, I'll have a job to cover the rent and living expenses. With my double major, I've learned to manage my time efficiently, and I'm confident I can balance my studies and a part-time job."

"Go on..."

"Thirdy, this will also teach me financial responsibility, which is an essential life skill."

"Those are all fair points... What else?"

He wants more?!

"It also looks good on my resume to have some work experience before I graduate. Even if it's just a part-time job."

"Hm... Okay, what else?"

"Seriously?" I sigh exhausted. "Fine." I straighten my back, ready to find that millionth reason that will finally convince him. "I know you've always had concerns about my inexperience and youth, and you worry that I might not be ready to take on the challenges of adulthood. By taking this step, I can demonstrate my readiness to shoulder adult responsibilities and gain the skills needed to take care of myself. This move isn't just about independence; it's about proving that I can handle the responsibilities of the real world. I hope it will put your worries to rest."

He pinches the bridge of his nose, unsure what to say. This is a good sign. It means he isn't turning me down immediately. He's actually thinking about it.

Time to seal the deal.

"Father, I promise to maintain boundaries with the guys and respect your concerns. I went to Japan over the summer and nothing happened. So trust me when I say that I know how to set boundaries."

"Why is this suddenly so important to you?" he asks. "Did I do something that made you want to leave again?"

"No," I shake my head compassionately. "You have done nothing wrong, Father. I'm not making this decision lightly, but I'm fully committed to making it work. All I need is your support." I reach across the desk and place my hand on his. "I know this can be a positive step for all of us."

As his eyes open to meet my eyes, I notice that they are glossy, and for the very first time, the walls he's built around himself are beginning to crumble, allowing me to see a glimpse of his vulnerability.

Maybe instead of talking to Dr. Deku, Malice could learn a thing or two from Father. I can't believe his walls are crumbling before hers.

"Okay," Father says.

I don't believe my own ears.

"Okay?" I ask shocked.

"Under one condition."

Of course, there's a condition. It's his all-time favorite word after all.

"I will pay for your rent," he says.

"What?"

"If you really want to move out, I suppose I can't lock you in your room." Because you're not Ganondorf. "I understand that you are free to leave whenever you choose. I just wish it wasn't happening so soon." He shifts in his seat and his gaze softens. "I would ask you to think this over for a little while longer, but I'm sure you have already spent months contemplating this decision."

I nod when I really just came up with it on the spot.

"I'm determined not to let us grow distant as we did last year," he continues. "You being in my life means a great deal to me, and if that involves letting you spread your wings, then allow me to provide the financial support you need to fully concentrate on your studies."

For the first time, I feel like he truly understands and supports my decision. His willingness to help financially, despite his initial reservations, means a lot!

With a tremulous smile, I squeezed his hand and replied, "Thank you, Father. Your support means more to me than you'll ever know. This is a step towards both of us growing and strengthening our bond, not drifting apart. Perhaps we could do something together every once in a while or go to dinner together once a week or something like that."

"Tell you what," he grins warmly. "I have an invitation to an upcoming Charity Auction next month. How about you join me and select a piece of artwork to grace your new apartment?"

"Truly? That sounds delightful!"

In the midst of our excitement, his phone rings, disrupting the moment. He explains it's a work matter and excuses himself to take the call. While he engages in his conversation, I silently mouth "Thank you, Father" and discreetly exit his office.

Once the door quietly falls in its lock, I silently jump up and down, celebrating my victory! Am I really doing this? I can't believe it!

I bring up my phone to tell Link, but when my phone unlocks I land on Revali's chat, reminded of his request to speak to me.

I write back: *I'm free now.*

It only takes a minute for him to respond: *Meet @ the frat house?*

That's when I realized that I completely forgot to talk about Malice. Father still doesn't know about her, and if he found out now, he will certainly not let me move out. I look back at Revali's message. I can't leave Malice alone all evening. I have to make sure she doesn't make any noise and doesn't try to find the pills I hid in my room. And what if she gets hungry and decides to take a trip to the kitchen? Or if Father attempts to enter the guest bedroom?

*I can't leave my house, I'm babysitting tonight,* I say, which is technically not a lie. *Do you want to come over to my house?* I offer.

He marks my message with a thumbs up, too lazy to give me an actual response. I roll my eyes and send him my address.

While I wait for Revali to arrive, I call Link to tell him the good news. He picks up on the third ring and I have to hold back little squeals of excitement.

"Hey," he answers the phone.

I didn't think it was possible, but my smile grows even larger just by the sound of his voice!

