Destiny's Harbinger: A(n Unhi...

Por 425anonymous

Cambria Kelemon is the daughter of Sir Cai of King Arthur's Round Table, a Lady of the Court of Caer Leon (Ca... Más

Chapter 1: The (Cryptic) Call of Destiny
Chapter 2: Morgaine's Plan
Chapter 3: Merlin Encourages me to Spread my Wings
Chapter 4: So Jason Knows the Justice Leage
Chapter 6: We Have a Long Overdue Conversation
Chapter 7: A Magical Moment
Chapter 8: Destiny: Round Two
Chapter 9: There are Portents?
Chapter 10: I Meet Etrigan
Chapter 11: Whatever's Coming, it's not Good
Chapter 12: Aftermath
Chapter 13
Chapter 14: Blood Red...Ceiling
Chapter 15: The Sign from the North
Chapter 16: Or Perhaps the True Sign from the North?
Chapter 17: The Briefing
Chapter 18: The Return of the King
Chapter 19: Camlann
Chapter 20: Trump Card
Chapter 21: A Happy Ending

Chapter 5: I Befriend an Amazon

20 0 0
Por 425anonymous

M'gann found me in the library in the morning. I had finished my first book and was several chapters into a new book when she poked her head in and breathed a huge sigh of relief.

"There you are!" she cried, rushing inside.

Her complexion had turned from green to Caucasian and she had a backpack slung over her shoulders. I realized she was getting ready to leave for school.

"Sorry, didn't realize you were looking for me," I said, marking my spot with my finger and closing the book.

"What are you doing up so early?" she asked.

"The time change compared to Wales has thrown me through a loop."

M'gann accepted that answer without any protest.

"Well, I just wanted to check in before school. Zatanna has to commute in to her school in New York City and already left. Connor--sorry, Superboy--and I are heading into Happy Harbor. Aqualad, Aquagirl, and Tempest were all called to a training exercise with Aquaman, but Troia is around," M'gann rattled off in one hard to follow breath. "We've got training this afternoon that you're welcome to observe or join if you want."

"Thank you, M'gann."

"No problem. See you after school!"

"Have a great day," I called as she zipped into the hallway and disappeared.

I read a bit further and once I found a good stopping spot, I stood up and cracked my back. I found Troia in the kitchen seated at the breakfast bar. She was wearing her white dress and sipping a mug of tea.

"Good morning," she said. "There's hot water."

She pointed to the kettle on the stove and directed me to the mugs and tea. When I had my own mug of tea brewing, I leaned against the island counter and casually folded my arms.

"You have an old soul," Troia commented.

I wasn't sure how to respond and I knew better than to deny it. Out of everyone here at the Cave, I had a feeling Troia and I would get along best.

"People say I have an old soul," Troia continued. "I suppose I do. Or perhaps people simply do not understand my culture."

"You introduced yourself as a princess," I recalled.

"Yes. My mother is queen of the Amazons. Are you familiar with my people?"

In truth, the new book I had picked up was about Greek mythology. Merlin had quiet the collection of books on Greek mythology, culture, and architecture, so I had a little background. I told Troia as much.

"The world of men is so different from my home. Our island is isolated. Time passes differently there. I was born eighty years ago, but I look as though I am a teenager. I only left home a couple of months ago and though I have learned much, I still have much to learn."

"I'm experiencing a bit of culture shock myself," I admitted. "I fell into my magical sleep long before you were born. Being here, experiencing the modern world...I find it difficult to comprehend. There are good changes, but there are some consistencies that surprise me--and not necessarily in a good way."

Troia seemed to open up after realizing how much we had in common.

"Tell me about the Amazons," I said.

I listened as Troia talked about Themyscira and the Greek gods. She painted a picture of a simple, fulfilling life dedicated to appreciating the world the gods created and training to harden skill and strength.

"What brought you to the world men?" I asked.

"Do you have siblings?" Troia countered.

I nodded. "An older brother."

"I have an older sister. In this world, she is known as Wonder Woman. You may have heard of her. When men descended into chaos in the 1940s, my sister became a war hero. Eventually, she returned home, but I grew up in her shadow, constantly compared to her deeds. When the world needed her again, she answered the call and eventually formed the Justice League," Troia explained. "I was always compared to Diana, but never given the same opportunities. I fought a long, uphill battle to be here. This is my opportunity to prove myself, though it is not a path I hope to follow for long. My sister fights injustice. I am proud to walk in her footsteps. But I see other ways of fighting injustice. Less violent ways."

