Wings of Fire What Ifs

By giftedmythics

Explore the infinite timelines and possibilities of the Wings of Fire mythos. Timelines where different choic... More

Wings of Fire in What if Prologue
What if Morrowseer found out about Sunny? Part 1
What if Icewings discovered Pantala? Part 1
What if Morrowseer found out about Sunny? Part 2
What If Icewings discovered Pantala? Part 2
What if Morrowseer found out about Sunny? Part 3
What If Blaze was Smarter? Part 2

What if Blaze was smarter? Part 1

118 3 1
By giftedmythics

Time...

Space...

Reality...

It's more than a linear path...

It's a prism of endless possibility...

Where a single choice can branch off into infinite timelines...

Creating alternate stories from the ones you know...

I am The Watcher...

I am your guide through these vast new timelines...

So follow me...

and ponder the question...

What if?

***

Not every dragon is born for greatness. Some are too entitled to work hard, some are too scared to make a difference, and some just never get the chance. Blaze, despite all the odds, became one of those dragons. Daughter to one of the most revered sandwing queens of all time, Blaze had every opportunity to make something of herself, to leave a lasting mark on her timeline. She could've been a warrior, a strategist, an artist, or even a good cook. But Blaze in the original timeline is none of these things. Squandering her potential to chase jewels and riches. In the original timeline, all she will be remembered for is being the "joke," the dainty ditzy princess that lost the war. In the timelines of infinite possibility however, there is always another version that is better, where we get to see that potential realized. Timeline's where Blaze's less, favorable qualities are toned down. What If Blaze was friends with Smolder? What If she saw through her sister's plan? What if Blaze wasn't as dumb as everyone thought?

***

Timeline 174

What if Blaze was smarter?

Blaze

Blaze knew what other dragons thought about her. She was silly, stupid, a ditzy idiot waiting to die. Like that one time, her sisters tried to convince her that a crown their mother gave her was out in the desert somewhere. During an incoming sandstorm. When Blaze heard this she was appalled. Do they really think I'm that stupid? That I would fall for an obvious, silly trap like that!? I mean, Agave stole her crown and hid it, according to Camel who heard from Parch?! Blaze could immediately tell the obvious lie, despite loving to gossip. Even if the crown was out there, its not like Blaze would risk her life for it. Its true the object meant a lot to her, and mother might not like the fact that she "lost" it, but there were worse things. Like Death. Blaze was currently hiding in the library, huddling in the back corner behind a wall of scrolls. Until now, she hadn't realized how bad this family was.

Her sisters wanted her dead. One was seven, and one was nine, and both of them wanted their two year old sister dead! How could they be so cruel, to commit such horrific actions. Would they even miss her when she was gone, would they feel a shred of guilt? Blaze recalled Blister and Burn's cold dark expressions she'd seen multiple times. She guessed that wouldn't be the case. Why? Blaze knew she wasn't cut out for this. Why do I have to be in this family, why do I have to the youngest sibling, why do I have to be the target?!

"Princess!" The voice caused her to snap out of her thoughts and raise her head. She looked and saw two older dragonets running towards her. Blaze didn't recognize them but they both had a concerned expression on their faces, which turned to relief once they got closer. "Three moons! You're okay!" The sandwing in front exclaimed. "Jeez, that took forever!" The one behind him complained, "who knew you would be in a library!" Both Blaze and the other sandwing looked at the complaining one with questioning and dismayed faces. "Shut up Dune." The one in front ordered simply as he turned back towards Blaze.

"Princess, we believe there is about to be an attempt on you life." Tell me about it. Blaze thought, though she responded in a more stereotypical fashion. "W-w-what! Someone wants to kill me?!." "Wait, so have your sisters talked to you recently?" The one who wasn't Dune asked. "N-no." Blaze lied, "I haven't seen them since I realized I lost my crown."

"Well, apparently your brother told Six-claws you were in danger so-" The one who was supposedly Six-claws interrupted Dune. "They still might be planning something, and we have no idea when they might enact whatever they're doing!" He really shouldn't worry, Blaze thought, their plan already failed. How do I get that across to them? Blaze stood up and looked at both of them. "I-I'll be f-fine mother will protect me, I just need to go to mother!"

"But what if that's what they want, what if this is all part of their plan to-" Six-claws began to ramble. "You worry too much." Dune interrupted him with a nonchalant tone. "We don't even know if Blister and Burn were talking about killing Blaze." Wow, some hero you are. Blaze rolled her eyes. "That's true, but my instincts tell me she's is still in danger." Six-claws turned back to Blaze looking no less concerned despite Dune's comments. Wow, he cares so much, even though he's doing something so dangerous. For a dragon he doesn't even know. For me... Blaze felt blood rushing to her face as she stared into his intelligent, compassionate eyes.

