Maybe, You Will See Me Now

By Mercy198

A successful career woman in her early thirties struggles to overcome the stigma of divorce and its associate... More

Hi🌻
Dedication
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
010
011
012
013
014
015
016
017
018
019
020
021
022
023
024
025
026
027
028
030
031
032
033
034
035

029

760 93 15
By Mercy198

"Argh!" Delight threw her phone on the long counter below the wide mirror attached to the wall. She slumped into one of the swivel chairs in front of the mirror. Her chest could be seen going up and down. She wore a frown and got lost in thoughts.

Her older sister who'd been busy getting ready to close down the saloon for the day noticed her tantrum.

"Delight, are you okay?" Maria asked and waited for a reply. When her younger sister said nothing, she approached her.

"Delight!" Maria shook her arm. "What is it?"

"I... It's Andrew. He's still not picking my calls. I don't understand. I've tried everything, everything to make him understand. But he refuses to give me a second chance. I mean, how can he forget me so easily? It doesn't make sense."

Maria folded her arms below her chest, looking away from her sister. "Hmm."

Delight wore a deeper frown the second she noticed the look on her older sister's face. "What is it?"

Maria shifted her gaze back on Delight. "I think he has another woman."

"What? No... he can't."

Maria narrowed her eyes. "Why not?"

Delight was silent. She simply stared at her sister, her frown slowly dissipating.

"Exactly." Maria added. "There's no reason why he wouldn't be with another woman."

After a while of processing what her sister said, Delight rested her elbows on her knees and buried her head in her palms. "This can't be happening. I really, really love Andrew. It's hard for me to let him go."

Maria began soothing her sister's back. "I understand. Once upon a time, I felt the same way with Kingsley."

Delight lifted her head. "I have to find out."

"What do you mean?"

She abruptly stood up from her seat forcing her older sister to take a quick step back.

"I have to find out who this woman is. What kind of person is she? What does she have that I don't? And how could she have made him forget me so easily."

Maria's frown appeared for a few seconds while she thought about her sister's words.

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

Delight nodded with reassurance. "I can't make a decision until I find this out."

Maria sighed, raising her hands in the air. "Okay. You helped me when I needed your help. I'll always be there to do the same for you, anytime."

Delight smiled. Somehow, she could taste victory already.

#

The lights in the living room were switched off and Ijeawele laid on the couch. Her eyes were glued to the display on the television. Anything to help her get her mind off her wandering thoughts. The light on her phone came on. She reached for it on the centre table and half sat up while she stared at the screen.

The sight of a text message from Andrew left her frozen for a short while. She debated on whether not to tap on it or not. Ijeawele was aware of how ridiculous her inability to face the dance head on might seem. But her fears were real. Very real. And she was having a hard time navigating against it. Her motto so far had always been to avoid anything that tampered with her stability. With Andrew, she just can't seem to avoid him.

Then she sat up straight, letting her legs touch the floor and unlocked the phone. She tapped on the message, finally succumbing to the pressure.

Can we talk? I'm outside your gate. I'll wait for you.

Ijeawele blinked several times at once. The text was quite unbelievable. I'm outside your gate. What did that mean? She lurked her eyes left and right. Could it have meant he was outside her gate right now?

A frown surfaced between her brows. But why would he do that? It seemed that no matter how she acted out, he wasn't willing to give up on her.

Ijeawele sprang up on her feet. Her phone in one hand, she paced back and forth twice before she stood still.

Why worry? You didn't ask him to come. A voice spoke to her in her head. He'll wait for a while and when she doesn't show up, he'll leave.

It seemed to do the trick as a moment of peace came upon her. Gently, she sat down once again and fixated her gaze on the television. This was one of her finest moments at attempting to not care. Hopefully, this would almost be one of the finest moments when she succeeds.

#

Gift walked into the living room of her home in her pajamas. She had just seen her children off to bed. She sat next to her husband. His eyes and attention were both directed at the news channel on the television.

She stole several looks at her husband, breaking her gaze at intervals from the television. Gift's sigh was light when she realised he wasn't taking any notice of her and might not till the end of the night.

"I spoke to Ijeawele." Finally, she spoke up.

He looked at her once without uttering a word.

Gift waited in hopes that he might say something. But he didn't.

"Ebenezer, aren't you worried about her?"

"I'm not worried about someone who doesn't worry about me."

"Oh, come on, you're acting like a child."

Ebenezer thrust his head in her direction and gave a cold glare.

She swallowed down and lowered her eyes, feeling the heat that she might have misspoken a bit.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it as an insult." Gift corrected, hoping it would brush the hurt off his ego.

His gaze softened a little and he shifted it back to the television.

She drew in a deep breath, hoping to do better with her words this time around.

"She doesn't talk about it but Ijeawele was really hurt by her divorce. I think you should soften a little when it comes to her."

"I know. I knew she would feel broken afterwards." He turned his head to her. "That's why I was against her divorce. 'Give him a second chance,' I told her." Ebenezer shook his head. "She wouldn't listen."

"He impregnated another woman who humiliated her by trying to drag her home with her. I think it was too much for her to bear."

Ebenezer sighed, drifting his gaze back to the television.

"I love my sister and I will always want the best for her. But, allowing Kingsley to marry that woman as a second wife wouldn't have been the end of the world. At least... it would have been better than whatever state she is in now."