"Are you talking politics?"

"Yes. Back home, my mother is the queen of the Amazons. She leads our people, aligns our actions with the will of our gods. Here, in the world of man, there is no sense of direction and my people have no voice. I want to rectify both these problems. Through unity, we can fight the greater problems of this world."

She reminded me a bit of Arthur. The idea of the Round Table was not revolutionary, but the way he pursued it was. Troia's hope for unity to be a tool against injustice was not novel either, but all it took was the right person with the right approach to make the change.

"You remind me of a very dedicated leader from my time," I said with a smile. "He preached equality. At the time, what he did was unheard of. He gave a voice to all loyal men, no matter their background. He even listened to a couple women. Part of me wonders what he would say if he were alive today."

Troia snorted and I couldn't help but laugh too. She drained her third cup of tea and pushed back her chair.

"Come, let us explore the Cave."

***

Troia and I spent the day wandering the halls of the Cave and walking the beaches that abutted Mount Justice. We weren't brave enough to venture into town, but surprisingly, the hours slipped by.

We crossed paths with M'gann and Superboy as we returned inside. They had exchanged their school clothes for workout clothes (at least M'gann had. Superboy seemed to wear the exact same thing no matter the occasion) and were the first to arrive for training.

M'gann asked questions about my day which I was happy to answer. Once I grew accustomed to her intense approach, I recognized the sincerity and warmth beneath her words.

"Are you joining us for training?" she asked.

"Perhaps I'll watch for today and get a handle on your process. Although, I should probably focus on training my magic first. I wouldn't want to cause injury."

We stood in the same room as last night when Batman introduced me to the Team. The Zeta Tubes activated, depositing Nightwing and two others in the Cave. The trio approached us.

"Hi, Cambria, I'm Batgirl."

She wore black and gray, like Batman, with a yellow belt slung around her hips. A curtain of dark red hair was pulled out the back of her cowl and cascaded down her shoulders.

"Technically, I'm the newest member of the team, but I came in with quite a bit of experience. I may not be the one to ask about Team-related things, but I'm pretty good at getting answers if you ever have any questions."

Next to her stood a boy, a little shorter than Batgirl, but just as athletic looking. He had neatly cut black hair, severe features that were partially covered by a mask, and a defiant look on his face. A black cloak, lined with yellow, wrapped around his shoulders. He wore red body armor and had a belt that matched Batgirls. A little emblem with the letter R was stamped onto the left breast of his shirt.

"Welcome to the Cave. I'm Robin. Technically the second, but who's counting?" he introduced, sticking out a gloved hand. I shook it, not quite sure how to respond.

Thankfully, the activity in the Cave picked up. Zatanna appeared from down the hall that led to the residential wing. She was wearing a white shirt under a yellow vest and black jacket. Over by the Zeta Tubes, the computerized voice announced the arrival of Black Canary, who Nightwing was quick to introduce me to. As we talked, other members of the Team continued to filter in.

"Have you done much physical training?" Black Canary was asking when the Zeta Tube started up again.

"Some. I know quite a bit about weapons. I don't know much about hand-to-hand combat, but honestly, it's not my priority at the moment."

"I understand. I hear you're working with Jason Blood?"

"Yes. Magic isn't necessarily his forte, but what I need right now is control. The spells and combat and everything else can come later. If I even need it at all. I suppose I need to figure out what to do with myself."

"Well, if you ever need a listening ear, you know where to find me."

I thanked Black Canary and slunk off to the side of the room so training could get under way.

With Nightwing's help, Black Canary demonstrated several combat techniques before turning things over to the Team. I felt like I was back at Caer Leon watching the knights train with Arthur. The precision, the repetition. It was mesmerizing, but left me with a pang in my heart.

I remembered standing on the grassy knoll by the training field, observing training with Morgaine or one of the other Ladies of the Court. We'd flounce around in our dresses, whisper and giggle to one another, and flirt with the knights between drills. Sometimes, Arthur put on a show for us and would banter with Morgaine. Other times, he was snippy, but I could tell Morgaine was pleased she'd gotten a rise out of him. It was on the practice field where Jason laid the groundwork for our courtship...

