I Found You

By Courtney98xo

This story is based on the BBC show Peaky Blinders, we start off in the year 1921 and so forth, up until 1934... More

Actors and Actresses
Part 1. The First Time Meeting You.
Part 2. Moving, Moving Where?.
Part 3. We Meet Again.
Part 4. An Unexpected Invitation.
Part 5. A Problem Shared, Is A Problem Halfed.
Part 6. Billy Kimber.
Part 7. Killing Someone.
Part 8. The Races.
Part 9. The Lee Family.
Part 11. First Job Of The Company.
Part 12. Questions Spinning and My Head Killing.
Part 13. I Found You And You Found Me.

Part 10. Our First Kiss.

43 0 0
By Courtney98xo

I tossed and turned all night, partly due to what had happened with Kimber that day still playing in the back of my mind. I had that same horrible recurring dream once again. I bolted up right in bed and gasped aloud, quickly scanning the room, making myself aware of my surroundings, making sure I was safe. Once I realised where I was, I sighed heavily to myself and shook my head, whilst emerging from under the duvet and getting up to get ready for work, honestly you would think I lived there and just slept here, at this rate.

It took a while, but I finally got to work, doing my usual duties, duties that I could by now do with my eyes closed and stood on one leg. I was working on my own today, that was until Tommy's older brother Arthur, came in told me to help him with getting some crates up, from the cellar and then he went straight into his office and plonked himself down, in his office chair and began to count aloud. So, I did as I was told, as Tommy I can argue with from time to time, but I didn't want to cross Arthur, for word on the street is, sometimes he even batters his own misses about and I've had a fear few knocks from fellas, since being here in Birmingham and I ain't about to have anymore. I carried the first crate up struggling to do so, with how heavy it was. I looked over my shoulder to see that Arhur, could clearly see that I was struggling, as he had his office door wide open but didn't even move an inch to help.

The cheek of him I thought, there I am a not so strong, woman lifting more than half her body weight, backwards and forwards and he can see me doing it, since he has the door wide open and he is just sitting there counting away, ignorant git, I thought to myself. I then, got a strong smell of something that smelt entirely off. I looked around trying to find the reason for the smell, that was until I realised that it was infact the crates of cigarettes that were on the table in front of me. I didn't dare question Arthur, but I needed to know what I was getting myself into, so I plucked up the courage to say something.

"These cigarettes have a strange smell Arthur!". I said to him. I then, took one out of the crate and inspected it further, I've seen a fair few cigarettes in my time and they look like nothing I've seen before, not even have I seen Tommy smoke something like these and he smokes a lot. "They smell like rotting water and look, rats have gotten to them". I said, as I brought the cigarette in my hand and stood by the doorway to show Arthur. Arthur then, snatched the cigarette from my hand and inspected it himself. I then twigged at how they had got here. "There stolen aren't they?". I questioned. "Don't ask". Arthur, finally said something.

"There stolen cos ya keep them on a boat don't ya". I said. "What do you care!". Arthur snapped slightly. "Now can you come and check my adding up please". He demanded, but I was shocked that he actually used manners for a change. I then, smirked at him and I walked over and put the box of cigarettes on the table and pulled the peice of paper, he was working on towards me, to get a better look at what he had done. "You should make a new start with this place ya nar!". I said to him, as I turned tonlook at him. "Do it properly, these cigs aren't fit to sell". I continued.

Arthur picked the packet up and sniffed them. "Smells like Gallipoli". He said. "You could find a new place to store them ya nar". I said. "It has to be far away from coppers". He replied, as he plonked the packet back down on the desk. I chuckled. "But not rats". I laughed. "All the wharfs have rats, Roselyn". Arthur replied. "What's wrong with a dry warehouse?". I asked. "Tommy's orders". Arthur told me. "What orders?". I asked. "Always keep contraband near to petrol boat moorings". He replied. "Don't boats get searched though?". I said. "We moor them at junctions, so there's more than one way out". He told me. "No locks within a mile so we can move stuff fast". He continued.

