Never Go Off-Script

By neverending_panic

In a fantastical world of adventurers and heroes, there's bound to be a need for information and supplies. Th... More

Disclaimer
Chapter 1 - Archer's POV
Chapter 1 - Cedar's POV
Chapter 2 - Cedar's POV
Chapter 3 - Archer's POV
Chapter 4 - Cedar's POV
Chapter 5 - Archer's POV
Chapter 5 - Cedar's POV
Chapter 6 - Archer's POV
Chapter 7 - Archer's POV
Chapter 7 - Cedar's POV
Chapter 8 - Archer's POV

Chapter 6 - Cedar's POV

4 1 0
By neverending_panic

The sounds of shouting woke me bright and early the next morning.

I blinked groggily, listening to all the various sounds of the docks — orders being called as a ship pulled into the docks, the sounds of seagulls calling out to one another, and waves crashing against the shore.

I looked forward to my journey to the docks just to wake up to this. Something was calming about it — though I probably only enjoyed it because of how different it was from the Trader's Path.

My mind took its sweet old time to wake up as I listened to the ambiance, staring at the ceiling and feeling at peace. Eventually, I managed to force myself out of bed and dug through my bag for fresh clothes.

Now that I was away from the warmth of the bedsheets, the grogginess of early morning faded quicker, and I was dressed and out the door in a matter of minutes. If I finished restocking quickly, I could get some fresh bread from the food vendors on the dock, and maybe even some energy potion — I felt like I'd be needing it. I wasn't technically supposed to barter food for myself on these trips, but I'd always gotten away with it.

I rushed down the stairs of the inn, and the host greeted me from his desk.

"Good morning, traveler!" he called out, and I smiled cheerfully, automatically.

"Good morning!" I replied, but the man just smiled at me blankly as I neared. Without thinking, I asked, "Could you tell me the best food vendors here today?"

The host launched into an informative script, and I realized too late I had neglected my own.

"Here at the docks, we have all sorts of sellers! The traders come in from the sea early every morning, carrying goods from all sorts of regions! If you're lucky, you might even find some foreign vendors from unknown regions in the realm. They have all sorts of goods that you might be interested in — that is, if you're not scared of encountering a witch! Take a look, and see what trinkets you can find!"

I stared at the host, sorting through his words for an answer to my question — but there was none. "Uh... th-thank you... I'll see what I can find."

As I turned away from the desk to head for the exit, the host called out his parting line.

"Safe travels, adventurer!"

I stopped in my tracks, the floor swaying beneath my feet. The events of yesterday rushed back to me.

Again.

Why did it happen again?

I looked back at the host, my eyes wide, my hands shaking at my sides. He smiled amiably back at me as if nothing was wrong, his eyes glassy. Was there a single thought behind those eyes?

Trying not to panic, I hurried out of the Coastside Inn.

"This is why you never go off-script, Cedar!" I scolded myself under my breath, my heart hammering in my chest. "If I just said my lines like I was supposed to, none of this would be happening!"

But then I faltered. Why was it happening in the first place? Why did I keep going off-script without thinking about it? It wasn't like it was natural for me — I'd never done it before. Was something wrong with me?

I shouldn't be able to veer from my lines. It wasn't right. I'd never encountered another trader who went off-script. I'd never even heard of it happening before. So why was it happening to me?

My fingers were tingling, and I noticed my breaths coming in sharp gasps. Don't panic, I told myself determinedly. Don't think. Just do what you came here to do.

Steadying my breaths, I climbed the wooden stairs to the docks, keeping a rhythm to my steps as I walked along the planks. One, two, three. One, two, three. One, two —

"Greetings, traveler! Care to restock your traveling inventory before you continue?"

I looked up, spotting the first vendor off to my right. She had a stand overfilled with all sorts of traveling necessities, like water satchels, compasses, maps, and books.

My heart fluttered. "Absolutely!" I exclaimed, sprinting over to her stand. She had books about everything — plants, animals, weather, ancient creatures, rocks, and even magic.

