"That's Business, Kid"

By izzygetsbored

An in-depth dive into a businessman's backstory. _ An AU where Luxy is Bryce and Bobby's son. More

Author's Note
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
Epilogue

10

17 0 0
By izzygetsbored

Summary:

A reunion doesn't go as planned.

But nothing is stronger than a mother's love for her son.

Note:

This continues right where the last chapter left off.

---

Bobby gave Luxy's shoulder a comforting squeeze before moving towards the bleeding body on the floor. "Come on, Donovan. Let's burn this fucker in a dumpster."

"Bobby, wait–"

The terrorist shot his wife a stern look, which wasn't something he normally did.

"Bryce, I love you, but for fuck's sake, woman! Just talk to him!"

Donovan pulled out a body bag from inside his suit jacket, and together, he and Bobby stuffed the dead man inside and proceeded to leave Luxy and Bryce alone in the CEO's office. The moment the door closed behind them, the mother and son were left in uncomfortable silence. Bryce nervously bit the inside of her cheek before finally speaking up again.

"You've grown so much since the last time I saw you."

"Uh, yeah. It's called aging, Ma." Luxy rolled his eyes as his tone dripped with sarcasm. Bryce frowned.

"Y-yes, I know but–"

"Oh just cut to the chase already!" Luxy suddenly snapped, glaring at the woman who had birthed him. "I've waited long enough for this moment, alright? So out with it, mother."

The CEO nodded solemnly as a shaky breath escaped her lips, but before she could utter her apology, she's interrupted by a knock at the door and the voice of one of her younger assistants.

"Herman, this really isn't the time..."

The door opened regardless as the short-haired assistant held up Bryce's phone. "But ma'am, the caller says it's urgent."

Luxy saw the conflicted look on his mother's face and decided to save her from making the tough decision.

"Just take the call, Ma."

"Luxy, no, I'm sure it can–"

"It can't wait, ma'am," Herman butted in as he entered the CEO's office. Once at her desk, he handed Bryce her phone along with a sparkling glass of champagne. Bryce couldn't remember asking for a drink, but Herman was already out the door before she could question him about it. Sighing, she downed the drink in one swig before turning her back to Luxy as she put the phone to her ear.

"You have five minutes to speak, and if you're only going to waste my time, I suggest you end this call now before I do it myself," She threatened in a low voice.

"Oh, believe me, Ms. Tankthrust, the only thing ending here soon will be your reign once I get rid of you." The caller chuckled condescendingly, which only managed to make Bryce's blood boil as her grip on her phone tightened.

"Listen here, dipshit, I've survived hundreds of assassination attempts in the last four years of my life and, guess what? Not a single one has even come close to actually succeeding," Bryce boasted proudly. "So, what makes you think you're capable of doing the impossible?"

"Ah, you're right. So silly of me to assume I could ever manage to topple the mighty Bryce Tankthrust."

"You got that right, stupid."

"Mhmm, yes. Just... answer me this, Bryce. How'd you like your drink?"

"My dri–" Bryce's stomach dropped as her gaze landed on the now empty champagne glass sitting tauntingly at her desk.

"I'm sure you're well aware of the effects of potassium chloride, yes?"

Bryce let out a quiet gasp as she's hit with a wave of nausea. She screwed her eyes shut and waited for it to subside before stealing a quick glance towards her son.

"As a gas, it can be very deadly indeed. But as a liquid? Well, you'll find out soon enough."

Luxy had his back turned to her as he silently judged a wall displaying all of Bryce's achievements. Tears began to well up in the CEO's eyes.

"Any last words, Ms. Tankthrust?"

"Go... to... Hell." Bryce uttered through gritted teeth as she began to feel an incessant pain in her chest.

The mysterious caller cackled maniacally.

"In that case, I'll see you there!"

Blinded by rage, Bryce let out a frustrated cry as she threw the empty champagne glass across the room, watching it shatter into tiny pieces as it hit the wall. Spooked by the sound, Luxy whipped his head around to see what was going on.

"Ma, the fuck are you–..." The glare on his face disappeared, replaced by a look of worry as he watched his mother writhe in pain at the foot of her desk. "W-what's wrong?"

Despite clearly being in pain, the CEO managed to muster up a tearful smile as she met Luxy's worried gaze.

