take the moment

By TreeIsMyMom

How exactly did she find out about the friendship bracelet? A possibility. More

the uno party
I just may like to have a conversation

Just grab my hand and don't ever drop it

1.5K 38 9
By TreeIsMyMom

The third pair of shoes she'd tried on in as many minutes went sailing across the room. She was standing in her closet possibly freaking out. Why did nothing look right? And what the hell were these nerves? She shook her hands out while reminding herself that she's been on like a hundred first dates. It didn't have to mean some big thing.

Or did it?

A ping came from her phone that was buried under discarded dresses and skirts.

Just confirming 8:30 at Zero Bond, yeah? I know it's my job to do that. And I'm making sure I get the wooing right after fumbling giving you my number.

That got her to laugh despite the nerves because they'd been texting all afternoon after his plane had landed. Her phone pinged again.

I'm ignoring the thought that your security has probably clocked my every move starting the minute I entered New York airspace.

Oh no, they at least waited until you were in Manhattan. Don't want to scare you off too early in the day.

Not going anywhere, Tay.

She'd deny the very girly noise that just came out of her mouth to everyone and turned back to the shelves of shoes and the few new pairs her stylist had dropped off this week. The perfect pair of sky-high open-toed Pradas caught her eye. Bingo.

*****

She fidgeted the whole ride to the restaurant—cracking her knuckles, tugging on her skirt, chipping at the Eras Tour nail polish still on her fingers. She looked at it now while waiting at the table. Maybe she should have done something with them. She was bad at this—out of practice.

Never mind that she was fifteen minutes early or that her outfit was finally perfect. She was trying, yet she was still so fucking nervous.

She glanced up from picking at the edge of the table and caught sight of him in the archway of the dining room. The thought, "Oh yeah, it's because of that face." came to her at the exact moment all the nerves left her body in a rush.

It was going to be fine. She'd learned this face over the past week. In goofy smile selfies and FaceTime movie dates. She'd experienced both how hilarious he seemed to be and also how dead serious he could be talking about the things that were most important to him like family, his career, and his foundation work.

He spotted her and beamed at her from across the room. He was somehow even taller in person. And where normally her brain would be firing off a bunch of descriptors about him and this point in time, it was suddenly quiet. Just here in this moment.

That was new.

"Hey, am I late? I'm sorry, I thought I left in time," he said as he reached her, tugging nervously on the sleeves of the black blazer he was wearing over a striped green shirt. He was even cuter when he was flustered.

"No not at all," she said sheepishly. "I'm early. Like really early."

She stood from the table and without an ounce of the awkwardness that usually occurred at first meetings, he leaned down and scooped her into a tight hug. His arms crossed behind her back.

"It's so nice to see you in person," he said close to her ear.

Taylor quickly realized two things as she hugged him back: his hand spanned the entirety of her shoulder and Travis was a VERY good hugger.

Travis released her and turned to pull her chair out for her (impressive) before heading to his own. They were tucked back into a corner, though no one here would bother them. The perks of being one of the highest dues-paying members of the club. The waiter noticed Travis had joined her and brought them menus and a wine list.

*****

They settled into the first date dance. Perusing the menu, fiddling with glasses, and sneaking glances. Something about it felt off to her. Like they were meant to....she didn't know.

He looked across at her and frowned. "This is weird."

She sighed in relief at him voicing the same concerns, "Yeah, maybe. What is that?"

He looked at her and studied her face.

"I feel like I know you too much for this," he confessed.

And that was it. They'd talked too much and laughed too much together in the short time they'd known each other for this to be so stilted. She made the decision that they were done with first-date manners.

"Yeah fuck this," she said, leaning casually across the table, peeking at his menu. "What are you getting? Do you want to split nachos with me first? They're pretty bougie at this place but still really good."

He laughed at her and shrugged off his jacket, pushing up his sleeves. Settled in more comfortably.

"Yes, please," he said. "You are also allowed to smack my hand if I eat too many. I'm a basic man who loves him some melted cheese."

"Deal," she nodded. "Please tell me if I get salsa on my top. I'm notorious for that."

"I will note that in the Taylor file."

*****

Later, she was telling him about the session she'd had in the studio the day before. She looked up from attempting to explain the process for manipulating vocals to become back beats to see him leaning his chin on his hand that was propped on the table, smile on his face. More than that, he was so engrossed in what she was saying. It made her blush for some reason, to have that much attention on her. It only made his smile grow.

She couldn't help but ask him, "What?"

It was his turn to blush and he looked down, reaching to fiddle with the fork on his empty plate. He hesitated then looked up straight at her.

"I just...I really like you," he shrugged. "Sorry if that is too much."

Taylor supposed she should feel like it was too much, too soon. It had only been a week no matter how comfortable they felt talking. However something about him had pulled her in right from the beginning.

"Sorry," he repeated. She held a hand up.

"No..don't be. I like you too. A lot."

Oh, if she liked his smile before, nothing prepared her for it now. But then the expression on his face turned a bit serious.

"Listen, Taylor," he started, tone earnest. "I know we just started talking and I'd be stupid to not recognize that outside of all the amazing things you've done professionally you've had a hard year personally.

She frowned at that but knew he was right.

"Just, I want to be upfront with you. I think you and I both know this will only work if we are."

She nodded.

"I want it to work," he said adamantly as he laid his hand on top of hers on the table. "I want you to know I am not here to be anything less than serious about this. Serious about you. You deserve to know that right from the start."

She didn't know she needed to hear that from him until he said it. She needed to know that if she was going to put her heart on the line again, it needed to be with someone willing to make a strong declaration right out of the gates of this relationship. She was done with guys who weren't willing to be anything but all in with her.

She looked down at his hand on top of hers and turned her palm up, lacing their fingers together. She squeezed his hand hard.

"Me too, Travis. I want this to be serious too."

He looked relieved like he really thought maybe it would be too much for him to say those things.

"Good," he nodded. "That's...yeah. I'm fucking glad."

She laughed at his fluster and his cheeks pinked up again. She loved knowing that he blushed so easily. Loved collecting these little pieces of knowledge about him.

He looked at her like he couldn't quite believe she was real. "You have the best laugh. I think I could hear it all the time and never get tired of it."

Never . It was such a final declaration—good or bad. Hearing it now, she heard the hope in it. Never . She wanted to put it in her pocket and keep it with her always. Write songs and melodies that matched exactly how that never made her feel.

Taylor knew they'd have to talk soon about what serious meant when you were dating "Taylor Swift." They'd have to talk logistics and schedules, security and Tree, paparazzi and fervent fans (on both sides). For now, she just wanted to luxuriate in this moment. Be here right now with this man who had done nothing but jump right into the deep end with her.

She squeezed his hand once more. They didn't let go for the rest of the night. 

***Note: This is probably the last chapter of this one, but I couldn't pass up writing their first date. However, I have a few more stories in process so more to come with these two!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Knight By m

Teen Fiction

19.6M 674K 57
COMPLETED [boyxboy] Mason Maloney has lived his whole life in the shadow of his twin brother, Nathan, star quarterback of the football team. While N...
2.6M 42.7K 47
Emma Cahill is the proud, single mother of Noah, a 5 year old football loving little boy at the center of her world. At 25 years old Emma has stopped...
17.5M 549K 37
"It's like he's a different breed of werewolf. Something... beyond us." • • • Adrienne Gage has spent her entire life being shunned and punished for...
15.5M 440K 73
"𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞?" "𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧, 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐞." Nothing in life...