this is where i'll be waiting...

By sweetenersmoonlight

"i was raised by katherine pierce. do you really think i need anyone's help in manipulation, deceit, and dest... More

a c t o n e
p l a y l i s t
c h a r a c t e r s
update + rewrite
1.1 | never give up
1.2 | do i have to deceive you?
1.3 | emotions are a dangerous thing
1.4 | that is not what your heart desires
1.5 | from the lips of a liar
1.7 | parts that will never be whole (revised)
1.8 | you curse everyone you touch (revised)
1.9 | a reflection of the author (revised)
1. 10 | three wishes (revised)

1.6 | only i fell

617 29 18
By sweetenersmoonlight

question of the chapter:
favourite season of tvd?

Astoria knew that birthdays were supposed to be a happy day. For most people, the thought of their birthday excited them. Being able to receive gifts and being celebrated. Astoria got those things too. Katherine always made sure of it. She would shower Astoria with baked goods and presents, dresses, jewelry, whatever she wanted. Astoria felt guilty that none of that worked to distract her from what she really wanted. Her brothers. Every year she was reminded that she was getting older. Soon, she would be older than Damon was when he died. She was already older than Stefan. She missed celebrating it with them even though she couldn't remember most of them since she was too young at the time.

Still, as she walked into the kitchen, Astoria pushed a smile onto her face. Up ahead of her was the round and wooden kitchen table that was already filled with several different dishes. Eggs, scones with jam, rolls, a bowl of fruits, and much more.

Katherine sat at the table already, looking up at Astoria as she walked into the kitchen and smiling up at her when she saw her.

"I cannot believe how fast time is going by," Katherine smiled at her, standing up from the table and moving to hug her younger sister."It seems like just yesterday you were a little girl trying to catch lady bugs in the yard."

Astoria returned the hug and smiled fondly of the memory. She used to like to play in the front yard of their house when she was younger, running around, climbing trees, jumping into the lake. She hadn't done anything like that in years.

"You know you always go overboard when it comes to celebrations," Astoria teased while looking down at the table filled with food."How on earth are we supposed to eat all of this?"

"I am not the one who planned all of this," Katherine shared with a small smile."The bread, jam, the scones, and the tarts were all sitting in a basket on the front porch when I went outside this morning. With a cute little note wishing you the best of days. Signed by Alessio."

"Oh, Katherine, I did not tell him where we're staying he-" Astoria began. She knew that Katherine didn't like many people knowing where they were staying. Usually, only the people she was compelling were allowed to know. But Alessio had been in the area and ran into her.

"It's alright, Astoria," Katherine assured her."The most dangerous thing about that man is probably his oven. I can always compel him if needs be."

Astoria nodded her head slowly as she sat down across from Katherine, wrapping her hands around the cup of raspberry tea that Katherine had set out for her.

"Are you going to see him today?" Katherine asked with a teasing smile.

Astoria blushed and took a sip of the tea. She had seen him almost every day since they met two weeks ago. She was meeting him at his shop later today.

"Yes, I am. I'll make sure to return in time for dinner," Astoria answered with a nod of her head."And to. . . Pack up our stuff."

Katherine smiled sympathetically and reached across the table, placing her hand on top of Astoria's."Astoria, if you wish to stay. . ."

"I won't leave you," Astoria insisted. She couldn't leave Katherine all alone. She wouldn't have anyone. She would be running for years by herself. Katherine didn't abandon her when she could've. Astoria couldn't abandon her now.

"Just because I have to run doesn't mean that you have to," Katherine urged."I would rather you be safe and happy."

"And who am I more safe with than a centuries old vampire?" Astoria countered with a small smile."I'm happy with you, Katherine."

Astoria wasn't sure how much she believed her own words, but what else could she possibly say? Katherine had risked her life by taking a child with her all of those years ago. Someone who was grieving and just lost her only family and was now dealing with a world she had no experience with. Astoria knew that by being with Katherine, she had been slowing her down. But abandoning her now wouldn't be fair. It wouldn't be right.

