Her cold, beating heart

Autorstwa Discombobulate12

Taking the newly trained hunter out for her first real world hunting experience, Eden was on edge, she'd had... Więcej

Chapter 1: Captured
Chapter 2: Ruthless Queen
Chapter 3: Dangerous games
Chapter 4: Consequences and rewards
Chapter 5: Mate - but for how long?
Chapter 7: Unexpected side effects
Chapter 8: Mate

Chapter 6: New found connections and resets

70 3 2
Autorstwa Discombobulate12

***A/N*****
What are we thinking? Loving any characters yet? Maybe hating some?
Let me know your thoughts.

Happy reading.

Until next time, your author, AJ

****CHAPTER****

Esme’s POV:

I am so angry at Ros, but I am also grateful that she got Eden when she did.

As Ros leaves us so Eden can get her injuries looked at, I can hear her muttering. “Eden is MY mate, if anyone should be there with her, it's me, I shouldn't be away from her. Stupid human, refusing my help to heal.”

I turn to Eden. “Did you refuse the queen's blood to heal Eden?” I ask gently.

“Don't do that.” She says. She takes in my confused expression and continues. “Before today, you refused to call me by my name because it annoyed me. I could use some annoyance and normality right about now.” She looks so small, so broken. But she refuses to be beaten. The little smile on her face as she looks up at me tells me that.

“Don't tell me what to do, plasma sack. The queen, you refused her blood to heal? No?” I ask.

I watch her wince as Rachel prods at her ribs before she responds.

“I don't need anything from her.”

I understand, I do. But it's stupid. Why suffer more when you can heal quickly?
I mull over my choices here, and i'm pretty sure the one I've landed on will piss Ros off more. All the more reason for me to suggest it, i guess?

“You know, I'm not royalty, and my blood doesn't contain the same healing components as the queen's would. But, if you take some of mine, it will at least make you feel a little more comfortable. Like a strong painkiller if you will.”

“Are you going soft on me, Esme?” She asks, smirking.

I scoff. “The faster you heal, the quicker I get to tease and bully you. I couldn't possibly do that with you injured. It'd be like kicking a puppy. it's bad enough i do it when you're at full strength. You humans are soooo weak.”

“Just because I can hardly breathe doesn't mean I won't verbally beat you down, Esme. Weak, i'll show you weak.” It seems that I successfully wound her up.

“You'll take my blood then?” I ask.

She sighs, looking down at her arm, her clearly broken arm.

“Esme is an old vampire. Her blood will help you greatly. Especially as we’re going to have to reset your wrist. And there's nothing we can do about your ribs. They'll take time to heal. That time will dramatically reduce with the aid of her blood.” I’m surprised at the care I can hear in Rachel's words. She's trying to help the human. I assume it has something to do with her being the queen's mate.

“OK. Will it taste foul?” She asks.

“How rude! I'll have you know that my blood tastes delectable, I've heard it from numerous sources.” I lift her chin so she looks me in the eye. “It won't taste good on the first swallow, but it will be significantly better on the second. I promise.”

Eden nods her head as I take a scalpel from Rachel's bag, running it across my forearm. I lift my arm to her mouth “drink.” She takes one final look at me and then wraps her lips around the cut and drinks.

Eden’s POV:

As I take the first gulp of Esme's blood, my face scrunches up in disgust. I try to pull back only to feel a strong hand on the back of my head, securing me in place. “A little more, it'll taste better, I promise.” Esme coos.
I trust her, nodding my head slightly and gulping my second mouthful. Suddenly, the metallic, coppery, slimy feel and taste of the blood is gone, replaced by a taste I can only describe as sweet. The taste causes me to let out a soft, hum. Wrapping my hands around Esme’s arm, I suck harder on the open wound. My teeth are biting down to help push the blood out faster.

“ah, ah, ah little one. Slow down.” Esme says, gently moving her arm back. I refuse to let go, biting harder and following her arm as it moves, a small growl leaving my throat. I don't know what's come over me, but I need more. The taste keeps getting better with each gulp.

“Eden, sweetheart, you have to stop. Too much will make you unwell. It’s not designed for humans to feast on. Come on, let go.” She gently pulls back some more. This time, I remove my mouth from her arm, letting her retreat back. I'm not stupid. She could've stopped me at any point. She's not as strong as the queen, but she could easily kill me if she so wished.

