Gravity - B. Barnes

By HappyhappyLilyday

"Kit Kat?" "Samantha!" Sam Wilson is reunited with an old friend living in New York while visiting Bucky Barn... More

-1-
-2-
-3-
-4-
-5-
-6-
-7-
-8-
-9-
-10-
-11-
-12-
-13-
-14-
-15-
-16-
-17-

-18-

128 5 3
By HappyhappyLilyday

"Good morning." Bucky glanced up as Sam entered the kitchen, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Morning."

"Last day here. You got big plans?" Sam wiggled his eyebrows.

"I have to see where the day leads."

"Where the day- Just take her out on the damn boat and do it already."

"Do it?"

Sam choked on his coffee. "The thing! Not- You're the worst. Now I'm never gonna get that image out of my mind. I take it back. No boat for you. I don't want you two doing anything nasty on my boat."

Bucky laughed. "I'm sorry. It was too easy."

"Mhm. Where is KitKat anyway?"

"Running. She had a rough night, got up early, left me a note. She should be back soon." Bucky pulled out his phone and showed Sam the running app tracking Kat's route.

"You got big plans for today, though, right? I mean, wasn't that why you came down here?"

"Not really. She really wanted to see you. You've been too busy."

"Yeah, I have. Thanks for coming. It's good to laugh with her again, man. She's trouble though."

"You talking crap about me behind my back again, Samantha?"

Sam choked on his coffee again and Bucky laughed, smacking his back to help clear it as he passed by Sam. He picked up Kat in a hug and kissed her.

Kat giggled but scrunched her nose. "Ew, don't touch me. I'm all sweaty." She swiped at his shirt, trying to wipe off the stains of sweat left behind from their embrace.

Bucky glanced down and smirked at her. "Worth it."

"Gross," Sam muttered from behind Bucky.

"How was your run?" Bucky leaned against the counter as Kat grabbed a water bottle from the fridge.

"Hot and sticky, but good."

"Like you."

Kat rolled her eyes at Bucky. "Anyway...Cleared my head and had a personal best time." She high-fived Bucky as she took a swig of her water and walked by. "So what are we doing today? Sammy?"

"Don't look at me. I'm working on the boat this morning then helping some folks around town. Bucky's the tour guide."

Kat glanced at Bucky.

"I've got some ideas." Bucky winked at her.

Kat narrowed her eyes. "Do I get to see the boat at least, Mr. Tour Guide? I haven't been out on it yet."

"Sam?" Bucky turned to Sam, who looked confused. "I've got some errands this morning. Maybe you can take Kat out for a joyride while I do that?"

"Uh...sure. I'd love some one on one time with my girl."

Kat grinned. "Yes! Alright, let me get cleaned up and we can go. Ooh! But let's pack some water and snacks. I'm starved."

Bucky watched her as she took the stairs two at a time and disappeared.

"Who knew Bucky Barnes would become nothing but a lovesick puppy?"

Bucky frowned as Sam smirked at him. "Shut up."

Sam laughed. "You better pack your girl her snacks, man. I don't want a hangry Kat on that boat. She might eat me." Sam patted Bucky in the shoulder before he headed upstairs as well, leaving Bucky to plan the day and think of all the possibilities the future could hold.

~<>~

"Hey, handsome!"

Kat's voice floated through the air to Bucky, who turned from where he was chatting with one of the fishermen, clapping him on the shoulder before jogging over to the edge of the dock.

"Kat, wait-" Sam warned as the boat pulled up alongside the dock. Before the boat stopped, Kat was leaping across the gap and into Bucky's arms. "Are you trying to give me a heart attack?!"

Kat chuckled. "Aw, come on, Samantha. I knew he'd catch me. He always does."

Bucky smiled at the beaming, confident smile on Kat's face. He stared at her, trying to memorize this look, this moment, before she rose on her toes and kissed him quickly.

"You two make me sick. Buck! Help tie it off." Sam tossed a rope to Bucky, who easily snatched it and moved to secure the boat to the dock. Sam stepped off and tried to smooth Kat's wind blown hair. "Well, KitKat, I've got work to do on this beauty, so this is where I leave you. But you're in good hands."

"Yeah I am." Kat grinned at Bucky, who wiggled his eyebrows at her.

Sam pretended to gag. "Go! Get out of here before you lovebirds ruin my lunch." Kat laughed as Sam shoved her and she flicked water from her water bottle at Sam, who pointed at her. "You're lucky I'm hot and that felt good."

Kat burst into laughter again before blowing a kiss and a wink at Sam. "Love you!"

Bucky laughed with her as he draped an arm over her shoulders.

"Where to now?"

"I've got some ideas." He pulled open the door of the car and Kat climbed in before he rounded the car and drove off.

They strolled through the park, where Bucky laid out a picnic with poboys and beignets. Kat had laughed when Bucky tried to rent them a bicycle built for two, only to end up with a bicycle built for a teenager - the last available that day - and then laughed even more when she'd had to sit on the handlebars as Bucky stood to pedal. He'd taken her to a bakery in town, where he'd arranged for them to bake their own cake which they took back to Sam and Sarah's house, leaving it on the counter.

Which was precisely where Sam found Bucky before dinner that night as he came back from the boat.