Astoria rarely visited the actual bakery. She didn't get to come inside often. Up until recently, he set up things outside in the market and that was where she usually met him, or somewhere else in the town. But today, he didn't seem to be doing that. His shop was nearly empty too, but Astoria could see him cleaning up one of the countertops in the kitchen. She took a deep breath and inhaled the sweet scent. She normally enjoyed it much more when she didn't just finish having several sweet treats for breakfast. Curtesy of him.

"Hello, love," He noticed her the second that she came inside. He dropped what he was doing and made his way towards her, grabbing something from behind the counter. It looked to be the size of a book, but she couldn't tell for sure.

"Having trouble drawing in customers?" She teased, looking around the empty bakery. It was still early in the day. This was normally when he would be doing most of his work.

"I decided to close early today," He told her as he stood in front of her."I have more important things to attend to then making sure everyone's sugar cravings are met."

"Such as. . ." Astoria trailed off, looking for an answer.

"Such as your birthday," He finished with a small smile. He held out what he had grabbed from behind the counter and handed it to her."I am a bit uncertain about my gift. I do not want to upset you today, but you said that you did not even have a picture left of your brothers and. . ."

Astoria frowned as she took what he handed her. It was a picture frame. She turned it around to see a small painting of both of her brothers inside the frame. She froze upon seeing it. Unable to say anything to him about it. It looked exactly like both of them. She traced her finger along the glass, inhaling sharply. She didn't have a picture of them, and her own memory was beginning to fade. In a few years, she was certain that she would've forgotten small details about them.

"I-is this why you were asking me about them?" Astoria whispered, remembering the other day when they had met for lunch. He had kept asking questions about her brothers, but didn't specify why. Astoria didn't think much of it at the time.

"I apologize if this was-" He began, but Astoria cut him off.

"It's perfect," She smiled, quickly leaning forward and throwing her arms around his shoulders, burying her head into his neck. She had thought that the odds she would ever see anything from Damon or Stefan again were next to impossible. Katherine would never go back to Virginia, and Astoria thought it would hurt too much. Besides, she didn't want to see her father. So she stayed away. Away from all memories of her brothers.

"Thank you," She mumbled against his neck, sighing tiredly and holding him tighter. For a moment, all of her worries slipped away. She wasn't thinking about how she had to leave soon and say goodbye to him. All she was thinking about was him. He was warm, most likely because he had been behind the stove all day, but it was comforting. He smelled nice too. She couldn't quite make out what it was, but it was sweet and spicy at the same time.

She pulled away after a few seconds, realizing that it was the first time that she ever hugged him. As she pulled away, she placed her hands on his shoulders, still holding onto the frame. Her cheek brushed against his as she moved back. She paused for a second, deciding to place a kiss against his cheek.

"T-thank you," she whispered to him before she pulled back fully."I love it. Truly."

"That's what I was hoping for," He admitted."Though it is not all I have for you."

"It isn't?" Astoria was surprised. With how detailed the drawing was, she figured that it would've taken him hours to make. There was no reason for him to get her anything else. She remembered he had mentioned something yesterday, but she assumed he meant the cake that was already dropped off at her house.

"I did not ask you to come all this way just for a painting," He said to her."Though this next one is a surprise, and we will have to walk to it."

"Well then, lead the way," Astoria smiled happily, taking his arm when he offered it and turning to face the door so that they could head out.

Astoria never thought of what his house might look like. She never mentioned where she lived and neither did he, so she never asked him. But if she had been asked to picture it before hand, this wasn't what she would've imagined. As far as Astoria knew, he didn't live with any family. They had all moved away or passed on. But the house was dark, and old. It looked like it once would have been beautiful, but had been abandoned by its owners. The outside was a dark wood, almost black. The windows were all tinted dark as well, she could hardly see into them.

"Was this your father's house?" Astoria asked him. She remembered he had said he inherited his father's bakery. Perhaps this was his house before he passed.

"It is an old friend's," He answered as they walked up to the house together."I know. It is not quite what I like either. Too dreary. Not to worry. We are only passing by to get where we need to go."

"And where do we need to go?" Astoria inquired as they stepped onto the porch steps which had yet to been cleared of the snow that had fallen. She tried to move more slowly, careful not to slip on whatever ice was bound to be underneath the snow.