I picked up a book titled Magic in Nature; A Must-Have For Every Young Mage! and flipped to the summary page.

"Ahoy there, young mage! Within this book is everything you need to know on your journey to master magic! It might shock you to discover that everything around you can assist in your magical adventures! In the Plants and Herbs section, we've listed all the plants with magical properties, many of which can assist in healing — or the exact opposite! Our Creatures and Critters section will teach you that even the smallest creatures possess magic, and can help you in the most mind-boggling ways! Even weather plays a big part in magic, and with the proper guidance, you can learn to harness its power for your own use! Study this book, and learn the laws and uses of magic, and how it can help in your adventures!"

The more I read, the more my jaw dropped. My fingers itched to flip through the pages. "Is this real?" I asked the vendor, who smiled at me pleasantly.

"Great choice, adventurer!" the vendor exclaimed, and my stomach clenched as if I'd taken a blow to the stomach. My ears felt suddenly clogged, so I barely heard her next words ("With that book, you can become a powerful mage! I recommend this book as well; How to Adventure Effectively. It's very useful for adventurers and heroes alike...").

That's three times now.

"O-okay, thanks," I said, shakily setting down Magic in Nature; A Must-Have For Every Young Mage! and grabbing the adventuring one instead. I skimmed the summary as a distraction, but it drew me in, and I found myself asking the price.

The vendor charged me six gold pieces, which was sort of a lot for one book. I paid her, tucking the book away and departing from the stand.

"Hold on there, traveler! Aren't you forgetting something?"

"What?" I turned to face the vendor again, finding her holding out the Magic in Nature book. I didn't realize that, in showing my interest in the book, she had assumed I wanted that one, too.

"Thanks..." I mumbled, taking the book from her with trembling hands and adding it to my inventory. I guess that explains the price... Maybe I could refund it? I'd never had to refund anything before — I didn't even know if that was an option. Had I just wasted my precious gold on a book I didn't need? I mean, I wasn't a mage. What use would I have for the book, aside from an interesting read?

I walked away with it anyway, too much of a coward to ask about refund policies. It's fine, I tried to convince myself. It would be fun to read, at the very least. Besides, maybe I could trade it to someone who really needed it. Yeah, that would be fine. This was fine.

Refocusing on my task at hand, I continued down the docks. No more distractions, I decided.

I spent the rest of the day buying all sorts of new trade items, even bartering an enchanted storm-predicting ring for only eleven gold pieces — nine pieces less than the original price. It would be a handy trinket for all sorts of travelers. Maybe that hero would find some use in it. Although... he didn't really seem the type to walk around wearing an enchanted ring...

I blinked at the direction my thoughts had taken, my steps faltering. Why was that guy coming to mind all of a sudden?

My attention was claimed by another, "Greetings, traveler!" and I wandered over to the next vendor to see what they had to offer.

By the end of the day, I'd gathered enough items to last me until my journey to the docks next week. Satisfied, I headed back to the Coastside Inn as the sun disappeared behind the ocean's horizon.

Rummaging through my pack to double-check that I had everything I needed before leaving the docks, I swung around the corner of the inn, ramming straight into a man in armor.

Stumbling back, I flung my hand out, catching my balance on the wall. My pack tumbled to the ground, its contents spilling out across the sand.

"S-sorry!" I stuttered, glancing up at the armored man. For a second, my heart leaped into my throat as I registered blond hair, but those hopes plummeted as the man turned to face me. It wasn't who I thought it was, and the fact that I had hoped to see that hero made me question myself momentarily.

"Watch where you're going, freak," the man said angrily, brushing off his armor as though I'd contaminated it.

"My apologies," I said, bemused. At least that line was in the script, unlike that mortifying S-sorry! I had just stammered out.

The hero made a sound like tch. He glanced down at my stuff scattered across the sand and aggressively kicked it aside.

My smile wavered. What?

