Hidden Burdens (working title)

By ShannonLeathem

Ben and his wife, Kayla, are foster parents who take in kids who have had a difficult start to life to share... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Thanksgiving: Round Two
Meltdown in the Park
Decorating the Christmas Tree
Progress
It's Never Easy to Say Good-Bye
A New But Familiar Burden
Who is Jesus?
Christmas
A New Foster Kid
Kimmy's First Court Hearing
Regrets and a Party
Unexpected Explosion
Road to Recovery and Love
Resurrecting Fear
Leaf Blowers and Regrets
An Overwhelmed Yearning

Chapter Forty-three

164 7 0
By ShannonLeathem

Ben and Kayla checked through the kids' candy just to be on the safe side even though there wasn't a reason to and organized them into bags with their names from the non-candy treats. They also let the kids choose one piece of candy for the night before getting ready for bed.

Like the goody-two-shoes he was, Miguel chose to eat the piece of fruit he got. "Fruit is better before bed than candy because it's not loaded with sugar."

Kayla confirmed he was right while his sister teased him for it.

Truthfully, Kimmy still found it annoying whenever Miguel turned into a mini adult. Has this kid ever been in trouble before?

Mary and Miguel talked to their aunt over the phone to tell her all about the fun weekend they had, including Monday, as well, while Kimmy headed upstairs to get ready for bed. While she was flipping through the Pokemon cards, Kayla brought her the phone so Stella could say good night. Thankfully, her mom had calmed down and listened to Kayla share what Kimmy did for Halloween, and about going to the fair since they hadn't been able to yet.

While Kayla filled Stella in, Kimmy continued to flip through the cards, organizing them by elemental type. She listened to her mom and foster mom, of course, and could hear them, but wanted to keep herself busy. It was a surprise Stella hadn't brought up they wouldn't see each other next weekend, though. Kimmy figured her mom would be the most pissed off.

-- & --

October switched into November.

The weather remained warm for a little bit longer. At least it wasn't unbearable and Ben didn't make a fuss any longer about making sure the back door got shut whenever anyone came and went.

Miguel had resumed jumping on the trampoline, having missed it. He started with only jumping up and down, but when his sister went out to jump with him, she encouraged Miguel to show her those cool moves he could do. Even Claudia got in on the fun and jumped with them, letting Miguel tackle her.

The kids talked Ben into joining them, but his time on the trampoline was brief when he bounced high and his knee gave out on him, reminding Ben of his age. Nothing was torn or broken, thankfully. He had to cheer on everyone else from the patio, including Kayla, who was only a year older than he was and could last a lot longer than he could.

Maybe he should start exercising again.

Kimmy had wandered to the back door to see what everyone was up to.

Ben noticed and came over to open the door and encourage her to join the others. She stepped outside with him but didn't head to the trampoline. Since she seemed to be hesitant and Ben couldn't join them either, he offered to toss the football some more, grabbing one from the outdoor toy bin. They hadn't tossed it since that day at the park when Miguel had his playdate.

Kimmy followed him to the grassy area where they spread out.

"Ready?" Ben held the ball like his dad showed him and lightly tossed it so it spiraled through the air Kimmy could easily catch it.

Despite the heads-up, Kimmy seemed startled. She fumbled with the ball, missing it. She quickly scooped it up.

Ben praised her for the effort, though, clapping. He reminded her how to throw the ball. She seemed to put in the effort and tried with all her might. It was about as clumsy as when Ben was learning as a kid.

The two of them kept at it for a while while Miguel and the girls continued jumping on the trampoline. Like the first time, it took a while for Kimmy to become loose and look like she was having fun. Not after she began to get more into it, Miguel ran over, wanting to join them. The three of them tossed the football between them for another few minutes before Ben suggested the kids continue by themselves, needing some water to cool down.

Yeah, he definitely needed to start exercising again.

