The Runaway Sister

By EvaWerner22

standalone ~ mafia siblings series "You can't make me stay here! I will get an emancipation." I yell. Flashba... More

character list
one | not so forgotten
two | smart-mouthed sister
three | charming reunion
four | logan & luke
five | failed attempt
six | confessions
thank you!
seven | a saint and a boy
eight | mafia friends
nine | dating and marriage
ten | warren's gift
eleven | movie morning
twelve | italian dinner
new book!!!
fourteen | trapped in a bed
fifteen | unexpected visitors
sixteen | snow-covered fields
mafia siblings series
seventeen | oh gosh-
10k?!?!?!?
eighteen | holly & jolly
nineteen | sunny beaches
twenty | house of criminals
twenty-one | two girls
twenty-two | marry him!
twenty-three | dance, love
twenty-four | chaos
twenty-five | a dull cell
twenty-six | a boy's plea
twenty-seven | betrayal
twenty-eight | italian snow
twenty-nine | far gone
thirty | warm embrace
thirty-one | inside injuries
thirty-two | sweet 16
thirty-three | who's harry?

thirteen | crimson red dress

1.6K 40 3
By EvaWerner22

I've been here for an entire month already. Christmas is in the air. 

Why am I settling in?

Why do I feel safe in this manor? With a bunch of killers? 

I can't think this life is normal. If I do, I'll stay. And then I'll be forced to marry a man, probably Warren, who is tangled into the mafia. 

I'd never be able to get out. 

At night, I remind myself of the people my brothers actually are. The monsters that hide underneath their flawless skin. 

They torture. They kill. They make people's lives a living hell.

And I can't sympathize with that. 

I won't. I must maintain my morals up until getting out of here. 

Luke taps my shoulder. He's sitting next to me on the sofa, playing video games. I'm reading. 

I flinch, whipping my head around to face him. "Hm?" I ask. 

His expression is sincere. Concerned. "Are you doing alright, Ev? You've been spacing out the for a few days now." 

My face pales. He noticed? Will he become suspicious of me? Will I never have the chance to leave? 

"Oh... no. No, I haven't," I smile at him. He returns the smile.

"Cool. Want to go to the shopping mall in the city over? The annual ball is coming up, and the Spanish are hosting it! You need a dress." 

———

I didn't even have time to protest before I was whisked away. Now, I stand in the middle of a large shopping mall. 

My four brothers—Cassian, Zachary, Logan, and Luke—are all wearing suits. They have stoic expressions as they look through the racks of dresses. 

Luke holds up a blue dress with puff sleeves. "This one brings out your eyes," He notes. He hands it to the sales-worker. 

I glance around. Our security team is spread out throughout the entire place. Yet still, my heart is rising at every moment. 

Cassian takes out a pink dress with gold highlights. He holds it underneath my chin. "Wow, little sister. I think pink is most definitely your color." 

I roll my eyes, and swat the dress away. "Why do I have to go to this ball, anyway? I'm not in your business," I mumble. 

"Because you're part of this family," Zachary says. 

"And we have to introduce you as the princess of the family. These people—our business partners—haven't seen you since you were six," Logan adds. 

"Besides, you'll look so adorable in a pretty pink dress," Luke teases, pinching my cheek. I glare at him. 

"I'm not a doll." 

"Of course you're not, Ev. You're not still or quiet at all," Logan chuckles. 

A  gunshot rings into the air. 

My senses spike. 

Their light-hearted expressions turn cold. 

I spin around and see two men, dressed in black, hidden behind a fake tree. My brothers surround me. 

They pull out their guns, which were hidden in their jackets, pants... Luke's shoe? Another man is suddenly in the circle. 

"Evelyn, I'm Dean. Your body guard. Follow me, alright?" 

I glance at my four brothers. They don't look at me. They are in a stance, waiting for backup. The rest of the security team is also hidden around the mall, guns trained on the men. 

Luke glances at me. "Go with Dean, Ev. Now." His tone is so harsh. Distant. 

Dean is wearing a long trench coat. He makes me stand inside of it. Since I'm short and small, I can easily blend into its un-ironed wrinkles. 

I can't see where we're walking until he takes my forearm and allows me to step out of my disguise. 

We're standing in an alleyway behind the shopping center. 

A black SUV pulls out in front of us. Dean immediately opens the door and lifts me inside. He sits next to me. 

There are four other men in the car. 

Behind their ears, I see the tattoo of my brothers' mafia: a blood-red flower and a gun. I glance down at my clothes. 

My dress is soaked red. 