"Hey, Buck. How was your day? Huh? Huh?" He bumped Bucky with his shoulder, and then frowned at Bucky's horrified expression. "What happened?"

"It's gone."

"What?"

"I...Sam, I don't- I lost it."

"Wait, you're for real? I've been messing with you, man. I didn't know you were actually gonna propose!"

"It doesn't matter because it's gone."

"We'll call Charlene. Maybe-"

"Sam, it's not necessarily at her bakery. We were all over this town today. It could be anywhere."

"She won't care." Both men turned to Sarah as she entered the kitchen. "If the moment's right, just do it. She cares about you, not some piece of jewelry."

"But-"

"Trust me on this. Now get out of my kitchen so I can make dinner to go with this beautiful cake." Sarah shoved the men out the door, where they found AJ and Cass chasing each other with water balloons. As they caught sight of Bucky and Sam, they both raced toward them with mischievous grins.

"Oh no. Don't even think about it!" Sam warned as he and Bucky sat on the porch steps. The boys groaned in defeat and took off after each other again.

A few minutes later, water poured over Bucky's head, followed by high pitched giggles and racing footsteps. Bucky glanced behind him and caught a glimpse of Kat as she tore around the side of the house. "You're dead, Johnson!" Bucky bellowed, but he couldn't hold the smile off his face, especially after her laughter caught him again.

"Boys, save me!" Kat shrieked before Bucky caught her and threw her over his shoulder. AJ and Cass laughed as they hurled water balloons at the super soldier, soaking not only him but Kat as well. Bucky toss Kat down before he snatched the hose and the boys ran, but not before Bucky soaked them too as Kat tackled him to the ground. Then Cass and AJ joined the fray, diving on top of Bucky and Kat. Kat then rolled the boys off and started tickling them, wrestling with them alongside Bucky and pretending to lose.

"Boys, stop attacking our guests and get cleaned up for dinner." Sarah shouted, and while she sounded upset, she was grinning with Sam laughing beside her. AJ and Cass whined as they raced up the stairs and into the house.

Kat sat up, laughing still, and glanced at Bucky, who was still lying on his back on the ground, a goofy smile on his face. He made to move and Kat put a hand on his chest. "Hold on. You've got-" She chuckled. "You've got water balloon pieces in your hair."

Bucky watched Kat as she sat beside him, grin on her face, laughter and fondness in her eyes, as she plucked plastic out of his hair. His heart felt like it might explode with love for her. "Marry me."

Kat stilled, barely hearing the muttered words, her eyes flicking to his. "What?"

Bucky leaned up on an elbow. "Marry me. Kat, I love you and I want to be able to do this for the rest of my life."

"You want...to throw water balloons at each other for the rest of your life?" She smirked at him.

Bucky chuckled. "Not exactly but sure. No, I- I want to wake up to you every day and be goofy with you and... bake with you and chase kids around with you and-"

"Kids? Like...our kids? Together?"

"I...well, if you want that too then-"

"I do."

"Okay...so will you? Marry me?"

"Of course I will, you idiot!"

"Yes?"

"Yes."

"Yes!" Bucky surged forward, engulfing Kat in his arms and smothering her in kisses on the grass as she laughed. "I love you, pisicuta."

"I love you too, handsome." Her brow furrowed as Bucky's face fell. "What's wrong?"

"I...don't have a ring. I mean, I did but I-"

"Hey, Buck! Charlene's here to see you." Sam winked.

Bucky glanced at Kat, a crooked smile on his face. "Hold that thought." He stood, trotting toward the porch steps and called to Sam. "Send her back."

Charlene emerged onto the back porch at Sam's nod. "Thought you might be looking for this."

Bucky grinned. "Thank you." He quickly hugged Charlene and raced down the steps to Kat. "It's a little late but-" He opened his hand to reveal the ring he'd designed for her.

Kat's hand flew to her mouth. "Bucky, it's beautiful!"

"Just like you. Can I?" Kat nodded and Bucky slipped the ring on her finger.

"Finally! Woo!" They both glanced over at Sam, standing on the porch, arms in the air in celebration. "Sarah! I'm gonna be a best man! Cake for everyone!"

Kat laughed and Bucky rolled his eyes as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "Is he talking about you or me?"

"Does it matter? He's not in the wedding."

Kat laughed. "Me then." She kissed him, both still soaking wet, before grinning at him. "This is gonna be fun."

"A lifetime of fun."

"Bring it on, super soldier."

THE END.

Author's Note: thanks for sticking with this, y'all. Please, any rewrite or constructive ideas are very welcome. I got a little stuck in some parts, trying to establish the relationship and make it believable. Thanks again!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 4.6K 27
Set 6 months after endgame, Sam decided not to take up the mantle of captain America and when he gives away the shield nothing but bad comes out of i...
54.4K 1.4K 22
After the events of the previous year, the increase of population and the rise of the Flag Smashers, Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes are both having a ha...
12.4K 693 33
Calliope swore off dating after breaking up with James, he refused to let her in and they only ever argued. She started going running and met a new g...
5.7K 132 34
Darla was a simple girl born in West Virginia in the late 1910s. She grew up a kind, smart, generous and caring person. So.. how exactly did she find...