Death's Dance

By ArabellaMurklins

This is the work in progress version of my first book that I plan on publishing. This is only the first book... More

Chapter 1: I'm Alive
Chapter 2: Something's in the Woods
Chapter 3: The Prince's Palace
Chapter 4: Dinner At The Palace
Chapter 5: Breakfast in Bed
Chapter 6: The White Woods
Chapter 7: New Faces
Chapter 8: From Different Worlds
Chapter 9: And You Are?
Chapter 10: It Follows Us All
Chapter 11: It's Official
Chapter 12: Gone But Not Forgotten
Chapter 13: She Knows
Chapter 14: Something Old
Chapter 16: In the Silence
Chapter 17: Between Us
Chapter 18: To New Beginnings

Chapter 15: The Solstice Ball

0 0 0
By ArabellaMurklins

The line began to move. One by one each Lady is announced, descends the stairs into the ball room, and is asked the first dance. When it is my turn only Drazhan is waiting at the bottom.

"Crown Queen of Sylvain."

Everyone's eyes turn up to me. I know that Drazhan is waiting for Kallistê. He might be polite and ask me to dance the first dance with him, but I cannot take that away from her.

I walk down the stairs as slowly as possible and scan the room looking for someone within a partner to no avail.

Why me? Why now? Laurent thank goodness.

Laurent had left Nesta and pushed through the crowd.

"May I have this dance?"

"Yes, you may."

We take a few steps back and watch Kallistê descend. Once she and Drazhan take their place in the center of the Ballroom the music starts to play, and everyone begins to dance.

"Thank you."

"Father didn't want me to wait for you at first, but once he saw that Drazhan would be the only one left he sent me."

"Well then, send your father my thanks as well."

"He will likely want a dance with you, so you may thank him yourself."

"Oh?!"

"Father would have spoken to you before, but he was preoccupied."

Laurent spins me out and pulls me back in.

"Your wearing your colors I see. They suit you well."

"Quite the Mensch today."

He only smirks and shakes his head.

"I believe that Nesta was trying to tell me something earlier. Do you know what that might be?"

"No, I'm sorry I have no clue. Perhaps Kallistê knows, but good luck talking to her tonight."

"Well, I will just have to try and ask Nesta herself then."

"You might not get a chance. With all the dances and excitement she will probably have gone to sleep before you get a chance to ask her."

"Then, I shall just ask her tomorrow."

"You'll have even less time after tonight."

"Why?"

"The wedding will be announced. Preparations for the wedding will begin."

"And I will be included?"

"You will be family. Not to mention all the women contribute."

"All the women?"

"Yes, maids and all. They take turns doing their normal work and preparing for the wedding."

"I feel bad. Two weddings in a row."

"Why it is their job? Would you like something to drink? I'm parched."

Laurent leaves before I can give my answer. Before he returns someone taps me on the shoulder. I spin around to find Octavian.

"May I have this dance?"

"You may."

"I thank you for wearing your own colors."

"I should be thanking you for paying for them. And for allowing Laurent for saving me."

"You were willing to marry Laurent. With your union you will pay me back tenfold, I'm sure."

Octavian uses the same tactic as his son to change the subject.

"Order as many clothes and jewels as you want, don't worry about the cost. Just don't wear anything but your colors, for now."

"Thank you, but I'm not sure how-"

"-like I said, don't worry about the money you will repay me tenfold."

"I also owe money to Lilith. And I have no income."

"After Kallistê's wedding you will accompany us to Wylan court. Then, you will repay me."

He spins me again, this time he disappears into the crowd, and I am spun back into Laurent. Who hands me a glass of something clear and sparkly.

"I see my father found you."

"Yes, he did. He said that I would repay my debt tenfold."

"And you will. Unless you no longer wish to marry me."

"Is that what he meant? Marrying you is how I will repay my debt."

"You could say that."

"I have limitless funds and I will repay them tenfold by marrying you. Should I reconsider?"