"If I answered that then it wouldn't be a surprise," He reminded her with a small smirk while he opened the door for them, allowing her to step inside.

The wooden floorboard creaked the second that her shoe hit against it. She was met with the smell of dust, and she could see particles of it when the light shined through the dark hallway. The first thing she noticed was how it was like no one lived in it. There were no decorations anywhere. It had an old smell. She figured that if it wasn't his house, he couldn't put up personal decorations, but still, the place looked old and not well taken care of.

"Follow me," He guided her down the hall away from the front door and into the kitchen. He up picked up something that was bundled up in a dark coloured cloth, but she couldn't get a good look at what it was. The house was too dark. It was surrounded by trees and backed out into a forest. With the trees there, there was little sunlight that came through the front of the house.

"What's that?" Astoria inquired, but he just shook his head.

"Not yet, love," He chuckled, nodding towards the back door that was connected to the kitchen.

"Can you at least tell me where it is that you're taking me?" She sighed. She was both excited to found out, but a little annoyed that it was taking so long. Still, she did enjoy getting to spend quite a bit of time with him.

"I promise you will know soon," He assured her as he pushed open the door to the outside.

Astoria winced at the cold wind that happened to blow by at that moment. She was relieved that he stepped out first and blocked some of it from her.

"Is this way not just the woods?" She asked him as he turned to face her, walking backwards into the yard. She looked past him at the tall trees that were covered in snow, wondering why they would be going there.

"You are incredibly impatient," He commented."So you will be pleased to know that we have already arrived."

"Arrived?" Astoria raised her eyebrows, tilting her head to the side and looking ahead at Alessio."What are we doing here?"

"See, this property backs up onto a pond," He explained to her, shifting to get out of her view and turning to look at the direction he was just facing. He stood beside Astoria and gestured towards the pond that was covered in ice. It had been cleared of most of the snow, though there were a few fresh flurries that had covered it.

"Which is perfect for. . ." Astoria trailed off, unsure of what he was referring to.

"Ice skating," He answered, surprised that she wasn't able to figure it out. He opened the cloth that he was holding and revealed two pairs of leather shoes that had a blade at the bottom of the shoe."Do you know what it is?"

"Of course I do," Astoria answered."I have never gone before."

"Never?" He raised his eyebrows while he took her hand into his, pulling her closer to the pond. It was only a few feet away from the house, and the footsteps in the show told her that someone, most likely him, had already been outside that day."I suppose today is the day to try new things."

"Would it be considered ironic if I died on my birthday?" Astoria asked as he handed her the pair of skates that he brought for her. Astoria assumed that he had just purchased them. They did not look worn, and when she switched out of her own boots into them, they slipped on perfectly. Astoria had pressed her hand against the bark of a tree next to them in order to steady herself. Alessio did the same.

"Now how would you die from skating?" Alessio chuckled at her."Why have you never tried?"

"I was always scared that I would slip and hurt myself," Astoria admitted. Her brothers tried to get her to go when she was younger, but she refused. They didn't push her since it wasn't exactly something they enjoyed either."Or that the ice would break and I would plummet to an ice cold death."

"You can't avoid things out of fear, love," He countered.

"I believe avoiding danger is called being rational," Astoria reasoned.

"It's called being a bore," He grinned.

"Did you bring me out here to insult me?" Astoria rolled her eyes and pursed her lips.

"I brought you out here to do this-" He began, quickly grabbing Astoria's hands and pulling her towards the ice quickly, causing Astoria to panic a bit.

"Oh! Wait-" She began as she stumbled forward, but before she could say anything else, he had already found his balance and was helping steady Astoria.

"As I said, it is perfectly safe," He assured her, gliding backwards and pulling Astoria along with him. She had gripped onto his forearms and didn't look like he was planning on letting go anytime soon.

"Until we both slip and your blade slits my-" Astoria began, but he interrupted her.

"You worry too much," He dismissed.

"Once again, it is called being-" Astoria began, but he interrupted her.

"Being a bore," He repeated."You are beginning to remind me of my eldest brother."