Gift wasn't consciously aware that her brows had furrowed into a frown. Gradually, she released them while a thought crossed her mind.

"Ebe, do you think I would be okay with you taking a second wife?"

He steadily turned his head to his wife. Her expression had turned serious. Ebenezer hadn't expected that. In fact, the question had popped out of nowhere. The discussion was about Ijeawele and now, she was asking a question irrelevant to the case.

"You're being ridiculous." He turned his head away from her.

Gift kept staring at him. He hadn't answered her question and it bothered her.

"I love you, Ebe. It doesn't mean I can determine what actions I might take if you dare betray me."

A frown on his face, he looked in his wife's direction once more. They stared at each other a little longer.

Suddenly, Ebenezer stood on his feet. "I don't— I don't understand where this is coming from. Now you're doubting me?" He shook his head at her and walked off towards their bedroom.

Gift watched him disappear into the bedroom. She closed her eyes and wondered if she went too far. Some things were said and she felt the desire to know where he stood. She leaned back and rested her head. It started with her desire to help his case with his sister and now... Gift regretted asking that question.

There was a rumble in the cloud and Gift sat up. She walked to the window and felt the cold wind penetrate the net and overwhelm her. Gift brushed through her memory for any recollection of leaving any clothes out to dry. It would be a shame if the rain ends up ruining it. Thankfully, she was all set. She turned away, switched off the television and lights before walking into her bedroom.

#

Andrew has been walking from one end to the other just right beside the gate. He stopped as he felt the air get chillier. Even if his coming here was the stupidest thing to have done, he was determined not to leave. Not until they've spoken. His first idea wasn't to show up this way, at least not in the night. But Andrew couldn't relax. Thoughts of her flooded his head and the questions burned him for answers. Truthfully, he wanted nothing more than to get past this stage with her. And if she didn't see him the way he did with her, then it would be best she tells him on time.

He waited and waited, squatting for a few seconds whenever he felt the need to sit. The rain started with a few drizzles and when it became clear that a shower was well on its way, Andrew went under the zinc roof of a closed kiosk standing opposite of the building. He folded his arms across his chest in an attempt to withstand the cold he was starting to feel. His gaze steadied on the gate. Soon, a thought crossed his mind that she wasn't going to show up after all. The disappointment washed over him and he lowered his gaze from the gate. His hope was gradually slipping away.

The next time he lifted his eyes, Ijeawele was standing outside the gate with an umbrella over her head. She looked directly at him. Although surprised, he felt his spirit lifting up. Ijeawele hastened her steps towards him. Now, she was in front of him and they simply stared at each other without uttering a word. Andrew was grateful that she didn't shatter his hopes.

"What is wrong with you? Why are you still here, under this rain?" Ijeawele spoke up. Annoyance, worry and irritation all laced in her voice.

Andrew barely parted his lips in an attempt to speak. Then he tried again.

"I had to see you."

Ijeawele stared at him for some time before looking away only to return with a frown on her face.

"Why? It didn't have to be tonight. We work at the same company for goodness sake."

"Are you upset with me?" Andrew asked right away, his voice stronger than earlier.

She continued staring, then she lowered her eyes and lifted them a little later.

"Andrew, go home." Ijeawele turned away to leave. Andrew was quick to unfold his arms and reach out for her hand.

She looked at her hand in his and the rain pouring down on their union. She lifted her eyes and met his gaze.

"I know you know that I like you, very much. I can't sleep and I can't stop thinking about you because I worry that I might've done something one way or the other to upset you. Don't you think it's only fair that you give me the chance to explain or defend myself?"

Ijeawele didn't think and blurted out. "If I said I don't feel the same way about you, would you leave me alone?"

She couldn't help it and watched his eyes. From one orb to the other. She expected annoyance, anger but he remained calm. If anything, they seemed softer, almost heartbroken. And, it caused her to waver. She doubted herself and her actions.

"I saw something that altered a trust I was starting to develop... I'm having a hard time choosing between believing my eyes or trusting my heart."

Andrew brought her hand to his chest. He placed it on the left side of his chest and she felt his racing heartbeat against her hand. Her eyes widened a little in surprise.

"The last thing I'll ever do is hurt you."

Ijeawele searched in his eyes for any chance of scam. Instead, she felt secure. That was something she hasn't felt from another in a really long time. She liked the way he listened. Most of all, she liked that she saw truth in him. Somehow... that was becoming enough for her.

Thank you for your patience. Please comment or vote. I would like to know what your thoughts were.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

308K 42.7K 38
Genevieve Ukaji, a 37-year-old who never breaks the rules, finds herself facing unexpected consequences after a one-night stand with a younger man. ...
24.2K 3.5K 41
~~~~(Mature)~~~~ "We're worlds apart..." "But I'm right here." "I'm far, farrrrrrrrrr far beneath your class..." "And so? I don't care." He shrugged...
31.6K 7.3K 49
~~~ Teasers ~~~ "What are we going to do now?" Everyone turned towards her, the same fear that was in her eyes was also in theirs. "Who's going to d...
266K 25.4K 32
(Featured by wattpad)Highest ranking #4 in spiritual. Sold for nothing Sisi finds herself stuck in an abusive marriage to a man whose purpose is to b...