Beyond Our Arrangement

By praise_odu

One arrangement based on politics brings Faith and Raphel together. They live in a completely different world... More

Chapter One
Chapter two
Chapter Three

Chapter Four

6 3 0
By praise_odu

Rachel caressed Nora's shoulder in an attempt to help her stay calm. She was worried because Nora had been quite stiff for a while, just staring at her dad who laid on the bed. 

Finally, Nora made a sound by breathing hard. “So he's going to die?” 

Laura, the nurse who was taking care of Eric, glanced at Nora and sighed too. “As long as he receives the care he needs, he will be fine.”

“Be fine?” Weak, she turned to look at the nurse, tears already pouring down her face. “His kidney, liver, lungs, and heart are almost dead. And you think he'll be fine?”

“Miss Nora…” the nurse called in a soft tone. This had been the first time in a while since Nora had met a nice nurse. “I'm so sorry about this situation but I want you to be hopeful. If he does all the surgeries he needs, he might be as good as new. Although rare, we've had such a situation before. We can figure this out together.”

Nora turned to Eric and whimpered, “This is my fault. He shouldn't be going through all of these.”

“It's gonna be okay,” Rachel consoled. 

“We'll wait for your decision,” Laura said. 

Nora turned to her. “Start what needs to be done. ASAP. Just do it.”

“But the medical bills? He's still owing—” Laura was about to protest but thought to keep quiet. “O-Oh, sorry. I'll speak to the doctor immediately.”

Saying that, she left the room. 

Rachel sighed and took Nora's hand. “I can try to assist you with some cash but honestly, this would cost you so much.”

Nora stood up from the side of Eric's bed, still looking numb. She gulped and inhaled hard. “You won't have to. I'll be back.”

With that, she walked out of the room. She used the building's elevator to go to the first floor and with shaky legs, she headed to her car. She didn't know if she was alive but she knew she needed some alone time. 

Getting into her car, she stared at her steering wheel without paying attention to it and slowly, she started to sob. She put her hands over her mouth and like a maniac, she mumbled, “Why? Why me? What do I do? Oh Lord, please.” She yanked at her hair like she was running insane. “W-Where do I start from? Wh-What do I do? What?” 

Suddenly, she was quiet. She stared at nothing. As if something had just been ignited in her head, she gasped, and weirdly, she started laughing. She laughed so hard but did not stop weeping. 

She didn't know what was happening to her but she took her phone and dialed Ray Lorenzo's number. 

He did not pick up. 

Feeling more frustrated, she wanted to tossed her phone but that was when her phone rang. Ray was calling back. She immediately swiped her thumb across the phone's screen to answer his call. 

“Yes?” In a low, thick, and uninterested tone, Ray greeted. 

She took in a breath to stay calm so it would not be obvious that she had been crying. “Can I… meet you tomorrow? About the business contract.”

“On a Saturday?”

She nodded as if he was there with her. “Yes. If you don't mind.”

“I'll text you an address.”

“I'm in for that.”

“See you then.”

He just hung up. He really was mean. He didn't even care to ask what made her bring up the topic of the ‘business contract’. 

Embarrassed, she dropped her forehead against the steering wheel and kept crying. She knew Eric would never support the decision she was about to make, and she knew there was a chance Ray could assassinate her or kidnap her, but she cared less. Afterall, her life seemed over already.

***

Rachel sulked as she drove Nora into the parking lot of the place Ray had asked Nora to come to. 

“I know I said you should do this, but now I'm really worried,” Rachel stated.

Nora, feeling so weak and tired, said, “I don't care. I'd rather make a stupid decision to save my dad. Even if I do four jobs, I still wouldn't be able to pay for his emergency surgeries.”

“Don't you want to rethink this?” Rachel fixed her gaze on Nora when she put the car in park. “I just thought about the fact that he chose you. A whole wealthy Ray? Why you?”

“I'll be fine.” Nora took off her seat belt and opened the car's door to step out. “See you later.”

“I'll wait here. Just in case,” Rachel notified her. 

She nodded and just walked into the building. It did not take her so long to find Ray's condo. Before ringing the doorbell, she sighed hard. This was the moment of truth. Now she would know if she was about to be killed. 

The door opened in no time and there he was. Standing in front of the door with wet hair. For the first time, he wasn't dressed in a formal suit. He was in sweats and a shirt. She didn't know he was this muscular. He cleared his throat and took a step backwards. “Come in,” he prompted. 

