Maybe, You Will See Me Now

By Mercy198

A successful career woman in her early thirties struggles to overcome the stigma of divorce and its associate... More

Hi๐ŸŒป
Dedication
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
010
011
012
013
014
015
016
017
018
019
020
021
022
023
024
025
026
027
029
030
031
032
033
034
035

028

730 82 7
By Mercy198

About 3 years ago...

Ijeawele stood up from the bed. She looked back at her husband who wasn't there when she went to bed last night. She sighed in silence. His late returns had become more often than she preferred. His only luck for excuses was because he ran his own business.

She picked up his shoes scattered on the floor and left them together by the bed. Ijeawele left the room to the living room where she picked up his jacket from the couch. Holding it close to her, she inhaled the familiar scent.

Her brows furrowed.

She was familiar with the scents from her husband's perfumes. But this wasn't part of his lineup. Yet, very often lately, he seemed to have it on him. Ijeawele held the jacket closer to her nose and inhaled deeper. The scent didn't exactly resonate as the strong, alluring and expensive type. It reminded her of the cheap small bottle perfume oils easily sold around. She knew because her sister-in-law once used them. This particular one had a peculiar floral fragrance.

Ijeawele shut her eyes for a second. When she opened them, she'd turned her head in the direction of her bedroom and stared at it for a while. Out of the blue, she shook her head to stop any wandering thoughts. She went ahead and left the jacket in the room before walking to the kitchen to make breakfast.

Present...

Ijeawele fiddled with her pen between her fingers. Her eyes stayed glued to the screen of her laptop in front of her. Her right feet lightly tapped impatiently under the table. Suddenly, she stopped tapping her feet and lifted her eyes to Andrew seated next to the seat right across hers.

"Mr. Bekwele, have you finished the design for the health centre outreach we talked about in the last meeting?"

Andrew appeared a little perplexed and taken aback.

"Uh, not yet. The deadline given to me is the day after tomorrow."

She returned her gaze to her laptop screen and added a remark while she did. "Hmm, I'm sure you would've been able to finish ahead of time if you had cut out some extracurricular activities."

Andrew frowned for a moment. It's possible she was being professional. But Andrew felt a cold reception from her.

The others in the room subtly bounced stares between Andrew and Ijeawele.

"Don't worry Ijeawele. Andrew is good at his work. You don't have anything to worry about." The marketing director backed him up.

She lifted her eyes to the director. "We'll see."

A few more things were said and the meeting was rounded up. Ijeawele stood up on her feet, shut her laptop, carried everything that was hers in her arms and was among the first to walk out of the room without looking at Andrew.

Andrew, who remained in the stew of confusion, watched her walk away and couldn't go after her while everyone was watching. Ebube, his colleague leaned closer to him.

"Did you do something to her?" He queried in a low voice.

"She seemed upset to you, right?" Andrew asked instead of giving a reply.

Ebube nodded his head. "I haven't seen her this way in a while."

Andrew turned to him. "What do you mean?"

"Well, the last time she oozed out this much cold was when the rumour of her divorce was going round the office."

Andrew frowned.

"Mr. Talkative, you better be careful what you say." Bolanle who'd been listening chirped in, taunting her colleague.

Ebube gave her a glare. "I didn't say anything that wasn't true. Maybe she has a new man and he recently broke her heart... again."

"Aah! Ebube!" She held her ear. "I'm warning you, keep quiet. If someone hears you and spreads this as a rumour, it'll be the end for you."

Ebube's frown was deep, disapproving of Bolanle's words. He stood on his feet, picked up his jotting note and pen off the table and was on his way out of the room.

"Andrew." Bolanle called, drawing him out from his deep thoughts.

She sighed. "Don't pay much attention to Ebube's words. I think Ijeawele is a cool person. Disturbed? Yes, maybe. But I don't think she has a personal vendetta for you. She might just have a lot on her plate right now."

Andrew feigned a weak smile and nodded to her words. Although, at that period, a lot of theories were playing in his head. If only he could have a talk with her.

#

Ijeawele rested her head in her palms for some time. Then, she leaned back into her chair. She recollected every bit from the meeting. The expression on her face was sour. She hated acting like a spoiled child whose stuff was taken away.

Ask him. A voice in her head advised.