"Ouch."

"You know what I mean."

"I believe that Father is referring to," he leans in and lowers his volume to a whisper,"what comes from being married."

"I see."

I turn away and take several long sips to hide my embarrassment.

I should have known. Heirs. Every woman's primary duty. But why me? Is there no other previously promised to Laurent? I cannot provide anything other than heirs, and that is assuming I can even do that.

It is because I am all alone isn't it. That has to be why I can't think of any other possible reason. Wait that explains why they excepted but it doesn't explain-

"Hello, you two. Enjoying the festivities I hope," Xyla greats us.

"Yes, very much so. I believe that this is the best Solstice Ball so far."

"Well, it is my only son's engagement party."

Only son? What about Malach?

"I don't know if my family will be able to outdo this for me."

"Knowing your mother I am sure your party will be even more extravagant. I will take my leave now please enjoy yourselves."

Laurent takes my glass. He sets both of ours  down on the table.

"I'm glad you like it, but you shouldn't drink so much."

Taking my hand he pulls me back onto the floor and into a dance.

"You have been to other Solstice Balls here."

"I have been coming here during the harvest and winter seasons with my sister every other year since I was no older than Nesta. Other than during the war that is."

"Yes, of course."

"I'm tired of dancing let's get some air."

Laurent just walks straight across the floor without regard for everyone else still dancing.

I follow after him, but not wanting to draw attention to myself have to walk slowly and take the long way.

Outside the cold, night air is still, nevertheless, it nips at my exposed skin combined with the slight burning sensation in my lungs only adds to the exhilarating, whirlwind night.

It doesn't take long to find Laurent leaning on the railing of a gazebo. His head hangs low and his breathing is slow and deep. I don't move or speak until he raises his head and wipes his face.

"Are you alright, Laurent?"

"I will be. The cold air feels good doesn't it."

"Yes, the air and the stars are good for the soul."

"I hadn't even noticed them."

We walk through the grounds not wanting to go back into the party. I don't know what made Laurent need some air, but I know that I would not want to be asked if it were me that needed air; I also know that I would not want to be alone.

We wandered into the glass house to escape the increasingly cold weather. It was warmer inside that I had expected. The very shallow layer of water on the ground just begged to be thrown around. Laurent seemed to have the same feeling.

"May I have this dance?"

"Oh, I don't know you see there are so many others who might want a dance? I suppose I could make an exception."

The glass house was too far away to hear any music, but it didn't matter to us. I was just happy Laurent was feeling more like himself. Far away from judging eyes we could have fun. Dancing without form or music, genuinely smiling, and laughing without restraint. I was free and happy; we both were.

Soon flurries of snow began to fall from the sky like millions of falling stars. We watched them fall and caught them on our tongues. All too soon the attendees begin to make their way outside to watch the first snow fall.

Laurent gestures back toward the palace, but we don't go back to the ballroom. Instead he leads me to a door covered in silver ivy. I would not have known it was there it was that covered in ivy.

It is another opening to the hidden passages.

We ascend the spiral staircase and exit into the old library. Where Laurent proceeds to draw back the curtains of one of the windows. We peer out together just in time for a stream of light to fly up like reverse lightning. Then, there is a muffled bang and the last of the streak turns into colorful stars. Again and again this occurs until till it stops and silence falls once again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

172K 9K 23
****book two of Savage MC series***** "Go on sweetie, blow out the candles and make a wish. Now don't tell anyone or it won't come true" "I wont, I p...
9.9K 318 60
A family, full of deceitful maniacs... A kingdom ruled by tyranny, yet the people aren't aware... A story full of lies and deceit, woven to manipulat...
36 0 1
Princess. All my life, I have been waiting to become Queen, to finally be entitled to the throne. Having sleepless nights, studying hard, practicing...
4.1M 132K 41
I flinch as his hand reaches to my face, and aggressively pulls down the cloak from my head. He surveys my tear stained face and jewelry all the way...