The Vines of Fate (Percy Jack...

By wingless_butterflies

Ivy Pittaluga had always made a solemn vow to keep her distance from Percy Jackson, determined to keep her wo... More

Characters and Mood Boards
Playlist
Prologue
Act I
I Fell Into A Hole
Five Is The New Magic Number
The Maze Is Alive
Lunch With The Goddess Of Marriage
The Great Escape From Alcatraz II
Deep In The Heart Of A Texas Ranch
We Learn To Make Better Promises
I Threw Grapes At A Ghost
Annabeth Wants Riddles
Mission Mount St. Helen
Seaweed Brain is a Seaweed Brain
I Almost Throttle Our Tour Guide
Percy Fights His Brother
I Vent And Call Him A Seaweed Brain
Quintus The Traitor
Daughter of Dionsyus
Glorious Cave Room Isn't So Glorious...Just Sad
The Battle
The End Of Summer
Act II
Percy Is Back
Cabin Inspections
We Need To Defend Olympus
Plan Twenty-three
Bridge Showdown
I Help Turn A Titan Into A Pretty Maple Tree
Party Ponies Crash The Battle In Style
I Help Hijack A Helicopter
The Spy And The Drakon
Hope Is Better At The Hearth
The Last Defense
Throne Room Battle
Council Awards
Camp's New Oracle
Night Swim
Act III
Time together
M.I.A.
The Guy With One Shoe
The Mist Can Be Mean
Piper Gets Fitted For A Weapon
Hera Is A Patron
Dinner Table Guest
Jason's Prophecy
Quest
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
Act IV
Seeing Him Again
Roman Feast
Roman Mob
Game Plan
Race Of The Horses
Advice From Bacchus
Vistors Crash Our Dinner
Midnight Adventure
Grounded
Buford The Table
Tea With Aphrodite
Grapes And Salt Water
Shrimpzilla Crashes The Cuddle Session
Breakfast Talks
Hercules
The Golden Warrior And His Dolphin Henchmen
When In Rome
Katoptris
Drowning In Bitter Water
The Wannabes
Colosseum Spectacle
Cliff Hanger
Act V
Welcome To Tartarus
Drinking Spicy Fire
We Got Spirit, How About You?
Tartarus Rest Stop: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Through The Darkness
The Curses
The Drakon-Killer
The Giant And The Titan
Business With Misery
Tourists Of The Underworld
Heart of Tartarus
Open The Doors
Escape
Above Ground
Goodbyes & Hellos
Act VI
Drowning Pancakes
Busted Pipes
Face Your Fears
Overboard
Giant Stone Lock
Evil Bundt Cake
Secret Tunnel
Watering The Stones
Father And Daughter
Dirt Face
Earth And Sky
After The Battle
Healing
Facts About The Book

Walking Through The Streets Of Rome

252 12 7
By wingless_butterflies

If it weren't for the circumstances we were currently in, wandering through Rome would've been cool. Percy and I held hands as we navigated through the city. Annabeth led in the front. I think it was helping her believe she was going there by herself like she was supposed to be.

We aimed for the Colosseum because that was an easy landmark, but getting there proved to be harder than we expected. Several times we got lost on dead-end streets. We found beautiful fountains and huge monuments by accident.

Annabeth commented on the architecture, trying to get her mind off of what was really ahead of her. Percy kept his eyes opened for any signs of attacks. I thought over the prophecy and my dream. The dream felt important to what was going to happen today, especially with the twin giants.

Finally we reached the Colosseum, where dozens of guys in cheap gladiator costumes were scuffling with the police-plastic swords versus batons. I had no idea what that was about, so I ignored it and continued walking. I focused more on keeping an eye out for monsters.

We made our way west, stopping every once in a while for directions to the river. Luckily, I knew enough Italian to communicate with the people in Rome and read the signs. I guess there is something good from growing up with my mom.

By noon, the heat was starting to get to me. I hadn't had anything to drink all day and all the walking around wasn't helping me with my thirst. Percy had pointed out a tourist shop with sodas. We didn't have any euros to buy something to drink.

Annabeth dug around in her backpack, brought out Daedalus's laptop, and typed in a few commands. A plastic card ejected out from the slot in the side. It looked like a credit card.

"International credit card." Annabeth waved it triumphantly.

"How did you-? No. Never mind. I don't want to know. Just keep being awesome." Percy said while I dragged them inside the shop.

"Italian sodas?" I asked them, plucking the card from Annabeth's grasp.

They both nodded. We each grabbed a bottle of Italian soda and paid for them. We continued toward the river. Luckily, the sodas helped quench my thirst. Sadly, it didn't help much with the heat. We were tired by the time we made it to the river.

The Tiber was wide, lazy, and caramel-colored. A few tall cyprus trees hung over the banks. The nearest bridge looked fairly new, made with iron girders, but right next to it stood a crumbling line of stone arches that stopped halfway down the river - ruins that might've been left over from the days of Caesars.

"This is it." Annabeth pointed at the old stone bridge. "I recognize that from the map. But what do we do now?"