"Sorry! My apologizes!" the man mimicked, scoffing. "Don't you have anything more to say? You should be offering me something to make up for your disrespect."

I forced my pleasant smile back onto my face as I met the hero's eyes, urging myself to stick to my lines. But how exactly was I supposed to respond to that?

"Uh —"

"I don't accept your apology." He shrugged offhandedly as if it was customary to reject apologies. "So? How you gonna make it up to me?"

While I stood there in silence, the hero looked me over, a slow grin spreading across his face. For some reason, it sent cold shivers down my spine. His smile wasn't anything like the other hero I knew.

An uneasy feeling sank into my stomach. My legs shook beneath me like they wanted nothing more than to run, but I couldn't move. I couldn't speak; the only thing I could do was stand there stupidly, that pleasant smile locked on my face — although it probably looked odd with the panic in my eyes.

The hero glanced at my expression and sighed. "Right, I forgot you NPCs are too dumb to engage in basic conversation."

The hero slammed a hand against the wall, and I recoiled as he leaned over me, trapping me there the way he probably cornered villains. "Should I spell it out for you? Or maybe I could simply show you."

If there was ever the time to run, it should have been now. Why wouldn't my legs move?

"After such a boring journey" — the hero's hand gripped at the dagger in his sheath — "I think I deserve a bit of excitement."

"What are you —" I started, but the hero got right up in my face, cutting me off.

"Ah, ah," he cautioned, and it was then that I noticed the dagger pressed against my neck. "One wrong move and you might get hurt."

I flinched, and he grinned in ecstasy in response. He pressed the dagger roughly into my skin, slicing a thin line across my throat.

A jolt of pain ran through me, and the hero laughed darkly as I whimpered. "That's what I like to hear."

He gripped my jaw in his free hand, so tightly that I felt like my bones would shatter. His strength was just like a hero's should be — just like the evils he fought, I couldn't get away. There was no escape.

His dagger slid down to my collarbone, tracing the hollow of my throat as he crooned thoughtfully, "Let's see now... What can I do to teach you a lesson you won't forget?"

"No, please —" I begged as he pressed the dagger harder against the soft skin of my neck.

"You're talkative for an NPC," the man noted, and I froze. He was right. An NPC wouldn't be begging for mercy in this situation — Which... that's pretty messed up now that I was thinking about it...

I choked back a terrified sob, and this, for some sickening reason, only spurred the man on. He dragged the dagger down my chest, cutting the laces in my canvas doublet, slicing into the skin beneath my shirt.

"You're kinda pretty for a dude..." the man mused, studying my face —which probably looked downright horrified by now. "Maybe I'll rough you up a little differently than I planned..."

My stomach churned, sending a cold dread down my spine. I clawed at his armor, trying to push against him, but it seemed no matter what I did, he only got more excited. Should I scream? Would anyone come to my aid? If this man was a hero, what did that mean for all the other heroes?

The man suddenly guffawed, looking positively gleeful at the tears rolling down my face. He knew I was scared. He enjoyed that I was fighting back.

The thought made me want to hurl. My heart pounded in my head, pumping adrenaline through my blood. I beat a fist against his broad chest, trying to hit him in a place that hurt — but I only hurt myself in the process, bruising my hand against his armor. There was no escape.

He seized my wrist tightly to stop me from fighting, his strength sending a stab of pain down my arm. I swore my wrist would snap from his grip alone.

"Stop —" I pleaded, but he brought the dagger to my lips, tutting.

"You're a feisty one, aren't you?" he purred, licking his lips hungrily. Bile rose in my throat. What was he, some sort of beast?

No, this man... He may have looked like a hero, but he was a monster.

My head spun wildly. I had to get away. I didn't want this. I don't want this.

I'm scared.

Adrenaline shot down my arms, and I pushed hard against his chest with both hands, screaming, "STOP!"

The man jerked back like he'd been hit by some unknown force. He landed on his back with a clatter of armor, the sheer momentum sending him in a backward somersault across the sand.