Miguel played with Kimmy for a little bit before wanting to return to the trampoline. The girls however were also done. "Come on, Kimmy," he called over to her and waved his arm for Kimmy to come jump with him.

That's when Kimmy returned inside and headed back upstairs while Ben got started on dinner.

-- & --

November was also spent getting to know more people. Not only did Kimmy have to meet with Mrs. Johnson, but she also had to meet with a lady named Nicole. Mary and Miguel met with her, as well. It wasn't all at once. They met with her on Tuesdays while Kimmy met with Nicole on Wednesdays.

The first couple of sessions were just getting to know each other. The first time they met, she asked Kimmy to draw a picture of her family. The drawing could be of anyone, though, regardless if they were family or not. Nicole only wanted to know the people most important to Kimmy. So, Kimmy drew her mom and brother on one side of the blank piece of paper, and on the other side, she drew Stephen and his friends. Nicole didn't understand who they were even when she took a few guesses. It wasn't until she talked to Ben about it afterward did she know for next time.

To her relief, Kimmy still got to have visits with Zach, Sunday afternoons. Kayla arranged the visits with his foster parents at a park since their house was usually chaotic. Zach's foster dad had to stay in close range, though, especially when there were other kids around or anyone with an open drink.

That was another thing Kimmy had to be on high alert about. If any liquids were left unattended, Zach would find them and start chugging. He already had his first taste of beer when their dad wasn't looking. At first, their dad was mad and chewed Zach out once he ripped the can out of the kid's hands. But after a moment their dad laughed it off. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough and Kimmy could guess Zach's many quirks were another reason that drove their dad to leave.

It seemed like only Kimmy had the patience for Zach. That is until she saw him around his foster dad. Despite Kimmy trying to keep from warming up to hers, Zach loved his. He let his foster dad hug him and even kiss him on the forehead. They high-fived every time Zach slid down a slide, making sure the guy was watching or something.

"What are you doing, Zach?" Kimmy asked him quietly enough for only her brother to hear when he climbed back onto the playset. But of course, Zach did not respond, heading straight for the slide.

Kimmy watched Zach repeat the process, holding her arms on the colorful, metal railing. What was happening? Didn't Zach understand that wasn't their dad? Did Zach understand anything that was going on?

Kimmy left the visit with even more mixed feelings. Everything was changing and it felt like her family and everything she knew was being torn apart and for good.

The world and everyone seemed to move on and live their life as if nothing bad ever happened to them. Even Claudia had her moments when she looked happy. And Zach, he always seemed happy. Even after one of his meltdowns, the kid seemed to bounce back and would be making his happy noises he made.

It was all for show, though. Nobody had to be that happy. Not when Kimmy kept turning a corner or walking into a room only to catch glimpses of the masks being off. Especially Ben, who seemed to fail at hiding behind his mask.

Nothing changed since her attempt to raise her hand and praise from Mr. O'Reilly. Kimmy still stayed quiet in class. However, she kept an eye on Ryder to see if he used the pencil that was in the prize bag. The only pencils he ever used were those mechanical pencils. That being said, he could have thrown the Halloween pencil away or given it to someone and kept the candy and other things for himself.

Regardless, Kimmy couldn't help feeling tense inside whenever Ryder caught her attention. Whenever he caught her staring at him, she'd quickly look away or return to what she was doing. After a few times of it happening, Ryder told Mr. O'Reilly, who took Kimmy aside to see what was going on.

"Sometimes, when we space out we end up staring at others," he said. "Is that what's happening to you? You were just thinking and weren't actually staring at Ryder?"

Kimmy kept her gaze on the cement nearby. She eventually just shrugged.

"Well, if that is all it is, that's okay," he reassured. "But, just in case. If you are intentionally staring at him, that's not okay, Kim. Being stared at can make people feel uncomfortable and that's not okay. Okay?"

Kimmy continued staring at the cement.

