EHSAAS - A Collection Of Shor...

By talesandpages

"Ehsaas" means "feelings," and that's what you'll get with every page of these Indian stories. A country wher... More

Note
Character aesthetics
║ ᴄʜʜᴀʏᴀ ⁠║
1.
2.
3
4.
5.
7
8
9
10

6

717 53 12
By talesandpages

MEERA'S POV

When I reached the coffee bytes Priya was already there waiting for me. She hugged me with the sweetest smile ever.

"So, how's life going?",she asked. This is how friends talk when they meet after a long loong time.

I smiled and said,"It's going great".
Oh! how great it is going!

"By the way, you mentioned on the call that you needed my help. What's the matter?"

I put that phone across the table and said,"it's not working. And I really need it. Can you please help me with this?"

"It's such an old model. Why would you need it?",she questioned. I didn't answer to that question. Priya took a brief look at that phone and said,"it might take a few days. It's a hardware issue and I also feel it might be locked"

Few days?

itne din intezaar kiya, kuch din or sahi.

I sighed and asked,"what are you planning to do after college?". She looked at me said,"I am leaving this country"

"Leaving? Where? When and why?",I was surprised with her revelation. She looked at me and said,"I don't like this place anymore. Moreover I am missing Bhai. I'd probably help him in his business or travel for some time. But I am not staying here that's for sure"

It felt like she made up her mind. We chatted for a bit long then I left for a place called home.

The sun was sinking, painting the sky in warm hues as I strolled through the park. Children's laughter danced on the breeze, carrying the murmur of conversations. It was a welcome change, a breath of fresh air after being cooped up in that jailed apartment.

I wandered for a while, the sun's warmth seeping into my bones, and then found a vacant bench, settling down to watch the world go by.

An elderly woman, her silver hair catching the golden light, caught my eye as she chased a giggling boy, presumably her grandson. Her playful pursuit soon turned into a gentle jog, and finally, she plopped down next to me, a smile crinkling the corners of her eyes.

"yeh bachhe bhi na, itni uchal kood karte hai"  she said to me while looking at his grandson. I smiled while listening to her words.
(These kids are always jumping around)

"nai nai shadi hai?"
(Are you newly married ?) ,she asked after looking at my face. I nodded and said,"apko kaise pata?"
(How do you know?)

"chehre ka noor sab bata hi deta hai",she said while smiling. I think she was remembering the time when she got married.
(Your face is glowing differently)

I chatted with her for a while ,she was very sweet and seeing her all I could remember was my mother,

As I was about to leave the park, I noticed a familiar figure. Virat, his features tense and voice sharp through the phone, stepped out of his car. He seemed agitated, his body language radiating frustration. Without breaking stride, he marched towards the private elevator leading to our apartments. The sight sent a shiver down my spine, leaving me curious and slightly uneasy about what might be unfolding back home.

"Dekho to kese sar uncha kar ke ja rha hai, isne to sharam-laj bilkul bech khai hai" She said while looking at him with pure disgust

(Look at him walking with his head held high, he has no shame or decency left)

I got curious and asked her "kyun? Esa kya kar diya inhone?
(why? What did he do?)

She looked at me with disbelief "are beta, tumhe nhi pata kya kiya isne! Iske charche to puri building me chalte h! Ye aadmi apni biwi ko mara karta tha, uske shareer par hamesha jakhmo ke nishaan hua karte the"

(Don't you know what he did? Everyone in the building knows about it! This man used to beat his wife, we saw many scars on her body.")

Her words shattered me, each syllable landing like a blow to my chest. Virat? The thought was unthinkable.

The lady looked at me for a brief moment and continued "aae din inke ghar se chillane ke aawazein aati thi, bohot ladai krte the ye dono. aksar wo mere paas baith kar roti thi or ek din isse pareshaan hoke chali gai wo. Bacha liya bhagwan ne use is shaitan se."

(They fought constantly. She would often come to me, tears streaming down her face. Finally, one day, she couldn't take it anymore. She left. Thank God she escaped that monster)

She stood up from her seat and said "chalo beta ab me chalti hu, mere bete ke ane ka samay hi gya h."

