JEEVAN

By ATIMAHS

In the ocean of life, a man lost his willingness to live. His life hung on the thin thread of desire. Desire... More

Author's Note
Character Sketch
Prologue
1- Test and Quest
2-Hopes and Memories
3-Plans & Tantrums
4- One Step Forward,Two Steps Back.
5- Regret and Longing
6- The Confrontation
7- Phones & Kheer
8- Ultimatum & Baba
9- Being Her Father
10- His Arni
12- Forgiveness
13- Papa-Beti time
14- A Promise
15- Chasing Trouble
16- An Unexpected Mission
17- A Broken Promise
18- Broken Hope
19- Roshni Arjun Rawte
20- An Intrusion
21- Echoes of Misfortune
22- JEEVAN!
Epilogue(1)
Epilogue(2)
Book Sequel

11- Running Wild

1K 87 41
By ATIMAHS

A/N

Got a couple of exams lined up for the next two weeks. So don't expect anymore updates.

And thank you for your valueable votes and comments on the last chapter and excuse me for my inability to respond to them personally.🙃

Enjoy!

________________________________________________________________________

Arni sent a silent prayer to the upper heavens just before her class teacher opened her mouth.

Vidhi in a honey laced tone- "Well you see, Mr. Rawte, she's a good child...just a bit misguided I am afraid."

Arjun frowned and looked at Arni who was looking everywhere but at him.

"What do you mean, Miss Khanna?"

Vidhi smiled- " Nothing tho stress about Mr. Rawte! She is just a bit mischevious. I mean abhi last week ki hi baat hai, her Social Science teacher, went out of the class for a while and inhone unke book ke beech ek plastic lizard rakh di! She nearly got a heart attack when she opened it!" She shook her head and laughed.

Arjun was perplexed. A bit more by the teacher's casual behaviour than Arni's prank.

"Is that true,Arnika?" he asked in a normal voice. No matter how mad he was at her, he won't show his displeasure infront of a third person. Kids this age are quite sensitive about that. He had read that in the 35th chapter of the '101 ways to be an ideal parent' book last night. He cleared his mind of those thoughts and looked expectantly at Arnika.

In response, she just looked down. Only if that bitch Varnika wouldn't have snitched to the teacher, she would have gotten away scott free! She mentally reminded herself of her plan of revenge. She'll surely execute it this week!

Vidhi interrupted - "Aree what will she say? She didn't even admit it to the teacher that she did something like that."

Arjun frowned. "Check the CCTV camera, then!" Wasn't it obvious?

Vidhi shook her head- "Nahi, Mr. Rawte! Let it be. Agar yeh baat principal Tak pahuchi to she might get in some serious trouble!" The truth being that she didn't want to put her class' reputation at stake.

Arjun raised his eyebrow. Didn't she deserve to get in trouble? He looked at Arnika who gave him a pleading look. He certainly won't let it go but he'll just agree with the so called teacher this once.

Vidhi- "She has the potential to be one of the best students of her grade only if she cuts down on her shenanigans."

Arjun nodded- "I'll surely have a talk with her."

Arnika gave him a side eyed glance. That 'talk' sounded scary. She had always wanted her father to attend her meetings but not like this. He had literally come here to listen to her complaint. And this class performance by class teacher shit wasn't helping either!

Vidhi shook her head- "You see, Mr. Rawte, parents baccho ka behaviour school me toh manage nahi kar sakte na? Ab woh school toh aate nahi unke saath. So aapko mujhe hi inki mummy banana hoga."

Arjun- "Excuse me?"

Arni choked on oxygen listening to that.The woman's sweet words combined with that repetitive batting of eyelids made sense now. At that moment, she wanted nothing but to throw the glass of water on her face.

Vidhi gave a nervous laugh- "I mean teachers are second parents. Especially, class teacher. I act as her mother in the school. Only if she respects and listens to me like one! Samjhaiye isse."

Arjun raised his eyebrow. "You are her 'class teacher'. You must know how to make her listen to you. I am sure you don't go around urging other parents to do the same, Ms. Khanna."

Some way to show the woman her place! Arni felt like whistling but refrained from doing so. The list was already getting long but the satisfaction would be worth it, wouldn't it? The saner part of her held her back, though.

On the other hand, Vidhi completely overlooked his sarcasm and gave him a smile. Just then the bell rang. Arnika got up at once.

Arni- "Oh assembly time ho gaya. I'll go. Aap bhi niklo papa" She said in a flow but then gulped when Arjun gave her a look, "I mean...aap bhi jaiye papa. Late ho raha hoga na..."