“That's it, good girl.” She makes eye contact with me as she licks her wound, I can see it start to close straight away. The fuzzy feeling in my head starts to clear, and I register what she just said. My face flushes red as I shove her “Shut up.”

“Oh, does someone like being called a good girl?” She questions teasingly.

“Don't think I didn't hear the little moan you let out when I bit down on your arm, Esme. Was that because it was me doing it? Or are you into a little bit of pain?” I return with the same teasing tone.

“Enough.” We both snap our heads to the door to see the queen standing there, clearly seething.

“Thank you for helping my mate Esme, but perhaps it's time you return to your quarters for the night? Allow Eden to rest now?” She asks. Although it's less of a request and more of a demand.

Esme looks at me and then stands to leave. “You will look after her?” She asks the queen, still looking at me.

“I am the queen, you do not ge..”

Before she can finish her sentence, Esme jumps in, turning her whole body to the queen, arms crossed over her chest. “You will look after her? Ensure no further harm comes to her?”

The queen's eyes flash bright red, and for a moment, I think all hell is about to break out. But to my relief, the queen takes a breath and responds.  “Yes commander, I understand my responsibilities as Eden's mate. I will ensure no further harm comes to her.”

“Good.” As she turns to look at me, I grab her arm again. “My wrist hasn't been reset yet.”

She smiles at me, turns her head to look at the queen, and then turns back. “Rosalind will sit with you. You can squeeze her hand if it hurts.”

I look at the queen, then back to Esme. “I can't.” I whisper.

“She takes my hand from her arm and squeezes it. “I know you trust me, and I hope you know I would never put you in harm's way. We are connected, you and I.” My eyes widen at this, Esme just laughs softly. “Not like that, not like you and Ros. I have a strong sense of loyalty to you. A protectiveness that I can not explain. So I ask that if you can not trust Ros, that you trust me when I say you are safe with her.” With that, she turns and leaves. Not without first whispering something in the Queen's ear, causing her to relax her stiffened posture and turn her gaze to the ground with a nod.

The Queens POV:

“You must be gentle, patient, and open with her, Ros. Do not make me a liar. I have put my trust in you where others wouldn't have. Especially after Lucian. Do not make me break her trust, I'm all she has right now. Until you make things right.” I drop my head to the floor, nodding. I feel so much shame for what I've done, and I can feel Eden's hesitance with me, her fear. It's weak, but I can feel it. That means she hasn't entirely blocked me out. There's still hope for me.

I walk slowly towards the bed, where Eden lays. “May I sit.” I ask. She looks up at me, a shocked expression on her face. I guess she expected me to do as I wanted.

“Yes.” She whispers.

“OK, this is going to hurt Eden, even with Esme's blood in your system.” Rachel glances at me before addressing me. “Your highness, I will do this as quick and as painless as I can. But she will be in a lot of pain for a short period of time. Know that I don't mean to cause her harm.”

Wise words. It irks me that her hands will be touching my mate at all, it's wise to warn me of the pain she will cause, if she didn't, she would likely be dead before the wrist is reset.
Ever since I accepted that Eden is MY mate, It has been hard to control myself around her. If anyone gets close to her or touches her, I want to murder them. Is this what the mate bond is meant to be like? Or is it because she's human?

“I’ll start now.” Rachel says.

I concentrate on Eden's face. She takes a deep breath in, nodding her head at Rachel. Then suddenly, her body tenses, and her face consorts into pain, eyes shut tightly. I want to hold her, but I don't want to make things worse by touching her. Just as I think this, I feel Eden's hand brace onto my bicep, squeezing tightly.

“You must relax, Eden. I can't manipulate it whilst you're tense. I will do more damage than good.”

“I'm trying, but it hurts so much.” She grits out between clenched teeth.

Rachel stops and shoots me a look as Eden relaxes. She wants me to do something, or to say something to relax her. What could I possibly do or say to her right now? I'm just thankful that she's let me stay in the room.

“OK, we'll try again. Just try and relax, Eden.” Rachel instructs.

