I Almost Killed My Crush's Mom

By Cherry_Cola_x

I, Lois Mai Reynolds, am all kinds of clumsy. I fall over flat surfaces. I drop expensive vases, and miraculo... More

<> Synopsis <>
Chapter 1:: Oops is an understatement
Chapter 2:: The Diagnosis
Chapter 3:: The Truth Comes Out
Chapter 4:: One Game
Chapter 5:: The winds of pain
Chapter 6:: My crush stole my cupcake
Chapter 7:: The Plan
Chapter 8:: Malicious chair legs
Chapter 9:: Doodling and Drooling
Bad News
Chapter 10:: Supermarkets solve everything
Chapter 11:: Pass me that bottle
Chapter 12:: The Fault in Our Universe
Chapter 13:: Me and You, You and Her
Chapter 14:: Sleepovers
Chapter 15:: Holes. Leaks. Sealant.
Chapter 16:: Bitches and Body Shots
Chapter 17:: Change
Chapter 18:: Burn Baby Burn
Chapter 19:: Confidence and Sass
Chapter 20:: Little Red Dress
Chapter 21:: What are you doing to me?
♔ ANNOUNCEMENTS ♔
Chapter 22:: The Worst Spies
Chapter 23:: Video Game Victory
Chapter 24:: Three Days
Chapter 25:: The Dance
Chapter 26:: Fight or Flight
GRAPHICS COMPETITION
Chapter 27:: You Like Me
Chapter 28:: Truth and Lie
Chapter 29:: Be Spontaneous
Chapter 30:: Drunk on Emotion
COMPETITION WINNERS
Chapter 32:: Mango Smoothies
Epilogue
BONUS CHAPTER
♔CHARACTER INTERVIEW ♔
One Shot Competition

Chapter 31:: The Land of Dreams

180K 9.3K 4.4K
By Cherry_Cola_x

Chapter 31// The Land of Dreams

Banner to the side-> 2nd in the graphics competition :)

"Are you sure this won't be weird?" I ask Jesse, biting my lip.

The front door to Jesse's house is directly in front of us: we are about to break the news of our relationship to Jennifer. Both of my hands are lying in Jesse's, my eyes pleading for some truth, despite me already knowing the answer to my question. It will be weird, not only because Jesse and I are now officially an item, but because I haven't seen Jennifer in over a week and since I last saw her: she was told that her husband is cheating on her. I don't have any idea what to say to her, how to speak to her. I just want her to know that I hope that she's okay, and that I completely and utterly support her in everything. I don't want her to feel alone.

"This won't be weird," Jesse reassures me, shaking his head. "My mom loves you already. She already knows that we're together, I told her last night," Jesse smiles a little bit, "She can't wait to see you, you know. She's missed you." Jesse looks tired today, but happy. After he went home last night, it seemed both of us were unwilling to separate. We basically spent the entire night on the phone talking. I found out things I never knew about him: like, how he hates the taste of vinegar. Or that when he's nervous, he picks his cuticles so hard that they bleed. It was an amazing conversation, but I feel like a zombie today, as I'm sure he does too.

I pull my hands from Jesse's, looping them around his neck instead and frowning. "How is she doing?" I ask him honestly, biting my lip. "How bad is the situation?"

"She's getting better," Jesse nods, "She's healing. Mainly it's due to you and me. I think she likes having the distraction of my love life," Jesse pulls a face, and I chuckle. "Just be your normal self. She'll cheer up, don't worry. Are you ready to come inside?" Jesse's hand falls onto the door handle, and my arms release him. I'm ready. Jennifer is definitely one of my closest friends (I guess it's weird to be so close with your boyfriend's mother) and I missed her. I just hope she's okay.

We step inside his house, and the familiar scent comes flooding back to me. It feels like forever since I've last been here, and I've missed it. I lean over to slip off my shoes, and Jesse grabs my free hand, tugging me towards the living room. I think we all know how that turns out. A second later, I'm lying on the floor, with my shoes half undone, scowling at Jesse. "Glad to see our relationship hasn't affected your clumsiness," Jesse muses, looking down at me. His eyes glint mischievously.

"Shut up and help me up," I pout, throwing my shoe at him. Jesse steps over me so that his legs are either side of my body, his eyebrows wiggling smugly. If he sat down now, he'd be straddling me. "You're enjoying this way too much, weirdo," I groan, throwing my hands in the air for him to lift me by. Jesse doesn't deny my statement. He grabs my hands and pulls me up until I'm face to face in front of him. I can't help but blush a little bit.

"You should fall over more often," He whispers, winking.