Before Arjun could say anything, Vidhi interrupted- "You can go to the assembly hall, Arnika. I'll discuss your grades with your father,hmm?"

Arnika rolled her eyes and left grudgingly. How she wished she could push her down the window! 

Arjun made a mental note to have a discussion about her attitude as well!

Vidhi browsed through her laptop and smiled. She forwarded it to him.

Vidhi- "So this is her performance report. Mid terms and class tests me uski performance ko easily evaluate Kiya jaa sakta hai." She got up from her chair and walked towards him. She leaned down to his level and pointed out certain points in the graphs.She was close to him, a bit too close for his liking.

Arjun stiffened- "How about you send the link of this file to me? I could get access to it anytime I want that way."

Vidhi got up and walked back to her chair. "Sure. Your phone number?"

Arjun looked at her laptop and hit some keys. "I have mailed it to myself,Ms. Khanna. Anyways about Arnika's academic performance, in what subjects does she lack?"

Vidhi- "Well I'll say, she only performs in subjects she likes. Her grades in Maths and Computer Science are quite high, in fact the highest in the class. But when you see other subjects like Language and Social Science, you'll se her grades falling. At times, she barely passes her class tests."

Arjun frowned. Whenever he asked her about her studies, she just said that it was good and he blindly believed her. If this was her definition of good then he'll surely need to help her define certain terms today.

Arjun- "Aap usse English padhati hai. So tell me problem kaha hai? Is she weak in those subjects or some other problems?"

Vidhi- "She doesn't pay attention in the class, Mr. Rawte. Most of the times, she is busy daydreaming."

Arjun- "I see. I think that would be all,Ms. Khanna. Anything else?"

Vidhi shook her head. "By the way, Mr. Rawte. Are you single?"

Arjun frowned- "Excuse me?"

Vidhi- "I mean are you a single parent?"

Arjun- "Yes. I'll take a leave,now. Thank you."

He didn't want to be in the lady's company for a minute longer!

________________________________________________________________________

Kashvi- "Abhi bolegi kya hua hai? Aisa sada hua muh banake kyun baithi hai?"

Arni- "Woh good for nothing Daayan! Man karta hai use itne punch maaru ki uska 20 kilo make up powder ki tarah udd jaaye!"

Both Kashvi and Kavin giggled at her words. Their friend had some weird imagination.

Kavin- "Kya kiya ab Sasti Shakira ne?"

Arni- "Papa ko meri complain kar di!"

Both Kashvi and Kavin widened their eyes comically and looked at each-other. They were quite scared of Arjun themselves, especially Kavin. The idea of their friend being in trouble with her scary father was horrifying.

Arni noticed their expressions. They looked more scared than her!

Arni felt the need to defend her father- "Aree kha nahi jayenge wo mujhe. Zyada se zyada daatenge...ya phir...maybe?"

That was the problem. With Kabir, she knew that he won't ever raise his hand on her. He was more bark than bite but she didn't know what to expect with her father. The one time she got in serious trouble with him, she was grounded for two weeks and he didn't even make sure that she completed her grounding.

But something told her that that won't be the case this time. He had still not relented on giving her iPad back and nearly sent her to the corner last day when she pestered him. She had planned to pester him to buy her a new phone before he joined back his duty next week but couldn't find the courage to do so. And now with this new trouble, she highly doubted that she'll get her new phone anytime soon!

Kashvi- "Shaam me mai landline pe call karungi ha?"

Kavin- "To ensure that you are alive."

Kashvi- "Accha yeh bata ki tere funeral se koi special expectations hai kya teri?"

Kavin- "Ha I mean hum bollywood songs Baja sakte hai aur kala chasma theme bhi rakh denge."

Arni gave them an offended look 

Kashvi- "Accha chal! Arijit Singh ke sad songs Baja denge."

Arni irritated- "Chup Karo dono! And tell me ki ye Varnika ke payback ka kya scene hai? Plan kab implement karna hai?"

Kavin- "Plan fool proof hai aur iss mission me aap humari chief hai so aap bataiye madam ki plan kab implement karna hai?"

Kashvi- "You guys will get in trouble,okay? Mai nahi involve ho rahi isme and tum log bhi mat ho."

Arni- "Chup be! Itna important role hai tera... actually Teri ye good girl wali image ka important role hai. Anyways, I guess kal karte hai."

Kavin clicked his tongue. He was in full mood of action today!

Kavin- "Aaj kyun nahi?"

Arni rolled her eyes. She knew she couldn't concentrate on her plan today. The impending session was occupying the major part of her mind!