I nodded and walked away from the desk. "Ya brother doesn't obey the law but he has rules". I said to him. "He's a very precise man your brother". I continued, as I walked out of his office and continued with my work, before we opened up to the public. "Is my adding up right!". Arthur shouted out from his office. I stopped and chuckled to myself. "It is now!". I called back. After a very long and tiring day, it was finally closing time. I walked out of the front of the pub door and locked it. The street quiet and still, as it was late and everyone else had gone home, so I didn't think anyone would be around, at this time.

"Arthur tells me you've been asking questions!". A voice boomed from behind me, making me jump around in shock. Only too see a familiar face, standing infront of me, which made me relax a little. His peaked cap, casting a shadow over his chizled face, as it hung low on his head. "Oh god, where the hell did you come from!". I cried out, holding my hand up to my chest to steady my breathing, but I got no answer from him. "About how we run our business?". Tommy continued ignoring my sentence. I never said a word, other than stare at him, for I didn't think what we talked about earlier today, would get back to Tommy. "And where we get our booze and where we keep it". He added. "Eh, oh, correction it was cigarettes actually, that we were talking about". I chuckled slightly, but just recieved a cold hard stare, from Tommy, who didnt seem amused. I swallowed hard, before speaking. "I'm just trying to help". I said. Tommy said nothing other than nod his head.

"Let's you and me go for a walk". He said sternly. "Where?". I asked. "Come on". Was all I got, as a reply, as he walked off in front of me. We then, walked down an alley way and continued walking, before we walked into the church he let me go in first and he soon followed close behind. "Why 'ere?". I asked, as I looked around, no one else was here, just us. The church was dimly lit, the only light we had to see, was the flicker of the candles that were lit all around us. 

"You believe in God don't ya". Was all he said, as he walked in front of me, his shoes clicking off the stone floor. "Well...". I was about to voice my thoughts, but was interrupted. "Well, then you know it's here that people come to confess". He butted in, as the pair of us walked further down the isle. "After you". Tommy stopped and gestured for me to enter one of the many rows of pews and sit myself down. I didn't look up at him and I just did as I was told and sat down. Tommy then sat down beside me and cleared his throat. "Well here it is Roselyn, I'll confess". Tommy began to say, I just looked up at him confused, unsure of to where this conversation is heading.

"I need someone". He added. Need someone for what, I thought to myself, as my heart now began to pound in my chest, my body started to shake slightly, with anxiety and with how cold it was inside the church. "Kimber has an adviser by the name Roberts, he talks well, he keeps the accounts, he runs the legal side of the business". Tommy continued, as he didn't even look at me when he was talking, he just kept on staring straight ahead. "And you need a Roberts". I whispered aloud, as I swallowed hard once again. "Arthur tells me you have ideas". He asked me. "Well before ya start, I'm not an accountant or a lawyer". I told him bluntly. "No!". Was all he replied with. "No but you have something I need". He continued. I shook my head in confusion, as to what he meant. "Class". He added. I scoffed aloud. "Class, 'av' you seen me when ah eat". I chuckled, but got no repsonse from him.

"I need someone who looks right at the big meetings". He said, as once again he carried on looking straight ahead. "Epsom, Ascot...". He began to rhyme off big horse show meetings. "What about Durham?". I asked, as I slouched back and rested my head upon my hand, whilst my elbow was propped up on the back of the pew. "There's a race course up at Sedgefield, that's where all the posh Northeners hang out". I chuckled, but again no repsonse. I realised that up until now, I think he actually means business and I shouldn't really be joking around. "So, is this a job interview then or what?". I asked him.

"Arthur says your good with numbers". He told me. "Well I try but that's relative, as he's quite poor". I replied, as I sat up right in my seat again. Making Tommy scoff at my comment. "You keep the books in order". He said. "They were a bloody mess". I said. "But you also love to keep secrets". He said bluntly. "W-w-what!". I said shocked. "Why didn't you tell me that you had shot and killed a man in the alley way out the back of Watery Lane?". He asked. I stared at him, wide eyed, my breathing now becoming more irratic.  "Look, this is an interrogation, not an interview!". I said, as I sprung to my feet and was about to leave. "Sit down!". He ordered. I froze on the spot and slowly sat back down in my seat.