"I fall over often enough," I roll my eyes and shove him playfully, only to be pushed back against a wall. Jesse leans forwards and presses his lips to mine, smiling. The kiss is sweet, and short, but has my heart accelerating like a hummingbird's, and a red tinge rushes to my cheeks. He leans back and grins at me. "Now I'm definitely ready to go," I nod breathlessly.

We make our way into the living room, and sure enough Jennifer is sat on the couch watching TV. She's cocooned in a blanket, with a box of cookies beside her, picking out the chocolate chips. She looks up as we enter, and her whole face changes. Her eyes seem to light up and she practically beams. "It's the lovebirds!" She grins, "Lois, sweetie, I've missed you so much! We have a lot to talk about." She opens her arms and I immediately rush over to sit beside her and give her a hug. "I know Jesse's my son and all, but I swear he gives me no details on how you two actually got together. I can't believe you two are finally a couple!"

"Mom, I don't want to tell you details," Jesse groans, "And neither does Lois. Kindly remember that you are now her boyfriend's mother, not her best friend."

"Don't listen to him," I laugh, "I'll tell you the details, but first...how are you doing?"

Jennifer's face seems to fall, but she pulls on a weak smile, tucking a loose strand of hair from her ponytail behind her ear. "I'm better now that you're here. I rang Steve this morning...he's coming to collect his things tomorrow, and then he'll be out of our lives for good. It's a good job my cast is coming off in a week. I need to get back to work." She offers me the box of cookies, but I politely decline, too surprised by the news I've just heard.

"A week?" I gasp, "It's coming off in a week?"

"Yeah, I can't wait!" Jennifer smiles, "Of course, I'll need a couple more physiotherapy sessions to work back my strength to walk and stuff, but the cast is off next Friday. I'm no longer bound to crutches and wheelchairs. Isn't that amazing?"

"That's absolutely awesome," I grin, "Listen...Jennifer, I wanted to apologise that I haven't been around for the past week. I should have been helping you out, and I wasn't there. I'm sorry."

"Lois, you have absolutely no duty to help me," Jennifer says slowly, "You already know that. You are an angel in disguise, sweetheart. I don't expect you to come and help me; you do it because you're an amazing person. Besides, how could I be angry at my future daughter in law?" She daringly shoots an amused glance at Jesse, who is currently trying to bury himself in the other couch, out of sight.

"Please tell me you didn't just say that, Mom," He groans, embarrassed.

"Anyway," I laugh, changing the subject. "Is there anything I can do to help you today?"

<><><><><>

Turns out, the only thing I could do to help Jennifer today was to drop her off at the hospital for her last check up before her cast is removed. I'm wasn't really sure why she needed a check-up, but Jennifer explained that it was to see how confident she felt about walking again, and run through what's going to happen after the cast is removed. It's hard to believe it's only been just over 7 weeks since the accident, and yet my life has changed completely. I have a boyfriend, and I have my boyfriend's mother. I've gained more friends and confidence, and my best friend is dating my brother. Things in my normal, kind of boring teenage life have changed completely. I start school again next week, and part of me is already dying to start senior year.

"Have I ever told you that you're amazing?" I turn to the side to look at Jesse, sat on the plastic chair beside me in the waiting room. It's weird to think that just 7 weeks ago, I was sat in this waiting room with Everett, crying about my part in an accident leaving a woman with a fractured femur. I think with time...I've come to accept that it wasn't entirely my fault. It was a complete accident: me backing out at the same time as Jennifer walked past. Everything happens for a reason.

"Hmm, not that I remember," Jesse muses teasingly, "But I quite like hearing it."

"You're amazing," I say simply, smiling. "Don't let that go to your head though, alligator." I bump my shoulder against his. Damn, he has nice shoulders.

"As if it won't go to my head," Jesse snorts, before turning to me curiously. "Enlighten me though. Why exactly am I so amazing? I mean, apart from my gorgeous appearance and charm of course."

"You just are," I shrug, "Even though you were an ass to me at first, and you fake dated a girl for way too long, and you didn't say you loved me back immediately, I still like you. A lot. Maybe it's because of your gorgeous appearance and charm, but I think it's more about how happy I feel when I'm around you. You're just amazing," I turn to look at him with a slight smile on my face, but Jesse is staring down at me with something deeper in his eyes. His irises are darker than usual, and his gaze is intense. Slowly he leans down to kiss me again.