But Ijeawele wasn't sure she wanted to hear anything he had to say. What if her fears were the truth? How would she handle that? She didn't think she was ready to go on that familiar ride of betrayal?

Her phone dings. She picked it up and read the text message from her sister-in-law.

#

During lunch, Andrew subtly looked out for any sighting of Ijeawele in the cafeteria. Yet, there was none. It led him to believe she might really be troubled. Ebube's words had stuck with him. Is it possible she felt betrayed by him? Was that why she acted cold towards him? Regardless, Andrew couldn't phantom what he could've done to make her feel that way. It would help if she spoke to him. He couldn't do that with her locked away in her office.

On his way back to the office, he held his phone in his hands and struggled with the idea of sending her a text. Andrew was being extra careful not to seem too pushy. It's understandable that she was still in a delicate state with her emotions. But he was also worried about her.

He sighed and decided to just send a simple text.

Are we okay? He typed and his finger hovered over the send button for a while. Doubts flooded his mind. Pushing them aside, he tapped on the button and the message was gone. Andrew sucked in a deep breath and hastened his steps back to the office, deciding not to dwell on the thought of expecting a reply.

And yet, he did.

Every few seconds, Andrew checked his phone for a reply. No reply meant they really weren't okay. He concluded she was upset with him. Why? Andrew searched his memories for anything that might indicate the reason for her current hostility towards him. Nothing came to mind and it ate him from within that he couldn't figure this out. It crossed his mind to go show up at her office. He shook his head at the thought. That would be unprofessional of him and might put her in an uncomfortable position. Andrew made the decision to hold his horses on this one.

After office hours while Andrew was heading towards the exit, he saw Ijeawele walking down the stairs. Ijeawele didn't notice Andrew until she was close to the last staircase. Both of them stood still and their eyes met for a second. Ijeawele was the first to look away. She continued her steps towards the glass doors and Andrew began his steps as well. He readied himself to speak up.

"Ijeawele, wait, please." Radha called as she descended the stairs in a haste.

Andrew retracted two steps back and forced his gaze to shift anywhere else but on Ijeawele.

Ijeawele had stopped and now, she was watching her colleague hurry up to her.

"Please, my car is at the mechanic. Can I get a ride from you?" Radha asked, her breathing a little out of place.

Ijeawele's silence was short lived. "Sure."

Radha smiled from ear to ear. "Thank you." She placed a hand on Ijeawele's arm, who in turn flashed a light and brief smile.

Ijeawele led the way out of the building and Radha followed.

When Andrew stepped out of the building, they'd gotten into the car. He stood and watched in a not-so-obvious manner. While Ijeawele rode out of her parking space and towards the gate, she couldn't help looking in Andrew's direction. Their eyes met at that moment. Again, she was first to look away. Andrew watched the car drive out of the premises. He shut his eyes and could feel the forthcoming hours of discomfort waiting for him. He hated this feeling of never knowing the truth.

#

Both Gift and Ijeawele watched the tall, dark complexioned lean man. He turned the four sticks of suya on the controlled flame that had been set up explicitly for roasting. The smell filled their nostrils and surroundings. It made Gift salivate for it. Thank God, they were about the third people here and the night was young.

"So, why did you treat Isaac the way you did?" Gift caught a look at Ijeawele by her side before her gaze returned to the beef roasting in front of her. There was a known uncertainty that if they didn't watch their choice properly, it could be sold to another.

"Ijeawele." Gift called, placing a hand on her arm to get her attention.

It worked because Ijeawele drifted her gaze to her sister-in-law. The expression on her face was that of ignorance.

Gift let out a light sigh. "You didn't hear anything I said."

Ijeawele's facial expression held an apology and it was enough for her sister-in-law.

"Are you okay?"

Ijeawele nodded her head. "Yes."

Gift narrowed her eyes. "I know you. Even if you aren't okay, you won't tell me till like my fourth try at getting you to talk."

Ijeawele's chuckle was light and brief. "I'm a little disturbed but I'm okay."

Gift stared at her for some time.

"Fine. Why did you treat Isaac that way?"

Ijeawele furrowed her brows. "Who?"

Gift widened her eyes at her quite in disbelief. "Your date from the other night. Y-you forgot his name already?"

