The Road Home

By prh030

Super celebrity, Harper Wills, is devastated when she loses her mother to suicide. Struggling to cope with he... More

Chapter One
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue

Chapter 8

26 4 21
By prh030

The aroma of the country ham was the first thing Ben noticed when he walked into his mother's house. Sunday lunch was a tradition for his family and had been for generations. He could remember both sides of his family coming together for Sunday meals when he was boy and missed those times. Simpler times, he thought as he took off his jacket, laid it neatly across the recliner, and then proceeded to the kitchen.

"It's about time you got here," Janet teased, setting plates on the table. "Will you grab the forks?"

Ben's grandmother, Grams, sat at the kitchen table and held Janet's youngest child on her lap. Seven month old Eva carefully pecked at Cheerios from the table. Grams encouraged Eva while constantly supplying more from the box.

"I talked to Cecil. He said he's been trying to get a hold of you." Ben's mother, Gloria, came into the kitchen. Gloria could easily pass for a woman much younger even though she was nearing sixty. Her resolve had seen her through a difficult marriage, divorce, and life as a single mother but had done very well and always bore a smile. Much of Ben's level-headedness came from his loving mother.

Ben set the silverware on the table. "He wants to talk about the counsel. I haven't had time to sit down with him yet,".

"The Council? Wow. You have to do it." Janet straightened the napkins while her son ran through the kitchen barely missing the edge of the kitchen table. "Quit running, Samuel!"

"Your grandfather would have wanted you to sit on the tribal council. Both of your grandfathers would. All of your grandfathers," offered Grams.

Ben nodded. He knew it was an honor to be asked but wondered when he would have time to meet with Cecil. He grabbed his four year old nephew. "Come here, stinker." The boy giggled as Ben picked him up and kissed him on the top of the head before tickling him. Samuel's laughter filled the kitchen.

"I think the hams ready." Gloria turned the oven off as the timer on the stove caught her attention. "Will you help me get it out of the oven?" Her question was directed at Ben. She turned off the timer as he sat the boy down then walked to the oven.

"Smells wonderful." He carefully set the roaster on the counter.

"Thank you," she replied, with a grin. "Janet and I were wondering if you'd take us to the movie set this afternoon."

"Mom wants to meet Michael Kennady," Janet joked.

"Oh hush," Gloria laughed, then added. "He's a good actor. Who wouldn't?"

"I don't see why not."

"I'd like to meet some of the others, too. Like Joseph Red Deer or Marion White Eagle." Gloria stuck spoons in the beans and corn that were already on the table.

"I want to meet that Harper Wills," Grams interjected.

"You don't want to meet her, does she, Ben?" Janet stated.

"She's alright." Harper had crossed his mind several times since dropping her off at her trailer. As he pondered how she was, he carefully sliced the ham. Gloria set the slices on a Corning Ware dish.

"I thought you couldn't stand her." Janet wiped the table. "What changed?"

He didn't speak for a moment as he reflected on his prior feelings toward her. "I found out her mother passed a couple of days before she got here."

"How sad!" Gloria exclaimed as she took the dish to the table. She placed it in the center as the family gathered around.

"Bless her heart." Janet looked at Ben.

"I took her to the mountain yesterday." He cringed but it was too late. Damn.

"Well," Gloria paused in disbelief, "that was nice." The shock was thick in her tone. She turned towards Janet then to Grams who each briefly glanced at her with their own look of concern.

Ben leaned against the counter. He watched Samuel roll a toy truck across the floor aggravated at himself for disclosing the previous day's event. "Just thought the view would help."

An uncomfortable stillness filled the kitchen.

Finally, Janet spoke. "Did it?"

"I don't know." Ben noticed the uneasiness in the room wasn't leaving. They were well aware of how he felt about the place but doubted they were as shocked as he was that he had taken her. Hoping to change the subject, he asked, "Are we ready to eat?"