Six-claws was talking again but Blaze was barely listening. "Are you sure you'll be okay princess?" After a few seconds of pause, Blaze finally blinked and responded. "Y-yes I'll be okay, m-maybe you could accompany me as I went to mother?" She smiled at him hopefully, his expression shifting into one of thought and consideration. "Hmmm... that makes sense, okay we'll do it." "Eh, sure as long as its not teaching loud, younger, annoying dragonets." Dune added, but Blaze was only focused on Six-Claws. "Then lets go!" Blaze beamed as she took Six-claws' leg and began pulling him to the library exit. "Hey you two, wait for me!" Dune called after them as he hurried to catch up.

***

"So. Blaze." Her burly, oldest sister Burn said calmly, though Blaze sensed a growl of frustration in her voice. "We just wanted to, console you with the loss of your favorite crown." Blister continued with a smile on her face. Despite the middle sister's friendly demeanor, Blaze couldn't help but sense an overwhelming malice emanating from her. They had cornered her in her room, both of them towering over the helpless dragonet. It's okay, they can't kill me here. It's far more obvious if they killed me here right?

"We simply wish to know where you were all day, so where were you Blaze?" The emphasis on her name Blaze shiver again. Despite this, she swallowed her fear hard and tried to act normal. "I-I, I was scared. I-If I lost the crown mother gave me, t-then she would forbid me from g-going into the treasury again!" Blaze began to cry crocodile tears as she sobbed loudly.

"Hmph". She heard Burn scoff, her heavy claw steps began to fade from Blaze's ears as she left the room. Blaze sniffled and looked up at her remaining sister. Blister's face tightened, her facade failing for a split second. Seeing just how upset they were that they failed to kill her... it shook Blaze to her core. A few genuine tears began to form in Blaze's eyes. "Well, I will leave you now." Blister remarked coldly and stalked out, her rage barely contained.

The dragonet took a breath. She was safe... for now. Who knew when her sisters would think of another plan to kill her. Maybe next time, Blaze wouldn't be smart enough to see through it. Maybe... she needed help. Blaze remembered what the dragon with Six-claws had said "Apparently your brother told Six-claws you were in danger..." My brother? Blaze pondered. One of them told Six-claws to save me? Which one, I have three right? Singe, Scald, and the other one, what was his name again...?

That's when Blaze came up with an idea, well more like two, it was unconventional, sure but maybe it would pay off. With a new sense of vigor Blaze shot up and charged out of her room, it was time to make some allies.

***

After doing a bit of asking around, Blaze went to find Six-claws in the kitchens. Blaze had never been there before, but granted she had never been to most places in the palace. The smell of cooking camels, dates, and scorpions wafted through the air, busy dragons all working and crafting masterpieces with their claws. The princess had never really thought about how the meals she ate every day were created. She found herself staring at a sandwing masterfully chopping meat and scraping it into a pot, without hesitation, they immediately threw herbs in and began mixing like they'd preformed this multiple times before. It was akin to a performance in a way, a performance Blaze found herself captivated by.

"Princess?" A voice snapped Blaze out of her thoughts, a male adult sandwing with an expression full of confusion asked Blaze from behind. Blaze whirled around with a bit of shock, but immediately studied the dragon in front of her, there was something... familiar about him. He had yellowish-brown scales and calm, kind eyes that reminded her of Six-Claws. He seemed to carry a sense of authority, like he was used to being a leader and giving orders. When Blaze was asking around, she found out that Six-Claws' mother was one of mom's guards and his father... was the head cook. Is this him?

"You wouldn't happen to be... Quicksand would you?" The larger dragon did a slight double-take before smiling warmly. "Yes princess, I am Quicksand. May I ask, what is your reasoning for visiting the kitchens?" Blaze stood up straight, and spoke as regally and authoritative as possible. "Do you know where Six-Claws is? I have something I want to... talk to him about." Blaze could feel herself blushing slightly, turning her head away from the other sandwing to hide her expression. There was a few moments of silence in the still bustling room, Blaze turned back to Quicksand to see his reaction. To say he was shocked... was an understatement. He shook his head to regain his composure, and smiled again. "Of course... I can take you to him." Quicksand motioned for Blaze to follow, and turned around, beginning to walk away.

