The Rift Trials

By BeyondWriting01

When man becomes too powerful for his own good the results can be catastrophic. That's what happened during t... More

Chapter 1: Earth
Chapter 2: Dreailight
Chapter 3: Earth
Chapter 4: Dreailight
Chapter 6: Dreailight
Chapter 7: Earth

Chapter 5: Earth

110 4 3
By BeyondWriting01

The picture above it a concept for Lydia - thanks to Pinterest -

Recap:  The explosion releasing the blue mist and dust, Ara's mom died in her arms, a box was found that lit up upon their touching it, and they are now headed back to Lydia's home as Ara it left without parents, only her father remains in question as he was in the city when the explosion happened.

~ not edited

Lydia walked through the gaping hole in their wall that lead to the living room, her father and mother were both talking in the kitchen, her mother making a soup on the stove. Ara  followed her through, she noticed the smell that drifted through the air tingling her senses, "red lentil?" She said questioning her own judgement. The smell was sweet with a tinge of saltiness from the bacon.

Lydia took a deep breath through her nose, the sensation causing her mouth to water. "I think you're right!" She replied hurrying into the kitchen, "we're back!"

Her mom and dad turned to see them, their faces instantly lit up with joy, but something was off. Lydia only showed her questioning thoughts for moments before she caught herself. She stepped forwards into their loving arms. "That's it," she thought, "their arms, their veins are a fading blue color, the same as the falling dust outside."

"We're so glad to see you're safe, both of you." Her mom said happily, although her voice cracked in worry, but only so slight. Ara however, picked up on it, the father had exchanged looks with His wife the moment her voice cracked, that alone gave off enough that something was nagging at their hearts. She places the box down on a chair beside her and walked over to Lydia's parents giving them both a hug. They were like parents to her, a second home to come to, now more than ever she felt she needed them. Her usual masked emotions suddenly erupted causing tears to come streaming down, she squeezed tighter onto Cassia, Lydia's mom.

Cassia looked wide eyed at Lydia for the source of Ara's turmoil.

"Honey, what's wrong? Where's your mo..." She stopped herself noticing Lydia's warning, she then mouthed the words "her mother is dead," towards her mom. The disbelief and sorrow showed in her eyes, she had been a close friend to her mother, all of them, both family's were very much so.

"Ara!" She breathed out, "I'm so sorry!" Michael bowed his head hiding the tears in his eyes.

Ara looked up into Cassias eyes, "being sorry won't bring her back."

Cassia only squeezed tighter, her own tears now beginning to fall. "You know you are welcome to stay here, please stay, we are your family."

"Thank you." Ara whispered before breaking away wiping the tears from her face. Looking to Lydia she smiled who smiled back.

"Well, I think it's time for all of us to get some food inside us." Cassia said nodding to her husband who began to fill each bowl with the soup. "Feel free to eat anywhere, just stay here...don't go outside." The last three word were said with fear and warning, she walked away taking two of the bowls Michael had filled, walking back she handed a bowl to each of them, "here you are," she said with a smile, she turned to Lydia, "your father and I need to talk about something, you two mind going to the other room?"

"Um, sure mom." Lydia replied while hesitantly taking the bowl.

"We three can talk later." Cassia turned away following Michael into the dining room.

Ara quickly raised her eyebrows at Lydia, her tear stained face wanting answers. Lydia tilted her head to the right, "common, we can eat in my room," she stopped and thought for a moment, "our room actually." She said smiling and walked upstairs. "Wait! Can you carry my bowl? I'm going to bring this box up."

"Yep, I'll meet you up there."

"Thanks." She grasped the Box with both hands, the letters instantly began to show again. She smiled warmly, this was the only remaining memory of her mother, the last thing she had told her to do. "All my questions, this box must contain those answers." A tear ran down her face falling upon the glowing letters, a slight sizzle could be heard as it did. Ara snapped out of her temporary trance and walked upstairs where Lydia waited. She entered the room, Lydia sat on the floor beside her bed holding her bowl, Ara's was placed beside her. "You want me to close the door?"

"Yes." She said in a deep sigh, "We can sit on the bed if you'd like."

"Anything is fine," Ara leaned down crossing her legs as she sat, "just as long as we're together." Lydia smiled taking a spoonful of soup.

Are picked her bowl beginning to eat, she quickly found she was much hungrier than she relished and soon finished. She instinctively held her stomach rubbing it slightly before placing her bowl beside her. "Hey Lyda."

"Mhmm?" She mumbled through a mouthful of soup.

"I couldn't help but notice."

Lydia coughed a little, swallowed her last spoonful, and placed the bowl down. She wiped her mouth with here sleeve then turned towards Ara. "I was hoping I was wrong, but you seeing them too only confirmed my original thoughts."

"And what were those? Your thoughts."

"I'm still hoping I'm wrong, but the blue mist outside makes it hard to not notice."

"Wait, I only noticed your mom and dads fear, it was as if they were hiding something from us."