"Well, I'm getting her autograph," Grams smiled, lifting the mood. She moved her chair toward the wall to make room for Ben.

"How do you know Harper Wills, Grams?" Ben smiled as he sat next to her.

"Who doesn't? I've seen several of her movies and saw her win that Oscar last year. She's a beautiful girl and can sing like a canary. I used to listen to her grandfather, Wyatt. Now, he was a country music legend. And handsome, too" she grinned then asked Gloria. "What was the name of that song he sang that I loved so much?"

"Those Ole' Memories." Gloria sat at the head of the table. "Whatever happened to him?"

"I heard he drank himself to death," Grams shook her head, sadly. "Yes, that's the name of that song. I remember dancing to that with your grandfather just like it was yesterday." She patted Ben on the hand.

It wasn't long before the meal was finished. Gloria and Grams had gone to change while Ben and Janet cleaned the kitchen.

"When do you want to go to the lot?" Ben asked, drying off a plate and putting it in the cabinet. Over dinner, he had caught her glancing his way several times with a look that told him she wanted to ask about his day with Harper. Luckily, she had refrained. He knew it was coming though.

"Let's go soon so Eva can take her nap when we get back." Janet was nearly finished wiping off the table. Once it was clean, she walked to the sink. "Well?" she asked, drawing out the word. She cut Ben a sideways glance that he tried to avoid.

"What?" He pretended not to know what his sister was talking about.

"What's she like?" She handed him a plate from the dishwasher then got one for herself. They continued to dry the dishes while they talked.

"She's going through a hard time." He made a conscious effort not to sound like he was enthralled with her.

"Are you going to see her again?'

"I work with her."

She chuckled. "That's not what I mean."

A crease formed across his forehead. Being the little sister, she always knew how to push his buttons. "There's nothing going on."

"There wouldn't be anything wrong if there was."

"There's not!" He was a little harsher than he meant. A wave of guilt came over him and he was going to apologize until he saw Janet's expression. Her slight grin told him that she knew perfectly well how he felt.

Grams sighed as she walked into the kitchen. "I can't find it anywhere."

"What?" Janet asked.

"The Wyatt Wills record. I used to have it. I did find one of Harper's CDs though." Grams walked into the family room and put the CD in the stereo. A few seconds later Harper's voice blared throughout the house.

"Wow, that's loud," laughed Janet.

Ben shook his head amused. Leave it to Grams to lighten the mood.

~

Harper was rudely awakened by what felt like an LA earthquake. She sat straight up in a panic and then saw her twenty four year old brother and newest artist on her record label sitting beside her. It took her a moment to realize she wasn't dreaming.

"Cole? What are you doing here?"

"Get up! You know what time it is? What'd ya party all night?" Cole smiled, devilishly. His brown shaggy hair hung in his eyes.

"How'd you get here?" she replied, smiling at his southern twang. She couldn't remember the last time she'd seen him.

"I had a gig in Cheyenne. Drove my new Chevy here."

"Did you just use the word 'gig'?" Harper laughed then lay back on her pillow.

"Oh, shut up." He bounced harder on the bed.

"Would you stop it?" She tried to hit him with her pillow.

Cole laughed as he quickly ducked out of the way.

"You drove all the way here from Cheyenne? You're crazy."

"It wasn't too bad," he smiled. "I wanted to see my favorite sister."

"Your only sister." She tried to pull her blankets out from underneath him.

"Dad said I was within drivin' distance from ya so, figured I'd drop in and check on you. Plus I really wanted to see the fort." He winked. "Come on!"

Cole left the room while Harper got ready and ten minutes later they walked toward the fort.

"That is awesome." Cole took in the massive spectacle. "I can't believe they build stuff like this for movies. I should've gone into set design."

"Want me to get you a job?"

"You already did," he grinned. Cole had played guitar in Harper's band for the past three years and had only recently cut his first album. Thanks to Harper's support, he soon acquired his own contract. His good looks and raw talent had earned him a following.