"Says the one who spends his days kneading dough," Astoria countered jokingly, looking down at her feet and trying to figure out what to do. She didn't think she'd be able to balance herself if she let go, so she didn't. At least she told herself that was why she continued to hold on. It certainly had nothing to do with having an excuse to be so close to him.

"Now I'm the one that is insulted," He said to her, causing her to smile a little bit in response."I will be the bigger person and change it around. For someone who has never done this before, you are doing surprisingly well."

"You should save that thought for after I let go of you and try to do it on my own," Astoria laughed."How do you know how to skate? You do not seem like someone who would enjoy it."

"My little sister insisted when we were younger," He told her."My younger brother too. Now, he did fall through one-"

"What!?" Astoria's eyes widened as she stumbled a bit, causing him to tighten his grip and adjust it so that she didn't fall.

"You can relax, the ice was too thin and we did not know any better," He assured her."He lived. He's fine. Well, fine may be a bit of an overstatement."

"You aren't exactly inspiring confidence," Astoria reminded him with a small and joking smile.

"Perhaps I like having you hold onto me," He mumbled quietly, causing Astoria to blush and bite down on the inside of her cheek to keep from smiling too widely like she wanted to.

Astoria opened her mouth to respond, but before she was able to, her skate hit against something. She wasn't sure what it was, a small fallen branch maybe. But whatever it was caused her to stumble forward, causing Alessio to lose his balance and slip as well, but he somehow managed to grab Astoria's waist and turn them to the side of the pond so that they landed in the snow that had been built up and pushed off to the side.

Astoria winced as her back hit the snow pile, him falling on top of her certainly didn't help. At least it wasn't on the ice, and at least neither managed to cut the other with the blades on their skates when their legs tangled together. She could feel the cold from the snow through her coat. It burned against her skin and slipped in through her shoes.

"Are you alright?" He asked immediately, trying to push himself off of her. He placed his hands on either side and held himself up, his eyes scanning her worriedly.

"Yes, I'm quite fine," Astoria said as she brushed the snow off of her face."Though I think we're done her. I don't believe I need to continue to make a fool of myself."

"You were doing well," He assured her."It is normal to fall on your first try."

"That would have been nice to know before we began," Astoria blinked a few times, trying to get the snow to leave her lashes.

"What if I promise not to let you fall this time?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

Astoria bit down on her bottom lip while she thought about it. On one hand, she wasn't sure she enjoyed skating. She didn't want to risk getting hurt or embarrassing herself either. But if she declined, their afternoon together might be over, and she didn't want that.

"Depends," Astoria replied."Can I take you on your word?"

He smiled at her softly, causing Astoria's heart to flutter as she returned the smile without even realizing it.

"Alright, I give you my word that I will not let you fall again," He promised her."Though if you act so incredibly negligent. . ."

Astoria laughed and shook her head."I will not do anything stupid. Now, let us continue."

He nodded his head in agreement, pushing himself off of his forearms and onto his hands so that he could get up, but when he did so, his hand fell through the snow, causing him to slip back on top of Astoria.

"So much for not falling," Astoria teased him while he readjusted himself so that he wasn't directly on top of her.

"In my defence, only I fell this time," He pointed out, though a small smile crept onto his lips as why. Astoria didn't understand why she felt the need to smile whenever he did, but she couldn't help it. Every time she saw him smile, it was like her mind went blank. She couldn't focus on anything other than how pretty his smile was, how soft his lips were. It was the first time she ever looked at someone's lips and wondered how they would taste. She wondered how they would feel against hers.

"I suppose you did," She swallowed tightly. She expected him to try to get back up instead of hovering over him. But he didn't move. Except to lower himself close to her, so that their chests pressed together. He reached out with his hand and brushed the snowflakes off of her cheeks with his fingers covered in his leather glove. His hand didn't move. It stayed pressed against her cheek.

"That would be the second time I've fallen today," He mumbled quietly.

"When did you fall before?" She inquired, furrowing her brows.

He chuckled and shook his head, but he never responded to her question, and she didn't bother to ask it again. She was too focused on his eyes. She never got a good look at them before, but right now, against the background of the cloudy sky and snow falling around his face, they looked brighter than usual. If her vision wasn't clouded with her feelings, she would've been able to see the darkness in his eyes.

