Chasing Sapphire

By mahumwrites

"Sapphire!" the voice whispered in my ears. Same dream, same voice, same pair of piercing blue eyes glaring i... More

PROLOGUE
1. DREAM
2. FIGHT
3. FIRE
4. HOMETOWN
5. CHILDHOOD
6. FUNERAL
7. WOLF
8. STRANGERS
9. BOOKS
10. DARK
11. STUCK
12. NIGHTMARES
13. ESCAPE?
14. SHIFT
15. PROPHECY
16. DINNER
17. CRUSH
18. SPECIAL
19. LIBRARY
20. FIRE
22. SCARED
23. FOLLOWER
24. INTRUDER
25. BETRAYAL
26. DARKNESS
27. HELPER
28. MESS
29. CONNECTION

21. HALF-NAKED

297 33 7
By mahumwrites

SAPPHIRE

"This is your room," Connor said as he led me to a room on the second floor. "There is an attached bathroom and a small walk-in closet. Hope you'll be comfortable here."

He said, walking behind me into the room. I looked around and observed the room in silence. There wasn't much furniture except a bed, a chair and a dressing table. The walls of the room were painted in dark blue color and to my relaxation, there wasn't any window.

"Thank you, again." I said honestly because he was doing so much for me. He had offered us to live here with him while our house get repaired.

"The pleasure is all mine, again." he shrugged. The ceiling of the room was low so his head was almost reaching it. The room filled soon with his particular scent and I wondered what type of cologne he used.

Being with him in a single room made me jittery, despite his calmimg persona ironically. I felt like a school girl who had crush on her classmate and being near him made her flustered. A part of me felt guilty because it hasn't been so long since Roman died but the other part of me reminded me about his cheating. Dead or not, he didn't deserve me.

"Make yourself comfortable." Connor said and turned around to leave while I drooled on his rolled sleeves and muscular calves.

After he closed the door behind him, I went into the bathroom to take a shower and change into my pyjamas. After taking a shower, I wrapped a towel around myself and tiptoed towards the room to find something to wear among the clothes that were safe during the fire. My hair was pulled up in a loose bun, with the trails of moisture on my back chilling me in the cold weather.

The minute I reached my luggage, the door to my room opened and I froze in my position. It was Connor, with a cup of something hot in one hand and some clothes in the other. His eyes widened when he found me half-naked in there.

"S... Sorry." he apologised and looked away, but not before giving a brief glance to my legs. "I came to give you the coffee and some warm clothes."

"It's... It's okay." I whispered while my knees buckled under my weight.

"I... Um... I should leave." he said and placed the cup and clothes on the dresser, without moving his eyes towards me.

"Y... Yes." I mumbled.

Once he left, I sat down on the bed and took some deep breaths. My cheeks felt warmer and I fought the urge to slap my forehead. Who walks around in towel in someone's house?

°°°°°

The next morning, after changing into black tights and white cashmere sweater, I made my way downstairs. Knowing Bella, she would still be asleep but there were voices coming from the kitchen.

Rubbing my palms together to decrease the cold, I entered the kitchen and found Connor making breakfast there.

"How was your sleep?" he asked.

"Better." I said and stepped closer to the stove. "What are you making?"

"Mushroom Omelet with toast." he replied without looking at me.

"Do you need my help?" I asked.

"You can make coffee." he said.

Nodding, I prepared coffee while he placed Omelet with some toast in two plates. We both sat down on the dining table and delicious aroma of eggs filled my nostrils.

"So about last night. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have barged in here." he said as he cut his toast with the knife.

"No, it's your house. I shouldn't have walked around half-naked." I blushed as I said it out loud.

"No, you can walk around in towel." he said and then took a pause. "I mean, if you want to. Not that I want you to... Um... Fuck. Sorry."

I smiled sheepishly while enjoying his embarrassment. To save him from misery, I changed the topic of our conversation. "Bella will be awake soon."

"She is already awake." he told me. "She just ate a bowl of cereal and said she wanted to take a small walk."

"Oh, I should check her then." I said and then excused myself to see how her injuries were.

I made my way out of the door and my eyebrows furrowed in confusion when I found her kneeled beside the front wall of Connor's house.

