The Runaway Sister

Od EvaWerner22

standalone ~ mafia siblings series "You can't make me stay here! I will get an emancipation." I yell. Flashba... Více

character list
one | not so forgotten
two | smart-mouthed sister
three | charming reunion
four | logan & luke
five | failed attempt
six | confessions
thank you!
seven | a saint and a boy
eight | mafia friends
nine | dating and marriage
ten | warren's gift
eleven | movie morning
twelve | italian dinner
new book!!!
thirteen | crimson red dress
fifteen | unexpected visitors
sixteen | snow-covered fields
mafia siblings series
seventeen | oh gosh-
10k?!?!?!?
eighteen | holly & jolly
nineteen | sunny beaches
twenty | house of criminals
twenty-one | two girls
twenty-two | marry him!
twenty-three | dance, love
twenty-four | chaos
twenty-five | a dull cell
twenty-six | a boy's plea
twenty-seven | betrayal
twenty-eight | italian snow
twenty-nine | far gone
thirty | warm embrace
thirty-one | inside injuries
thirty-two | sweet 16
thirty-three | who's harry?
thirty-four | ignorant bliss

fourteen | trapped in a bed

1.6K 41 1
Od EvaWerner22

The young woman who stands in front of me blinks in surprise. She's wearing a black dress that stops in the middle of her calves. Her long brown hair is put up into a low ponytail. Her pink lips are slightly parted in shock. 

"Evelyn, meet Aurora. She's just started working for our business. But her father was a good soldier," Sullivan says, a solemn tone taking his lighter one upon mentioning her father. 

Oh. 

So she's an orphan, too. 

Maybe that's why we saw each other in the office that day, four years ago. She must have been sixteen back then, when I was eleven. 

Aurora's concerned expression is washed away. She smiles at me. "Good morning, Evelyn." 

"Good morning," I answer. 

Alexander's phone pings. He quickly takes it out, his gaze narrowing on the screen. "Sullivan." He says. The two disappear immediately. 

Aurora turns her attention back to me. "Do you want anything to eat? You haven't had a proper meal in two days." 

I shrug. Is she not going to mention that day in the social workers's office? Maybe she doesn't recognize me—but I look similar to how I looked back then. 

"I'm not hungry." And it's true. I feel more nauseous than anything. Aurora doesn't seem to be fazed by my unwillingness to eat. 

"I'll get you some yogurt and fruit. Alright?" I can barely nod. I feel tired suddenly. My eyelids droop down. My leg is aching. 

I don't notice when Aurora leaves, but I definitely know when she comes back. She opens the blinds fully, letting light stream into my bedroom. 

At the edge of the bed, she set a wooden tray with a bowl filled of food and a glass of orange juice. 

Aurora walks towards me, and uses one hand to keep my back tilted forward while she adjusts my pillows. 

When I'm finally leaned upright and against pillows, she places the tray on my lap. The bowl has strawberry yogurt, granola, berries and honey. 

I stare at it grimly. 

I just want to be able to move. I want to get out of this bed. 

"Aren't you going to eat? I imagine you must be starving by now..." She trails off, raising an eyebrow at me. 

"I'm really not too hungry. Thank you, though," I smile. She still seems concerned. 

"I can get you a smoothie?"

I shake my head. 

"Cereal?" 

Another head shake. 

Aurora sighs. "The Don said you're picky," and she laughs. I let out a small chuckle. I have never liked food. 

It's annoying. 

The door opens. The twins pop their heads in. Luke grins at me mischievously. 

"Oui, there, little sister! Congrats! Your first time getting shot! Wow, I wasn't treated this special. Dad pretty much told me to shake it off, and I was thirteen," Luke sighs. 

Logan rolls his eyes. "Yeah, yeah. Shut up. You only took two bullets. I took four." 

Their conversation seems lighthearted, but I get anxious as they talk about getting shot. Shot! They're so nonchalant about the whole experience. 

It's so sickening. And unfortunate. 

Luke falls down onto the bed. Logan turns to Aurora, and says, "Thanks for all your help, but we've got it covered. Go help Laney in the kitchen." 

Aurora nods, grabs my tray of uneaten food, and swiftly walks off. 

Logan falls down on the other side of me. 

"What are you doing?" I ask, slightly irritated. I really want to sleep.

"Someone's in a good mood," Luke says, smirking. 

"Hm... what should we watch?" Logan asks. He found the remote to the television mounted to my wall. 

