Fabula

By zacharyseda

Collection of Short Stories. From horror to drama, science fiction to fantasy, there's a story for everyone h... More

Justify
Doll House
VR
Beautiful Dream in a Nightmare
The Hunter

The Garden

0 0 0
By zacharyseda

"Spirits will always get their revenge..."

Stepping out the door and gently shutting it, I strutted down the steps to the sidewalk below. The night sent chills down my back as I made my way home. As I adjusted my leather jacket to better keep me warm, I smile to myself, happy to be out of that place for good. Like a weight being lifted off my shoulders.

It was time to move on without people like him.

A sexist egotistical little man. My feelings, goals, even my dreams meant nothing to him. He didn't care for me, never did. He was only after what I and others would offer.

I didn't have proof, but I could tell. His smiles and phone usage revealed his longing for another. Like everyone else, never content.

Didn't matter now. I'm my own person. One day I'll find someone else who treats me right. Until then, I'll embrace the single life.

The walk home from his place never changed until today. I felt a detour would complement the recent breakup. A trip through the town's garden would do.

On my way, I walk past a man in his mid forties. His hair was long, black, and styled in a spiky fashion, complementing his chiseled jawline. He smiled at me with his dark brown eyes, his smile showing perfect white teeth.

I smiled back, doing my best to look interested, but not too interested.

The man stopped to introduce himself. "Hello miss, names Brandon. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasures all mine," I replied, taking in more than just his face. I didn't care if he saw anymore, I wanted him to know.

The man chuckled softly, "May I ask you to have a cup of coffee with me tomorrow morning, miss?"

"Angelica," I said, "And you may."

We exchanged phone numbers with his promise to message me as soon as he got home. After his departure, I continued on my journey to the garden, butterflies fluttering inside.

Approaching the town's garden, I stopped at the closed gate. I was fortunate the gate was still unlocked. It appeared to be just me here. Squinting inside, I could see a rainbow of flowers surrounding the area. The rose, my preferred type, was on the right side.

Opening the creaking gate, I stepped inside, immediately bombarded with a multitude of aromas. A fountain sat in the center of the garden, several layers tall, with lights for each section. Water spouted out of the top and cascaded down the sides of each layer.

Stepping up to it, I tossed a penny into the bottom layer, making a wish. Maybe there were superstitious reasons for it, but I liked to pretend that my wish would come true one day.

Growing bored, I skipped on the rocky pathways that branched in many directions, targeting the roses to the right of the entrance. I savored the moment, admiring the flowers and walking through the paths.

That's when I noticed the statues around. A couple stood nearby while another pair stood on the other side of the garden. Each held a different pose, most of which one would assume meant peace and harmony. I stared in awe at them, their perfect marble cuts forming semi-realistic masterpieces.

The only part that threw me off were the faces. Rather, lack of faces. Instead, it was an empty smooth surface from which desperately begged for detail. All the statues looked towards the sky, but staring at nothing since none could stare.

Pulling my attention away from the statues, I frolicked through the garden some more, opting to not take the paths but through the dirt where the flowers grew. It was against the rules, but mostly unnoticed at night.

Plus, it made me feel good.

Water splashed on my legs as I accidentally landed in a small man-made stream, but nothing could ruin my mood tonight.

Nothing.

The sound of crumbling rocks sounded behind me. I turned toward the statues I was just by assuming someone entered the garden too. I jumped back on the path to avoid trouble, but nobody was there.

The statues caught my attention again, as they were one of the few things in the garden that could make crumbling sounds. The thought of a broken statue crossed my mind, but then I recalled their appearance from earlier. Their positions didn't match my memory.

I shook my head and rubbed my eyes, looking back at the statues, but they didn't change. Assuming I remembered incorrectly, I made my way to the garden's gateway once more. It was obvious that I was too tired to be out.

More rocks crumbled, causing me to look back at the two statues. I gasped, feeling my heart lurch forward before speeding up. My eyes revealed an image that I couldn't comprehend, couldn't fathom being real.

Each statue's blank face appeared to stare at me. I turned my gaze towards the other two statues on my left. They, too, mimicked the same movements, as if all four were in unison. A hive mind.

My heart raced to the point it was the loudest noise I could hear. Even the fountain didn't compare.

I glanced at the fountain, realizing it no longer was on.

The sounds of rock shot through my ears again. The statues on either side displayed different scenarios. The first pair showed one standing above the other as if the dominant one was gearing to attack. The second pair showed one pleading for the other not to attack, the pleading one showing damage to its head.

Each time I turned between the pairs, a new scene revealed itself. Each time it was one hurting the other until the last scene showed one laying on the ground motionless. The dominant one stood triumphantly above, a small cut on its left arm from the fight.

The eerie resemblance of my own memories wasn't lost on me. I looked down at hands, pulling the jacket up my left arm to reveal the same cut, already bleed through the bandages I used at his house.

Desiring to escape this nightmare, I pulled on the gate. They didn't budge. Ice slithered down my spine. Sweat dripped from my brow as I turned back around, feeling trapped.

My breath caught, and I choked on air. The statues no longer stood on their pedestals. They were in the dirt paths, frozen in place, but making their way to me.

"Stay away!" I screamed at them. The four of them stood unmoving.

A car drove past. I turned to call for help, but it sped off too quickly to notice anything. I turned back around, knowing the statues would have surely moved closer, cursing myself for having gotten distracted.

They were very close now. The silence of the night now held soft murmurs. They were difficult to make out, but some words came through.

Angelica. Cannot. Run. Actions. Cannot. Leave. Suffer.

The last world sent another child down my spine and I dropped to my knees in front of the statues. I rubbed my eyes for a moment to wipe away the seat and they scooted closer.

"Please," I begged them, "I'll do anything. Please don't hurt me."

The murmurs grew louder and much clearer.

"Angie, stop!" shouted a man I recognized as Tommy. "Please stop this!"

"What did I do to you?" cried another voice, the owner being John, "Please...don't hurt me!"

"Why Angelica!" screamed Becky, "I thought we loved each other!"

"No more cheating," I said to each of them coldly, "I know you did. You will suffer for cheating on me."

Faithful. Loyal.

I didn't understand. "They cheated. I didn't know what to do."

No...

I blinked, and they shot forward, hands outstretched, ready to snatch me. I fell onto the ground, crawling backwards to evade their hands.

Suffer... Like them...

The gate creaked, and I instinctively turned, hoping it was someone to rescue me. But no one showed. The gate creaked open slightly, enough to make my escape, but it was all their plan. Another means of distraction.

Silence brewed again. Darkness creeping around me. Tears streaked down my face as I reflected on my life. I didn't get long as stone cold hands grabbed me forcefully. I tried to open my eyes, but they could not.

And all was black.

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this story, give it a vote! Also, feel free to check out my other work, you just might like them too!

Question: What's your favorite book?

And finally, have a wonderful day! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50 23 5
Various short stories ranging from horror, to steampunk, to high fantasy.
21 2 51
A collection of shorts stories set in a world where the line between magic and science in just a blur.
78 2 10
A collection of short horror, sci fi and other wierd tales.