"Is it alright if I kiss you now?" He spoke to her quietly, brushing her cheek with the back of his glove.

Astoria's breath hitched as she heard his question. A few weeks ago, she would've said no. That she was waiting for the right person to be her first kiss. But every day since they met, he had been there for her. He told her stories, laughed at her jokes, he listened to her vent, he offered her advice, he baked everything she loved, he gave her gifts, he devoted all his time to her. It was exactly what she was looking for her.

"Yes, you may," She answered, watching his smile grow. Astoria could feel her heart beating in her chest, to the point where she was worried he'd be able to hear it as he moved closer to her. But he stopped. Just before his lips could touch hers, he stopped. He kept his lips hovered just above hers, looking down at them. She didn't know why he stopped, but it caused a pit to form in her stomach. She had never kissed anyone before. She was worried that she would do it wrong, that he wouldn't enjoy it, or that he would leave her because of it, but all her worries melted like snow in the springtime as she felt his lips brush across hers.

His kiss was soft, and gentle, like he didn't want to hurt her. He placed one kiss on her lips, and pulled his lips away from her. Astoria didn't have time to worry about it this time, within a second he had kissed her again, only this time he had wrapped his other hand around the back of her head and tangled his fingers in her hair, pulling her closer to him. The closer she got to him, the more the cold from the snow seemed to fade away. Despite it being winter, despite laying in the snow, a fire had been lit inside her, one that only grew as he deepened the kiss between them, locking their lips together like he was afraid they would be separated. Astoria was no longer pained by any anxieties she had about the kiss, but still her heart raced and she felt like her breath had been stolen from her. In any other situation, she would have wanted it to end, but if she stayed like this forever, she'd never complain.

Unfortunately, he did have to pull away, he did have to allow her the chance to breathe. When his lips left hers, the warmth began to slip away from her, and the nerves came back. She was worried that he didn't like the kiss, that only she did, and of course he wouldn't. She had never kissed anyone before, she was sure that wasn't true for him. He was perfect. She had no doubt that he had his fair share of suitors, yet he was here with her. Why?

"You are so beautiful," He spoke to her gently, caressing her cheek with his hand, ripping away from her thoughts. Once again, her thoughts became jumbled on her head, she couldn't focus.

"I could say the same for you," She replied, regretting it instantly. It was a stupid thing to say. At least that's what she thought until he laughed. Before he could say anything, there was a loud snapping sound that echoed from a few feet away.

Astoria's head instantly looked in that direction, her eyes widening slightly as her eyes darted around frantically."What was that?"

He furrowed his brow and looked away in the direction that Astoria was looking. His eyes scanned the forest, but he didn't see anything."There is nothing there."

"I definitely heard something-" Astoria began. She didn't expect him to understand. If he knew what it was like to live with someone following your every move, he would understand. She knew that Klaus was after Katherine, not her, but if she wasn't careful, she could lead him to her.

"Yes. A dear. A squirrel. A bear-" He suggested.

"Bear?" Astoria's eyes widened.

"There are no bears here," He quickly assured her, but Astoria didn't buy it.

"And how do you know that?" She raised her eyebrows.

"You're too much," He chuckled,

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" She asked him curiously.

He nodded his head once, grinning down at her."It is nothing I can't handle."

Astoria returned the smile after a laugh escaped her lips. She wanted to stay like this forever, but unfortunately, the snow was seeping through her clothes and freezing her skin.

"I'd kiss you again, but even your lips are not going to warm me up enough to tolerate this snow," Astoria said to him, causing him to chuckle."

"Alright. Let's get you warmed up, my love," He agreed, pulling himself up off of her and holding out her hand for her to take.

Astoria turned slowly to face Alessio, wishing that she was able to get a better look at him than she was now. The sun had already set for the evening, and where they stood at the edge of the path that led to her house hardly had any light. Only a light shimmer from the moon that danced across his face.

