[Mihawk x Reader] The stronge...

נכתב על ידי NaraEragon

"The witch and the kid" or "See you at the witch's gatherings" trend Reader is my OC and has a name Tags: men... עוד

1. The begining
Unsual day with Mihawk(s)
Folach
News
My fanart
Fanart 2
Protective
Valentine's Day

Bad Dream

93 4 0
נכתב על ידי NaraEragon

There wasn't much information about Yidhra's background since she was a mystery by all means, but Mihawk seemed fine with that. He had accepted her offer to be his guardian from their first meeting without much consideration so her past shouldn't bother him in the first place. However, it's natural to be curious about someone's past, is it not? Not to mention Yidhra was his mentor and foster mother, there was nothing wrong if he wanted to know about her further than he already did.

Besides knowing his mentor was a very strong witch and she probably had lived a long time before his birth. Mihawk was told by Yidhra herself that she didn't take the human form at first.

"I had lived a life of a monster before taking this humanoid appearance. I lack human emotions and feelings. Most of the time, I would act on animal instincts." When Yidhra first took him to her land, she had explained her state.

To be honest, Mihawk couldn't help but be afraid, even just for a moment. Who wouldn't if the person who just saved you turned out to be not a human but a monster? He even had a thought that Yidhra's intention of raising him was to eat him when he grew older. He dared to ask her directly.

"Are you... going to eat me?"

The question stopped Yidhra on her steps as she turned to look at the little boy with her emotionless expression. At that time, her red serpentine eyes sent chills down Mihawk's spine since he had yet to get used to them.

"What makes thee have such thoughts?"

Mihawk hesitantly avoided the witch's gaze.

"...I... well, you just told me you're... a monster."

"And?"

"There are no reasons for you to take care of me, a human child." The more he said, the more unease he felt. His hands instinctively gripped his sword tighter while the palms of his hands were all sweated. If this situation turned out badly and the witch truly wanted to eat him, he... he didn't know if he could even put up a fight against her and escape. Especially when he was already on her land, a realm that was completely isolated from the outside world.

Her low chuckles were unexpected as Mihawk looked up at Yidhra with surprise and saw her smile for the first time. The witch's gaze fell on him again but it was softer than before.

"That is indeed true in human perspectives and perhaps in general. Monsters are mindless beasts and cannot communicate with other races or so many believe. It does not make sense when a monster adopts a human child, yes?"

The witch was being reasonable. That was a good sign, wasn't it?

"I understand if thee does not trust me. After all, we art still strangers. However, thou art a smart one, try to think of it. If I wanted to devour thee, I would have done so when we met at the cave. Why would I bother to offer my prey a place to stay?"

She made sense but that was the most confusing part. She was a monster and if she had no intention of hurting or feasting on him, what would she want with him? She had no reason to help him, providing him a place to stay and... teaching him how to fight.

Did she plan on making him owe her a debt and later... control him?

"Then why? Why must you help me?"

"Consider this as a payment for a debt."

Huh? Now Mihawk was even more confused "What... do you mean?"

"Helping thou is a payment I must fulfill as I have a debt of my own."

Wait. So that meant she was helping him because someone asked her to since she owed them?

But who on earth would ask a monster to take care of a human child? Didn't they think of the consequences that the monster may... 'accidentally' kill the child?

Yidhra observed the little boy's expression and answered as if she knew what was on his mind "I may originally be a monster, but I know best about keeping promises, unlike humans." Mihawk had seen the ugly sides of humans so he couldn't argue with that "Until thou reached thy adulthood and left on thy will, I shall take care of thee with my best abilities. Thou may not need to grow a connection to this monster, just accept the offer and live how thee feel the most comfortable. And one last thing, I shall not 'accidentally' eat thee."

Mihawk coughed embarrassingly at that last statement but he got the whole picture now. Yidhra just simply took him under her wing due to a debt she owed to someone. He may do whatever he wants while she provides him with everything he needs, and he wouldn't have to be attached to her if he was still alerted of her true identity.

To sum up, Yidhra wouldn't hurt him during their time living together. To a child as he was, this was enough. And since the witch said she did this because of her debt, she was definitely trustworthy to keep her promise. A monster or not, it's best if every individual always keeps their word. Mihawk closed his eyes and let out a short sigh.

How ironic that a monster can keep promises but humans don't. More or less, it was humans who had hurt him so in this case, he knew who to trust.

...

It had been quite a time since the occasion that Yidhra revealed her true identity to Mihawk, the witch had proved that she did best in providing him with all the requirements. Slowly, Mihawk unconsciously opened his heart to her and grew attached to her as well, even though she told him not to in the first place.