Mr. O'Reilly moved his head to meet her gaze. "Did you hear me, Kimmy?"

She forced herself to nod her head. Kimmy wasn't in trouble for telling the truth this time. Regardless of the reason for staring at Ryder, she was let off with another warning for now and they returned inside the classroom.

When Ben picked the kids up from school, it didn't seem like Mr. O'Reilly had told him what happened.

-- & --

The Friday before Thanksgiving, the school put on its Fall assembly. It was more time spent out of class for Kimmy.

A few of the grades got up and sang songs they had been learning in their music special. It was mostly traditional music from before they were born. The second graders sang a song from Disney's Frozen. It wasn't the overplayed song, but having to watch the movie back at the shelter home with the other kids, Kimmy knew where it was from.

Aside from listening to kids singing, Mrs. Kendrick and the principal, Mrs. Hudson, passed out awards to some of the students of each grade, for attendance and good grades. Neither of which Kimmy had. Her grades weren't terrible like at her old school, but they weren't anywhere near perfect. At least this time she had legit reasons for the days she didn't go to school. Most of her didn't care if Kimmy won an award or not. But after winning that Bingo on Halloween and getting a taste for victory, even a small one, it stirred up a bitterness. It didn't help when she heard Mary's name called.

That was when she noticed Ben and Kayla among other proud parents who had come to see the assembly. They cheered and clapped as Mary made her way up to the stage and shook each hand of Mrs. Kendrick and Mrs. Hudson.

That feeling Kimmy had felt towards Ryder returned. She tried to desperately push it down, which only caused a slight pain in her chest. Kimmy forced herself to clap along with their foster parents instead. That was her foster sister. She should be celebrating, right? If it was Zach, Kimmy would be excited for him. So she pushed out a smile to be happy for Mary, just like everyone else.

Of course, Kimmy had to hear all about it later that afternoon when they got in the truck and again the next day at the dinner table since Mary and Miguel had dinner with their aunt, Friday evening.

Reality hit when Kimmy was reminded Mary had her own problems, as well, and needed that good news when she overheard the older girls talking when she had come upstairs after taking out the trash. That tense feeling finally loosened up and a familiar weight dropped on the youngest girl's shoulders once Kimmy realized how selfish she was while turning on her Switch.

What was wrong with her? She never cared about this stuff before. Why now all of a sudden?

The girls switched topics now that Kimmy was there. Mary asked if she had seen a new video of that girl they liked. Kimmy put her headphones on to tune them out for a while.

There was a point when she overheard Mary ask, "Is he coming by tonight?"

"Yup. He finally got his new car and said he would show me," Claudia said.

"Why doesn't he just come during the day? They won't mind."

Claudia scoffed. "Please. They're not gonna want him around if they meet him."

"They already know you're seeing him and they don't care. Just tell them, Claud."

"And have them watching our every move? No thanks. Besides, I'm sure Ben definitely would freak out if he met Jake."

"He's just trying to help," Mary pointed out.

"Well, I don't need his help. Or anyone else, and as soon as everyone learns that the better we'll all be." The bed creaked signaling Claudia had leaned back against her headboard.

"If you don't like it here, why don't you just try to get emancipated to live on your own?"

"Living on your own costs money, dingus," Claudia said playfully. "That's why Kayla and I have been driving everywhere around here. The sooner I can find a job, the sooner I can start saving." She got up to pull open the top drawer of her dresser where Claudia kept all the money she earned doing extra chores.

Mary gasped. "You made all that just from doing extra chores?"

"Well, that, and Jake gives me some now and then as a gift to make sure I have money for lunch. What I don't use goes in the Freedom Fund," she explained.

"Freedom Fund?"

Claudia snickered. "Well, what would you call it?"

"I don't know. College Fund?"

"You do know there are scholarships for kids like us, right? And financial aid?"

"Wait, we do?" Mary asked, genuinely surprised but intrigued.