Blaze began to follow, mesmerized by the art the dragons around them were making. "Impressed?" Quicksand asked when he caught Blaze looking at a dragon whipping batter. "They're making a date soufflé, one of the hardest things to create on the menu." Blaze turned back as the female dragon poured the batter into small cups. Blaze always loved those soufflés, in fact, she had a tendency to cry when she felt she didn't get enough. They were hard to make? Seeing the effort and sweat dragons were putting into it... made Blaze appreciate the dessert more. She almost forgot why they were here, until Quicksand stopped suddenly.

"Six-claws, princess Blaze is here to see you." He slightly raised his voice above the noise, directed at the dragonet in question, bent over his work. Blaze immediately felt her heart leap at the sight of him, his eyes sparkled with a determination and focus that never seemed to go away. Her blush was returning, she began quivering slightly. Keep calm Blaze your royalty! He's just a commoner! A really handsome and brave commoner, but still! A commoner! If anything he should be nervous talking to me! Blaze saw Six-Claws, and the two other female dragonets with him turn to look in their direction. The three all looked at Quicksand with a mixture of shock and confusion. Their gaze shifted from him, to her.

Six-claws' eyes on her only made Blaze's anxiety worse. "She wishes to speak with you." Quicksand clarified. "Privately." Blaze interjected. "Right, privately." Six-Claws looked more confused than ever, but stopped what he was doing and made his way over to them. Once he was close enough, Blaze attempted to steel her nerves by avoiding looking at his eyes. "I-is there someplace we can t-talk?" Seemingly getting over his shock Six-claws suggested a hallway outside of the kitchen, he claimed was almost never used. After Blaze agreed, she felt herself holding her breath as the two of them walked away.

"Sooooo... what is this, about princess?" Six-claws asked once they stopped. Blaze fiddled with her claws as she admitted her reasoning. "W-well, I wanted to thank you for your warning earlier. It was... very nice. Of you." "No need to thank me, I was just doing what I believed was right. You never leave dragonets in danger." His sincerity and honesty once again, took Blaze aback. His voice and demeanor was completely different from Blister's. Instead of an overbearing, false kindness, he was genuine, and real.

"W-well I think you deserve a reward anyway!" Blaze said while pouting slightly. Trying to again regain her composure, she took a breath and continued. "That's why I'm recommending you to my dad for the army! Isn't that amazing isn't it sooooo nice of me?!" Blaze beamed at the larger dragonet, expecting a joyous reaction. She was slightly disappointed when he reacted with a mix of confusion and disbelief.

"The... king? You're going to recommend me to... the king? But I didn't do anything that impressive." "Not if I embellish a few details, and besides, a brave dragon who worked to foil my sisters' plans deserves a spot on our forces. Don't.... you think?" Six-claws looked away, for the first time in this conversation, he looked nervous. "You... could, get me in the army?" "I could do anything for you... but this will be very simple, uh only if you want me too of course." Blaze quickly corrected herself. Six-claws shifted a bit uncomfortably, clearly he wasn't completely sold on the idea. "What are you going to tell him? If you're going to embellish details, then what will you say?"

Blaze smiled wider at his curiosity. "Oh, I'll just tell him you saved me from the sandstorm, while I was out looking for my crown!" Six-claws pointed out how stupid Blaze would have to be to look for a crown in the middle of a desert because of some rumor. "Don't worry." Blaze's smile wavering slightly. "He'll believe it... and besides, its totally something you would do... right?" Six-claws didn't object, instead he looked at Blaze with sparkle in his eyes and a small innocent smile on his snout. "Well, could you also help get Dune in too?" Blaze didn't see why the other dragonet was worthy, but agreed anyway.

"Thank you, princess."

Blaze had no way of hiding her blush this time, instead trying to act nonchalant despite it. "Well, don't thank me or praise me until after I succeed. Once I do... maybeyoucouldalsogivemeahugofapprectiation... or something." Six-Claws laughed, he laughed! Though maybe it was more of a chuckle. "I'll consider it princess." "Blaze. Call me by my name. In fact, I'm ordering you to only call me by my name subject!" Six-Claws chuckled again. "Well, if there is anything I'm good at, its following orders. So, I'll remember Blaze." Hearing him say her name that way, it made Blaze want to melt in a puddle of happiness. Realizing she was going to explode if she was around him any longer, Blaze tried to wrap up the conversation. "W-well I-I guess I'll seeyoutomorrow... bye!" Blaze rushed down the hallway, through the kitchen, and out the doors into the cold desert night. All the while she beamed as if precious gems were showering on her.