"What are you doing?" I asked on reaching her. She was whispering something under her breath, probably doing some kind of spell. Instead of replying to me, she kept her focus on whatever she was doing so I waited until she was done with it.

"Protecting this house from werewolves so that what happened to my house won't happen again." she said once she was done with it.

"Oh." I whispered.

"Do you think it was Atticus West who started the fire?" I asked as we both started walking on the street. Cold wind was blowing, ruffling our hair into a mess.

"Yes. Or maybe it was some other werewolf. Who knows how many werewolves are chasing after you." she answered with a shrug.

I shivered as I realised how much danger I was in. "Will they ever stop?" I said in a frustrated voice.

"No, not until you're dead." she said and then looked at me. Her eyes were laced with pity for me.

I fought the urge to cry on hearing this. So many people wanted me dead and that thought alone was enough to make me hate my life. Why me? Why do I have to be the chosen one? Who do I have to sacrifice my life to kill them? Why was my blood so cursed?

°°°°°

I spent the day doing my work after Bella and Connor both left the house for their respective reasons. My thoughts were taking a depressive turn so I tried my best to keep myself busy. Thankfully, all my important things were in my bag that I had taken with me to the library so nothing was harmed, except some clothes. Bella said she would go to shopping with me tonight so that we could buy some new clothes for us.

When the doorbell finally rang at 6, I made my way to the door. Hoping to find Bella, I opened it but my eyes bulged out of my sockets when I found Atticus West standing there. He had his famous blank look on his face, while his tall built towered over me. He was wearing all black, which made him look more evil than he already was, if that was even possible.

God, I hate this man.

"What are you doing here?" I asked in an unwelcoming voice.

"I heard about the fire." he said and decided to step in but couldn't. Something was blocking him, as if a physical barrier.

I smirked as I remembered Bella's spell. "Sorry, this house is protected against all evil." I replied as I crossed my arms in front of my chest.

His eyes pierced into mine in the most bone-chilling way as he said through clenched teeth, "That girl couldn't even save herself. How would she save you?"

"Do me a favour and leave." I said nonchalantly that seemed to anger him more.

"Sooner or later, you'll have to go with me Sapphire Carson." His voice was filled with a promise. "Nobody else can protect you."

"Is this a threat?" My voice was weaker than before.

"No." he replied with a straight voice. "And well, whoever caused the fire must be a smart person. That girl Bella is better off dead."

This filled me with rage and I balled my fists to stop myself from punching him. "Fuck you." I cursed out loud.

The gleam in his eyes returned at this as he replied, "Such words don't belong to an innocent mouth like yours." My cheeks turned red in anger and embarassment and I contemplated about shutting the door on his face.

"What's going on here?" It was Connor who was walking towards us. He must have returned from work. "Mr. West, I think you should leave." he said when he noticed the expression of anger and fear on my face.

Atticus' blue eyes bored into Connor's green ones. Connor didn't know what he was up against. For him, Mr. West was a rich jerk which he was, but there was much more about him that he didn't know. Atticus could kill Connor in an instant without getting a crease on his suit.

"Sapphire, tell Mr. Hunt that he shouldn't come between us. The result could be disastrous." Atticus said in a dangerous voice without looking at me. Conner stiffened behind him and I eyed him with caution.

After his car finally left, I shrunk inside the house and attempted to calm my ragged breathing. Connor passed me a sympathetic look and we both walked inside towards the living room. 

______________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

653K 12.7K 30
"You are mine, you understand? Mine and no one else's. Shall I remind you? ," he growled into my ear. By then, he had my back pressed up against t...
536K 17.7K 60
A horse ranch. That's where I lived at least. I know, not very exciting to those of you who don't care for this life or think it's all about work. Bu...
78 13 10
Born between two worlds, despised by those who should love her. Being labeled as "defective", "incomplete", "impure". Suffering repeated and constant...
Mistaken By Amanda and Amy

Mystery / Thriller

3.9K 358 33
I smile as I look up at the stars, that are twinkling brightly. They're so beautiful. I can't wait for my walk in the park. I start to feel dizzy and...