I greet him ecstatically. "Good afternoon, Handsome."

"Handsome?" Link questions.

"Gorgeous," I correct myself with a quiet giggle.

"Ma'am, I think you have the wrong number."

"I don't think so, darling."

He gasps, "Darling?"

"Yes, sweetheart?" I joke.

I can practically feel his smirk through the phone. "You're cute."

"Who, me?"

"Yes, you."

"Why, thank you, Mister."

Link chuckles. "And what's the occasion for this lovely call, my darling?" He asks. "You don't already miss me, do you?"

"Painfully so, dear!" I sigh dramatically.

"So this is a booty call?" Link laughs.

"Not at all," I say. "I miss you, it's true, but that doesn't mean it's the reason for my call."

"Then what is it?"

I return to my normal voice. "First of, how are you? What are you up to right now?"

"I'm good," he says. "Just struggling with astronomy homework. What about you?"

"I'm doing good," I say. "Just wondering how the apartment search has been going."

"Eh... Found some cheap ones but you wouldn't like the neighborhood."

"You're right, I probably wouldn't." I'm still grinning so hard. "Have you looked at any two bedroom apartments?"

"TWO?" He laughs. "I can't even afford ONE! I've been looking at studios mainly."

"Listen," I say coolly. "I have an idea."

"Yeah?" He asks curiously.

"What if you shared the space with roommates?"

"Um... I don't know. After living in the frat I'm kinda over it," he says. "Why? You got someone in mind?"

I nod joyously. "Yes, I know someone who needs a place to stay."

"Who? Do I know him?"

"It's a girl," I say.

"You want me to live with a girl?"

"Would you be okay with that?"

"Would you?" he asks me back.

"I think it would be nice."

"I'm confused."

"It's me, you dork!"

"You?"

"Yes me," I laugh. "Would you like to live with me?"

"How? Did you convince your dad to let me stay?"

"No, actually, I convinced him to let me go."

"What?"

"I'm moving out."

"You are?" He asks in greater disbelief than Father when he first found out.

"Yes! And I was thinking we could live together?"

"Are you for real?!" he asks, his voice finally catching up with my excitement!

"Yes, but there's a catch," I admit. "Rent would still be pretty expensive between the two of us, so what do you think of sharing the place with some of our friends?"

"Like who?"

"I was thinking... Revali?"

"Ravioli? Do you even consider him a friend?"

"Sure I do," and this might be the right time to tell Link, "he's actually meeting me in a bit."

"Wait what?"

"He said he needs to talk to me about something."

"I didn't know you guys hang out," Link says.

"We don't usually hang out."

"Is this the first time?"

"Yes."

Link pauses for a moment. I wonder what's going through his mind right now.

"Did he say what he wanted to talk about?" Link asks.

"No. I have no clue. But it must be pretty important if he's willing to drive all the way up to my house."

"He's coming to your house?" Link says, making it hard to read his emotion.

"Yes, is that okay?"

"Yeah, of course it's okay."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, sorry, it's just weird."

It does feel a bit strange, I give him that. But I'm glad he's okay with it.

"I'll let you know how it goes, okay?"

"Sounds good."

Guiding the conversation back to our previous conversation, I try but fail to suppress my grin. "Would you be interested in that idea though?"

Link chuckles lightly, "If you can convince Ravioli to share a living space with me, I guess I'm down to do it."

"Really?" I gush all over my phone.

"Maybe we can convince Impa too," I say, more as a joke to see his reaction.

"And Mipha," Link adds to my surprise.

"Absolutely!" I cheer, unable to keep my enthusiasm hidden.

"It's gonna be so lit," Link laughs along.

"Do you want to start looking at apartments right now until Revali shows up?" I ask Link, who gladly agrees and instantly begins spamming my phone with dozens of online listings. Now instead of studios, we are looking at 2 to 3 bedroom apartments!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 469 36
Dr Haseena Malik is summoned to the court for expert advice, little does she realise her acceptance to perform her civic duties might prove to be the...
79K 851 22
The title is self-explanatory, but this book will contain writing prompts like 'Getting stuck on a ferris wheel' and 'Cooking while drunk.' The inspi...
24.8K 319 72
This story is a Fanfic of Wings of Fire (HUMAN AU)! Our main characters, Winter and Moon go through the struggles of high school. Winter goes through...
10.5K 353 14
It all started when they moved into the dorms. A friendly game of truth or dare gets complicated, and things take a turn for better or worse. What ha...