Harper sat on a picnic bench outside of the fort walls and waited for Cole to explore the inside.

"That is too cool!" He walked up to the picnic table and sat down beside his sister. "I am so pumped about next week!"

"Really? Couldn't tell." The apprehension she felt about her new album coming out was nothing compared to the way she felt about returning to LA. It would be different if she could go back and relax but next week's schedule left no time for anything except work.

"I am ready for this. Every time I hear Clueless on the radio. I get cold chills." The excitement over the fact that his first single was quickly climbing the country music charts was evident in his voice.

"You'll get over that."

"I really appreciate you helping me the way you have." He referred to the fact that Harper had included one of his songs on her next album and been instrumental in his success.

"You're welcome," Harper replied. "Who knows, you may carry on the Wills' legacy."

"I'm bankin' on it," Cole grinned.

"You'll do fine. You've got those blue eyes working for you and you're not lacking too much in the talent department," she joked.

Cole laughed. "I can't wait for my second song to be released. S'pose to happen in July," he grinned. "Speaking of July, Stan e-mailed me the tour dates. We're going all over the country."

Harper groaned, realizing that the tour hadn't crossed her mind since she'd been in South Dakota. "How many cities?"

"Fifty right now. He said more will be added later! Hey, how are you doing, you know, with everything?"

"Better, I think." She was glad that the feeling of gloom she had experienced since the news of her mother's death seemed to have lessened. She wondered if the mountain had anything to do with it.

"I was worried about you."

"You're sweet," she smiled, thankful for Cole and the relationship they had. They had spent their summers at Brock's growing up together. Both had mothers who were in the entertainment industry. Cole's mother had been a backup singer for Brock yet they never married. Last Harper heard she had settled down with an accountant in Georgia and had two more kids. Cole always spoke highly of her and his stepfather.

"Have you talked to Rick lately?

"No." She shook her head. "We're not together anymore,"

"Tabloids say you two are on your way to the altar." He laughed.

Harper rolled her eyes. "Rick isn't exactly Mr. Right or even within a million miles of him."

He put his arm around her and hugged her.

She laid her head on his shoulder as a little black haired boy ran past the table.

"Samuel! Stop!" A woman called from behind. Harper turned to see Ben and a group of people walking toward them. Marion White Eagle led the way.

"Good afternoon." Marion was beaming with happiness as they approached.

"Hi," Harper smiled. "How are you?"

"I'm good, dear. You?"

"Better," she replied, before looking at Ben who nodded her way. She noticed his slight smile before he looked away.

"Who do you have with you?" Marion asked, smiling at Cole.

Before Harper could speak, Cole jumped down from the bench. "I'm Cole Wills, Harper's brother." Cole shook hands with Marion then the others.

A short, plump older American Indian lady walked up to Harper and extended her hand. Her dark framed glasses reminded Harper of her Dolce and Gabbanaa. They were too big and seemed to hide the woman's full face. Her long gray hair hung down her back but appeared to have been teased on top almost into a bouffant. The woman's sparkling eyes and inviting smile told Harper she would like her. "I'm Maggie Waters Fell."

"Hi," Harper replied, shaking her hand.

"I'm Ben's grandmother. You can call me Grams," she winked.

"Hi Grams," Harper nodded then smiled at Ben who quickly returned the smile.

Ben stepped closer. "Harper, this is my mother, Gloria, and that's my sister, Jan," He motioned towards Janet who was bringing Samuel back. She smiled brightly and waved at Harper.

The group exchanged pleasantries as Samuel ran up to Ben. "I want to go in the fort."

"Let's go." Ben picked up the little boy then glanced over his shoulder. His eyes fixed on Harper. "You two want to come with us?"

"Sure," Cole replied, taking Harper's hand. His excitement caused Harper to give him a crazy look. She tried to keep up with him.

The group walked through the fort's large open doors amazed at the sight. Harper laughed at Cole who was just as thrilled as the first time he went in it, not ten minutes earlier.