Again, Eden tenses just like last time. Her hand squeezing my forearm this time. I look at Rachel, who motions to Eden with her head and eyes. She wants me to calm her down. How the hell am I going to do that?

I place my hand over hers “It’s OK, little bird, just breathe. Breathe for me, nice and deep.” I say. Much to my surprise, she relaxes a little. So I continue. I take her hand in mine and run my thumb across the back of it. “That's it, nice and deep. Relax your body.” She relaxes a little more as I turn my gaze back to Rachel, who shakes her head. It's not enough.

“I'm sorry, little bird, but I think this might do it. Be mad at me afterwards, but please forgive me.” With that, I cup her face, slowly moving mine towards her, my eyes on her lips the whole time. My lips are so close to hers i can almost taste them. But I can't let myself do it, not now, no matter how much I want to. But she must think I will. So I lick my lips tentatively. It is however short lived as I hear a crack, which is then followed by Eden abruptly pulling back and shouting in pain. I'm assuming her wrist has now been reset.

Rachel is cradling Eden's hand, wrapping it up as she talks to her. “Calm down, Eden, it's all done now. It's all done. I'd suggest consuming more of the commander's blood to get you through the night.”

I growl at the thought of Edens' lips on Esme again, causing both women in the room to look my way.

“Or, the queen's blood is much stronger. Now your wrist is reset. Her blood could heal you within a day or 2. Should the queen allow you such privileges.” Rachel, all but rushes out.

I ignore Rachel, turning my gaze to Eden, questioning if she'd drink my blood should I agree. She glances at me quickly, but it's enough that I can catch the scowl on her face as she shakes her head.

I do my best not to show my disappointment at my mate rejecting my help once again. Instead, I take a deep breath in as I do the one thing my whole body is begging me not to do.

“Esme, I know you can hear me. Would you consent to helping my m…. Eden with her pain management again.”

In the blink of an eye, Esme is standing beside me as I get myself off of the bed. She gives me a soft, encouraging smile. Huh, I must've done something right then tonight. She squeezes my shoulder as I go to exit the room. I halt in my tracks as I hear that angelic voice. Was it always this alluring?

“Thank you for allowing Esme back. It means a lot to me.” I nod my head as I finally exit the room.

Eden’s POV:

“So” Esme says as she hops on the bed. “Maybe not chow down on my arm so much this time. Let's not give Ros more of a reason to rip my head off than she already has, yeah?” She's cheerier than normal, and I can hear the dig she throws Ros’ way in her statement.

“Shut up, idiot. It just tasted sweet was all. It had nothing to do with you.”

Thankfully, I have more self-control this time and stop after a few mouthfuls of blood. She didn't even have to pry me off, I give myself a pat on the back for that. After Rachel leaves, it's just me and Esme sitting in the silence.

I can't seem to get out of my head, and surprisingly, I keep coming back to the same question.

“Why is the Queen suddenly so protective and jealous now? What changed?” I ask, breaking the still silence that surrounded us.

Esme shifts a little on the bed, getting more comfortable as she looks up at me.
“Well. No one has ever had a human mate, at least not that has ever been recorded, so I can only go on assumptions here. But, when you meet your mate, you can ignore the connection. You can part ways and live on happily. But, the more you are around your mate, the harder that is to do. That is until it's too late.” She places her hand atop mine.

“For royalty, this bond has always been stronger. What non Royal blooded vampires would have months to decide on, royals have meer days, sometimes hours. Or, on rare occasions, like with you and Ros, the connection can be instantaneous. You can try to fight it, but it's no good. The bond will win, or you will die.”

I choose to ignore the latter part of her statement for now and focus on what I know and want to know now “Is that why her eyes turn gold sometimes?”

Esme gives me a soft smile. “Yes, her body recognises its mate whether or not the mind accepts it. The gold is the soul reaching to connect to yours. When you both accept the bond and finally consummate it, the gold will stay in her eyes.”

“If.” I say. “If I accept her. I don't know if I can. I don't want to.” The anger builds in me, my words coming out stronger this time. “No, I don't want to at all.”

“Would you like me to continue? Or are you done for today?”

I think on it for a moment. I feel that I no longer care, but the question won't leave my mind. “Yes, what in the bond made it change?”