After skating, they had spent time together in his house, drinking tea, talking with each other, learning more. But Astoria promised Katherine that she would be back for dinner, so once the sun began to set, Astoria decided to head home. He insisted on walking her back, but Astoria wouldn't let him go any further than the path that she took to get to her house. He might've known where they lived now, but she didn't need to bring him to Katherine.

"Thank you," Astoria said with a sad smile. She wished that today didn't have to end. Because once it did, Astoria knew they only had two more left. After that, she would be gone. Forced to leave him. She wouldn't be surprised if Katherine decided to compel him to forget her either."For today."

"It was my pleasure," He returned the smile, lifting her hand to his lips and kissing her knuckles softly, causing her smile to intensify."Are you sure you do not want me to walk you all the way?"

"I like walking alone," Astoria said. It wasn't a complete lie. She did like to be alone sometimes, and she did like to walk alone. She liked him more."It clears my head."

"Sharing those thoughts with someone else is another way to clear your head," He pointed out.

"I-I suppose that's true," She agreed, but she didn't budge on her position. She couldn't get let him take her home, although maybe she could. They were leaving in two days, what could possibly happen before then? Klaus wasn't going to suddenly show up, and even if he did, he wouldn't know to find this man and compel him to tell him where they were. Two days from now, they'd be long gone, traveling onto their next location, where they were to stay for a few weeks before leaving again. Then repeat. She would repeating that cycle forever if she decided to turn. If she didn't, she would die somewhere along the cycle.

"What is troubling you?" His voice broke through her thoughts.

She refocused on him, noticing that his brow was furrowed, his lips formed a frown as he reached forward and cupped her cheeks with his hands, forcing her to look at him.

"You needn't worry about me," She assured him, swallowing tightly and reaching out to hold his hand against her face. His touch was soothing. She wanted nothing more than to melt into it and be wrapped in his arms forever.

"I have no choice," He replied.

Astoria opened her mouth to respond. She wondered if she should tell him. She knew she couldn't tell him everything. She never could. She could never be honest with anyone. And she hated it. She didn't like having to lie, having to figure out what to say, and memorizing what she said so that she didn't contradict it when she inevitably told another lie. But what other choice did she have?

"My sister wants to leave soon," Astoria told him hesitantly.

"Leave?" He asked."To go where?"

"It doesn't matter," Astoria shook her head slowly, feeling tears form in her eyes. She glanced up and blinked quickly, hoping to push them down."I have to leave too."

"You do not have to follow your sister if you do not wish to," He began, but Astoria just shook her head again. He didn't understand, and how could he? He didn't know the truth. He couldn't know either.

"But I do," Astoria whispered. Even if she wanted to stay, she couldn't."She's my sister. I cannot leave her, it is not easy as that."

"You aren't a child, you do not have to stay with her," He insisted gently, but Astoria just shook her head.

"Even if I wanted to, how could I stay?" Astoria raised her eyebrows."I have no money, no work, no-"

"You can stay with me," He interrupted her suddenly."And I'll take care of you."

"I couldn't ask that if you," Astoria immediately denied his offer. It was kind, but it was foolish. They only just met, and Astoria trusted him, but she didn't know if she trusted him enough to depend entirely on him. Even if it was quite clear she was falling for him and enjoyed being with him, she couldn't do it.

"You did not ask," He pointed out.

"We only just met-" She tried again, but he cut her off.

"Think about it," He suggested, moving closer towards her and smiling softly."I don't want you to leave."

A small smile flashed across her lips. Maybe she could trust him more than she was. His feelings seemed genuine.

"My sister would never go for it," She admitted. Katherine would never allow her to stay with someone she just met. Katherine wouldn't leave her just anywhere either. It would have to be somewhere she deemed safe, she would need time to settle her in, and Astoria was sure she would probably compel everyone in the town to never hurt her.

"Perhaps I can talk to her," He offered."Put her mind at ease."

Astoria inhaled sharply at his words. His heart was in the right place, he wanted to be with her and wanted her to stay. He was willing to work to make that happen. But suddenly, guilt overwhelmed her. She knew when she met him that she would never be able to stay with him. It didn't matter if Katherine was okay with it, Astoria was never going to leave her. She couldn't. What kind of person would she be if she allowed Katherine to run forever on her own after she spent years taking care of her? Astoria had to return the favour in some way.