Tommy sighed, before beginning to speak. "Look Roselyn you washed up in a place you don't belong, for reasons you couldn't have any control over". He said. "My good fortune". He added. "And perhaps mine". I whispered softly. Tommy sighed once more. "You know that most of what I do is illegal?". He asked rhetorically. "I'm not blind, ya nar!". I said sharply. "You'd still be willing to work for me?". He asked. "W-w-hat are you offering me the job?!". I asked shocked. Tommy scoffed at my response. "Then I accept". I chuckled, as I once again, leaned back in the pew and placed my elbow up upon it and rested my head, upon the palm of my hand crossing my leg over the other.

"There's something else you should know". He warned. "Oh yeah, what's that?". I chuckled. "A very important detail about my reasons for employing you". He said. I said nothing, other than raise my eyebrows in shock. "What could that be?". I asked, cocking an eyebrow. I got no repsonse from him, accept for the fact that he leant forward slowly towards me. Stroked my face with the back of his hand, before cupping my cheek gently in the palm of his hand as he leant into me, the heat radiating from his body, was a comfort, given the fact of how freezing it was, within the church. Just then, his lips made contact with my face, right near the left corner of my mouth. I didn't know what to do, I sat there stund not being able to move. His lips were soft and supple, not rough and callous like most men, who have pecked me on the cheek before. He broke the kiss and continued to stroke my cheek, our eyes not breaking contact from each other.

"What was that for?". I asked slowly and in shock, breaking the the contact and trying to hide the fact that, I had butterflies in my stomach and I didn't want to act like a school girl in front of him, the fact that the most handsome man in Birmingham, has just kissed me upon the cheek. I placed my fingers delicately, upon where he had just placed his lips moments ago. Tommy looked disappointed at my words, as though he thought I should have known his reasons behind it. "Do you resign?". Was all he asked. "What!". I shrieked in shock and confusion at his words. He just looked at me stern like. "No". I smirked. "In fact my appetite for the work, has only just increased". I smirked, as I bit my lip to prevent me from laughing out loud in his face.

Tommy, then cleared his throat and sprung to his feet and began to walk out, leaving me sat there, giggly like a school child but also confused, as to what was going on. "Tomorrow, I'll show you around". Was all he said, as he began to leave. "What, so your not even going to walk me home then?". I shouted after him, but got no repsonse. He never replied, he just turned the corner and left. Leaving me sat there contemplating, should I just run away back to Durham, back where I was safe, where I wasn't a so called murderer and wrapped up in gangster business. I sighed heavily, before prizing myself up from off the pew and making my way out of the church. The only sound that could be heard, was the clicking off my heels from of the stone ground.

I wrapped my coat further around me, as I ventured out into the night air, lifting it up as far as I could under my chin, as I began to take the short journey home. Only then, to have the life frightened out of me, by someone standing around the corner of the church, the orange glow of the cigarette they had, within their mouth lit up their face, my heart began to pound, as flash backs started to flood my mind of that night back in Newcastle. I began to pant heavily and just as I was about to run, as fast as my legs could carry me home, the voice spoke putting me at ease. "It's alright, it's only me". Tommy said. I placed my hand up to my chest and sighed heavily once again. "Jesus Christ, are you trying to give me a fucking heart attack, fuck sake!". I bellowed, as I bent down and placed my hands on my knees.

"Carefull we're near a place of worship". Tommy sarcastically replied. "What the fuck are you doing, waiting here?". I asked, as I straightened myself up, to look at him more clearly. "Well you asked if I was going to walk you home so". Tommy said, as he put out his cigarette and scrunched it up with his foot, into the ground. I smirked. "I was being sarcastic". I replied. "And I'm not being diplomatic, now come on before you catch your death!". He said, as he held out his arm, for me to loop my around his. Our height difference making it a little uncomfortable, given that he is about at least five foot seven inches and I'm only four foot eleven inches. The walk home was spent mostly in silence, all that could be heard was our shoes clicking off the pavement, as we strolled down the streets heading straight for Watery Lane.