Batgirl took the redheaded boy in yellow to the mat. He landed with a thud, the wind knocked out of him.

"Are you okay, Wally?" M'gann called, darting forward to check on him.

"I thought you were supposed to have super speed, KF," Nightwing teased.

KF...Kid Flash, I pieced together based on my research.

He was on his feet in an instant, making a big show of brushing himself off.

"Oh, I was just letting the newbie here get some practice in," he said, putting on a casual façade that everyone immediately saw through. "I'm generous like--"

Batgirl knocked his legs out from under him before he even saw it coming. She looked quite pleased with herself, though she acted innocent and stuck a good-natured hand out to help him to his feet.

"Bit harsh there, BG," Kid Flash grumbled, rubbing at a sore spot on his hip.

"Sorry, I thought you were letting me get my practice in," she quipped back.

I watched the dynamics in the room, trying to piece how everyone fit together. Everyone seemed engaged and genuine. There was light-hearted banter, but also constructive conversations. Black Canary oversaw the training, but Nightwing and Aqualad, who had more experience than the others, offered bits of feedback that were taken in stride. Every few minutes, they rotated partners and Black Canary added a new element to the drill.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. I drew it out and saw a message on the screen from Jason. It took an embarrassing amount of time to get my phone unlocked and to navigate to the messaging interface, but when I did, I saw the text in full.

Just wrapped up for the day. Up for a visit and maybe some training? Also, Merlin said your things should be in the cargo bay. We can get some of the others to help us move it. No pressure if you're doing other things or if you still need time to settle in.

I didn't even bother attempting to send a text back. I stepped into the hallway and made a phone call.

"Hullo, Cambrie," Jason answered after just one ring. "I assume you got my text message?"

"Yes. I don't like typing on the little keyboard. I spend more time pressing the backspace button than actually writing my message. And even when I'm careful, it's riddled with errors."

Jason laughed, which made my stomach flutter. And that made my cheeks flush. But I didn't know where we stood, so I pushed my feelings aside and focused on the facts.

"Anyway, I called to say that I don't have any plans. I've been observing the Team's training session, but I think some training of my own would be more productive."

"Good. Did you have any specific training in mind or...?"

"Whatever you think will help me gain control. I'm up for anything."

There was a pause while Jason shuffled some things on the other end of the line.

"I've got a thought. I'll have to run home first and collect some supplies, but I'll be there soon."

I hung up and put my phone back in my pocket. I returned to observe training, but it was harder to focus. My eyes skipped between sparring pairs, no longer focusing on the minute details. I sank into the wall until the Zeta Tube started to hum and it flashed with bright light.

"Jason Blood A-08," the computerized voice read out.

Out of the light came Jason. He wore a long black raincoat over generic gray hoodie and black Adidas track pants. In his hand he carried two sheathed swords. I instantly recognized the craftsmanship and surged forward, eager to meet him, skirting around the training session, which derailed pretty quickly.

"Jason!" Robin called. "Ooh, whatcha got there?"

Everyone seemed to close in around us.

"Is that Garanwyn's?" I asked, reaching for one of the swords.

I knew the curve of the pommel by heart, the scuffs in the sheath, the detailing on the crosspiece. The royal swordsmith had made it, along with the other weapons for the Knights of the Round Table.

"Yes. I've held on to it, after all this time," Jason said, pressing it into my hands with a smile. "Never got around to sticking it with the rest of your things."

One of the trunks that had been preserved was crammed full of swords, knives, chainmail, armor, shields, and other related bits and pieces. I'd done a full inventory, recognizing swords from Father's collection, knives with the crest of Dyfed molded into the hilt or etched on the blade. The craftsmanship was incredible.

My hands shook with as I held the sword in both hands. For a moment, I simply stared. Then I took the hilt with my right hand and pulled the blade free of the sheath with a satisfying snick. The balance of the blade was perfect, the edges still honed razor sharp. Light glinted off the dips of the twin fullers.

"Careful with that thing!" Kid Flash yelped. "Do you even know how to use it?"

I whirled the blade in my hand, spinning it an complex but controlled series of movements. As my wrist twisted, I appreciated how the weight of the blade was distributed. The grip was a bit too large for my hand, but the leather was smooth to the touch, worn down from use and stained by blood and Garanwyn's sweat.