"We practically have a full ride if we want it." The drawer was closed.

"But we're gonna move with our aunt so we won't be foster kids for long," Mary said.

"Your dad is incarcerated. I'm sure there's resources for kids in your situation."

There was a pause like Mary was thinking or something.

"Sorry," Claudia said sympathetically.

"No, it's okay," Mary assured her, brushing it off.

Kayla came to the door to see if the girls wanted to play a board or card game. Mary jumped at the idea, while Claudia shrugged.

"Sure," she said.

After the girls left, Kayla turned to get Kimmy's attention, asking if she wanted to join them. "You can help me if you want, to observe if you want to play on your own or not."

Kayla left her alone but extended the invitation to come down and join whenever Kimmy wanted.

Kimmy sat there, staring at her game for a moment. She tried to keep playing, but there was a gnawing feeling telling her she should go down there. It wasn't like she never played a board game before. Kimmy had gotten those kids games for Christmas when she was little and sometimes Stella would play with her. On a rare good day, their dad would join in the fun. It was one of the few happy moments they had together as a family.

It took her a long drawn-out time to go downstairs where everyone was sitting around the coffee table, playing one of those party card games. Kimmy slid along the wall from the stairs, stopping just enough to peek around the corner into the family room. Claudia was the one to notice her and waved her over to join them.

Kimmy timidly crossed to stand behind the couch. She had grabbed her Husky plush to hold onto, hugging the toy to her chest.

Kayla reminded Kimmy she could be on her team and invited Kimmy to sit beside her. They continued the game, letting Kimmy go at her own pace. She stayed there behind the couch and watched them instead. The game wasn't one Kimmy was familiar with. It seemed like it would be easy enough if Miguel knew how to play.

A few minutes passed when Kimmy noticed Samson lying on the floor nearby and went over to sit with him, dropping onto her legs. He stretched all four legs out when Kimmy reached out to pet his head.

Kimmy turned her head to continue watching the game. But after a while headed back upstairs to her room and watched Josh's stream instead when she saw the notification on her tablet that he was live. She propped the tablet in its case on her bed to watch while playing with her action figures.

Right now Edward and Isabelle needed to team up to save Al and Tom Nook from Shrek who was under an evil spell. He sent his minions, Jerry, who was a Creeper from Minecraft, and Dr. Doof, from Phineas and Ferb, who needed the extra work on the side after Edward and Isabelle to stop them. The yellow dog was tougher than she looked and together, she and Edward easily defeated Jerry and Dr. Doof before making their way to Shrek's lair where they had to fight the Ender dragon, who put up an even bigger fight. It seemed like Isabelle would have gone to the big doghouse in the sky if Ed hadn't pulled off the spell that trapped the dragon long enough for her to escape. The two of them then pulled together and used their finishing blows to finally defeat the dragon...

Footsteps startled Kimmy back to reality when Claudia returned, causing her to freeze up a little.

Claudia paid no mind and dropped down on her bed to grab her tablet and scroll through social media. It was enough that Kimmy couldn't be as animated as she had been alone, and just fully watched Josh.

Kimmy inaudibly laughed at a crude joke, which Claudia must have noticed.

"Do you even know what that means?" she asked, looking up from her tablet.

Kimmy looked over at Claudia, blinking for a moment before nodding her head. Why was this so hard for them to understand? It didn't even seem like a big deal to her.

Claudia didn't look upset. She let out a "huh," as if she was impressed. "I mean, I was about your age when I learned that stuff, too. You just don't seem the type, that's all." Claudia then told her to carry on.

Kimmy turned back to Josh's stream just as he cussed out loud at dying in the game he was playing for who knows how many times. Even though she heard adults cussing, Kimmy knew not to repeat it. That it was something only adults were allowed to say and would be in big trouble if a cuss word came out of her mouth.