"That too but I noticed my moms arms, her veins were a shade of blue, a shade much like that dust outside. We still don't even now what it is, with most electronics down we can't get to media about it."

"Don't you have that old radio?"

Lydia's eyes widened, "you're right! OMG, you're totally right!" She said jumping up and running over to her dresser. Opening her drawer she dug through her clothes until she felt that familiar, scratchy leather box. She smiled placing both hands on it brining it out. "Here it is."

Ara stood and ran over looking in. "Still can't believe I remembered, it been years since we used this."

Lydia opened the lock and grabbed the small radio out. It's color was worn with use leaving the brown shel cracked and scuffed. The dials around it were black with grey scratches.

"Hope it still works." She said turning the dial.

It beeped once then made white noise, a small voice of a man struggled to come through, the channels were clashing together. "Common, work." She turned the dials trying to lock onto the mans voice, "you wanna grab a pen and paper?"

KSHHH* "Alert! This is a code ten, refrain from outdoors use, the dust has been confirmed as radiation in its physical form." KSHHH*
"Adults no younger than" KSHHH* "you are safe in" KSHHH* "The portal... This afternoon but lost control." KSHHH*

*click*

"No!" Lydia yelled hitting it, attempting to gain it's signal again. "Common, turn on!"

"So... A portal. Is that really what they are trying to sell us? That a portal exploded or something? Because honestly that's the stupidest attempt I've ever heard."

Lydia was focused on gaining the radios signal once more as Ara continued on about the portal idea, neither noticed the rumble far in the distance, a movement in the stillness outside. Everyone was inside gaining their composure, none wanted to walk among the falling dust under an artificial blue sky.

Suddenly a yell broke both of their concentration, a yell for help outside, a young voice of a man. Lydia turned and ran to the window leaving the radio in her dresser. Ara instantly stopped ranting and followed her.

"It's Nikita, but why would he be screaming?"

"Who's that he's holding?" Lydia questioned. They were both close friends of his, Ara more so than she. He was 19, about to be twenty, and was the build of a fit and toned body. He was an adventurer, always posting something new about his travels around the world, this was just his usual home away from traveling over the summer.

"His dad?"

"Oh know!" Lydia whispered, her voice wavering under the realization. "Look at his fathers face." Ara ran from the window and hurried down the stairs.

"Ara! We're not supposed to... Ugh!" Frustrated, she hurried to follow.

Ara ran through the hole in the wall. Nikita was in the middle of the street carrying his father, the outdoor air was filled with blue only less than before, she turned to the right hearing a slight rumble, two headlights could hazily be seen far down the street. She hurried across the road over to Nikita.

"Ara!" He said relived. His father was now on the ground where he had placed him, his face pale with dark blue veins showing through his skin. He opened his arms for Ara, she slowed and gently hugged him.

"You're okay." He said.

She broke away. "But what of your father? What happened?"

He turned towards his father wiping a tear away as he did, "I'm not sure Ara, it just happened. I came downstairs and saw him like this."

"Ara!" Lydia yelled from behind. She turned but was unready for the sight.

Lydia's face was tear stained and remorseful, she racked with each sob. "Ara," she could barely said by the pain of her sorrow.

"Lydia?" Ara said running back. As she ran she motioned for Nikita to follow. Lydia had already walked back inside, out of view as she ran. "

"Lydia!" She yelled stepping through the hole onto the derby filled room. She listened for a reply but only heard sobbing. Following the sound she came to the dining room. Lydia was there on the floor beside the table, her parents were no where to be seen.

"Here." Lydia sobbed turning to Ara.

Then she saw it, two bodies were on the floor, pale faces and dark blue veins, Lydia's parents.

"No!" She whispered and ran forward to Lydia, she hugged her tightly as she had done with her not too long ago. Lydia was racking by her sobs, she tears pouring down, her hands grasped tightly to her friends comforting across her chest.

Nikita entered the room after placing his father down, his eyes were sad and tearful, his hands were covered in the blue mist as were the tops of his clothes and hair.

Ara turned to him, still holding onto her trembling friend.

"What's happening!?"

~
I do hope you enjoyed this one ;) As always id love to know if you enjoyed this chapter and if you really did then vote!

This will probably be the shortest ( or one of ) for this book. I really do want you all to like it so if you don't let me know.

You ALL are the best followers I could ever have! I was sure some of you were going to leave but you surprised me as stayed in there!

Thank you all!

Until next time ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.2K 1.2K 77
"I've lost everything, my home, my parents, and my brother is missing. All I have left is this spear, my mother's necklace, and an old hair pin...
10.5K 531 59
The Trials are not over. The true Trials have only just begun. Aurora survived phase one of the King Trials. She emerged alive but scathed, new tests...
1.1K 154 12
Sienna Diaz has lived the life of a nameless face, a retreater from threats, and a thief of lives. Every time she lights a match, she is transported...
67.5K 2.9K 29
Warning: This story is for mature audiences only. It contains language and scenes that would get this story rated R if it was a movie. It is also RH...