Yet she continued to talk to the man before her anyways. She sat and talked to him for hours, kissed him, celebrated her birthday with him. She had him standing before her now, offering her a place in his home. And there was no chance she would ever say yes. She should have never gotten to know him. It was a mistake that weighed on her. Now she would be forced to leave him heartbroken and would carry that guilt with her for years to come.

"I'm sorry," Astoria mumbled beneath her breath, glancing away from him."I should've been more clear with you from the beginning. Or perhaps stayed away. But leaving her isn't an option for me. It never was. I have to go and I'm sorry that I led you on, I did not mean to, I only. . ."

Astoria breathed out a laugh and pushed her hands further into the pockets of her coat. She glanced up at the dark sky before looking back at Alessio."I have spent most of my life living under my father or my sister. I rarely get the chance to leave and do whatever it is that I want. I don't even really know what it is that I want. But with you. . . I had a lot of fun these last few weeks. I wish I could stay, maybe if things were different. . . But as they stand now, I have to say goodbye to you."

"Catalina-" He began to protest, but Astoria leaned in and pressed a kiss against his cheek.

"I'll come say goodbye tomorrow before we leave. It's just. . . Better this way," Astoria whispered before she pulled away, forcing a smile onto her face and blinking away the tears."You'll find someone who can be with you. I'm sure of it."

Astoria didn't wait for a response this time and he didn't try to stop her. This time, she just turned around and walked away.

Astoria pulled off her coat as she closed the door behind her, shaking her boots onto the rug beneath her to try and get rid of the snow so that she wouldn't bring it into the rest of the house. It wasn't that long of a walk back, only about fifteen minutes, which was long enough for Astoria to dry her tears so that Katherine wouldn't see and force a small smile onto her face. If she came back crying, Katherine would tell Astoria to stay, but she wouldn't mean it. If she came back beaming with happiness, Katherine would make some comment about her being too desperate for Alessio and right now, Astoria didn't want to get into any sort of argument.

"Katherine?" Astoria called out as she began to walk down the hall and into the kitchen. They were supposed to meet for dinner, so Astoria figured that it was a reasonable place to expect her to be. Only the kitchen was completely empty. There was no one in there, which was odd considering their plans."Katherine?"

"Astoria, it is about time you returned," Katherine brushed past her frown behind, entering into the kitchen and moving in a hurry to the living room that was off to the side so that Astoria could no longer see her.

"We agreed I would be back-" Astoria began, but Katherine cut her off.

"We have to leave," Katherine insisted."Now."

"What?" Astoria asked worriedly, scared that something happened. Normally, she would've started gathering what she needed immediately. This time she questioned it."Why?"

"Because you have been parading through town with Klaus!" She exclaimed loudly, causing Astoria to flinch.

She furrowed her brow and narrowed her eyes at Katherine. She heard what Katherine had said, but she didn't understand it. Astoria never met Klaus before.

"Do not stand there like a fool, hurry up and gather what you need, I already risked enough by waiting for you," Katherine scowled at her, shoving a few items into a leather bag that rested on the kitchen table.

"Perhaps if you would clarify what it is that you mean-" Astoria began, but Katherine cut her off.

"The man that you have been seeing," Katherine interrupted."His name is not Alessio. That is Klaus."

Astoria's blood went cold when she heard Katherine's words. She wanted to ask Katherine to repeat herself, but she was certain that would only anger her. She felt like she had just been punched in the gut. The man that she had been spending almost every day with, the man who brought her sweets, listened to her thoughts, brought her flowers, and made her paintings couldn't be the same man that was the reason she had to always be on the run. He couldn't be the man that devoted his life to hunting someone down because they didn't want to be sacrificed. He was always so sweet to Astoria, her made her laugh. He made her happy. How could that possibly be the same person?

"What?" Astoria finally said, still stunned from the news."That doesn't. . . How?"

"We don't have time for that," Katherine snapped at her."Pull yourself together. We need to leave."