***

2 years later...

Befriending Smolder was fairly easily. All Blaze had to do was act like her usual self, and hang out with him occasionally. As Blaze got to know him over the years, she realized how similar they were. The youngest brother and the youngest sister alike. Both of them could be considered... unimpressive compared to their older siblings. The fact he was considerate enough to warn Six-Claws in an attempt to protect her, it already gave Blaze a sense she could trust him. He was funny, kind, and just as disillusioned with this family as Blaze was. The two regularly discussed if they even liked being royalty or not. "I wish I could just escape this." Smolder told her once. "I wish I could just be a normal, happy dragon who wasn't afraid of his own family." Blaze always played up her ditzy traits around others, but whenever she was having moments like this, she always seemed to forget. "I agree, that fearing your own family could... want you dead is bad. But, I can't say I don't enjoy being a princess. Those treasures and riches are still my favorite part!" "Really." Her bother responded solemnly. "For me, the negatives far out way the positives.

Sometimes the two of them would meet up to play chess. While Blaze was admittedly terrible at the strategy game, she found herself admiring how the different pieces were moved on the board like a pattern. Smolder didn't seem to mind how bad she was, only teasing her slightly at her lack of forward-thinking. For a dragon who's appearance resembled the cold, calculating Blister so much, Smolder was really nothing like that. At first Blaze had latched onto Smolder as a dragon she could trust, someone who could protect her from her sisters. Overtime however, she began to really appreciate him as a dragon, as family. Though, he was still nowhere near Six-Claws' level of amazing. Besides, their mother, queen Oasis ran this family this way for a reason. I was eventually able to understand why mother is so paranoid... not just this family... but other dragons in this tribe, in this world who step on others just to achieve power. Blaze always shivered at the thought. She knew all too well she would be the "weak" one that others could easily trample on.

"Well, when I'm queen, they'll be none of that!" She told Smolder with a determination she didn't know she had. "When I'm in charge, we'll be a beautiful family who all loves one another!" Smolder laughed, but it was a sad laugh. Like he didn't believe her words at all. "Smolder." She said uncharacteristically quietly. "Besides looking great, what other strengths do I have? Am I truly inferior to... them in every way?" Smolder looked at his talons, pondering his response before turning back to Blaze. "Well, you're definitely much kinder that our sisters. I'm sure most sane dragons would like you more." This didn't make Blaze feel much better. Is simply being nice the only good I'm good at? Do I offer anything to this world, could I offer anything to this family, this lineage, or am I just... nice?

***

9 years later...

The plan was simple. Well, it wasn't really a plan, more of an idea. It had the potential of becoming the best plan in the world. But Blaze needed some specifics hammered out first.

Smolder's relationship with Palm, wasn't exactly the best kept secret in the stronghold. Dragons Blaze would gossip with constantly talked about it, and speculated when the queen would take action.

Blaze never truly understood her mother's rule about her brothers being forbidden from having mates. The only reason the rule was made was to prevent more potential heirs right? So just prevent them from having dragonets. It seemed like a simple solution to Blaze, but when she asked mother about it, the queen wasn't... happy. "I understand you wouldn't get it. You think your brothers would just keep their word." "But they would!" Blaze had argued. "They wouldn't dare defy your orders." "I didn't become queen by trusting others! It's simply too risky." Blaze let it go after that, convincing my mother wasn't going to be possible.

Blaze had found out her oldest brother Scald was in love too, but didn't make any moves due to the order. The thought filled Blaze with dread, imagining being forced to stay away from Six-Claws. She couldn't believe how horrible Scald and Smolder must feel... If Blaze couldn't get rid of the rule, she could just help others break it. She made sure to get to know Palm too. Her working in the kitchens made the excuse to "accidentally" run into her even more convenient. Blaze had already made friends with Six-claws' sisters, Gila and Fennec (She had to get to know her future family after all). So she befriended Palm as well, the older dragon even showed her how to make the souffles she loved one time. (Blaze wasn't exactly a prodigy at baking either).

The plan was to eventually get Smolder and Palm out of here. So they could escape and live their lives together in peace. It was obvious what mother would do when (not if) she found out about them. At best, lifetime imprisonment for just Palm. At worst... death for both of them. She had tried to warn Smolder to tone it down in a Blaze-like way, asking if they could "stop cuddling all the time" or to "stop giving Palm gifts that looked terrible on her." But it was no use. Smolder was infatuated, and it was clouding his better judgement.

