A COURT OF SHIFTERS AND SECRE...

By Mk1120

Finding out that your parents, the people that raised you your whole life, weren't your actual parents was ha... More

O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y - O N E
T W E N T Y - T W O
T W E N T Y - T H R E E
T W E N T Y - F O U R
T W E N T Y - F I V E
T W E N T Y - S I X
T W E N T Y - S E V E N
T W E N T Y - E I G H T
T W E N T Y - N I N E
T H I R T Y
T H I R T Y - O N E
T H I R T Y - T H R E E
T H I R T Y - F O U R
T H I R T Y - F I V E
T H I R T Y - S I X
T H I R T Y - S E V E N
T H I R T Y - E I G H T
T H I R T Y - N I N E
F O U R T Y
F O U R T Y - O N E
F O U R T Y - T W O
F O U R T Y - T H R E E
F O U R T Y - F O U R
F O U R T Y - F I V E
F O U R T Y - S I X

T H I R T Y - T W O

874 75 4
By Mk1120

NOVA

I was at my desk, the one closest to the window, looking at the darkening sky when I felt a presence take the seat next to me.

When I looked over and found the familiar face staring back at me in amusement, I nearly sagged in relief.

"Charlie" I beamed at him "I didn't know we shared this class."

"We didn't until an hour ago" he grinned, pulling out a notebook and pencil case "Turns out, I'm behind in the competition and need to catch up."

"What competition?"

"The one for Valedictorian" he said "It's between me and one other person."

"Who?"

His lips pursed but I didn't miss the way his eyes drifted to the guy from our Defense class, the one that currently sat rigidly in his seat a few rows down.

"Oh" I said, clicking my pen twice as I thought about my next words "Am I ever going to get the story behind you two?"

"There's nothing to tell" Charlie said softly, ripping his eyes away from the guy and focusing on the white board, his jaw clenched tightly as he continued to look straight ahead.

"It sure doesn't seem like nothing to me" I said, my tone just as soft "It looks like you two have history."

He looked away.

"He has a history with a misconstrued past" Charlie said "Something he made very clear that he wants nothing to do with anymore."

"People have regrets" I murmured as the teacher walked into class "People also say things they don't mean in the heat of the moment."

He glanced at me "I never believed in that saying."

"Why not?"

"The anger doesn't make someone's words venomous " he said "The anger just gives them the nerve to say what they couldn't before."

I blinked at him "I didn't know you were a philosopher."

He cracked a smile, releasing the small tension that arose at the touchy subject.

"I'm a man of many talents Heir Lupine" he nudged my shoulder "Stick around and maybe you'll end up learning a thing or two."

"Maybe" I snorted "Maybe not."

"Alright class" the Professor cleared his throat "Let's begin."

~~~~~~~~~

My next class wasn't nearly enjoyable as the one I shared with Charlie.

And considering this class was the equivalent to a Human World history course, I was quite literally bored out of my mind.

The Professor just read off of his slides word for word, and since I had a copy of them, it was like I was basically teaching myself at this point.

Something I could gladly do in the comfort of my own room, surrounded by a plethora of snacks and my dog.

I was about to zone out completely when one sentence stood out from the rest, which had my gaze swinging towards powerpoint.

"The Equinox is considered one of the greatest accomplishments the light Fae have ever crafted" Professor Wynchester said "For it not only keeps out the Dark fae and their creatures of the night, but also creates balance between the Four Seasonal Kingdoms."

"How so?" My question came out so fast that it not only startled the other students but also startled the Professor.

He cleared his throat "Pardon?"

"How does a big barrier, that cuts them off from the rest of the world, create balance?"

Giggles and scoffs sounded throughout the whole classroom.

The Professor leaned back on the edge of his desk "Within the Equinox, the Kings and Queen of the Seasonal Realm are at an equal advantage" he said "One does not have more or less power than the other. They all have the same amount."

"How?" I sat forward in my seat "I thought there were no limits when it came to the Fae power?"

"It was a sacrifice on the Fae's part" Professor Wynchester explained "Creating the Equinox, the one thing that keep the evil away from the good, took a lot of power from the Fae Royals. It still does in fact. In order to keep the Equinox indestructible, the Royals must act as a conduit and have their powers funneled into the shield at a constant rate."

I reared my head back "If that's the case, then why did the Fae build the Equinox then?" I asked "If it's funneling so much of their powers, then why do they continue to keep it around?"

Murmurs of 'What a stupid question' or 'Someone didn't brush up on her history' sounded throughout the class.

"Because of the Dark Fae duh" Someone whispered. 

I ignored them, choosing to keep my eyes on the Professor who was looking contemplative. 

"I'm not quite sure I understand your question Ms. Lupine" he said slowly "Can you please explain a bit further?" 

"I understand that the Equinox was built to keep the Dark Fae out" I said, shooting a glare at everyone in the room "But what I don't understand is what the purpose was of locking their own people inside? If the Equinox cuts off all portals from the Seasonal Realm, with no one coming in or out, and takes away their power, why would they willingly choose to keep it? From my understanding, there's been no sightings or attacks from the Dark Fae in centuries." 

"Why would any nation keep something they worked so hard to create?" The Professor countered "Like the human's Great Wall of China, or the boarders around some countries, while the threat isn't present in the moment, that's doesn't mean it still doesn't exist. While there's been no sightings doesn't mean the Dark Fae still aren't out there." 

"But to keep themselves in that position?' I shook my head "What would they gain by keeping it up? Even if the Dark fae did come back, there could be other solutions they can use now instead of the limited options they have centuries ago."

Translation: What were the Fae trying to hide?" 

"While we don't know the motives behind the Fae's ways, there have been speculations behind why the Equinox still stands." 

"And...?" 

Before he could answer my question, a familiar hand shot up, making me glare at the back of the red hairs head. 

"Professor Wynchester, I think we're getting a little off topic here" Holly O'Hare, one of Saoirse's friends and sidekick, irritating voice rang out "If Nova wants to learn more about the Fae and the Equinox, I think she should do so on her own time, so it doesn't take away from the rest of our studies"

She shot me a smug look "Or maybe she could go back a couple of grades and learn her own history first before trying to understand another faction's." 

"Someone should go back to the salon and learn how long she should wait before her next touch up" I grumbled "Your fried roots are showing."

She gasped while everyone else sputtered out laughs. 

Shit....I forgot about the Wolf hearing.

Or did I?

"It wasn't that funny!" She snapped at her the boy right next to her "She's not a fucking comedian." 

"She's not wrong though" Someone snickered which had the class laughing even harder "Holls, I thought you said you were a natural redhead?"

Her face turned beat red, matching her fake hair and she growled in outrage "I am!" 

"Not from where we're sitting" the person said "Who would have knew?"

"You should have" Another voice giggled "You dated her for three months!" 

"When I dated her everything matched!"

If possible, Holly turned an even deeper shade of red, slinking down in her seat and hiding behind her tablet. 

I would have felt bad for her if she wasn't being such a raging bitch.

"Class!" The professor snapped "Let's get back to the topic at hand."

He shot me an apologetic look "I'm sorry Ms. Lupine, but I must get back to todays lesson. If you wish to know more about the Equinox, I suggest you asked our Librarian."

