It Comes With The Name

By JustAnEscape24

Lauren Grimes, a 24 year old vet student and the younger sister of Rick Grimes, is thrown into a world of cha... More

Chapter 1: The Dixon Duo
Chapter 2: Welcome Home
Chapter 3: Grounded
Chapter 4: A Debt Owed
Chapter 5: Eye In The Sky
Chapter 6: Same World, Different Rules
Chapter 7: One Man Down, Many To Go
Chapter 8: Safe Haven
Chapter 9: All Good Things Must Come To An End
Chapter 10: Tomorrow Is Long Time
Chapter 11: Bloodletting
Chapter 12: Well Well Well
Chapter 13: And So It Begins
Chapter 14: Hayloft
Chapter 15: Secrets Get You Killed
Chapter 17: Taking The Blame
Chapter 18: White Knight Syndrome
Chapter 19: Bridge That Gap
Chapter 20: The Monster Within
Chapter 21: Hoax
Chapter 22: Jump Then Fall
Chapter 23: Running From The Mess You Made
Chapter 24: I Know Places
Chapter 24: Where Is My Mind?
Chapter 26: It's Time To Go
Chapter 27: A Chip Off The Old Block
Chapter 28: Stranger Danger
Chapter 29: These Ties That Bind
Chapter 30: Our Old Friend Death
Chapter 31: A Crack In The Glass
Chapter 32: Run, Boy, Run
Chapter 33: Beside The Dying Fire
Bonus Chapter: Foolish One
Authors Note

Chapter 16: Not Your Circus, Not Your Monkeys

220 5 0
By JustAnEscape24

It was a solid minute before anyone spoke. Glenn's confession had thrown both Dale and Lauren for a loop, seemingly for different reasons.

Dale shook his head trying to process the information. "There's walkers in the barn?"

"Lori's pregnant?" Lauren said at the same time. Glenn looked back and forth between them, obviously a bit overwhelmed by their reactions. "You're sure? Like positive?"

He nodded. Lauren sucked in a breath, putting her hands up onto her temples and trying to do the math in her head. Rick had found their camp a little over a week ago. Eight days? Maybe nine? Most women don't find out they're pregnant until week four so...this baby wasn't Ricks.

"Holy shit." She whispered to no one in particular. Dale quickly tried to move on to the second half of Glenn's confession.

"Walkers in the barn..." Dale repeated. "And you know this how?"

"Last night I went to the barn-"

"What the hell were you going to the barn for?" Dale questioned.

Glenn's eyes flashed in panic as he quickly tried to stammer out a believable answer. "I uh-"

"He was grabbing me a shovel." Lauren lied. "I asked him to get me one last night. Tank was starting to dig underneath the fence, I filled it in this morning."

Dale looked at Glenn skeptically and Glenn just nodded. Lauren knew that whatever reason he had for being at the barn had something to do with Maggie and she had a pretty good guess as to what they were doing. She also knew how Dale would react if he found out Glenn had continued seeing her.

"So, how do we handle this?" She looked to Dale, hoping he would have some sort of plan.

"Well, I think the first step is pretty clear." He placed his hands on his hips. "We talk to Hershel."

"We?" Glenn gave Dale a look.

Lauren had to bite back a smirk at Glenn's attitude, but she understood where he was coming from. "Yeah, it's probably best if Glenn stays back for this one. I don't think Hershel's his biggest fan..."

Dale nodded and sighed, turning to her. "Alright, looks like it's us then."

---

Lauren could feel the anxiety building in her body the closer they got to the stable. Dale had apparently seen Hershel headed there earlier and figured that would be the best place to find him.

"Uh, how exactly are we playing this?" Lauren asked quietly as they approached the structure.

"Just follow my lead." Dale told her, walking into the stable.

"Yeah, I was gonna do that anyways." Lauren muttered to herself before following him in.

Lauren and Dale walked into the stable to find Hershel tending to one of his horses that he cross-tied in the walkway.

"Nervous Nelly?" Dale asked, walking towards them. "She find her way home?"