"But he can't be," Astoria shook her head slowly. She couldn't quite describe what she was feeling. She wanted to hide, disappear from the world. She also wanted to go find him and demand the truth. Yell. Cry. She couldn't decide which."He's been so sweet, and the opposite of-"

"Because he's Klaus!" She exclaimed."He loves to play games. He loves to manipulate. He probably thought it would hurt me more to see you. . . We need to leave."

Katherine grabbed her hand and pulled her away from the kitchen, down the hall that led through the front door, but when she did, Astoria suddenly stopped in her spot.

"Wait! Katherine!" Astoria pulled her hand away from her friend's hand."We cannot leave."

"Astoria-" Katherine let out a frustrated sigh as she turned around to face her again.

"No, Katherine, you need to listen to me," Astoria insisted. Suddenly, it all became very clear. In the minute since she knew, she had been replaying the time she spent with him. The odd things. The things that she ignored because he was charming, because she was directed by his smile. The hint of darkness in his eyes, the way he seemed to always know where to find her in town, how he just so happened to be making a personal delivery near her home despite the next one being miles away."I think that he has someone watching us."

"Do you know this as a fact?" Katherine inquired, raising an eyebrow. She thought it was likely, but she needed to know if Astoria knew something she didn't.

"He did not bump into me by accident that day in the market, he knew who I was," Astoria realized, suddenly feeling sick. What she thought was a romantic happy accident turned into something twisted and manipulated. Suddenly, knowing who he was made everything become quite clear."He had to have been watching. Besides, I told him that we're leaving tomorrow and I ended things with him. He has to have someone watching us. If we leave, he will follow. I have a better idea."

Katherine raised her eyebrows. She had been with Astoria now for over a decade. She taught Astoria many of her ways, how to handle herself, most importantly she taught her how to survive. Part of her didn't want to listen to Astoria, she had been with Klaus this whole time and didn't realize it. But if Astoria was right, they couldn't just run without a plan.

"Alessio. . . Klaus, I can change my mind," Astoria began. She didn't want Katherine to think she was stupid enough to believe that she was going to stay here with him. Abandon her for him."I told him that I was leaving. I said I would not stay here. But I can change my mind. I said I'd say goodbye to him tomorrow and I can still do that. I can meet him. Go earlier and stay with him and tell him that you insist that I stay but that you want to meet him. His goal is to get to you, if I assure him he'll get his chance and he'll surprise you, there is no way he will say no. I can distract him for the day. While you escape. Get to the docks, get on a ship, compel the captain to go to one of our meet up locations. I can take him somewhere. So that if he has someone watching you, they will not be able to find you in time. You can escape."

"And what about you?" Katherine's eyes softened a bit as she reached for Astoria's hands, holding them tightly."He will find out I am gone. And you will be left to deal with his wrath."

"No, I won't," Astoria swallowed tightly, unsure of whether or not she should continue. It would require a sacrifice, one that she wasn't sure she was capable of making on her own, so she would need Katherine to ensure that she did. Katherine who had looked out for her for all these years, and if she could do that, Astoria could do one thing for her.

"Because that is not my only part of the plan."

Next time in this is where I'll be waiting for you
Astoria tries to distract Klaus but finds her plan doesn't work the way she thinks.

Hi. Kind of excited to get more into their relationship now that Klaus gets to actually act like Klaus.

Also for those of you who have read the Kol fanfic I wrote, the sequel should be up soon.

Thanks for reading! Hope you all enjoyed! Be sure to comment your thoughts and have a good day/night!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 57 8
❝ 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐀𝐋𝐅 𝐎𝐅 𝐈𝐓 ❞ ✼ 〚 the vampire diaries universe x fem! mikaelson! oc 〛 〖 the vam...
18.4K 432 5
in which the youngest mikaelson vampire gets undaggered and catches the attention of the salvatore brothers.
51.3K 817 24
Book I of the Elizabeth Gerard Series "If one were to not know you, Elijah Mikaelson, one would say you are trying to woo me." "And what if I am?" ...
1.3K 47 12
do you mean to harm me? never then you are no monster • • • Anastasia Müller Princess of Geneva finds herself in the middle of the Mikaelson family w...