"How do we get the attention of a river god with all these people around?" I asked.

"It's about lunchtime." Percy gestured to a nearby cafe with tables overlooking the water. "How about we try that magic credit card again?"

Even though it was noon, the place was empty. We picked a table outside by the river, and a waiter hurried over. He looked surprised to see us- especially when we said we wanted lunch.

"American?" He said with a pained smile.

"Yes." Annabeth said.

"And I'd love a pizza." Percy told him.

"Of course you would, signore." The waiter looked like he was trying to swallow a euro coin. "And let me guess, Coca-Cola? With ice?"

"Awesome." Percy looked like he didn't understand why the waiter held a sour expression.

Annabeth ordered a panini with a fizzy drink while I ordered a calzone with Italian soda. The waiter seemed to appreciate me talking in Italian and left with a small smile. Percy scowled, slouching in his chair and eyeing the waiter. I rolled my eyes and slipped my hand into his. A smile tugged at the corner of his lips.

"I think Italians eat a lot later in the day." Annabeth informed. "They don't put ice in their drinks."

"Wait, is that why you never really have ice in yours?" Percy looked at me.

"I grew up not having ice in my drinks." I shrugged. "But that could be it. My mom liked to keep our house as Italian as she could. We mostly made homemade Italian food. The pastas and pizza were the best."

"Talking about pizza. They only do pizza for tourists." Annabeth noted.

"Oh." Percy shrugged. "The best Italian food, end they don't even eat it?"

"You haven't tried Ossobuco alla Milanese. It's so good." I told them. "Next time I'm with your parents, I can cook it."

"Wait, next time?" Percy sat up and looked at me with a twinkle in his eyes. "You've been spending time with my mom and Paul?"

"She was going at least once a week since you've been missing." Annabeth said.

"I-thank you." Percy smiled gratefully, pulling me closer to him.

I blushed and nodded, not knowing how to respond. The three of us sat in silence as we got lost in our own thoughts. My mind went back to my dream. Nerves chewed at my stomach. The way Gaea mentioned Tartarus and falling rubbed me the wrong way. Biting my lip, I shook the thought out of my head. I was not going to let her get to me.

I glanced at Percy and saw his brows were furrowed. His eyes were staring at the river. I could almost see the shame and guilt swirling in his eyes. The only thing that I knew was bugging him like that was his fight with his half brother.

"You shouldn't feel ashamed." I told him. "You're thinking about Chrysaor, aren't you? Swords can't solve every problem. You saved us in the end."

"How do you do that?" Percy smiled at me. "You always know what I'm thinking."

"I know you." I said. "Percy, you can't carry the weight of this whole quest. It's impossible."

"There's a reason why there are eight of us." Annabeth added. "And the both of you have to let me search for the Athena Parthenos on my own."

"How did Seth take it?" Percy asked. "About the Mark of Athena."

"I know it's bothering him." Annabeth twirled her straw in her drink with a frown. "Being continents away from each other isn't helping either. But he's supportive and knows that I have to do this by myself. Hates it but understands. He'll appreciate you two walking me to it."

"What are friends for?" I reached over and gave her arm a comforting squeeze. "You were there for me when Percy was Hera-napped. I'm here for you for your quest."

"Talking about being good friends," Annabeth raised a brow at me, "what was up with you this morning?"

I gave her a look to drop it. Percy sat up in his chair and glanced at me with furrowed brows. A frown grew on his face when he read my expression. I averted my eyes to the table.

"Ivy...Was it a dream?" Percy assumed. I held back a wince and played with his fingers to avoid the question. "Ives..."

"Yes." I said in a small voice.

Annabeth and Percy exchanged nervous looks. Begrudgingly, I told them about my dream. Percy looked troubled. His hands trembled slightly. I peered up at him in concern.

"Why didn't you want to say anything?" Annabeth questioned.

"I didn't want you to worry about my dream with you going to find the statue." I admitted.

Annabeth went to open her mouth when the waiter came with our food. He looked much calmer than before. Having accepted the fact that we were Americans, he had apparently decided to treat us politely.

"It is a beautiful view." He said, nodding toward the river. "Enjoy, please."

Once he left, we ate in silence. I slowly ate my calzone, not really having much of an appetite. Percy ate his bland pizza, looking at it pitifully. I tore some of my calzone knot it held more flavor and gave it to him. He gave me a soft smile and took a bite. Percy pulled an impressed face as he took another bite.

"You two have to trust me." Annabeth stared at her panini. "You've got to believe I'll come back."

"Of course we believe in you." I told her.

"That's not the problem." Percy swallowed another bite. "But come back from where?"

The sound of a Vespa interrupted us. I looked along the riverfront to see an old fashioned model: big and baby blue. The driver was a guy in a silky gray suit. Behind him sat a younger woman with a headscarf, her hands around the man's waist. They weaved between cafe tables and puttered to a stop next to us.

"Why, hello." The man said.