He eventually clicks on an action movie. 

And the door opens yet again. 

Zachary steps inside, grinning. I huff and cross my arms. "Why is everyone coming to my room?!" 

Zachary shrugs. He heads towards the bed, and shoves Luke off, quickly taking his spot next to me. I raise an eyebrow, smiling as Luke lands with a thud. 

"Ow! How fucking rude!" Luke curses from the floor. 

"Hey! There's an innocent child present," Zachary says, motioning to me with his head. I narrow my eyes at him. 

"I'm not five. I've heard people curse before." 

Zachary pats my head. "Sure you have, sister." 

Logan reaches over me and punches Zachary's shoulder. "Shut up! The movie is starting!" Logan scolds us, leaning into the numerous fluffy pillows. 

Luke is still whining on the floor. 

Even though there's space on the bed for him. 

Whatever. 

As the movie plays, my eyes grow heavy. I sink into the pillows even more. In my half-dazed state, my head falls on a chest. 

And a muscular arm wraps around me. 

I hear someone mutter "Ugh! No fair!" before I pass out. 

———

Mum and I walk side-by-side down the road. It's a sketchier side of town, but Mum promised we'd be alright. 

I smile at Mum, she kisses the top of my head. 

The day is warm. Bright. Birds fly around in the sky and flowers bloom from little pots on the steps of peoples's houses. 

Mum wants to take me to a new museum about musical history, since I really love playing her piano. 

I love music. 

I remember my broth—

No. I can't think about them. Uncle said so. Even my therapist wants me to start fresh, turn over a new leaf. 

I lean closer to Mum. "Is something wrong, my darling?" She asks. I shrug. But I feel something bad swirling in my stomach. An uneasy feeling. 

We turn the corner. 

And my heart drops. Down, down, down through my body. 

Mum screams. 

A man is standing in the center of the road, holding onto a little girl with pale skin and closed eyes. She looks dead. 

The man has a gun pressed to his temple. 

"How could I do this? I didn't mean to kill you, I swear! I swear!" He cries out as he hugs the girl closer to his chest. 

He inhales, takes a deep breath in, and shoots.

His bloody head falls backward. 

Mum immediately picks up her phone, and calls the police. 

———

I wake up with a gasp.

I'm still in Zachary's arms. 

My whole body is shaking uncontrollably. I keep trying to suck in deep breaths, but it's hard. Why can't I breathe? 

The room is dark now, even though the curtains are still open. 

I hear snores on all sides of me. 

I begin to let out choked sobs. I can picture the innocent girl. The cruel, broken man. What did he do to her? 

It must've been bad. He shot himself because of it. 

I curl up in a shaking, little ball. "Oh my god. Ev, Ev? Are you okay?" Zachary is asking me. He grabs my waist and pulls me into his arms. 

I lean into his chest, sobs racking my body. 

"You're safe here with us, Ev," He whispers, rubbing my back gently. 

Suddenly Logan is holding a glass of water to my lips, and a pill, and Luke has a box of tissues. I take the water and begin drinking it. 

I had no idea how parched my throat was. I take the pill and drink until the glass is empty, and shyly hand it back to Logan. He smiles at me. 

My body has calmed down considerably, but I'm still gasping for air. I'm trying to take in as much as I can. 

I feel tired again. I slump back over in Zachary's lap, my eyes closing almost immediately. 

"I wish we could do more to help her. We still have no idea what happened to her in the foster care system," Someone says. 

"Alexander should put her into therapy," Another one adds. 

My mind goes fuzzy. 

I fall asleep again. 

———

Hello, my readers!

Two chapters in one week. That's pretty impressive, huh? 

What do you think about Aurora so far? 

Do you like the way Evelyn's relationship with her brothers is slowly becoming stronger? 

Anyway, I'll see you soon! 

Love, 

Eva

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

280K 6.3K 33
Aurora grows up with abusive foster parents until her biological father learns about her existence and steps in to save her. But what happens when 6...
78.6K 2.8K 64
"Honestly, I think you're really gonna like New York." "New York? Like New York City, New York?" "The one and only," my cousin grinned, taking a swig...
1M 25.4K 46
Sometimes you don't get the privilege of making choices. It is either: walk through the fire and get out with a few burns or be flung into it and ge...
3.2M 70.9K 46
"We want you home Sorella" Mason said to me. "I couldn't give two shits what you want." I said back. He looked pissed. I could feel someone coming...