Blaze tended to ask herself why she was so dead set on keeping Smolder's relationship a secret. Its because if I help him he'll owe me. If they do have dragonets, they'll teach them to love and appreciate what I've done for them, making them useful in the future. Despite all of those claims in her head, Blaze knew in the back of her mind it was something different than that. Is it because I... care about them? Nonsense. I only really care about my future husband Six-Claws, and the beautiful dragonets we'll have together! Blaze could feel that was a lie too...

"Princess!" Blaze turned, snapping from her thoughts, it was Fennec. Her light brown scales glinted in the moonlight, with the occasional spots of black across her body. Blaze sometimes felt a pang of jealousy from how beautiful she was. Well I guess it's to be expected from Six-claws' sister. Fennec stopped in front of her and held out a glittering bracelet in her claws. "You left this back in the kitchen." She said so warmly it made Blaze want to smile back. Blaze stared at the jewlery for a moment before taking it. "Uh... thank you." Blaze responded eventually, looking back up at Fennec. "W-well you're lucky you returned this to me! If I realized it was missing I would've accused one of you kitchen servants of stealing it!"

Fennec's expression didn't change, if anything she looked more amused. "Princess... Blaze, you don't have to put on an act around me. I already know you're not who other dragons think you are." "You don't know me that well." Blaze looked away, her talons clasped around the bracelet held close to her chest. "Maybe... but I'd love to know more... if you'd let me." Blaze turned around completely and began walking away. "Yeah, well, don't bet on it."

***

"Mother, what did you do to become queen?" Blaze asked innocently. Oasis seemed slightly taken aback by the question, but answered anyway. "I killed my mother and my siblings, how anyone becomes queen." The two were looking out from a balcony extending from the queen's quarters. The view was always amazing, you could all the dragons down there handling their work, living their busy lives. "Well yes, I knew that... but I meant... killing your own family, your own mother couldn't have been that simple right? You must've had some hesitation about it, right? Oasis looked out into the rolling dunes of sand, her intense glare only seemed worsen after the question. "No." She answered simply.

Blaze's face fell, looking at her talons in disappointment. "It was so easy for me because... they made the rules clear from the beginning." Oasis continued suddenly. Blaze looked up at her mother, an expression she'd never seen before on her face. A small twinge of sadness on her usually stoic face. "I never had a good relationship with any of my family. I suppose we all knew that there was no point, when it was inevitable we'd fight each other."

The words felt like a spear driven through Blaze's heart. She loved her mother, she was the most amazing dragon in the world. It was hard to imagine Oasis not having a similar relationship. "Why?" Blaze almost jumped at her mother's sudden question. "You never ask me about things like this, why now?" "I... I well, I was just curious! No other reason!" Oasis turned her head towards Blaze for the first time in the conversation. "I understand a dragon like you might fail to... comprehend this violence and brutality. I doubt you were truly meant for this." Blaze grimaced slightly but said nothing. She took a deep breath, and asked a question she'd wanted to know for a while.

"Mother... would you miss me if I died?" The question seemed to truly throw Oasis off. The strong, confidence gleaming from her scales seemed to dull. "Blaze... I." She lowered her head slightly, the hesitation felt like another stab to the heart.

"My life... wouldn't be... as... interesting as it is... without you... and I believe you are a... good daughter." Oasis eventually finished, her discomfort clearly written on her face.

That, was the closest to an I love you Blaze would probably get. The princess felt her emotions beginning to build up inside her. An overwhelming happiness was causing tears to well up in her eyes. After a few moments, she couldn't hold it in anymore.

Blaze threw herself at her mother hugging the larger dragon tightly. She felt Oasis immediately tensed at the embrace. A few seconds later, Blaze felt a gentle claw on her back. It was by far the best feeling in the world. Like the sun was only shining on the two of them.

"Mother... I would never kill you." Blaze heard Oasis snicker in amusement.

"I know you wouldn't... Blaze."

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.6K 1.1K 62
Wings of Fire as medieval humans. Don't read if you know what's good for you. Written a long time ago. Terrible spelling, inconsistent style, plothol...
138K 1.6K 53
Darkstalker has been defeated, and Pyrria is finally at peace. (Somewhat.) Qibli invites Winter to come back to Jade Mountain Academy. But just when...
1.8K 18 51
This is about twenty or thirty years later after the event of arc.3 where pantala and pyrria have found a way to co-habit and animus magic came back...
115K 596 37
Cleril, Glorybringer, Ripnami, Starspeaker, Moonbli, and Turtlejou all go to Pryhhia Collage. What type of mysteries are they going to uncover? What...