"Kyunki Aaj shukravaar hai and mere pandit ji ne mujhe shukravaar ko pranks karne se mana Kiya hai!"

Both Kashvi and Kavin gave her a duh look.

_______________________________________________________________________

Arjun walked on the beach gazing longingly at the wide strech of sea. He walked towards the high rocks and sat down on his usual spot. Weekdays meant less rush and more solitude. It was Roshni's favourite spot. He had spent numerous weekdays sitting there with her. Even when she was heavily pregnant with Arni, she had urged to climb on those high rocks. Arjun had put down his foot back then and Roshni had sulked to the moon and back. He smiled at the memory.

"Kya soch ke muskura rahe hai, Mr. Rawte?" Roshni's angelic voice reached his air.

He looked at her and smiled- "Tumhare hi baare me soch Raha tha. Remember, kitna sar khaya tha mera pregnancy ke time pe. I was so close to banging my head!"

Roshni- "Oh please! Aap toh aise bol rahe ho jaise aapne enjoy hi nahi kiya!"

Arjun shrugged- "Maybe kiya? You got so naughty back then."

Roshni- "Impact of your daughter!"

Arjun laughed. "Bohot badmaash hai woh, Rosh." 

After a while of mutual silence,

Arjun- "I failed her, Rosh! I failed her." A stray tear escaped his eye.

Roshni was silent. She didn't say anything and just looked at him, as if expecting him to say more.

Arjun continued- "6 saal, Roshni. 6 saal tak Maine usse aise treat kiya jaise mujhe usse koi fark hi nahi padta. I wanted her to not have any attachments with me but just one incident, that feeling of losing her! It changed everything. Every freaking thing!"

Roshni- "Do you love her, Arjun?" 

Arjun's conscience twisted at the question.He can't make himself ignore the question now. Not anymore. "I do. I love her so much.She's my Arni. My princess."

Roshni- "Toh usse kyun nahi batate?"

Arjun- "Nahi bata sakta, Roshni. I don't want any attachments!"

Roshni laughed- "Attachment toh ussi din ban Gaya tha Arjun, jis din aapne usse pehli baar apni god me uthaya tha. Yaad hai kaise usne apne chote chote haatho se aapki ungli pakdi thi? Apni badi badi aankhon se aapko dekhte hi rona band kar Diya tha? Woh ab bhi aapki wahi choti si Arni hai. Jaaiye...uska khayal rakhiye. Usse khoob saara pyaar kariye."

Arjun let each and every word seep in. It was his heart speaking against his brain in the form of Roshni. He poured out all his insecurities infront of his heart, his Roshni.

Arjun- "She has run wild for the last 6 years Roshni. I have let her run wild. I wasn't there for her! I am such a failure as a parent. Ab kis hak se usse daantu? Kis hak se usse saza du? Kis hak se usse sudharu? Jab in 6 saalo me nahi toh ab kaise? Do I even have any right on her now?"

Roshni just smiled. She didn't say anything. That was something even his heart knew but couldn't answer. His overthinking brain didn't allow Roshni to answer this question.

Arjun looked away- "Chup ho gayi tum! Humesha chup ho jaati ho jab mai tumse kuch puchta hu!"

Roshni laughed. Arjun looked at her. "Jaa Rahi ho?"

Roshni nodded- "Jaana toh padega na?"

Arjun tried to touch her face but she just vanished in thin air. That was his sign to leave as well. Every time, the talk with her soothed him but this time it left him more disturbed. His inner turmoils were hurting his head.

As he made his way towards his car, he got a call from Rathod.

Arjun- "Hello?"

Rathod- "Office pahucho Rawte. DIG Sir ko kuch important kaam hai."

Arjun- "I am on my way."

_______________________________________________________________________

A/N

Oh and tell me if you think Arjun has the right to correct Arni. I am as confused as Arjun🙄

Regards.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 19.2K 21
Riya and Kayish were madly in love, so deeply that everyone believed that they would end up in a happy married life. That's how much he loved her. He...
813K 29.1K 57
Happiness? Was a word that left Roohi Shekhawat's life long ago. She was the diamond nobody took notice of in the pile of coal. She shone brighter th...
10.2K 588 18
Can he get his son back?? Can his son love him??.. The son who was aready broken The son who hate "father" word.. Can he accepted his father Open t...
KHWAB By Ruchi

General Fiction

19.9K 2.3K 25
" Aksar khwab khuli aankhon se bhi dekhe jate hain"....... She had always dreamt of having a big family since she was a kid..... but never expressed...