"You're amazing too you know," He finally says, "Even though you are the most naïve, and irritatingly selfless girl, with a bad habit of hiding how you really feel: I like you. A hell of a lot. You're gorgeous, and your smile makes me weak at the knees. You care about others, and you like the things that I like. Even though you make me act like a complete idiot trying to impress you, you're amazing." This time, I kiss him. "Well," Jesse clears his throat, "Now that my manliness is completely out of the window and we've covered the incredibly corny conversation of why we like each other, do you want to watch a movie tonight? The Fault in Our Universe: that film you like."

"The Fault in Our Stars," I correct him, "The Fault in Our Universe sounds like a science documentary. Unfortunately, I think I've done enough crying this week. I'm not really into having another emotional breakdown. Why don't we watch something that you like instead? What's your favourite movie?" Jesse grabs my hand and begins to play with my fingers again. He seems to like doing that.

"I like the X-Men," Jesse shrugs, "You'd probably like it too."

"So is this a date, Jesse Dales?"

"This is a night in with my girlfriend," Jesse corrects, "Don't worry, our first date will be much better than watching an action film. We'll have to organise that at some point, yeah?" He looks at me for confirmation, just as Jennifer enters the room. I hear the click of her crutches, and look up only to see that the giant air cast on her leg is removed. She looks so slender without it. My jaw drops.

"Surprise!" Jennifer grins, "My cast is off!" A female Doctor stands beside her, supporting Jennifer's back as they make their way towards us. Jennifer's foot is pale, and her leg looks weak.

"I don't believe this," Jesse breathes beside me, standing up to greet her. "What happened to the appointment next week?"

"Well," The Doctor begins, checking her clipboard. "Jenny here has been in a cast for the past 7 weeks. In the X-Ray we ran today, we see that her bone has healed completely. She said she's confident to try walking, and so she will," The Doctor smiles, "For a week or so she'll stay on crutches, because it's a little strange putting weight on it at first and we need to build up the muscle again. Physiotherapy sessions will increase to every other day to target the muscle. Then, hopefully she'll become more confident in walking without her crutches."

"Isn't it great?" Jennifer beams, "I've taken my first steps guys. It was so weird...it was like all of my body weight fell through my leg the moment my foot touched the floor. I need to work up to it, but it's a start right? My cast is gone!"

"Congratulations!" I jump up, "I'm so happy for you!"

"Me too," Jennifer grins, admiring her free leg. "Now, let's go home. I think a celebratory get together is needed. I'll call a few friends over. Lois can stay too, of course."

"Thank you, Jennifer," I smile, glancing at Jesse. "We'll make our cupcakes again, yeah?"

"I'm counting on it! But...please sweetie," Jennifer frowns, surprised. "Call me Jenny."

<><><><><>
"Who's your favourite person in the entire world?" I ask softly, chewing on a piece of popcorn stuck in between my teeth. Jesse and I are sat up on his bed, leaning against his headboard. X-Men is paused on the TV opposite us: forgotten about half an hour ago. It's late, I can tell that, but I don't know what the time is exactly. From downstairs, we can hear the laughter of Jenny and her friends.

"My mom," Jesse nods, smiling weakly. "And don't tease me for being a momma's boy. It's hard not to be when your dad is such a prick." He chucks a piece of popcorn in the air, and once again I try to catch it in my mouth, but it falls onto my lap. There's a whole little pile of failure there. It's a little depressing when you see that you've missed 15 chances of successfully catching popcorn in your mouth. I smile at Jesse's reply, dozily closing my eyes as I lean into the pillows. It's Jesse's turn to ask a question. "If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be?"

My eyes remain closed as I reply. "I'm pretty comfortable here, if I'm honest."

I suddenly feel a pair of warm lips on mine, and the irregular stutter of my heart instantly recognises Jesse. My hands lift up to his hair and tangle themselves in the scruff at the nape of his neck. He smells like cinnamon and cologne, and his movement is slow. He's as sleepy as I am. It must be pretty late. It's a good job I texted Everett a while ago, or he'd be freaking out right about now. Speaking of freaking out, that's what my pulse is doing with Jesse kissing me. My eyes flutter open in shock as I feel Jesse shift his weight, rolling me on top of him. I let out a surprised squeak. Our lips separate, both of us panting a little, and Jesse's eyes are bright with mischief. "Much better."

Normally I'd smack him playfully for his little dirty jokes, but to be honest I like this new position as much as he does. "It's my turn," I smile, tucking some hair behind my ear. "Where's your most comforting place to be? As in...where you go when you're upset."

"My pool," Jesse answers immediately. "You know how much I love swimming. My pool is my favourite place. It's where I spent most of my time in the past week, while you were mad at me."

"Your turn," I murmur, resting my head down on his chest and feeling fatigue sweep over me like the warm blanket I'm craving right now. "Ask me a question."