"I think the answer to that is yes," Nightwing supplied with a grin.

"Who's Garanwyn?" Superboy asked.

"My brother."

"What does his name mean in Welsh?" M'gann asked.

"White heron," I answered with a sad smile.

"Is he still around?" M'gann asked gently.

"No. He's passed on."

M'gann put a comforting hand on my arm.

"My apologies, Dinah," Jason said to Black Canary. "I had no intention of disrupting your training session."

"Not at all, Jason. I think we were wrapping up. They've put in quite a bit of work, but I think it's time to hit the showers."

While Nightwing, Troia, and Aqualad all looked like they could go a few more rounds, Tula, Zatanna, and a few of the others looked tired. Their foreheads glistened with sweat and they were still trying to catch their breath, despite hovering for several minutes.

"Before you go, do you think we could get a couple of hands to move some trunks?" Jason requested. "Cambrie's things were delivered to the cargo bay."

Superboy, Kid Flash, and Nightwing volunteered and as a group, we made our way deep into the Cave. As promised, my two trunks were side by side on the platform overlooking an underground port, along with my loom. The water lapped gently, the sound carrying through the cavern. Nightwing and Kid Flash each seized a handle of one of the trunks and lifted.

"What is in here?" Kid Flash groaned, straining under the weight. It was an exaggerated reaction, but entertaining.

I walked over and popped open the lid, revealing my miniature armory.

"What do you need all that for?" Kid Flash complained.

"My family died out with my generation. This is all I have left," I answered, letting the lid of the trunk clatter shut as I withdrew.

Superboy picked up the other trunk all on his own. The shape was awkward, but he carried it with ease, leading the way back through the Cave to my room. Jason and I were in the rear, wrestling with the loom. The trunks fit nicely in the room, one at the foot of the bed, the other against the wall, while my loom took up most of the remaining space. The first beginnings of a project were in the works, but my weaving had taken a back seat to my research of the modern world.

"Thank you," I said as the boys filed out of my room.

I joined Jason in the hallway and we wove our way back to the cavern with the Zeta Tubes for our own training session.

"You probably guessed, but I figured we could do a bit of sword practice," Jason said, shucking off his raincoat and piling it near the wall.

It was funny, seeing him dressed so casually. Yesterday, he had been dressed professionally, the equivalent of what he worn at Caer Leon, although Pendragon red was much brighter.

"Should we be worried about protection?" I asked.

"You can't hurt me," Jason reassured. "Worst case, you'd unleash Etrigan."

"And me?"

"Honestly? I think your magic would protect you. But I figured we'd ease into things and maybe just start with some drills. Some discipline."

I had sheathed Garanwyn's sword while we moved my trunks. Now, I tugged the sheath off and set it down near the wall. Jason unsheathed his own sword, a sibling to Garanwyn's. I recognized it from my past life.

"I can't believe you held onto Garanwyn's sword after all this time," I admitted, now that there were no prying eyes.

"Of course I kept it. He was my closest friend back then, Cambrie. And I figured you would want a piece of him, when you woke up."

"You were right. Thank you, Jason. For everything. I--"

"We don't have to talk about it now, Cambria, dear. Shall we?"

I nodded and cast my lingering thoughts aside. I focused on the weight of the sword in my hand, the way my fingers wrapped around the grip, how I moved my body. As I paced about, finding my center, I tried not to focus on the way I knew Jason was watching me. It was clinical, I told myself. After a moment, I switched my attention to Jason. He stood with his feet shoulder width apart, his sword held point down in his hand in such a casual way. His weight was perfectly balanced on the balls of his feet.

"You never gave it up," I realized.

"I've lived many lives, Cambria, but it's hard to forget your first. And, as it turns out, the sword was an essential weapon of the next couple of hundred years. My proficiency saved me a time or two on the battlefield. Got me a couple of jobs and commissions."

Jason studied my stance and my sword control.

"You've been practicing," he deduced.

"Yes. With Father's sword."

By comparison, Garanwyn's sword was a little longer, the blade slightly thinner.

"Well, then. Half speed?" Jason proposed.

I nodded and took my ready stance. Since I didn't have a shield to manage as well, I kept both hands on the sword hilt, holding it out in front of me, the point of the sword tilted forward.