"Found her in her stall this morning." Herschel spared Dale a glance before returning his focus to the animal. Dale approached slowly, grabbing a handful of alfalfa and holding it up for Nelly to eat. Lauren followed behind him cautiously, anxious about how this conversation may play out.

"Lauren and I were just talking about how beautiful your fields are." Dale said, nonchalantly. Lauren nodded in agreement, still unsure as to the approach Dale was taking. "We took a long walk this morning. We ended up by the barn."

Hershel stopped abruptly, clearly surprised by his words.

"We heard them ." Lauren added.

Hershel looked at her quickly before once again turning his focus back to Nelly. "That's unfortunate."

"I'm sure you have your reasons for keeping this a secret..." Dale told him, trying to ease into the confrontation.

"I saw the broadcasts before they stopped," Hershel explained. "Saw the irrational fear-"

"Irrational?" Lauren raised an eyebrow at the man. What about their fear of the literal dead rising and eating people seemed irrational to him?

"I saw the atrocities." Hershel continued, ignoring her comment. "Like the incident at my well."

"We put down a walker." Dale acknowledged.

Hershel stopped what he was doing to look at them both earnestly. "You killed a person."

"I'm sorry?" Lauren looked at him with an incredulous look. There was no way he was being for real. She exchanged a look with Dale. "That thing wasn't even anything close to a person."

Dale stepped forward, trying to keep the situation as calm as possible. He turned back to Hershel. "Well, if you watched the same broadcasts that we did, you saw walkers attack, kill . They're dangerous."

"A paranoid schizophrenic is dangerous too." Hershel countered. "We don't shoot sick people."

"Yeah? Well, if a paranoid schizophrenic tried to eat me I might consider it." Lauren quipped.

Dale shot Lauren a look. "Look, with all due respect, you are cut off from the outside world here." He tried to reason with Hershel. "But, I've seen people that I cared about die and come back. And they're not people."

"My wife and stepson are in that barn," Hershel said adamantly. "They're people."

Lauren pursed her lips, taking note of the slight edge in his voice, almost like he was trying to convince himself. She sent Dale a 'what now?' look. Trying to convince Hershel that walkers were anything other than sick human beings was obviously a lost cause. He was in full-on denial. Usually, Lauren would say to each their own. If he wanted to be delusional about the danger surrounding them then he could go right ahead. But, unfortunately, the walkers in the barn were a ticking time bomb. It was only a matter of time until something went wrong, and that put them all in danger.

"I'm sorry..." Dale's gaze softened. "Let us help. We can speak to Rick. He's a good man. We can make the barn more secure, keep everybody safe."

"The barn is secure." Herschel assured him.

"Yeah, but for how long?" Lauren questioned. "It's an old barn, Hershel. With the amount of walkers you seem to have in there, it's only a matter of time until they bust out."

"I wish you wouldn't use that word."

Lauren had to hold back an eye roll. "Walkers, people, whatever they are, they aren't safe."

He stares at her for a long moment before finally speaking. "Keep this to yourself if you want to help. Your brother is a man of conscience, but are you so sure about everyone in your group?"

He directed the end of his sentence to Dale, whose eyes flashed in recognition. Lauren raised her eyebrows, crossing her arms defensively and looking between the two men. They clearly had some unspoken understanding. Dale finally nodded slowly, before turning and walking back down the stable corridors.

"Wha-" Lauren was thrown off by Dale's sudden exit. She gave Hershel one last weary look before heading down the hall behind Dale. She caught up to him outside the stables, continuing their walk back to camp. "What the hell was that supposed to mean?"

Dale flicks a worried glance at her as he continued walking.

"Dale?" Her brows furrowed with deepened interest as she evaluated the man's reaction to her question. "You know something... what the hell did he mean by that? Who was he talking about."

Dale stopped walking abruptly, feeling her burning gaze on him. Turning to face her, he sucked in a sharp breath. "Shane."

"Shane?" Lauren half laughed. "He's "not a man of conscience"? Until Rick showed up Shane was the one keeping all of us alive."