Yidhra didn't overstate the fact that she lacked human emotions. She didn't express love, anger, sadness, or anything on her face. However, she knew how to praise him and reassured or scolded him every time he made mistakes. She showed her moods and care through her actions.

And at least she learned how to smile when she is pleased and Mihawk had to admit, she was beautiful when she smiled.

Sometimes he wondered what her monster form looked like. Yidhra told him that form was no longer necessary to the point that she wouldn't use it anymore, much to his curiosity but there wasn't anything he could do about it.

As time passed by, Yidhra started learning how to interact with other humans as well since she opened a plant shop to cover up their story, and to make money. Her smile and politeness came so naturally that if it wasn't for Mihawk already knowing her true identity, he wouldn't doubt that she was a completely normal human.

Anyway, that was the superficiality of the story. Yidhra had a secret secondary job that helped them earn more money: bounty hunter. When night fell, she would venture outside the sea, hunt down pirates near the area, and hand them over to the Navy. Of course, she must conceal herself with another identity and form as she fights with her magic or sometimes uses her monster form. Therefore, Yidhra couldn't risk the Navy or any individual knowing about her as a witch or a monster. At least until Mihawk is old enough to leave and live on his own.

So, that was how Yidhra managed to earn profits and fulfill both her and Mihawk's needs. So far, everything seemed alright until Mihawk started seeing nightmares.

It was a pitch black night without stars, the breeze was colder than usual so Mihawk saw the people of the town lit up a big bonfire in the center square. The Navy was with them and everybody was shouting angrily at something in the middle of the fire.

It looked like someone was being tied to the pillar in the fire.

This conclusion brought Mihawk to horror. How could people act so barbaric like in medieval times? Burning someone alive? And did the Navy take responsibility for this?

The crowd was pushing Mihawk from here to there and somehow he managed to get to the frontline. The faces of the townspeople and the Navy were all blurred, Mihawk could only hear their shouts but even their voices were muffled. However, he could see the face of the person who was on fire clearly despite their ragged state.

That was Yidhra. She was beaten up so badly and even her eyes were plucked out, leaving only two hollow holes with blood tears streaming down her cheeks.

The realization hit Mihawk hard with fear as the shouts of the crowd were clearer and louder. They all shouted 'Burn the witch. Kill the monster' in union, weapons in hands, and raise them up high as the fire slowly devoured the witch's slender form. Her agonizing scream filled the air, piercing Mihawk's ears as fury rose within him.

How dare these people do this to her - his mentor, the woman who has been taking care of him? Has she ever done anything that harms them?!?

How could they???

As frustrated as he was, he must save her first! He must get her off the pillar before the fire consumes her whole!

But then everything started to blur, twisted like layers of illusions like the kaleidoscope. The townspeople and the navy merged together with the fire that was burning the witch. Everything started becoming hallucinating in his eyes. No matter how fast he ran towards the witch, the longer the path became. He desperately reached his hand out to her as he screamed at the top of his lungs but no sounds were heard. The hallucination of the townspeople became the obstacle that stopped him from reaching the witch, leaving him helplessly watching her form withered by the fire.

When darkness filled his vision, the ground under his feet vanished. He fell into the pit of the abyss beneath him as he kept calling his mentor's name, hopefully she would respond to him.

However, only darkness and silence answered him.

He couldn't see anymore, not his hands, his body. He couldn't hear anymore, not his voice, his scream. He couldn't think anymore as his mind started drifting off but... he felt the corner of his eyes wet.

Was he crying? For the fact that he couldn't save the woman who had been taking good care of him, knowing he lost her forever?

Mihawk jolted awake, gasping from the tension he had been through. His body shook violently as he was trying to breathe the air he thought he had lost. A hand rested on his shoulder, came with a familiar voice that startled him.

"Calm thyself, dalta. Thou almost killed thyself a moment ago."

Until then a soft scent filled his nostrils, calming his mind. His head spun around to catch a full view of Yidhra - completely healthy and undamaged, who was looking at him with a hint of concern in her red eyes. The emotions built up within him from the scene earlier slowly came off.

The rage, sorrow and despair of witnessing his mentor dying in front of him and he was helpless to save her. Fortunately, it was just a nightmare.

Out of instinct, Mihawk wrapped his arms around her form without hesitation. He breathed in her scent, feeling her warmth and heartbeat, the proof that she was alive and unharmed.

Thank god, none of that was real.

Then Mihawk came to realize he wasn't strong enough to fight on his own, not to mention... he couldn't protect the woman who held an important position in his heart.