With the frustration he was having, Josh decided it was time to wrap up and end the stream for the night. Kimmy exited out of Twitch and continued playing with her toys. She continued the story she was acting out, just not as animated as before. But Shrek was defeated and Al and Tom Nook were freed at last before Kimmy had to go to bed.

Ben continued to read to Kimmy. They had finished A Diary of a Wimpy Kid already and moved on to other books, mostly from the library downstairs. For now, Kimmy picked short books so she could hear the full story in one sitting and not have the urge for Ben to continue.

Kimmy still kept her distance on the couch from him. Instead of sitting on the edge, however, she sat closer to the back of the couch. For the most part, she would stare at the pictures while listening to the story. Every now and then Kimmy caught herself watching Ben, who would smile and continue reading, especially when she would quickly look away.

When the story was over, Kimmy would head back upstairs while Ben made sure all the lights were off and the doors were locked before following behind. Sometimes she would wait for him. Other times, Kimmy would head straight to bed. This time, she waited for him at the bottom of the stairs.

"Everything okay?" he asked once the lights and doors were taken care of.

She nodded.

"Just waiting for me," he guessed.

She nodded some more.

Ben smiled and motioned upstairs with his head. He followed Kimmy upstairs, checking in on Miguel, who was already asleep, and Mary, who was brushing her dark brown hair before going to bed. He saved Kimmy and Claudia for last, taking both tablets from them to go plug the tablets in downstairs.

Claudia was bitter about it as usual, but she admitted after he was gone, no other foster placement usually gave out stuff like that. The older girl was definitely a puzzle. One moment she was bitter and hated them, the next she was thankful and liked them.

A lot of people Kimmy met were like that, including her mom. They were hard to understand, and a lot of time, mean. But getting to know them, they weren't so bad and were kind.

Kimmy laid there, staring up at the dark ceiling until sleep overcame her, thinking about the last few months.

She woke up a few hours later to use the bathroom before quietly making her way over to the window in the loft. Down below she could faintly make out Claudia standing on the sidewalk, with her arms loosely folded in front of her. She was talking with someone sitting sideways in the driver's seat of a two-door sports car, putting something to his mouth. Having a dad who smoked cigarettes, Kimmy assumed that's what he was doing.

Claudia leaned over to kiss the guy on the lips and turned to head inside.

Kimmy bolted back to bed, diving for it when she was in range. She quickly pulled the comforter over her and slid the headphones over her ears to pretend to be asleep. Some time had passed when she felt someone nudge her arm.

One side of the headphones was then removed. "I know you're not asleep," she heard Claudia say.

Kimmy kept up the act.

Claudia shook the kid until Kimmy gave in and opened her eyes. "I saw you in that window," she said, exposing Kimmy while keeping her voice down so no one would hear. "Look, I know you can't talk to anybody yet. But if you ever do, do not say anything about what you saw."

Claudia stood up straighter to go back to bed. "We're not doing anything bad. We're just talking. Okay?"

Kimmy blinked at her through the darkness. From the dim light outside, she could see Claudia faintly, who could also see her nod.

"He's a good guy," Claudia said. "I just don't need anyone asking questions and watching us." She laid down under her comforter and turned over on her side with her back to Kimmy.

Kimmy sat there for a while, relieved nothing happened to her for eavesdropping before dropping onto her pillow.

Unfortunately, feeling wide awake. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 56 8
Charlotte Grey has not known kindness for many years. After losing her parents in an accident when she was seven, she was thrown in an orpahnage. Aft...
645K 24.7K 67
Kayla, 17. She is trying to do what she has to do to provide for herself. Kayla's dad was always there for her, loved ANC cared for her, they had a g...
104K 4.6K 16
I'm working every waking hour. You'd think that smuggling would pay better, but nothing has been easy since the war. I can't go on like this. I need...
960 149 30
Denise is searching for a miracle to get rid of a heartbreak.....she soon finds one.....Sam, the church boy who for some reasons sees his sister in h...