“Ros finally accepted that you were her mate when she came to see me in my cell. When a vampire accepts the bond, they feel things tenfold. If you are the strongest of the mates, you feel it so much more and in royalty. Well, you've seen how she is.
The need to protect, to stop any potential threats getting near your mate, to fight off anyone who thinks they can steal your mate from you. It's strong, near impossible to ignore, it will lessen when you both accept it and cons.... um, if you decide to, of course, consummate. Maybe. Um." She stumbles over her words, causing me to stiffle a giggle. She's trying, for me, bless her.

She clesrs her throat, ignoring me and continuing. "For Ros, that threat is very real. Any vampire within these walls could kill you in a heartbeat as you are merely a weak human. She can feel your connection withering, so the fear of losing you is real. She feels that anyone near you could potentially steal you from her. I am a particular threat right now, because we have a connection and a bond, more so than you and her do, even if it is platonic.”

“Yeah, who's fault is that?” I mutter out.

Esme laughs and pulls me into her, kissing my head. “She is trying. You have no idea what trusting me with you right now would be like for her. It's torture. But she did it for you.”

I pull back to look her in the eye, “Don't talk to me about tortur. Herr suffering is nowhere near enough.”

“Bad phrasing, I apologise.” I snuggle back into Esme and hum.

“Can you feel it?” She asks.

“Feel what?”

“Your connection to her? To me? Can you feel it like we do?” I feel Esme stiffen slightly as she asks. I'm not sure what she's expecting me to say, but I owe it to her to be honest.

“I can. I don't know if it feels the same as yours does. But, for you, it's like a string tethering me to you. That string seems to be getting stronger by the day, like it's turning into metal, harder to break. When you're around, when you're here, I can feel a warmth enveloping me. I feel safe. You're my safety. I don't know how I know, but I do know you'd never harm me, even if the queen ordered you to.” Esme's grip on me tightens as she relaxes.

“I feel the same, plasma sack. It makes little sense. Our bond should be connected to your bond to Ros. It was for a while, but it seems to be its own bond now.

How does your bond to Ros feel?”

I sigh deeply, nuzzling my head further into Esme's chest for comfort.
“It was much the same at the beginning. A string attached to her. I'd get thoughts and feelings that I couldn't explain. I'd get angry at her interacting with others. My body would betray my mind like it craved her even when I didn't want to be near her. It was fragile, even then”

“And now?” She gently prods.

“Now, I can still feel it, just. It's like that string is withered, barely hanging on by a thread, like one little gust of wind would break it. I. . .I can feel the choice is mine to make, I can break that string should I so wish. Something in me, though, deep, deep down won't let me. After everything she's done to me, even before, before THAT man I can't help but worry what would happen to her if I snapped it. She doesn't deserve my concern.”

“That's the mate bond. It's still there. I don't know what would happen if you broke it now. No vampire ever has. Once one of you accepts it, it ramps it up for the other, making it impossible not to accept it. I guess it's not the same for humans.”

“There's more.” I say, leaving the silence to hang in the air for a beat.

“I know things. Things I shouldn't know. Like, I know that if she doesn't feed from me, she won't feed at all and will eventually die, i know that if I break the bond, she will be OK to start with, but she'll slowly lose her mind and die.

I know that you are just as old as she is, that you aren't her daughter, but she saved you, she turned you. Only royal vampires can create vampires in this way. It's why you have that scar on your arm. It was there before she turned you.”

We're silent for a long time after this. I can feel my eyes getting heavy. Everything from the day has caught up with me. I guess I have some decisions to make, some thinking to do. That will all have to wait until tomorrow though, now, now I need to rest.

“Sleep now, Eden. I'm here, I'll be here when you wake. You're safe.” With a final kiss to my head, I'm out like a light.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

156 37 15
In a world where vampires and vampire hunters exist, Eden and Vivian find themselves drawn to each other despite the many obstacles that threaten to...
2.2K 159 21
"But at the same time that means leading you to potential danger. I don't want to lead you to any blood-sucking monster that way. I know you won't le...
17.6K 670 27
TEASER: "No fiancée of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...
12.8K 418 29
*****GIRLXGIRL***** Lea feels a connection to wolves. One wolf in particular. The one wolf with grey eyes that could be found in the woods behind her...