Ijeawele laughed lightly. "Wait, it's not what you think?"

"It's not what I think? What do you think that my thoughts are?" Gift queried, folding her arms below her chest and wearing a semi amusing slash serious expression.

Ijeawele held her words, remained quiet as Gift glanced once at their suya on fire.

"Didn't you like him?"

Ijeawele sighed. "He was okay."

"And?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "I... I don't think he was genuine."

Gift furrowed her brows at her. "Isaac is a good man. Your brother vouched for him."

"I..."

"Aboki, let it not burn." Gift called out to the man. Right away, he checked on the suya and it was ready. While he cut it to small pieces, she returned her gaze to Ijeawele.

"Sorry, you were saying?"

Ijeawele barely parted her lips, only to shut it again. She was having difficulty finding the right words to explain herself.

"I think he's downplaying my situation."

Gift wore a frown. "What do you mean?"

Ijeawele staggered a little. Her body movement was clear that she wasn't sure about furthering this topic.

"You think he doesn't take you being a divorcee into serious consideration?"

"Maybe."

"Madam." The man called out with a small black polythene bag stretched out to them. Gift turned and collected it. She looked into it one time and handed over his payment to him. Together, Gift and Ijeawele began their stroll back.

"Do you really want that title to define you for the rest of your life?" Gift asked, unable to hold it in.

Ijeawele spared her a glance. She sucked in a deep breath and released it. How can she explain how complicated her emotions and thoughts were? She wasn't even sure what she wanted. On one hand, she would prefer it if everyone left her on her own and on the other hand, she graved the return of the person who she was before her marriage fell apart.

Gift stopped on her tracks and turned to Ijeawele who did the same.

"Ijeawele, you're a young, smart and beautiful woman. Kingsley betrayed you. That's his mistake and his loss. Don't let it destroy your future. Any man would be lucky and blessed to have you by his side."

Ijeawele's smile was weak but definite. She shared a light hug with her sister-in-law, appreciative for her kind words.

"Keke!" Gift called an autorickshaw approaching.

"Also, call your brother. He's a little upset with how the date went." She told Ijeawele while she stepped into the backseat of the rickshaw where two others were already seated. Ijeawele nodded and they waved goodbyes to each other. She watched as the rickshaw drove away. Then, Ijeawele was on her way down the street. Her apartment building was not far away. Somehow, she felt a little unburdened after having a discussion with her sister-in-law. She was more than grateful for their relationship.

Ijeawele stopped in front of the stairs leading to the floor of her apartment. In her hands was her phone. She stared at the text Andrew had sent her earlier that day. Casually, she bit her lower lip. Her thumbs hovered over the keyboard on her screen. She could have replied when she saw the text. But...

Again, she backed out of the page and began her ascension. Not now, maybe soon or maybe one day. Ijeawele couldn't say and her fear scared her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.8K 2.3K 53
ส™แดแดแด‹ แดษดแด‡ แดา“ แด›สœแด‡ sแด‡แด‡ แด›สœส€แดแดœษขสœ sแด‡ส€ษชแด‡s(sแด›s) "๐‘ˆ๐‘›๐‘ก๐‘–๐‘™ ๐‘ค๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘’๐‘๐‘œ๐‘š๐‘’ ๐‘“๐‘ข๐‘™๐‘™๐‘ฆ ๐‘“๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘’, ๐‘ค๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘ข๐‘ก ๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘Ž ๐‘“๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘ ๐‘’ ๐‘“๐‘Ÿ๐‘œ๐‘›๐‘ก, ๐‘Ž ๐‘“๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘‘๐‘’...
67.6K 3.7K 19
PUBLISHED ON THE NOVELSTAR PLATFORM PUBLISHED ON THE NOVELNOW PLATFORM PUBLISHED ON HINOVEL AS A FREE STORY **** "How do I stop loving you? Teach me...
34K 3.7K 44
โ˜† Featured โ˜† NA โœ”๏ธŽ AmbassadorsNG โœ”๏ธŽ Wattpad โœ”๏ธŽ It's challenging to be yourself in a society where being a lesbian is an offense with a fourteen-year...
6.3K 774 48
Lotanna wanted to be in love, always fantasizing about a happy marriage and a house full of kids. She never expected to turn pregnant when she met 't...