I didn't pause to question my own strength. While he was dazed, I made a run for it, sprinting toward the main path — if I kept running, I'd eventually reach the Trader's Path. Surely there, someone would help me.

I looked over my shoulder, surprised to see I wasn't being followed. Had I lost him already? Or maybe he was still gathering himself?

I didn't take any chances. I kept running until I was certain I'd lost him, and I dove behind a cluster of berry bushes, making myself as small as possible.

My entire body was shaking; my heart beat so fast it felt like it would give up on me. I clamped a hand over my mouth, stifling my sobs. Would he search for me? Should I hide somewhere else? Maybe I should cover up with a cloak to disguise myself —

It was then that I realized I didn't have my bag. Swiftly, the reality of that realization sank in like dread. I left all my stuff behind.

I sank to the ground, too shaken to move, too scared to peek around the bushes I hid behind. Did I just lose an entire week's worth of tradeables? I didn't have the gold to buy more supplies, and I sure wasn't about to march back down there and gather up my stuff with that... monster waiting for me.

I don't know how much time passed while I sat there, frozen in fear of being found, berating myself for leaving my supplies behind and not having the guts to go collect them — if they were still there.

The sun had long since set. There was no moon to brighten the sky, and the breeze coming off the surface of the ocean was cold. I hugged myself to keep warm, not daring to venture the short distance to the inn on the offchance the man was still lurking.

I must've fallen asleep at some point, because when my eyes opened again, I could see the sun peeking out over the horizon, poking through the gaps in the bush branches and kissing my face with warmth.

My body ached from laying on the solid dirt all night. My stomach growled, my throat burned, and my mouth felt like sandpaper. Overall, sleeping behind a berry bush was not a good experience.

As anxious as I was about traveling alone, I knew I couldn't stay hidden behind the bushes any longer; the sun would eventually bake me alive, and I needed to quench my hunger and thirst. Besides, I had to get back to the Trader's Path.

I glanced over at the main path. It was just a few feet away from where I hid. Just up the hill, over the crest, and I'd be gone. I knew if I left the docks, I would feel safer. All I had to do was get away.

But I wasn't going anywhere without my stuff.

My legs aching, I crept out of my spot, cautiously making my way back to the Coastside Inn, glancing over my shoulder all the while. Once I made it to the corner where I'd bumped into that man, I paused, my heart pounding. I scanned the area from a distance, but no one was there; just the front property of the inn, random objects littered about the sand — no, not random objects. My objects.

They were still there, right where I left them. I'd expected him to take them, at least... Unless he'd left them there as a trap to lure me in.

I hesitated, wondering whether it might be smarter to abandon the tradeables and begin my journey back to the Trader's Path. But I couldn't just leave everything — not after all the money I'd spent to get them. Plus, I needed them for the week ahead of me. What else would I sell without them?

Mustering all the courage I had left, I sprinted toward the sickening spot, abandoning my caution behind me. I dropped to my knees and collected the trinkets, stuffing everything back into my pack, which was left exactly where I had dropped it last night. I glanced around wildly the entire time, fully expecting that man to jump out from one of the surrounding bushes and attack me.

But there was no ambush, and I stood up from the ground, eager to get away from the docks and onto the main path. I didn't risk ducking into the inn to eat — I had some supplies to spare in my inventory if I needed to eat or drink.

I just needed to get away from here. Only then would I feel better.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 103 42
When I first saw my neighbor, My heart is racing, and I can't see anything. I felt pain in my heart. Just seeing a girl made me feel like I had a hea...
417K 15.4K 70
Coming out must be hard but only doing so because you can no longer hide your feelings for your bestfriend is unimaginable. A story about falling in...
708K 42.6K 37
**COMPLETED-- First in the Wild Magic series** "My heart doesn't beat right if you aren't holding me in your arms." Edon has never known home, or fam...
403K 12.6K 23
Liam Green, an alpha with a secret who's ready to give up on the idea of finding his mate after 6 years of searching. Finely Floyd, a grade A asshol...