We walked all the way together, right up to my front door. Un-linking each other, as I fished for my key out of my handbag. I unlocked the front door, seeing darkness before me, the boys must be home yet from work. I sighed happily to myself knowing that, I had the place to myself, as I knew father would have known something was up, should I come into the house all quiet and sheepish. How could I tell him that, a member of a street razor gang, has just kissed me, be that it wasn't even a proper kiss, just a harmless peck upon the cheek, I might add, but you know what dad's are like, with their daughters, far to overprotective if you ask me.

I turned sharply, as Tommy was still stood there, his hands in his pockets and looking up the street. "Well, goodnight then Tommy". I whispered softly to him, as I ventured further inside, standing fully in the doorway now and glad to get out of the cold night air. Tommy said nothing at first, he just gave a sharp nod of his head. "See you at nine tomorrow sharpish!". Was all he said, as he took his hands out of his pockets and strode towards his own front door, that was just meters away from mine. I didn't reply, other than purse my lips together and smile and nod my head and just as I was about to fully shut the door. "ROSELYN!". Tommy shouted. I quickly whipped my head back around the door frame, trying my best to shield my body from the cold.

Tommy paused for a moment, as he opened his mouth to speak, but then closed it again, before clearing his throat and looking down at the ground again, before looking back up at me.  "Pleasant dreams". He said, in a low whispered tone, just enough for me to hear. My heart began to flutter, as I was taken back by his heartfelt words, again I said nothing other than smile and nod again, as I was just about to fully close the door once again. "And lock that bloody door!". I heard Tommy shout out again. I paused for a moment and chuckled to myself, sometimes I don't know whether he's concerned in a loving way, because he likes me, or is he just concerned because he is trying to act like a father to me.

After all, there is eight years difference between us, for he was born in eighteen ninety and I was born in eighteen-ninety-eight, so I suppose it could be that really. Or for the simple reason, he is a older brother to a younger sister, so perhaps he just sees me as a younger sibling. The door was now fully closed and I shrugged off my thoughts, doing as I was told and locking the door behind me. I walked over to the fire and lit it, I sighed in comfort, as I was glad to get some warmth. I then, walked over to where I kept my diary and sat down upon the desk and began scribbling away, but not for long, as a short sharp sweet sentence, was all that was required.

October 4th 1921.

He kissed me.

I closed the pages of the diary and sat at the desk, smiling to myself, as I delicately placed my fingers once more, upon the place his lips met with the flesh of my cheek. Suddenly, the front door swung open and bounding in comes the boys, making me jump in my seat. "Hello pet, whatcha doing sitting in the dark for?". Dad asked. "Probay cos, she divvn't want to look at her ugly reflection in the mirra". Jimmy joked. "Well at least I can look in the mirra without crackin' it!". I joked back. Jimmy chuckled and just plonked himself, on the sette in front of the warm fire. Dad on the other hand, tutted at us and shook his head, he knew we were joking of course, but sometimes I don't think he knows if we are genuine or not.

"How was work today flower?". Dad asked. "Fine". Was all I replied with. "How about use?". I asked. "Shit as per usual!". Jimmy slurred, as he was half asleep, half awake on the sette. Dad, just looked over in his direction and smirked and shook his head. "He's got a way with words that one". Dad whispered, as though not to wake him. "Aye I nar!". I whispered back, as I chuckled. There was a short silence between us for a moment. "Tea?". I said. "Oh yes pet, that would be lovely". Dad replied, as he sat on the stairs and took of his work boots, them making a loud clunk on the floor. "I'll have five sugars in mine please!'. Jimmy slurred.

"Five!". I said shocked. "Aye, I want to keep myself awake ya nar, first day off I've had since starting at that shite hole and when I'm at work, am always gannin to bed early, so why should I dee it, when I'm not at work the morn!". Jimmy replied, as he somehow came back to life from falling in and out of a sleep like state. "And its cos he's going to meet a girl". Dad whispered over to me. I just finished making the three teas, when I dropped the tea spoon on the kitchen bench in shock. I then picked up Jimmy's cup of tea and like a little school girl, I hurried over to him,to find out more about this so called girl he was going to meet. "Ooooooo, a girl, what's her name and does she know what's she letting herself in for?". I teased, as I handed him his cup of tea.