Dale looked at her sincerely. "Lauren, Shane is not the man you think he is."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Lauren asked with a challenging gaze.

Dale glanced around before taking h step towards Lauren. He placed a hand on her shoulder, a pained expression on his face. Lowering his voice slightly. "Back at the quarry, the day before we left for the CDC, Rick and Shane did their perimeter sweep."

"Yeah, so?"

"Wel, I saw them, and there was a moment-" Dale looked away for a split second, obviously not enjoying telling her this. "A moment where Rick turned around... and Shane raised his gun on him."

Lauren gave an unamused laugh. "That's ridiculous."

"I know what I saw, Lauren. He had Rick in his sights and he held him there."

Lauren shook her head, turning and heading back towards the tents again. "I don't know what you think you saw, Dale, but it wasn't like that. Shane is Rick's best friend. Hell, he's practically our brother. He wouldn't do something like that." The last part of that statement didn't come out as certain sounding as she wanted it to.

"I gotta go check on Tank." She muttered, picking up her pace. Dale sighed. She veered off towards Daryl's tent. She hadn't seen Tank since that morning and she was willing to bet anything that since she was gone he would be with the archer.

Lauren approached Daryl's tent, trying to calm her rapid heart rate. Why had Dale's accusation bothered her so much? Shane was a good person, he had practically helped raise her. He would never do anything to hurt her brother... he wouldn't.

She made her way towards the tent, crouching down a bit to look through the large opening of the unzipped entrance. She felt her body un-tense just a bit when she heard the familiar snore of her dog that she knew all too well.

She saw Daryl lying on top of his sleeping bag, flipping through a book Lauren recognized from Dale's small collection. Tank was curled up beside him, leaning against the archer's leg happily asleep. Daryl glanced up from the book and nodded a greeting as she reached the tent.

"Figured he would be in here." She smiled to herself as she stepped inside the tent, taking a seat.

Daryl half laughed, glancing at Tank. "Been sawing logs all mornin'. It's a miracle you ever sleep with all this damn noise."

"I'll take Tank's snoring over Merle's any day." Lauren countered light-heartedly. "The man sounded like he was suffocating in his sleep."

"You ain't much better," Daryl said, a hint of a smile playing on his lips. "Wakin' up in the middle of the night screaming yer damn head off."

"Alright, fair enough." Lauren rolled her eyes in amusement.

"They stopped? The bad dreams." Daryl asked, or rather, observed. "I ain't heard ya havin em since we got here."

Lauren thought for a moment. He was right. She hadn't given much thought to it until now, but she hadn't had them since arriving on the farm. "Yeah, I guess they did."

Although they had seemingly subsided lately, with the news of the walkers in the barn, Lauren had a feeling they would be returning soon. She was taken out of her thoughts when the sound of vehicles approached. She heard a car door open and close, followed by the voices of those who had been at gun training. Lori was back, meaning that Lauren could no longer delay the conversation she knew she needed to have with her sister-in-law. She felt her stomach twist into knots.

"Y'aight?" Daryl asked, studying her face.

Lauren nodded. "Mhm, yeah. I just uh, gotta go deal with some things. Is it cool if Tank stays here with you for a while?"

Daryl looked at her questioningly but nodded, obviously curious as to what exactly had her so anxious. She mumbled a thanks, quickly leaving the tent before he had the chance to ask any further questions. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

364K 8K 27
Scarlett Bradford, a twenty-three-year-old ex-nurse, roams what's left of the world alone. After a narrow brush with death in the city of Atlanta, Ge...
519 41 41
" 𝐈𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝, 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐝. 𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐮𝐩 𝐚𝐥𝐥 �...
349K 9.3K 99
Semi-mature. Completed. Nate's a teenage Aussie tomboy. Who grew up in a country town with 4 big brothers and parents who adore her as much as she do...
2.6K 164 39
Searching for a reason to keep on surviving in a world run by the dead, Skye comes across the group led by Rick Grimes. Though desperately trying to...