Sweater Weather ๛ Edward Cull...

By NovaWayne

sᴡᴇᴀᴛᴇʀ ᴡᴇᴀᴛʜᴇʀ 𖦆 Devon is often described as a problem boy. He always gets hit in the face and has a folde... More

sᴡᴇᴀᴛᴇʀ ᴡᴇᴀᴛʜᴇʀ
❨ 001 ❩
❨ 002 ❩
❨ 003 ❩
❨ 004 ❩
❨ 005 ❩
❨ 006 ❩
❨ 007 ❩
❨ 008 ❩
❨ 009 ❩
❨ 010 ❩
❨ 011 ❩
❨ 012 ❩
❨ 013 ❩
❨ 014 ❩
❨ 015 ❩
❨ 016 ❩
❨ 017 ❩
❨ 018 ❩
❨ 019 ❩
❨ 020 ❩
❨ 021 ❩
❨ 022 ❩
❨ special chapter ❩
❨ 023 ❩
❨ 025 ❩
❨ 026 ❩
❨ 027 ❩
❨ 028 ❩
❨ 029 ❩
❨ 030 ❩
❨ 031 ❩
❨ 032 ❩
❨ 033 ❩
❨ 034 ❩
❨ 035 ❩
thanks!

❨ 024 ❩

1.8K 60 6
By NovaWayne

୨ ♡ ୧

Devon sank into his bed after the family dinner his mother had organized in an attempt to strengthen family bonds, or so she said. He placed both hands behind his head and stared at the ceiling. He couldn't help but think about certain things, mainly revolving around Ronan and Edward.

A little over two weeks ago, he had a long conversation with Ronan where he explicitly stated he wasn't looking for anything serious, not interested in any kind of relationship. He asked Devon if he was okay with just spending time together, sharing some kisses, caresses, and maybe more if the moment arose. Essentially, something akin to friends with benefits.

Devon was confused at first. He never imagined Ronan would say something like that, but he had nothing to lose by giving it a try. After all, he was now an immortal being, and there was no harm in experiencing as much as he could.

Moreover, being honest with himself, he didn't feel any romantic attachment to Ronan. He cared for him and had come to appreciate the moments they spent together, but it didn't come close to what he felt for Edward.

Still, he appreciated Ronan's honesty, although he had this strange feeling that Ronan wasn't as honest as he appeared, and there were still many things he kept hidden. Devon wasn't sure if he wanted to know everything, at least not at that moment. He preferred to enjoy the moment a little longer.

He closed his eyes for a moment, enjoying the small silence that began to envelop him.

"The room of Bella is on the other side of the hallway," he said without opening his eyes.

"I know," murmured Edward in the darkness as he crossed his arms and leaned against the wall.

Devon opened his eyes to look at Edward, although he remained lying down with both hands behind his head.

"What are you doing here?"

There was a long silence.

"Honestly, I don't know," he finally answered. "I just..." He didn't continue.

Devon sat up on the bed and looked at Edward with a furrowed brow.

"What's happening, Edward?"

But Edward kept his gaze on the ground. Devon would dare say he looked... sad.

"Can I ask you something?" he spoke without lifting his gaze.

Devon thought for a moment. He had been avoiding Edward, but it seemed there was no escape this time.

"Yes."

Edward raised his eyes and looked into his.

"Why him?" he frowned, almost seemed hurt by asking that question. "Of all the people in the world... why Ronan?"

Devon looked at him without understanding and not sure what to answer.

"I don't know what you mean."

Edward fell silent for a moment. He felt frustrated and upset. He couldn't freely read Devon's thoughts; he only captured some ideas when he wasn't touching him directly, but it was still challenging to connect the dots.

"Never mind," he said finally, after pondering his words. It had been a very bad idea to come to Devon.

For his part, Devon wanted to insist, but he held back and dropped back on the bed, looking at the ceiling.

"I thought you'd be organizing something for Bella. Tomorrow is her birthday, right?"

Edward let out a laugh that sounded more like a snort.

"She wants me to pretend it's not her birthday, just another day. Of course, Alice organized a surprise party for her. I guess she already invited you."

Devon nodded, recalling how excited Alice sounded when she told him.

"She tried to convince Charlie and Amy to do the same, but it didn't work completely," he smiled, "mom already made her a big cake and expects me to get up early to go to Bella's room and sing her happy birthday or something."

Edward smiled a little, and all his features seemed to relax.

"It sounds nice."

There was another silence, but this time, it felt uncomfortable.

"I like that Ronan isn't afraid to show his feelings," Devon spoke in a low voice. "I like that we can hold hands without either of us caring if anyone is watching or give each other a kiss anywhere without caring about what others might murmur. It makes me feel... safe."

It made a lot of sense. Edward still refused to fully acknowledge his feelings while Ronan roamed the world without any fear. Whether it was men or women, Ronan had no qualms about expressing his feelings.

"Sorry," Edward muttered.

Devon sat up on the bed and looked at him with confusion. He didn't expect to hear that word from his mouth.

"Why?"

He shrugged.

"For not being clear about my feelings in the beginning. I guess I was just... scared. Not sure why or of what, but... I was."

"And you're not anymore?"

Both looked at each other in silence for a moment.

"Not as much as before."

"But now, you're with Bella."

Edward returned his gaze to the floor, and neither said anything more for a good moment.

"Did you know... did you know that Ronan controls the thoughts I can read?" Devon looked at him in confusion. "Unlike the rest of the people, whose thoughts I can easily read without trying... Ronan can freely choose what he wants to show me. It's very annoying. I guess it's a brother thing."

Devon realized something he hadn't thought about before.