"Sweetheart... do Momma a favor and– agh, go get your father for me, please?"

"What, and leave you here all by yourself? Fat chance."

If Luxy's response wasn't a shock enough, the salesman had even gone down to kneel beside her and gather her up in his arms so she wasn't laying on the uncomfortable carpeted floor of her office.

"I've seen dad help you through this before."

"Sweetheart, I appreciate you trying to help, but this is– gah, fuck, this is different."

"What do you mean it's different?" Luxy eyes filled with panic. "Ma, seriously, what's–"

A hand came up to rest against the salesman's cheek.

"I'm sorry," Bryce apologized tearfully. "I'm sorry for abandoning you, and for being a terrible mother, and for ever making you feel like you weren't enough."

Luxy hadn't even realized he was crying until Bryce gently wiped away a few of his tears with her thumb.

After so many years of waiting, his mother finally said the words he'd been longing to hear from her since he was a child.

"Momma is so so proud of you, Luxyboo."

"Stop– stop talking like that!" Luxy pleaded, his hands shakily pulling out his phone as he sent a quick text to his father. "Dad and Donovan will be here soon and– and you'll be alright once we get you to a hospital!"

All Bryce could do was weakly hum in response, unable to open her eyes anymore. Luxy brought his hand up to rest over the one she had against his cheek.

"Please, please... Don't leave me. Not again."

Bryce opened her mouth to speak, but all that came out was a silent exhale.

And then her chest stopped moving.

"No, please..."

Her hand on Luxy's cheek went limp.

"Ma, c'mon! This isn't fair!"

One single heartbeat remained, and it belonged to Luxy. His broken cries echoed in the CEO's office as he cradled his mother closer to his chest, refusing to accept that she may truly be gone.

The doors suddenly burst open as Bobby and Donovan came rushing in. They froze at the sight of their lover/best friend, unmoving and lifeless in the hold of her crying son.

"Luxy, what happened..." Bobby's voice came out low and serious as he kneeled down next to him.

"I-I don't know," Luxy stuttered, sniffling as he tried to recall the last few minutes. "She was fine just after you left! But then she had to take a call a-a-and she was handed some kind of beverage by one of her assistants?"

Donovan was quick to scan the floor littered with shattered glass. In a matter of seconds, he was able to pick up traces of a substance it previously contained and managed to identify what it was.

"Bryce didn't suffer from a cardiac arrest, Bobby. She's been poisoned."

"Fuck, okay, we need to bring her to a hospital."

Luxy frowned as he met his father's gaze. "But– but her heart stopped beating. She's–... She's already dead, dad."

The terrorist offered his son a weak smile. "Our family is far from being normal, bud. Don't think some stupid poison can get rid of your mother that easily. It's certainly a first, yeah, but Bryce is stubborn. She'd probably beat the shit outa Death if he dared taking her away from you."

That instantly eased Luxy's worries. "Shit, okay, what are we waiting for then?"

"Right. Donovan, activate the Beyoncé."

"Sorry, activate the who now??"

Bryce had been rushed to the ER the moment they arrived at the hospital. The trio waited for hours in anxious silence as the doctors tried their very best to revive the wealthy woman. It was half past midnight when a nurse finally came to them with news of Bryce.

"So sorry for the long wait, boys, but I'm happy to inform you that Ms. Tankthrust is now in stable condition. Our doctors were able to remove most of the poison out of her system and get her heart pumping again, but she might be out for a while."

"Can we go see her, though?" Luxy was quick to ask.

"Of course. Follow me, gentlemen."

The three were led to a spacious room on the third floor, where Bryce lay unconscious on a bed hooked up to an IV and a heart monitor. They had gotten her out of her usual clothes, leaving her in a simple blue hospital gown. Bobby rushed to his wife's side the second he stepped into the room.

Relief washed over the salesman as he heard the steady beeping of the heart monitor filling the room. It meant his mother was okay. It meant she was alive. His years of loathing for the woman vanished almost immediately the moment he saw her hurt, remembering so vividly how things ended when he first witnessed the similar scenario happen back when he was still a child. He was so scared of losing his mother all over again. He was even more terrified of the prospect of losing her for good when he'd just gotten her back. It just proved that he still cared for her, and no amount of built up hatred could ever change the fact that he still loves his Momma.