"Oh my! They really put a lot of detail into this, didn't they?" Gloria admired the constructed set inside the fort. Although newly built, it looked as if it had come straight from the 1840s. The rustic backdrop was complete with a general store, telegraph office, and barber shop.

Harper nodded. "Brett's a sucker for detail."

Ben set Samuel down then explained, "Brett is the executive producer and director." He watched Samuel take off running.

Janet's eyes grew wide as she watched her son run toward the set. "Don't put him down! He may break something."

Ben replied, casually, "He'll be okay."

Grams told Harper. "I have searched all over for your grandfather's album. I know I have it somewhere."

"Which one is it?"

"Remembering Tomorrow."

"That's a good one," smiled Harper as she glanced at Ben. He seemed different around his family. More reserved, maybe. If that was possible.

Grams waited for Cole to walk out of the mock telegraph office then asked, "Are you in the movie, too?"

"Nah, I just came up to check on her." He motioned towards Harper.

"Cole's a singer. His first song is on the radio." Harper smiled proudly at her little brother.

Gram was obviously impressed. "Is that right? Do you know the song Those Ole Memories by your grandfather?"

"Oh yeah, that's the first song Dad ever taught me to play on guitar. I love it."

"It's my favorite." Grams replied, and then turned to Harper. "I have some of your songs, too."

"Really?" Harper tried to act surprised.

"I played one for Ben before we came," she nodded.

Harper smiled at Ben who quickly cleared his throat and looked away. She held back a laugh. It hadn't taken long to learn that he did that when he was uncomfortable.

Gloria stepped closer to Harper. "Are you filming already?"

"I'm not, but there are some scenes being shot. Some of the scenes with the Parker family and the ones with no dialogue," Harper replied then looking at Marion continued. "I think Marion has filmed a couple of her scenes."

Marion nodded. "Yes, we've filmed a little here and there. Luckily I haven't had to say anything. I'm having the hardest time learning the Comanche language."

"You're doing very well." Ben encouraged.

"Only because you're a good teacher," Marion replied, smiling. She turned to Gloria and watched her move Eva from one hip to another. "She is adorable."

As Gloria and Marion started talking about grandchildren Ben and Harper walked further inside the fort.

"How'd your appointment slash date go last night, Professor?"

"That's none of your business," Ben answered with a smile.

Harper smiled back when Janet interrupted.

"He has to use the bathroom. What should I do?" She sounded panicky as she looked from Samuel to Ben.

Harper pointed to an alley between the buildings. "There's a porta-potty behind the fort. It's through there." She watched Janet and Samuel walk away then turned to Ben. Taking a step closer to him, she asked, "Did you make it by nine?"

He took a deep breath then exhaled. "You're a pest."

Neither of them noticed Gloria as she walked up to them. "Ben, we're going to have to bring Grandmother out here,"

"I told her I would." He motioned to the trail from the lot to the fort. "We could drive her out here."

Grams and Cole walked out of one of the buildings. She stood next to Gloria. "Harper, when does your new album come out?"

"Um, next week," Harper answered, shocked by the question. Rarely did people know when her albums were released.

Cole chuckled. "You know Grams, Harper needs a new publicist. You lookin' for a job?"

"I just might put my application in! I'm on Facebook!" she answered as the group laughed.

Janet had a look of exasperation as she and Samuel joined the group. The boy quickly wrapped his arm around Ben's leg.

"Will you hold me?" he asked Ben, who promptly did. The group strolled out the fort walls and toward the main buildings.

Janet pointed to the group of mobile homes. "What are all those for?"

Cole smiled. "That's the trailer park where Harper lives."

"Really?" Janet asked in shock.

Harper nodded. "Really."

Janet smiled, "The girls at work want to know if you're going to marry Rick Taylor?"

Harper smiled at Janet and tried not to notice Ben who seemed to be waiting for her answer. What was he thinking?