"Ronan, does he have any ability like yours or Alice's?"

Edward seemed confused.

"He didn't tell you?"

"No," he shook his head.

"I'm not entirely sure if it's a real ability, but his sense of smell is ultra-sensitive. It makes him an excellent hunter, and he can smell his prey from an incredibly impressive distance. He led us directly to James's location by following his scent when he attacked Bella. It's practically impossible to hide from him, although he faces the same issue as me when I'm in a crowded place. For me, there are too many voices in my head, making it really annoying and giving me a terrible headache. For Ronan, it's like feeling dizzy from the smells. He says each person has a different scent, and he has never smelled two identical scents—they may be similar but not identical, and Ronan can identify each of them. It's stronger with people he's closer to."

Devon nodded in understanding.

"I had no idea."

🥀

The next morning, Devon heard someone gently knocking on his door. He knew it was his mother, so he waited a moment before opening. She had a big smile, holding a beautiful cake in her hands.

"Let's wake up Bella," she whispered.

Devon nodded with a smile and followed her. Charlie was already in front of his daughter's door, waiting for the other two to enter.

Charlie knocked on the door a couple of times before opening it. Bella opened her eyes just then, while the three of them sang the birthday song, making the girl feel quite uncomfortable.

"We agreed on no gifts," Bella murmured, looking at all three.

"Nonsense," Amy told her as she sat on the edge of the bed and lit a couple of candles for her to blow. "Don't forget to make a wish."

Bella gave up on her protests and quickly blew out the candles. Charlie handed her a couple of gifts she accepted uncomfortably, and Devon gave her one more before leaving the room to avoid hearing Bella's complaints. It was a bracelet he had gifted her, and he knew Charlie had given her

a simple camera he had chosen with his help, and Bella's mother had sent her an album for the photographs.

Devon returned to his room to change and go to school. He had decided to go ahead, so he left before everyone gathered in the kitchen.

The night before, Edward had stayed in the room in complete silence and then left at some point in the night without saying anything more. Devon wanted to understand, but he couldn't.

After the boring and tedious classes, Devon returned home to change into something a bit more formal and nice for the occasion. Then he headed to the Cullen house on his motorcycle and, being there, helped Alice with some arrangements and decorations they placed all over the room.

Alice had planned everything very carefully. First, they would welcome Bella and give her their gifts, then they would have a family dinner by candlelight, and to end the night, they would eat cake while Edward played the piano. Yes, everything should go perfectly.

But reality was different.

The night started quite well, although Bella seemed more uncomfortable than ever in her life. Everyone was giving her gifts one by one until it was Esme and Carlisle's turn. While Bella opened the nice paper envelope containing a pair of plane tickets, somehow, in a way Devon didn't understand, Bella cut her finger.

Since he transformed, he hadn't had direct contact with human blood, so he had managed to restrain himself. But for the first time, he smelled the fresh blood dripping from his stepsister's finger, and an intense thirst came over him. However, he wasn't the only one. Jasper was the first to lose control, and while they tried to stop him from attacking Bella, the poor human girl was thrown against a table with a glass vase, causing more blood to trickle down her arm. Emmett took care of Jasper along with Alice, but Devon was stunned, doing everything he could not to go after Bella.

It was Ronan who made him hold back, taking him by the arm and pulling him out of the room. Unlike Jasper, he hadn't tried to attack Bella, but he had really been about to. He really wanted to go and drink every milliliter of blood flowing through her body.

The outside air brought him to his senses and made him feel more relaxed.

"Are you okay?" Ronan asked, placing a hand on his neck and looking at him with concern.

Devon nodded.

"I feel better now. Something like this had never happened to me before."

Ronan gently shook his head with a smile.

"It happens to all of us at some point. Don't worry about it."

"Thanks."

"Do you want to go back home? I don't think this party will continue after what happened."

"Yeah, I think I'd rather leave," he thought for a moment. "Do you think Jasper is okay?"

"He'll feel a bit guilty, but he'll be fine. It's been a long time since he lost control like that."

Devon nodded.

"Then I'll see him another day when he feels calmer. It's not his fault."

"Come on, I'll take you home today."

Devon handed him the keys to his motorcycle, and without saying goodbye to anyone, they both left. That night, Ronan stayed to sleep with Devon in his room, hugged like a koala to Devon while he stroked his head and ran his fingers through his hair.

Devon couldn't stop thinking about that horrible feeling of almost losing control. Nothing happened thanks to being with Ronan, but what would happen when he was alone? What if his mother accidentally cut herself while cooking? What if Charlie hurt himself with something? Or what if Bella hurt herself again? Before, he hadn't thought about it, but now... he couldn't stop thinking about it.

He didn't want to harm his family. He was truly terrified of the possibility that someday he might lose control and hurt them, or even kill them. But he didn't know what to do about it. Leave home? No. He couldn't do that. As long as the Cullens were in town, he wouldn't have anything to worry about. They had shown him how to keep calm, and there were still many things they had to teach him.

So yes, everything would be perfectly fine.

But that was about to change.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

217K 4.9K 37
*COMPLETED*Ashley Cullen was just a baby when she and her birth parents were in a horrible car accident. Rosalie and Emmett Cullen happened to be by...
678K 19.2K 80
*Twilight series fanfiction* *Set after Breaking Dawn It has been a few months since the last encounter between the Cullens and the Volturi. Life has...
92K 2.4K 17
[Book I] Millie Carter is trying to not be a stereotypical foster kid. But it's hard when everyone she's fostered with has left her or been an asshol...
78.4K 1.7K 35
You are the older adopted sister to Bella Swan and you recently found out you come from a long line of witches. While she lived with her mom in Phoen...