"If you could be one other person in the world, who would you be?" Jesse says after a moment of silence. I frown at the question. Usually I'd say some celebrity, because who doesn't want to be famous and talented? However, the question is making me think too much. My head hurts. I groan and grumble in reply, and Jesse chuckles. His chest moves beneath me: it's the weirdest sensation ever. "Are you getting sleepy, Reynolds?"

"No," I retort defiantly, "I'm just resting my eyes. If I could be one person...hold on, do fictional characters count? Because they live such cool lives, and always have happy endings," I open my eyes and feel the slight movement of Jesse's nod. "Okay then, I'd choose to be Rapunzel...Flynn Ryder is a hottie, let's be honest here. There's something so attractive about bad boys."

"I'm a bad boy," Jesse snorts.

"Yeah okay," I roll my eyes. The truth is, I should probably be getting home by now, but I'm too lazy to even move. Would it be weird if I fell asleep at Jesse's? Obviously nothing would happen...but I guess he's my boyfriend. He wouldn't mind right? "Um, Jesse...would it be okay if I stayed here tonight? I'm too sleepy to move." I widen my eyes to look pleading and hopefully, adorable. Jesse nods without even thinking about it. His eyes are closed too now. I blame him for our tiredness: he's the one who kept me awake most of last night, on the phone. His bill is probably sky high.

"I'm going to see Rita tomorrow," I say randomly, "I think it's about time I talked to her."

Jesse's eyes open. "Really? What are you going to say to her?"

"I don't really know," I admit quietly, rolling off Jesse to lie beside him on the bed. "I'm just planning on seeing what I think of when I'm there. I should probably apologise to her, but then she should also apologise to me... She obviously likes you, and I guess my feelings didn't mean much to her when she was continuously trying to make me jealous. She owes me an apology, I owe her one. Maybe we can call a truce or whatever," I yawn, uncaring of how I look right now with my face stretched and makeup removed. "I'm really sleepy Jesse," I admit to him.

"I'll grab you a blanket and pause the movie. Do you want to borrow a shirt?" Jesse asks, almost hopefully. "I'm sure you'll look better in it than I do."

"Sure," I smirk dozily, the scene around me a blur as I fight the closing of my eyes. Jesse chucks me a t-shirt from his draw, switching the TV off and dimming the room from any light source other than the lamp. I consider what I'm wearing: leggings and a woollen jumper. Slowly I begin to tug at the sleeves of my jumper, turning away from Jesse and pulling it over my head. I grab Jesse's shirt and tug on the sleeves. It smells like him.

"Holy crap Lois," Jesse gasps from the other side of the room. I scowl at him, covering my bra with his t-shirt as I yank it quickly over my head.

"You weren't supposed to look," I accuse.

"You didn't tell me you were changing," Jesse points out. "Nice bra. I like you when you're sleepy- you aren't as shy." He smirks at me a little, watching as I cocoon myself under his sheets. My senses are filled with Jesse's scent: that musky cinnamon smell. It smells comforting. I easily find myself sinking into his mattress, my eyes closing. I hear Jesse come up beside me, and the lamp turns off. The room is swamped in darkness, and Jesse climbs hesitantly into his bed next to me. My heart beats faster, despite me being on the edge of unconsciousness. "Night crocodile," Jesse whispers, kissing me on the forehead.

"Night night alligator," I mumble, cuddling closer to his warm chest before I'm finally lost to the land of dreams.

ONE MORE CHAPTER TO GO! Can you believe that? Anywho, I won't be online for the next 3 days because I'm going camping. The next update should be anytime next week :) Dedication to the amazing AnnaRiggs for winning 2nd place in the graphics competition! I love that banner!

See you later alligators,

Lauren xox

P.P.S. I AM ENTERING IAKMCM INTO THE WATTYS YAY

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 611 59
"Earth to Sam" she obnoxiously speaks into my ear snapping her fingers in my face. "What?" I push her off me and sit up. "So did he come and tell you...
413K 9.6K 31
⇢ STORY BY : ❱ http:˚♡lvesaturn! ˚ˑؘ :🍥: ·˚ ⇢ COVER MADE BY : lvesaturn♡ [ DO NOT REUSE OR USE FOR ANY OTHER WEBSITE ] ⇢𝓡𝓾𝓷𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓽𝓱𝓻𝓸𝓾𝓰�...
1.1K 87 34
"I pray that the last time I said goodbye was not meant forever." *** Growing up with a single parent with not much money to spare wasn't particularl...
2K 67 19
"Well then. That's the first time a girl has ever rejected my close proximity," he said, eyes ablaze with a playful fire. "You better get used to it...