Renewed Passion (Completed)

By writerlove03

One fateful night that is all it takes. Icy roads and a blown tire causing events to tear down the happiness... More

Disclaimer & Author Notes
Prologue
1. Is A Part
2. Winning Champ
3. Flip The Buns
4. Milkshake Machine
5. Invisible Ghost
6. The Stove
7. Weclome To
8. Days
9. The Park
10. Wedding
11. Phone Buzzes
12. Changed
13. Beyond Happy
14. Caramel
15. Socks
16. Bicycles
17. Toy Trucks
18. Just Pout
19. Bobble Head
20. Children
21. Milliseconds
22. Tantrum
23. Witty Remarks
24. Memories
25. Dinner
26. Flying Ball
27. Like Old Times
28. Popcorn
29. Company
30. Loose You Again
31. Broken
32. A Stud
33. The Walk
34. Brightens
35. Make Food
36. Tenderly
37. Joys Of Vacation
38. Lunch
39. Handmade
40. Mini
41. Rolly Bolly
42. Disco Ball
43. Tap On The Window
44. Giant Animal
45. Back
46. Raccoon
47. Toy Ring
48. A Cape
49. Very Prestine
51. Heart Patters
52. Other Than
53. Cake
54. Computer
55. Old Oak
56. Something Blue
57. Pineapple Milkshake
58. Epic
59. Bride
60. Years
61. Unhealthy Foods
Epilogue

50. Humorless Laugh

108 15 8
By writerlove03

"How could you?" I seethe into the phone.

'Kaira.' Mom sighs. 'He wanted to see Josh and you.'

"But yet you wouldn't tell Erik where I was for years?" I could scream.

She refused to tell Erik that I was here but now all of a sudden gives it to my father.

'A major mistake that I will never forgive myself for doing. Dylan is the love of my life and he has been here back and forth for a bit now. When he asked where you both lived I gave him the addresses that way he could meet you.'

"Why didn't you tell Josh and me?"

"Kaira." Erik rubs my back and I turn seeing the front door open with Dylan right there on the porch.

"I will call you later." I state and hang up the phone. Placing my phone back on the table, I march over to the door. "So where have you been the last twenty-seven years?"

"With my ex-wife for most of that time." Dylan states.

"Did you do her like you done Mom?"

"No. She done it to me, she left."

I let out a humorless laugh. "Doesn't feel good does it? Since you know how my Mom has felt."

"I will never forgive myself for abandoning Josh and you."

I stare at him. "Do you know it broke my mom? It left her a shell of herself for years. Something Josh and I had to endure. I grew up with a part time mom, all because you left for your ex-wife."

"Kaira, I am so so..."

"Mom even lied to me after a accident to where the love of my life was gone for a decade because she said there was no such thing as high school love and such."

I walk back to the table and pick my phone up. The tone dials before it is picked up.

"I need you to come over here to my house please. It is urgent." I hang up and place the phone back down.

I stare at Dylan and wait as the minutes tick by. Erik rubs my back but doesn't say anything. A truck pulls up and I see as Josh steps out coming up the steps of the porch quickly only to stop and do a double take.

"Dad?"

"Where the hell have you been?" Josh gapes. "Never-mind doesn't even matter." He waves his hand. "What are you doing here now?"

"I wanted to see how you two were and grown up."

"Why now though?" Josh shakes his head.

Dylan sighs. "Cancer."

"Huh?" Josh and I speak at the same time.

"I have cancer."

"How cliche. You get a life changing diagnosis so you come to right the wrongs." Josh sighs as Dylan nods.

"My ex-wife left and divorced me the day I got the diagnosis. She was telling me she would before it though because I started talking about you both. I never wanted to leave your mother."

"Why did you then? Because as it stands, she barely raised us and had us in daycare centers because she became more involved with her work. Or like how Mom couldn't become a nurse so she tried to push Kaira in that direction to do."

"There are things you don't know and I just want to explain." Dylan looks between us with tears in his eyes.

"Explain." I shrug.

"Could I come in?" Dylan looks to me and I move from the doorway.

They come in and Erik sits next to me on the couch while Josh leans on the wall by the couch and Dylan takes the chair.

He sighs then looks between us. "I love your mother so very much. After you were born she had changed and I couldn't take it anymore. Actually, I had remarried finding love again to which I had informed your mother. She just insulted and so I took it to court because I wanted custody of the both of you."

"She never told us." Josh points out and I look over at him before looking to Dylan once more.

"I figured as much." He sighs. "During that period I couldn't see the woman I loved there but recently have seen her come back after years. I would constantly message her and ask how you both were doing and she would send pictures and inform me of everything."

"Why didn't you get custody of us?" I ask finally.

"The court didn't see my job as fit as I was a travel agent for insurance. So being gone a lot my ex-wife was too, it was deemed as unfit with being on the road so much you wouldn't have had a stable enough life for school."

I slowly nod as things are being said.

"I didn't know about post partum back in those days. That is what changed your mom and if I had known I would have never left her. Never. I would have took her to a doctor and gotten her help. It wasn't until she went to a doctor several years ago and was helped for depression, and every since then I have seen her come back to herself."

I nod. "I had noticed a change in mom a couple years ago." Granted it has been a slow change but still one nonetheless.

Josh nods and so does Dylan.

The front door opens and in walks Kate and Samuel. "Mama I am." Samuel stops and waves. "Hi."

I get up from the couch and walk over, kissing the top of his head. "How was your day?"

"So much fun!" He smiles up at me.

"Sorry I didn't realize you had a guest." Kate whispers.

"It is fine." I give her a tight smile. "Explain it later." She nods and bids a bye before leaving.

"Samuel this is Dylan, your grandfather." I turn and Dylan gets up from the chair.

Dylan tears up and kneels down some to Samuel's level. "It is so good to meet you."

I explain a little to Samuel and he smiles before shrugging. "It is always great to have more family."

I laugh and kiss the top of my sons head once more. "Go wash up, we are going out for dinner tonight because I am not cooking."

Samuel smiles and dashes to his room to change clothes since his current ones have some dirt on his pants.

Why can't we all but so none worrying as a child can be or so forgiving like them? Maybe I should take a page from my son and just shrug it off and see how things turn out. Let the anger go as right now my life was on the blissful path to being married to the love of my life.

"Come to dinner with us?" I offer Dylan and Josh gives a soft smile behind him. "You too."

"Really?" Dylan looks to me and I nod then look to Erik and smile before returning my eyes back to Dylan. "I don't understand the complete reasoning behind the past with you and Mom but that is yours and hers business the most. I am going to take a page from my son and shrug, give a fresh slate while agreeing more family doesn't hurt. All I can say though, is if you leave again then just stay gone."

Dylan laughs lightly. "Fair enough but this time I am not walking out."

"Okay then. In that case, we should get to know each other as I have no clue what my father is actually like since I don't remember much." Josh pats Dylan's back and we all make it out to our own vehicles.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110K 5.1K 52
Book 3 of 3 Highly recommend you read books 1 and 2 first. Mel just moved back to New York City. She left four years ago after the love of her life...
161K 5.6K 60
When McKenna envisioned her wedding day, it was hearts, flowers and pure bliss. And definitely NOT THIS. Now she's a walking marshmallow escaping the...
118K 3K 65
(Complete) Charlie's life is slowly spiraling out of control. Her mother is useless, her relationship with her boyfriend Gavin is a train wreck and t...
2.1K 122 25
This is a collection of short stories, regarding any and all subjects, updated regularly. Feel free to read and give your opinion on them! Cover by _...