Jason stepped forward, mirroring my stance. The bout started slow, our blades clattering together, the sounds echoing through the cavern. My feet moved, crossing over as I circled, Jason matching my every movement. At first, it felt awkward and unpolished, but as I sank into the rhythm, my footwork and sword movements began to flow.

"Good block," Jason commented after trying to sneak in a jab toward my side. "But watch the elbow. It's dropping."

I made the correction, shoring up my form and pushing Jason back. He parried each blow with ease, but let me practice the formations.

Growing up, I'd watched Father train Garanwyn. He drilled him in foundational moves. Side blocks and cuts, overhead and underhand swings, jabs and reverse cuts. An accomplished knight could take the foundational positions and string them together to form an affective attack or counterattack.

While my sword skills were quite limited in comparison to my father, Garanwyn, and Jason, I knew the principles.

"That combination you're doing there is great," Jason said even though he blocked the attack. "If you loosen up your wrist, you can get the blade around faster with more precision for--just like that."

I drank in all his complements and criticisms. Maybe it was his focused attention or the adrenaline or something else entirely, but I felt alive--more alive than I had since waking up from my slumber.

I lost track of time. Sweat poured down my forehead and neck. My cheeks were flushed and burning hot. There was a new weight to my arms as my muscles burned, but I pushed through it.

"Alright, Cambrie, I think we should call it," Jason finally said, withdrawing and letting the point of his sword drop. "We don't need to push ourselves too hard today."

I relaxed, lowering my blade.

"How are you feeling?" Jason asked.

"Good. That was good. Merlin never was good with swords, so I've been doing all my training on my own. It's nice to have a partner and to get some feedback."

"Your form was great, as always. Just a couple tweaks here and there and you'll be in fighting shape."

"So that's the goal? Fighting shape?"

"No, it's not the main goal. But I think if you know your physical limit and build your physical strength, we can maybe transfer what we learn to magic and control. And personally, I've found that having an outlet is useful because I don't let things fester and stay bottled up."

I nodded and smiled.

"Thank you. I really needed that."

"Of course, Cambrie," Jason said. "Well, I hate to train and run, but I have a seven thirty lecture tomorrow morning followed by a day of office hours and staff meetings. But my evening is free, if you're up for another training session."

"Sounds good."

Jason gathered his things, typed something into the Zeta Tube computer, and disappeared in a flash of light.

It was only when I turned around and started down the hallway toward my room that I realized we had been watched.

"Neat sword," Nightwing said. I instantly had the feeling he was building toward something. "I get the feeling an artefact like that should belong in a museum, not used as a practice piece."

There were a couple of new nicks in the blade, but nothing I couldn't fix with a whet stone or bit of magic. In fact, there was probably a spell somewhere that could preserve the piece and prevent damage in the future. I filed that thought away.

"I consider it an heirloom rather than an antiquity," I replied, brushing past. "A sword like this is meant to be used, not gather dust."

"You and Jason seemed rather...cozy," he offered.

"What are you getting at?"

"Nothing. Just trying to figure things out."

"You were eavesdropping. Surely you heard him call Garanwyn his best friend."

Nightwing didn't even deny that he had been listening.

"Garanwyn," Nightwing repeated with interest. "It's a unique name. An older name, I would reckon."

"State your point quickly or let me go shower."

"I'm just trying to learn more about you."

"We'll you'll just have to wait. I am in no mood to speak of it for the time being and I hope you will respect that. Good day."

I quickly returned to my room, lengthening my stride to cover the distance faster. Thankfully, Nightwing did not follow, though I had a feeling it wasn't much of a victory. This was like a game to him, and each interaction added fuel to the fire as he gathered new bits of information about me. I regretted speaking Garanwyn's name and allowing him to observe the closeness between Jason and I. But there was little I could do about that at the moment.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

13 0 5
BLOOD LEGION BOOK ONE "All of our fates are intertwined with war. It just depends which side of the blade you're on. Either you're the one holding it...
98.8K 3.7K 23
History tells us that once upon a time, King Arthur had a son named Duran Pendragon, and he died fighting valiantly in the mighty battle of Camlann...
28.8K 583 25
A long time ago, before Morgana became evil, before she knew she had magic, before Arthur became King, Morgana gave birth to her daughter. A sorceres...