Just as I notice this, I become aware of a searing pain in my leg. I gasp. 

Dean glances down, and blood drains from his face. "She's been shot," He says to the man in the seat beside mine. 

My vision gets fuzzy. 

I can feel something tight around my leg. Pressure. Whispers. A phone ringing. 

I feel someone lift me into their arms. 

Safe. 

And then I black out. 

———

It takes me a long time to open my eyes. 

They're heavy. Swollen. 

My muscles ache. My leg feels as thought it's on fire. 

I squint. The lights are off, but natural life seeps in through the window. I turn my head slightly. 

I'm in my bedroom, under a pile of blankets. 

One of my legs is propped up on numerous pillows. I narrow my eyes. But then memories come rushing back. 

I was shot. 

In a shopping center. 

Surrounded by my brothers. 

An uneasy feeling settles in my stomach. I'm never going to be safe here. I'll always be watched by my brothers' enemies. 

The door opens. A woman wearing scrubs steps inside, holding a cup of water. Her eyes widen when she sees me staring at her. 

She smiles gently at me. "Hello, Miss Evelyn. I'm Rachel, one of the Don's nurses. Here," She places the water by my lips. I gratefully gulp it down. 

My arms feel like lead. 

Once I finish the water, she places the cup on my nightstand. "I'll get your brothers." And she's gone. 

She returns with Sullivan and Alexander. 

They look concerned. 

Sullivan rushes up next to me. "Are you alright, Ev? How're you feeling? Do you want some chocolate? Ice cream?" 

Another woman steps inside. "Relax, Mr. Rhodes. Evelyn is lucky," She turns her direction to me, and smiles softly, "I'm Dr. Sanchez. Unfortunately, you'll have to stay in bed for a week or two. Your brothers know how to change the dressing." 

I nod. "Thanks." My voice is scratchy. Soft. 

She gives my brothers a few more instructions before leaving. Alexander stares at me for a long time until he says, "I'm so sorry, Evelyn. That never should have happened. I've taken care of the people responsible for it." 

He killed them. 

Of course. 

Why wouldn't he? 

But a sick feeling enters my stomach and buries itself deep. 

I don't know what to say to them. I know you didn't mean it? I'll be careful when I'm outside? I'll always keep my guard on? 

I don't want to make those promises.

I don't want to live my life in fear. 

Will I be shot today? Kidnapped? Trafficked? Tortured? 

How can I lead a full life living like this?

I just nodded. "Alright." Alexander's face turns stoic. He straightens up, and moves his attention towards Sullivan. 

"Where is Evelyn's personal maid? Didn't I hire one?" He asks. 

"She will be here soon," Sullivan replies. 

My leg begins to ache again. Searing pain. Unbearable. I wince. Immediately, my brothers whip around to face me. 

"Where does it hurt, Ev? I have plenty of medical supplies to help the pain," Sullivan offers. 

"What's the name of the woman who'll be... watching me?" I change the subject. 

Sullivan sighs, narrowing his eyes at me. I smile sheepishly. "Her name is Aurora, and she's twenty. I'm sure you'll love her." 

Aurora. 

Aurora? 

Why does the name sound so... familiar? 

My eyes are wide. 

I look around the foster care waiting room. 

I miss Mum. 

An older girl sits across the room. She's been staring at me for an hour now. 

We're the only ones in here. 

"Hi," I say, "I'm Eve." I smile. 

She looks confused. "I'm Aurora."

She looks familiar. 

Where do I know her from?

The doorbell rings. Sullivan smiles. "Ah. Aurora is here." 

Maybe now I'll find out. 

———

Hi, my readers!

Lots happened in this chapter, huh?

Hopefully you enjoyed it. I want to pick up the pace with this book a little. 

What are your ideas on who Aurora is? Will she be important to the plot? 

How do you think Evelyn getting shot will affect her? 

Time will tell, my friends ;)

Love, 

Eva

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Macrina By Maya F

General Fiction

77K 2.8K 63
"Honestly, I think you're really gonna like New York." "New York? Like New York City, New York?" "The one and only," my cousin grinned, taking a swig...
302K 7.1K 29
This story really have a lot of grammar mistakes but I'll edit it as soon as possible. So, if you are a grammar freak.. DO NOT READ THIS STORY. A...
1M 24.1K 33
"Aurora, get in the goddamn car before I throw you over my shoulder and put you in there myself", One of my brothers say. I roll my eyes at them. Thr...
3M 79.5K 50
She's a fifteen-year-old girl who killed her "father" in self-defense and lied about it to the police. She thinks she has no other family members and...