"God, you never cease to amaze me, woman," Bobby chuckled softly with a fond shake of his head. He leaned down to press a light kiss to his partner's forehead before turning back to look at his son and robo-bestie. "I dunno about you, but I'm starving."

As if on cue, Luxy's stomach let out a loud growl. "Seems you're not the only one, Pops. Donovan?"

"...I don't eat."

"Oh shit, yeah. Keep forgetting you're not human."

Donovan smiled. "I'll take that as a compliment. Now, anything I can get you two from the vending machine down the hall?"

Five minutes later, the father and son duo could be seen snacking on a couple of packets of Cheetos and M&Ms while sitting criss-crossed on the sofa by Bryce's bed, occasionally reaching out to take a Cheeto or M&M from the other. Donovan sat on a chair by the door, keeping guard just in case anything happened.

"Think you could trace the caller from Bryce's phone, Donovan?" Bobby asked as he finished his third packet of Cheetos. "Whoever that was clearly needs a reminder why they shouldn't try fucking with my wife."

"Already on it, B."

Luxy furrowed his brows. "What about the assistant who gave Ma the drink? For all we know, he could've been working for the caller this whole time."

Bobby nodded with a hum. "Luxy's right. Schedule an emergency meeting with all of Bryce's employees, Donovan. Anyone caught working for that fucker will be fired immediately and burned alive in a dumpster fire."

Despite how brutal and merciless his father's method of punishment was, Luxy couldn't help but crack a small smile at the way his father instantly took charge. His mother had always been the one to call the shots and boss people around ever since day one. His father, on the other hand, was only there to make sure everyone listened to her. Funny how the world's most feared terrorist was the sweetest and most loyal person ever to America's worst, former president. Luxy honestly wasn't sure how he'd ever live up to be as famous and prominent as his parents.

"Mind staying here with your mom while Donovan and I handle things back at the company?"

"Yeah sure, Pops. Got nothin' planned for today, anyway," Luxy replied, pulling out his phone to briefly check for any notifications. He only had an unread message from Timmy from four hours ago that he forgot to open. It just said that he was excited to hangout with him and Sam again this weekend. It warmed Luxy's heart to see how well the kids got along with his beloved partner.

"Alright, we'll be back as soon as we can. See you later, bud. Text me if your mother wakes up."

"'Course, see ya."

With nothing else to do and having no one in the room to currently talk to, Luxy stretched out onto the sofa and slowly drifted off to sleep.

At about half-past four, Bryce finally began to stir awake. She let out a small groan once she managed to pry her eyes open, hating the bright white walls and blinding light inside of the room she found herself in.

"Where the fuck...?" She uttered raspily, attempting to push herself up.

"Whoa whoa, hey, take it easy there, Ma."

Bryce grunted as she fell back onto her bed, letting out an exhausted sigh despite having barely exerted any energy. Luxy snorted and walked over to his mom's bedside, pushing a button so that she wasn't lying flat on her back, but was still partly reclined.

"Better?"

The CEO hummed in satisfaction, smiling up at her son gratefully.

"Thank you, sweetheart."

"It's no problem." The salesman replied casually as he pulled up a plastic chair so he could sit by his mother's bed. "How are you feeling, by the way?"

"Like a freakin' badass who just survived another assassination attempt on her life, ha!"

Luxy rolled his eyes fondly. "There really is nothing that could kill you, huh?"

"Maybe not through physical means..." Bryce trailed off, turning her head to look at the heart monitor. "You and your father are the most important people in my life, Luxy. If I were to lose either of you..."

A warm hand rested above Bryce's own.

"I'm not going anywhere, Momma," Luxy assured with a soft smile.

The mother and son pulled each other in for a long overdue embrace, the two soaking in one another's warmth and the feeling of finally being in the other's arms again.

Basked in comfortable silence, two heartbeats filled the room.

And for just the briefest of moments, it sounded like they were beating as one.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.4K 755 89
honestly just read the story. kinda bad at descriptions COMPLETED.
239K 3.1K 42
Just read t plz!! My first one kind of regretting it as writing this description. I'll try to post as much as possible because I have school stuff to...
48K 1.3K 15
in which a boy and girl face troubles with an anonymous person who knows too much [modern au]
33.2K 441 42
this is a sequel go read my first to know what happening