"You can assure the girls at work that I would never marry Rick Taylor. I feel sorry for the poor soul who might one day."

Janet laughed. "They'll be glad to know he's still single."

Before long, they had walked back to the parking lot and were standing next to Ben's Jeep. Cole had seen Melinda and had gone into the trailer to talk with her about the odds of her becoming his manager while Gloria and Marion still discussed grandchildren. Janet, Ben, Grams, and Harper stood next to his Jeep.

Janet asked quietly. "Is Michael Kennady around?"

Grams stepped up with a wide smile. She held onto Samuel's hand. "Oh, I want to see him, too,"

"He's probably in the conference room. They play cards and carry on in there when they're not filming," offered Harper. "You want to meet him?" Harper asked Janet who quickly nodded then laughed sheepishly.

"Come on." Harper led them to the main building. A few minutes later as Ben and Gloria talked, the group came back outside.

"Guess who wants to meet you, Mother?" Janet sang coming back arm in arm with Michael Kennady. Harper and Grams followed close behind.

"Oh, my goodness," Gloria laughed quietly.

"I got autographs!" Grams sang, waving a paper in the air.

Harper walked over by Ben while Michael flirted with the ladies. She noticed as Ben glanced her way.

"Are you going to be awake at seven in the morning?" Ben asked as he watched Michael with his family.

"Are you going to be mad at me if I'm not?"

"Most likely." He offered with a slight grin as Harper laughed quietly "If you'd rather meet later, I can change some things around."

"It's okay. My schedule is fixing to get hectic so I need to get on some sort of routine."

Ben nodded as Samuel walked up to them. "Can I ride with you?"

"I'm going home."

"I can go home with you," the little boy replied, solving the problem.

Ben laughed.

Janet quickly came towards them. "I've already told him no."

"Please," Samuel cried.

"Samuel, we're going to Nana's and Uncle Ben is going home," Janet picked up the boy and hugged Ben. She turned to Harper. "Thanks for today. It was fun."

"You're welcome, but I didn't do anything."

"You introduced me to Michael Kennady. That was everything."

Janet put Samuel in the car and got in the back seat between both of her children. As the ladies waved and said their goodbyes, Ben walked around his Jeep to the driver's door. He barely glanced at Harper. "I'll see you in the morning."

~

Ben turned down his street when he heard his cell ring. He saw his mother's name and number as it flashed on the screen.

"Are you home yet?" she asked.

"Getting ready to turn in my driveway."

"I wanted to thank you for taking us to the lot today. Janet said Samuel hasn't stopped talking about it."

"You're welcome." He pulled into his garage and shut off the engine.

Gloria sighed then continued. "Harper seems sweet."

Ben shook his head, finally realizing the true reason she was calling. "Mom," he moaned.

"Just be careful," Gloria offered.

"There's nothing to be careful about."

"I saw the way you look at her." Her tone was soft but he still couldn't believe he was having this discussion with his mother.

"I wasn't--."

"I've read some things about her, Ben." She sighed. "Terrible things."

He rubbed his forehead. "There's nothing going on and most of the things you read aren't true anyway."

"I just don't want you to get hurt. I love you."

"I love you, too." He dropped his phone in his jacket pocket and shook his head. There's nothing going on, he repeated silently. He vowed to keep it that way.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.3K 3.1K 88
Ripley Marro moved away from Hawkins in middle school leaving behind her longtime friend, Eddie Munson. They lost contact over the years but when her...
742 88 30
Ivy Miller is a simple girl. She's not asking for much. Only for a peaceful, uncomplicated life. She grows bored often during her job at the music st...
11.7K 434 51
"We shouldn't do this-- I'm leaving in a few months." "What better time to start than now." "I thought I was just a music nerd to you." "You're not...
26 14 7
Alisa's journey begins with a rocky start as her expulsion from school and academic struggles evoke a mix of disappointment and concern from her moth...