He looked to be from a 1950s TV show by the way he talked and dressed. He stepped off his bike, his waistline of his slacks higher than normal. The man appeared to be in his thirties despite his old fashion dress wear. My mouth dropped in awe as I realized who it was: Gregory Peck.

"We've had the most lovely morning." The woman slid off the bike. She looked about twenty one, not that much older than us. She was also dressed in an old fashion style. Dressed in an ankled length Marion's skirt and white blouse with a large leather belt. When she removed her scarf, her short wavy black hair bounced into perfect shape it made me jealous. Not to mention is was Audrey Hepburn herself.

"Pinch me, because I must be dreaming." I muttered.

"Oh, gods." Annabeth dropped her sandwich. "How-how...?"

"You guys do look familiar." Percy decided, seeing our stargazed looks. "Are you that guy in Mad Men?"

"What?" I looked at him with wide eyes.

"Percy!" Annabeth said horrified.

"What?" Percy protested. "I don't watch a lot of TV."

"Obviously! I can't believe you don't know who they are." I shook my head.

"That's Gregory Peck!" Annabeth's eyes were wide, and her mouth kept falling open. "And...oh, gods! Audrey Hepburn! I know this movie. Roman Holiday. But that was from the 1950s. How-?"

"Oh, my dear." The woman twirled like an air spirit and sat down at our table. I sat closer to Percy to make more room as I stared at her star struck. "I'm afraid you've mistaken me for someone else! My name is Rhea Silvia. I was the mother to Romulus and Remus, thousands of years ago but you're so kind to think I look as young as the 1950s. And this is my husband..."

"Tiberinus." Gregory Peck held out his hand to Percy. "God of the River Tiber."

"Uh, hi." Percy shook his hand. "Do you two always look like American movie stars?"

"Do we?" Tiberinus frowned and studied his clothes. "I'm not sure, actually. The migration of the Western civilization goes both ways, you know. Rome affected the world, but the world also affects Rome. There does seem to be a lot of American influence lately. I've rather lost track over the centuries."

"Okay. But...you're here to help?" Percy asked.

"My naiads told me you three were here." Tiberinus cast his dark eyes toward Annabeth. "You have the map, my dear? And your letter of introduction?"

"Uh..." Annabeth handed him the letter and the disk of bronze. "S-so...you've helped other children of Athena with this quest?"

"Oh, my dear!" Rhea put a hand on Annabeth's shoulders. "Tiberinus is ever so helpful. He saved my children Romulus and Remus, you know, and brought them to the wolf goddess Lupa. Later, when that old king Numen tried to kill me, Tiberinus took pity on me and made me his wife. I've been ruling the river kingdom at his side ever since. He's just dreamy!"

"Thank you, my dear." Tiberinus said with a wry smile. "And, yes, Annabeth Chase, I've helped many of your siblings...to at least begin their journey safely. A shame all of them died painfully later on. Well, your documents seem in order. We should get going. The Mark of Athena awaits!"

"Can you let us go a little further with her?" I hoped, scared to let my best friend go by herself.

"But you can't." Rhea sweetly said. "You must return to your ship and gather your other friends. Confront the giants! Ivy Pittaluga, beware the twins for they have something planned for you. The way will appear in your friend Piper's knife. Annabeth has a different path. She must walk alone."

The calzone in my stomach felt like it was weighing me down. She wasn't the first to bring that up.

"Indeed." Tiberinus said. "Annabeth must face the guardian of the shrine by herself. It is the only way. And Percy Jackson, you have less time than you realized to rescue your friend in the jar. You must hurry."

Dread pooled in my stomach. I looked at my best friend, biting back the fear of letting her walk alone. Annabeth must've seen our expressions. She gave us a weak smile.

"It's all right, guys." Annabeth reassured us. "I need to do this."

I wanted to protest, but the expression she wore made me stop. She looked terrified and was trying her best to hide it for us. The Athena statue held the key to defeating the giants. Annabeth had to be the one to find it.

"You got this." I gave her an encouraging nod.

"Yeah." Percy agreed. "Be safe."

"Safe? Not at all!" Renea giggled like it was a ridiculous comment. My stomach churned. "Come, Annabeth, my dear. We will show you where your path starts. After that, you're on your own."

Annabeth gave us a smile. She shouldered her backpack and climbed in the back of the scooter. I held Percy's hand tightly as we watched our best friend motor off through the streets of Rome with Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn.

It's going to start taking dark turns from here guys so buckle up!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

446K 9.2K 48
✅ completed 👌 The full moon slave with the unbreakable curse, Shall returns and the family will divert. Vengeance and hatred he shall seek to pay, O...
3.8K 94 28
❛As the sun kissed the sea...their bodies melted into each other's❜ A story in which two troubled souls find safety in each other. Andromeda 'Andie'...
22.5K 621 69
Book One Y/n L/n isn't like most demigods. Being a daughter of Poseidon makes her an outcast, especially since the Big Three swore to never have chil...
1.6K 75 15
Rhea Harroway is not a hero. Heroes don't live their lives with an unknown heritage. So Rhea makes her peace with spending an eternity in Cabin 11 a...