Skeptical, she walked in and followed his lead. He asked that she sat on one of the high stools beside his kitchen counter and he sat by the other side so they faced each other.

“Are you agreeing to this?” He did not think twice before asking. 

“Why me?” She started to feel nervous. 

He was quiet for a while, then started, “I don't know. I really don't. I need to be a married man in two weeks and if Diana isn't ready, then what can I do?”

“So you're wealthy but don't have anyone in your life?” She snorted, and muttered, “What a joke.”

“Will you do it or not?” He knew he needed her to accept this but he did not like her attitude. 

She inhaled, shut her eyes to build up some courage so she wouldn't get emotional, then responded in a low tone. “Yes.” 

He let out a throaty laugh and stood. ”You want a drink?”

Oh, so he thought this was a good time to have a drink? Was he planning to poison or drug her? What did he take her for? Of course, he had no emotions. 

Those were all she could think of. 

“No.” She clicked her tongue in annoyance. 

He walked over to the bar that stood by the corner of the large room. He grabbed two glasses and a bottle,cand walked back to her. 

He dropped a glass in front of her. “In case you change your mind. And just so you know, it's non-alcoholic wine.”

“I won't.”

He poured himself a drink and before sitting, he pulled out a paper from his pocket. “Here. That's the contract. Read it and let me know if you have any questions. I'll phone  my lawyer if you're willing to sign it now.”

“Now?” She gave him a questioning look. 

“Mhm-hm.” He nodded. 

She wanted to protest but then she realized that she would have to it anyway and could probably start as soon as she could. 

Doubtful and being careful, she took the paper and opened it gently. “Okay.”

“There isn't a bomb in there, I promise,” he remarked.  

She started to go through it and although this was an awkward moment for them, Ray made it more awkward by just crossing his arms and not taking his gaze off her. 

She felt very weird so she decided to comprehensively gaze at the paper.

***

It had been two hours already and Nora had just made the quickest, most ridiculous, and most irrational decision of her life. She had signed the contract. 

She sat on the three seater couch in Ray's living room and waited for him to end his conversation with the lawyer. As soon as he was done, he sighed hard and turned around to walk to her. 

He sat on the couch opposite her, and they just stared. 

“Does that not make you uncomfortable?” She asked. 

He raise his eyebrows. “Hm?”

“Why… do you stare so much?”

He shrugged. “Does it make you feel weird?” 

She resisted the urge to roll her eyes and just stood up. 

“Leaving?” He asked. 

She grabbed her purse from the center table and nodded. “Yes.”

“I can—”

“No, I'm good,” She retorted, knowing that he wanted to offer to drop her home. “I really am. I'm not moving in until two weeks from now. Let's assume we aren't in this fake marriage yet.”

He stood up, smiling weirdly. Of course, that made her feel uncomfortable. He walked slowly towards her and crossed his arms when he overshadowed her 5”9 self. 

“Whatever.” Without permission, he reached for her hand, and that made her gasp, but he ignored her. He sniggered. “Congrats on our marriage, wife. Welcome to the Lorenzo family.”

“Excuse—” 

He cut her off by pecking her on the back of her hand. 

“Wow!”

They both pulled away from each other, turned around, and shook when they heard that sound from behind. 

It was Diana. She was smirking, and suddenly, she started clapping. “Good job, guys. Congrats.” 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

582K 48.6K 23
Indian Chronicles Book III My Husband, My Tyrant. When Peace Becomes Suffocation. Jahnvi Khanna has everything in her life, a supporting family, a hi...
861K 71.7K 34
"Excuse me!! How dare you to talk to me like this?? Do you know who I am?" He roared at Vanika in loud voice pointing his index finger towards her. "...
3.1M 70.1K 81
Diana is an 18 year old girl about to start her senior year until she bumps into a woman at the bookstore who has quite the personality. The woman ta...
924K 55.1K 49
๐ˆ๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐“๐š๐ง๐ ๐ฅ๐ž๐ ๐ฐ๐ž๐›๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐‡๐ž๐š๐ซ๐ญ๐ฌ, ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ข๐ญ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐“๐ซ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ก๐ฌ, ๐‹๐จ๐ฏ๐ž ๐ฐ๐ž๐š๐ฏ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ข๐ญ๐ฌ ๐ฆ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฆ๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐ณ๐ข๐ง๐  ๏ฟฝ...