This was a nightmare today, but what if it really happened in the future, when he had yet to become strong?

He would lose her, undoubtedly. It was something he couldn't bear.

Yidhra stared at the boy's small shivering form, gently rubbing his back reassuringly "Whatever thou have seen in thy dream, they art not real." Thus, the witch was wondering what kind of scenario could make her pupil react this way.

Compared to other children of this age, Mihawk was a tough child in both mind and body, she was sure of it. He had good control over his demeanor and emotion at such a young age but... Yidhra thought it would be okay if he showed his vulnerable and childish side sometimes. She could learn how to spoil him, no problem.

Even adults and animals wanted cuddles sometimes so why couldn't the children?

It's just... her pupil is such a stubborn child.

Perhaps she should ask other mothers in the town about interactions that make the children more comfortable?! Oh wait, they did mention 'hugging'. Yidhra looked at the boy again, wasn't he hugging her right now?

"...I saw you... being burned alive by the townspeople and... the Navy." Mihawk's shaken voice was heard from where he buried his face in her belly, his grip on her tightened. It was a rare sight that Mihawk showed this fragile side of him "It was so real... a-and... I..."

"Thou was scared." The witch simply stated without emotions, her hands continued to caress his back.

"...Y-yes. I thought I had lost you..." A tiny sob was heard from the boy "I...I don't think I can handle that. Not after everything you did for me..."

The witch's red eyes seemed complicated as she looked at the little boy who was still shivering from the bad dream on her lap. He had begun attaching to her. Up to this point, Yidhra didn't know if she should go against the idea or let things flow naturally. She knew she was changing unconsciously due to the interactions she learned from humans. Even if the purpose was to create a comfortable atmosphere for her pupil at first, she started growing habits as well.

It would be a lie if Yidhra said she didn't enjoy the boy's determination and joy every time he spoke of his goal. Or when she praised him for succeeding in his tasks or archiving something unexpected. She also liked patting the boy's soft hair out of nowhere, like patting a small animal.

And at this moment when Mihawk said he didn't want to lose her, a strange feeling Yidhra never felt before bloomed inside her heart.

Is this what humans call 'bond' between individuals? She can feel it? Did she grow attached to him as well? A monster? How odd.

That said, Yidhra didn't try to deny it because she enjoyed the presence of this small human child by her side. Even if the whole thing didn't start with sympathetic feelings, Yidhra genuinely wanted to protect this boy and was eager to see how he would shine in the future.

Yidhra wrapped her arms around Mihawk's small form which made him stunned for a moment because she had never hugged him before. She carefully chose a better choice of words to reassure him "I shall remain here always and eternity. I shall not wither by the hands of man. So dear dalta of mine, if thou art worrying I may no longer exist by thy side, let it loose." A genuine smile spread on her lips as the boy finally looked up from his position with red bags under his eyes "Unless thou decide to leave me."

"No! I'll never leave you!" Mihawk replied without hesitation "I want to spend the rest of my life with you, mentor!"

"Such determination, dalta. A lifetime promise is a difficult one. Do not speak of it like a child's play."

"I'm serious!" Mihawk grabbed Yidhra's big hands with his as he looked straight into her red eyes, no longer feeling unease by those. He would rather see those beautiful snake eyes than bloody hollow holes from the nightmare "I can never repay you enough for what you've done for me, so I've decided to use my life instead. I will grow into a reliable man so I can take care of you."

Words alone had an impact on people's impressions and Yidhra had learnt enough about humans to realize that. As she started feeling, she was touched by his words.

"Thou have a future ahead, there is no need to tie thyself to me."

"I've made up my mind. My future won't be completed without you in the picture so please mentor. Don't you ever leave me, okay?" His tone sounded like pleading at the last sentence, never once did he let go of her hands or break their eye contact.

By heart and soul, Yidhra might still be a monster, but she guessed she could make it an exception for her little human. After all, she adored this child and could never say no to him.

"I shall never leave thee, dear dalta. Thou have my words."

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

106K 3.5K 35
*ೃ༄ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇, 𝐚 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐨, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐠𝐨, 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐬�...
157K 7.3K 22
Your best friend does not love you the way you love him. ~ouch~ Enter your ill tempered distraction. ** Modern AU ** I don't own the art on this o...
3.6K 85 23
( mha/bnha x child reader/oc )
26.8K 669 25
☆.。.:* 𝘢 𝘬𝘪𝘭𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘴 𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘮𝘰𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘰 .。.:*☆ ©glitterfreezed - 🇳‌🇴‌🇻‌ 11, 2019 【𝐎𝐍𝐆𝐎𝐈𝐍𝐆 - slow updates】 ...