Jimmy got up from his lying position and gladly took the tea from me, taking a sip and placing it down on the coffee table in front of the fire place. "Her names Anna if you most know". He replied. "Is there short for Annabelle?". Dad smirked. "Nah just Anna". Jimmy replied. "What does she look like?". I asked. "Prettier than you for a start!". Jimmy laughed. "Well, one charismatic about her must be that, she must be blind then, to be going out with someone like you!". I snapped back. "Can you two not have a sival conversation, for once in your lives". Dad butted in. "Nah". We both said in unison. Dad knew we didn't mean it deep down, for yes we are brother and sister and we may fight and say horrible things to each other, but if anyone hurt either of us, we would always be there to protect one another.

"So come on then what does she look like?". I asked, as I nudged him in the shoulder. "She's about average height, blonde hair, blue eyes, gorgeous smile". Jimmy started to trail off. "Where did you two meet?". I asked again. "At work didn't you son, Anna works in the doctors office at the pit, she's a nurse". Dad interrupted. "A nurse wow, maybe she can help you find that brain of yours Jim!". I giggled. "Least I've got someone on the go, who've you got a part from a few punters, playing touchy feely, everytime you go too wipe down a table or pick up an empty glass!". Jimmy snapped slightly. "Jimmy that's enough or all hit ya owa the heed with this cup in a minute!". Dad shouted at him. "Say sorry to ya sister now!". He continued. Jimmy sighed heavily. "Sorry Rosie, you know I didn't mean it and besides, if I did see anyone touch you, they'll be six foot under before they could even blink". Jimmy replied. I smiled and nodded my head in a away to say I accept your apology, even though his comment did sting a little.

"Alreet, Jack Dempsey calm doon". Dad joked, before finishing the last swig of his tea and heading to the kitchen to put his cup in the sink. "I'm off to bed, make sure you divvn't kill each other while I'm asleep alreet". Dad said to us both, as he started to walk up the stairs. "Are ya not off tomorra anarl Dad?". I asked. "Aye I flower, gannin probably spend most of it in the pub". Dad chuckled. "Why not, you deserve it". I replied with, as I pursed my lips together and he did the same, before making his way to bed. "Neet flower!". Dad said. "Night". I replied. "Neet Dempsey!". Dad called out again. "Ha, ha, very funny, neet dar!". Jimmy shouted up, as he lay back on the sofa and got comfortable again, with a book.

I too followed dad and I put my cup into the sink and made my way to bed also, as I knew I had to be up early in the morning to see him again. "Neet Jimmy". I called down, as I was now on the landing. "Neet rat bag!". He shouted up. I shook my head and chuckled, before closing my bedroom door and got ready for bed. Ready to see what awaited me tomorrow, but if it meant that I could see him again, then so be it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

825K 22.2K 53
In which Thomas Shelby draws up an alliance between his family and that of his rival, not knowing that it's to have far more complications than he th...
233K 5.1K 40
❆ ❆ ❆ 𝕀 𝔽𝔼𝔼𝕃 𝕄𝕆ℝ𝔼 𝔽ℝ𝔼𝔼 𝕋ℍ𝔸ℕ 𝕀 ℍ𝔸𝕍𝔼 𝕀ℕ 𝕐𝔼𝔸ℝ𝕊 𝕊𝕀𝕏 𝔽𝔼𝔼𝕋 𝕀ℕ 𝕋ℍ𝔼 𝔾ℝ𝕆𝕌ℕ𝔻 ❆ ❆ ❆ "𝕐𝕠𝕦 𝕝𝕖𝕗𝕥 𝕗𝕠𝕣 �...
1.1M 29K 93
"Realising how fucking beautiful you are suddenly sobered me up" Anna Smith, the girl who was brought up in a tiny village, sheltered naively from al...
2M 47.1K 51
Because every girl needs their own prince charming, but some girls need their own birmingham gangster. •BOOK ONE COMPLETED• •SEASON ONE- SEASON TWO...