Shattered (A Jack Johnson Fan...

By _saraxoxo7

17 year old Hailey Adams just moved from her home in New York to a small town in the middle of Nebraska calle... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Quick A/N
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27

Chapter 15

2.9K 88 25
By _saraxoxo7

Hailey's P.O.V:

"Varsity and junior varsity basketball tryouts tomorrow after school in the Old Gym." Jack read the sign for me as we walked past it.

"Yeah, so what?" I asked.

Jack gave me an exasperated look.

"Come on! Try out!" He said.

I sighed.

"I don't know, Jack. I don't even know anyone and I'll probably get made fun of or something."

Jack stared at me.

"You're the one telling me not to care about what anybody thinks of you...and now you're scared of being made fun of?"

My cheeks grew hot.

"Yeah, you're right."

"So? Are you gonna try out?" Jack pressed.

I thought about all the good times I had on my old basketball team: the trips we took, the wins, the pizza parties.

"Yeah. I guess I'll try out." I reluctantly said.

Jack grinned.

"Good. Does this mean I can come to your games?"

We entered the cafeteria and we sat down at our usual table.

"If I make it."

*
The day passed and soon it was tomorrow after school. I had told my mom that I was going to try out for basketball and I had packed my clothes to try out in and my basketball socks and shoes. I also took the day off work so I could stay after school.

I changed into my clothes in the locker room, put my hair into a ponytail, and then headed into the gym.

Some girls were already there, dribbling and shooting.  I stood there awkwardly for a minute or two, then I grabbed a basketball from the crate and dribbled it over to the closest net and shot it in.  It made it in, of course. 

I looked around me.  More girls had come in, and now they were all staring at me.  My face burned and I quickly walked away from the net, my ball under my arm.

Suddenly, I heard laughter.  I looked and saw two more girls enter the gym.  One had blond hair and the other had brown hair. They were really pretty. (see picture)

The one with the brown hair locked eyes with me and her and the blond started walking over to me.

Great.

I pretended to be fascinated with my dark purple painted nails.  

"Hi."  I heard a voice say.  I looked up from my fingers to see the two girls standing in front of me, the other girls watching from afar. 

"Oh, hey."  I answered.

The brown haired girl tucked a flyway from her ponytail behind her ear.

"I'm Mallory, and this is my friend Leigh."

I nodded.  

"Are you new to this school?" Mallory asked me.

I nodded again.

"Well, not technically new, condsidering it's almost April and I've been here since the beginning of the year." I clenched my jaw shut after I said that.  I have to stop talking sometimes. 

Mallory looked at Leigh, then shot me a disapproving glare. 

"What's your name?"

I swallowed hard.

"Hailey.  Hailey Adams."

"Well, Hailey Adams, I-we-just wanted to let you know that Leigh and I are two of the best senior players on this team...and we aren't going to let a new girl ruin our chances at a college scholarship or something else major."  Mallory said now.

"Yeah, okay."  I said.

Mallory came close to my face and I could smell her mint gum and fruity lip gloss.

"Don't get in my way.  Or you'll regret it."  She said quietly that I thought I was the only person who could hear it.

"Got it?"

"Yeah.  Got it." I answered.

Mallory backed away and smiled.

"Great!  Glad we're on the same page."

"Mallory, are you bothering Miss Adams?" A male voice boomed.

Mallory turned and her long ponytail whacked me in the face. 

"No, Coach Philips, I was just welcoming Hailey to the team."  She replied, her voice dripping with fakeness. 

I looked at the coach.  He was extremely tall with curly dark brown hair and scruff.  He was holding a clipboard and a whistle was around his neck.

"Okay, Mallory.  Girls, gather around.  I'm gonna tell you who's cleared."

He read off a list of names and only three girls still had to be cleared.

"Okay, so this is the only tryout day.  If I give you a call tonight, that means you made the team. Uh, what else....oh, call me Coach.  Now, let's warm up."

We jogged a lap around the gym, then did a lot of drills for dribbling and shooting.  After that, we had a scrimmage, then got a water break and we were done.  I think I did prety good, and by the way Mallory and Leigh looked at me, I think that they thought so too. 

As I grabbed my stuff and started to go into the locker room, I heard someone calling my name.

"Hey!  Adams!"

I turned and saw Coach Philips standing at the entrance to the gym.

"Oh, hey Coach.  Is something wrong?"

He shook his head.

"No. I just wanted to compliment you on your playing today.  You have amazing skills and speed.  Where did you say you moved from?"

"Queens, New York."

"And what school?"

"Mead Hill Prep."

Coach Philips nodded.

"Wow.  Well, you're amazing.  You have potentential and you could be a real asset to this team."  

I blushed.

"Thank you."

He smiled slightly.

"I'll let you know the results this evening." 