~~~~~~

"Is it true?"

I flinched as Jade basically slammed her tray on the table, right next to mine.

"Is what true?" 

"Did you start a fight with Holly O'Hare today in fourth period?" She asked, curiosity blazing in her eyes as she took her seat next to me "I heard that you fought with her today."

Before I could answer her, another body joined our table, taking my other side.

"You fought with Holly today?" Charlie whistled low "I leave you alone for two periods and you decide to act out? Jeez girl, I didn't know you'd miss me that bad." 

I rolled my eyes, reaching for my apple "You're an idiot." 

"That may be" he nodded his head "But I didn't hear a denial of a fight in there." 

"Neither did I" Jade sang "So...did you?" 

"No" I sighed "Why does everyone assume I'm the one that always starts these fights? Am I that big of an asshole?" 

Their moment of silence had me grinning.

I threw a piece of my apple at them.

Jade expertly dodge my apple missile while Charlie caught it in his mouth like it was a treat.

"An asshole no" Charlie answered, digging into what looked like a black bean burger "But you do have a resting bitch face."

"You know, you're not the first person to tell me that" I hummed "My best friends tell me that all the time." 

"Ouch" Charlie grabbed his chest like he was in pain "Way to wound my already fragile heart Nova Lupine."

My lips twitched in amusement "It takes a little more than pulling your punches to consider you my best friend Charls." 

His eyes widened as his mouth popped open in surprise "How did you...?" 

"I train with Phoenix the same time you're in Coach's class" I smiled at him "I was coming back from the locker room on the other end of the stadium when I saw you take down three dudes at once, knocking them out flat." 

He blushed, turning his head as he munched on his sweet potato fries. 

"Why'd you pull your punches Charlie?" 

"I didn't want to hurt you." 

"I believe that" I told him honestly "But I don't think that's the entire reason behind your decision." 

"I would have followed the order regardless" he mumbled to himself "You're...different than the others." 

"Who ordered you Charls?" 

"Don't get mad at him" A very familiar voice rang out "He was just doing what I asked of him." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.7M 880K 55
I glared up at him my eyes narrowed, "Excuse me?" I was beyond livid by the words that just came out of his mouth. My glare didn't falter when Parker...
298K 10.6K 56
Being a alpha/beta wolf is not all its out to be. Theo being the son of an alpha and beta has strength and anger like no other. The only ones to calm...
570 9 12
Finally he's directly in front of me I cant bare to look into his eyes, to look into an Alphas eyes is a direct challenge. I see his hand abruptly ra...
2.2K 118 36
Michelle's life was almost perfect. Loving family, great college, perfect grades, good friends, and a crush on one of the sweetest guys she's met. Th...