(Okay beta, I'm going now. It's time for my son to come)

The goodbye hung heavy in the air as I walked away, her words swirling in my head like a whirlwind. Could they be true? Virat wouldn't do that, would he? But then, what drove Heer to leave? The unanswered question gnawed at me, leaving me with a growing sense of unease.

Reaching my apartment, I opened the door and entered, the memories of her words still swirling in my head. I freshened up and changed my clothes, but the first thing I did was message Priya to know about the progress.

MEERA: Any progress?

Putting my phone aside, I turned to leave when a notification popped up.

PRIYA : Not much, I'm trying but I think it will take some time. I'll update you don't worry.

Disappointment settled in. I thought Priya could do it in a couple of minutes, but it seems I'll have to wait.

I tried to study, hoping to keep my mind off those unsettling words. No matter how hard I focused, though, the woman's voice echoed in my head: "Are beta, he used to beat his wife."

How could he do this to her? She loved him with every fiber of her being, and that's what he gave her in return.

But he hadn't ever hurt me, let alone raised his voice. He's always been gentle with me, never spoken to me in a loud voice. Could there be more to the story? Could there be another explanation?

Torn between the whispers of others and his gentle actions, I didn't know what to believe.

Fuming with frustration, I decided the only one who could offer the truth I desperately needed was him.

Her accusation echoed in my head, gnawing at my peace. I bolted from my desk, desperate to confront him. My frantic search resulted in nothing but silence until, like a moth drawn to a flame, I found myself drawn to the light spilling from his study door.

With shaky steps, I approached his study. But as I was about to knock, a wave of uncertainty crashed over me. What are you doing, Meera? Are you insane? What will you even say to him?

Keeping all the thoughts aside I knocked on the door

*KNOCK KNOCK*

I knocked again, silence the only answer. Hesitantly, I pushed open the door. Papers lay scattered on his desk, chaos amidst the usual order. His phone vibrated insistently beside them, buzzing like an angry hornet.

Curiosity, laced with suspicion, drew me closer. I reached for the phone, and as I did, the world beneath me seemed to crumble. Frozen, I stared at the screen, each word an intense blow:

KIRTHY : I can never forget the time we spent together, the memories we share. You're more than just special to me, you're the person I love and want by my side, always. I love you, Virat!

The words swam before my eyes, each word a shard of betrayal piercing my soul. With trembling hands, I placed the phone back on the desk, the weight of it heavier than I could bear. My legs, like leaden chains, carried me out of the study, every step echoing the shattering of my trust.

Reaching my bedroom, I collapsed onto the bed, a sob escaping my lips before erupting into a torrent of tears. My body wracked with each ragged breath, I lay there, adrift in a sea of misery.

My mind reeled from disbelief. Virat, the man I held on a pedestal, the man whose integrity I believed in, could do this? Not just brutally abuse my sister, not just cheat on her with lies and deceit, but now...me?

Could that be why he remained locked away in his study, his sanctuary away from prying eyes? Was it pity and obligation, a loveless bargain struck under pressure, that led him to marry me? The thought sent a fresh wave of pain crashing over me.

Is that the reason why he told me to reduce my expectations to zero from this marriage? I feel like a prisoner in this house living a caged life suffocating everyday.

As I was drowning in the ocean of my thoughts I heard a knock on the door and then he entered the bedroom with a tray of food in his hand.

Take care ✿

-Aastha

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

150K 5.1K 23
This book is going to contain some short stories. Please do give it a try It will be worth it. (Request closed) Story cover by:- @jasmine0786. Thank...
46.4K 2.8K 23
HE WAS A MAN WHO NEVER TALKED MUCH , AND SHE WAS A GIRL WHO OVERTHINKS ALOT!! "I have never been an observer or a person who notices small things. Bu...
469K 18K 45
Love happens when we least expect it and sometimes its always been there but its us who dont realize it. It's a story about such two people who becam...
147K 9.7K 22
When you are in high school the Indian society don't expect you to date and definitely not lose your virginity or get pregnant. That doesn't happens...