I waved goodbye and headed into the locker room, feeling very satisfied with myself.

                                                                                       *

I drove myself home in my new car.  I'd passed the driving test with flashing colors and gotten my driver's license a week or so ago.

I  went into the house and saw that my mom wasn't home yet, she would probably be home around 7.

I did my homework, then went up to my room to call Jack.

I dialed his number and held the phone to my ear, waiting for him to answer.

"Hello?"  I heard his voice on the other end.  To my shock, my heart sped up a little bit when I heard it.

"Hi, Jack."

"Hey, Hailey.  How did tryouts go?" He asked.

I told him all about the tryouts and what Mallory said to me.

"You just met Mallory Thompson and her acomplice Leigh Linquist. Mallory is the meanest, most evil girl in school.  You mess with her, it's goodbye for you."

"Oh god, really?"

"Yep. Leigh dated Gilinsky last year.  He cheated on her, she found out...boom, everyone's favorite relationship ruined." Jack told me.

"Wow.  I kinda feel bad for him."  I said.

"Don't be.  He made out with plently of other girls while they were dating.  She still doesn't know that part."

"How do you know all of this?"  I asked Jack.

"Word gets around.  Just because I'm a depressed, quiet loser, doesn't mean I don't know the latest gossip."

I laughed, then stopped myself.

"Jack, you're not a loser.  You're the greatest person I've ever met."  

Jack didn't answer.

"Has Gilinsky been saying stuff to you again?"

"Yeah."  Jack answered softly.

I sighed.

"You need to start pushing his hurtful words away, Jack.  You can't believe him." 

"But it's true!"  Jack said.

"No, it's not! Nothing he says to you is true.  Now, would you rather take his word...or mine?"  

"Yours."  Jack mumbled.

"That's better."  I said.  Just then, my phone beeped, signaling that another call was coming in.

I took the phone away from my ear to see who else was calling me.  It was the school's number.  

"Jack, hold on...I think the basketball coach is calling me."

I hung up with him and pressed accept for the other call.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Hailey, it's Coach Philips.  I just wanted to say congratulations because you've made the team."

I smiled, even though he couldn' t see me.

"Thank you so much, Coach! I won't disppoint you, I promise!"

"I doubt that you will.  Practice is every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 2:15 to 4:00 in the gym we were in for tryouts.  I'll give out a game schedule tomorrow."

"Okay.  Thanks again."

"No, thank you.  Have a good rest of your night."  Then we hung up.

I was still grinning as I went onto messages to text Jack.

I made the team!!!!

I lay flat on my bed, staring up at my ceiling, still smiling. 

A couple minutes later, my phone buzzed.  I sat up and saw it was Jack's reply.

Awesome, I'm really proud of you:) 

                                    ************************

Jack's P.O.V: 

I sat on the bathroom floor, the razor next to me.  Both my wrists stung.  I stared down at the many slashes I'd just made after Hailey hung up with me.  Blood poured out of them, and I felt a tiny bit weak. Maybe I cut too hard. 

 I closed my eyes tightly.  I shouldn't have done that.  I was surprised my mom didn't check my drawers after she threw out my old razor.  I shouldn't have even went out and bought a  new one. But Gilinsky's words hurt extra bad today, and I just...needed something to take my mind off it.  Hailey was a big help, but everytime I wasn't talking to her or I wasn't around her, it took everything in me not to cut myself.  But this time, I lost control.

Just then, my phone went off and I winced as I grabbed it to see who it was.

I made the team!!!!  Hailey's text read.

I bit my lip as I tried not to get blood on my keypad as I typed back.

Awesome, I'm really proud of you:)

I set my phone down again and leaned my head against the closed door.

I shut my eyes again and thought of Hailey.  Her bright blue eyes, Her light blond hair, her slight smile.  Her sweet voice telling me not to give in to Gilinsky and to stay strong, and that if I ever needed to talk to someone, she was here.  

She distracted me from everything.  From Gilinsky, from my grief about my brother and my dad, and she made my heart race.  When I was with her, I forgot about absolutely everything.  She was my main focus.

I drew in a sharp breath now.

I think I was starting to like her as more than a friend. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

139K 2.6K 34
About a girl who has a rough time during high school and four boys fix that but one boy in particular (2014)
102K 779 41
Riley Sharp was an ordinary girl. She moved to her aunts house in Omaha, Nebraska and befriended a lot of people, one of which was Jack Gilinsky. Jac...
208 42 6
"You should care, Dylan. You would still be living in the back of a car, stealing from Seven Eleven! Is that what you want?" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...
1.5K 13 41
Kennedy was her name. She moved to Omaha Nebraska when her dad passed. She was lost. Alone. Afraid. Afraid? Yes she was afraid to love because she wa...