The War Bride

By Kim_Knights

Two neighboring clans. A raging war. Amidst the threat of defeat, the matriarch proposes a truce by marrying... More

1 | Onto the Battlefield
2 | The Marriage Truce
3 | The Bride
4 | An Inauspicious Marriage
5 | The War Groom
6 | The Lord
7 | Burying the Dead
8 | A Celebratory Banquet
9 | A Hostage Princess
10 | Ambush
11 | Friend or Foe
12 | Lies and Loyalty
13 | False Happiness
14 | Enemies Everywhere
15 | A Close Watch
16 | Admiration
17 | In the Library
18 | The Lord's Family
19 | A Woman's Hatred
Exclusive Chapter | Dai Yichen's Story (Part 1)
Exclusive Chapter | Dai Yichen's Story (Part 2)
20 | Vengeance
21 | Love Within Lies
22 | A Spark
23 | The Orphan Village
Exclusive Chapter | Dai Yichen's Story (Part 3)
25 | A Reminder
26 | The Yue Clan
27 | The Birthday Banquet
28 | Tyrants
29 | The Blind Priestess
30 | A Change of Heart
31 | Beneath the Masks
32 | Determination
33 | The Hunt
34 | Nightfall Isles
35 | The Silent Wraith

24 | Starlight

1.8K 166 48
By Kim_Knights

Having dinner under the blanket of stars, together with the villagers and children, was an extraordinary experience. Even though Luwen was a complete stranger to them, they welcomed her with open arms and she fitted in with them immediately.

No one asked about her past. All they asked was her name and involved her in their activities. They were even concerned if she had enough food on her plate.

A warm feeling bloomed in her chest.

It felt like she was back in her childhood home, where she was safe and comfortable. Happy.

After their meal had ended, men were drinking alcohol, women were singing and dancing around the blazing fire pit. Children were huddling in little groups, laughing and playing with one another with colorful pinwheels and shuttlecocks.

Dai Yichen sat next to Luwen, casually holding a brown flask in his hand. While sitting on the bamboo mats, they brushed their arms against each other whenever one of them moved.

When his gaze interlocked with hers, he held out the flask. "Do you want some?"

She took the offer and threw her head back, taking a huge mouthful. Sweet rice wine flowed down her throat, sending a wave of mellow tranquility through her body.

Wiping her mouth with the back of her sleeve, she handed the flask back to him, noticing he was still watching her. He took it and had another swig of the rice wine. Watching him, a rush of heat rushed to her cheeks when she realized what had just happened; he had placed his lips on the same spot as hers when she drank it merely a few seconds ago.

She was the only one acting flustered while he remained unperturbed.

Silly her.

It wasn't a big deal, not to him. Not to her.

Stay calm.

Pushing those thoughts aside, Luwen blurted out suddenly. "Did you bring me on this trip because you believe I needed some time away from...everything that has happened?"

He lifted his shoulders into a slight shrug. "You look like you needed it."

Luwen smiled, unable to help it. "Yes, I did. You're a busy man, and I appreciate your effort and taking the time to spend it with me." She swept her hand at the scene before them, hearing the vibrant chattering and laughter singing in her eyes. "I never imagined I would sit, dine and have fun with others."

He agreed with her. "They treated me the same manner as they treated you on my first day in this village—warm and welcoming. It seems like everyone here has a past, but they're all living here hoping to create a better future for themselves. No one questions a person's past unless it's willingly shared," he said. "They make me want to protect the lives in this village."

"And I think you're doing well."

Dai Yichen watched her for a moment, his dark eyes reflecting the glow from the fire pit. There was surprise, warmth and something else in his gaze which she couldn't quite figure out.

Suddenly, he stood up, dusted dirt off his pants, and extended a hand to her. "There's something I wish to show you."

She took his hand, and they disappeared into the night. They went back to their carriage first, grabbing the lantern she had left behind. Later, they went through trees behind the village and took the path up to the mountain. There was a small opening to a cave, partially covered with luxuriant ferns.

Darkness loomed ahead, but Dai Yichen gave a flick of his fingers and illuminated the pathway for them with a line of little fireballs. "We must navigate the rocks and limestone passages to reach the underground stream," he said. "This might get a little tiring, but I assure you what awaits us at the end is worthy of our efforts."

Luwen peered into the passage, sharing his excitement. She gave his hand a squeeze without thinking. "I'll take your words for it. Let's go."

Clambering across rocks, she realized he held her hand without letting go, ever since they left the fire pit. It felt almost natural and comforting to hold his hand, to feel his skin on hers.

When they reached the underground stream, he released her hand and boarded the small boat waiting there. She mourned the loss of warmth from his hand, but soon followed him onto the boat and sat at the front. He picked up the paddle, eyes staring ahead before landing on her.

"Are you ready?"

She gave a nod, and he began paddling. They passed through sculpted rocks above their heads before they encountered an underground waterfall within the giant cave.

"I'm going to get rid of the light now," he informed her, his quiet voice echoing off the walls. "You can keep the lantern close to you."

"My lord, will we be able to get out of this cave later?"

He saw how she clutched the sides of the boat nervously. "I'm right with you," he assured her gently. "It's safe. My brother and I came here a few times. And trust me, you won't want to miss this sight."

He waited until she was ready before he extinguished the fireballs he had conjured and the boat moved once again.

Deep within the cave and beyond the roar of the water, Luwen found herself awestruck by a phenomenal sight.

She finally understood why he brought her here. They seemed to step into a different realm; a place inhabited by hundreds of blue glow worms on the ceiling. The glittering display reminded her of the stars in the night sky. Reminded her of those happy memories when her parents used to tell her bedtime stories before she fell asleep on the hammock they had built for her in their small yard.

Taking a long look at the lord, Luwen felt genuinely happy for the first time in a long time. No one had ever put in this much effort to surprise her and make her happy. To make her feel as if she was someone important.

Was this moment real? Or was this a dream?

If this was a dream, she wished it was one she never needed to wake up from.

***

"What's your family like?"

While returning to the village, Luwen blurted out the question. Dai Yichen knew about the poor relationship the matriarch had shared with her daughter, but Luwen realized she had little knowledge about his relationship with his family members, except for his brother.

"I'm close to my mother," he said, "but not with my father. He was always cold towards me when he was alive. He always had me watched, fearing my existence might hinder my brother's succession. When my ability manifested at the age of seven, he often tested my strength, just to see how far I could get. I couldn't control them when I was young, and often had my hands burned."

"That's terrible! That's–" Horrified, Luwen grabbed his hands and inspected them for burn scars, only to find none. "–but you've...recovered well?"

He let out a soft chuckle at her reaction. "The healers did their job well, and my brother gave me the best medicinal salve for burns. There were no scars left behind."

However, despite his assurance, Luwen remained upset. "They healed your physical wounds, but not the unseen ones."

Dai Yichen blinked once, stunned by her words, before his expression softened into a look of appreciation. "It's all in the past. With him gone, my life has gotten better."

She bit her bottom lip, feeling his unspoken sadness. His childhood was miserable, but she was glad he had pulled through and grown into a powerful man. "I heard your father passed away from an illness."

"He overdosed on pills—the kind that enhances one's powers but depletes a life force quickly. He felt dissatisfied with his own strength and was impatient. His greed for power killed him."

The man, similar to the matriarch, seemed deranged. "If he hated you using your powers, why not forbid you from using them?"

"Because containing them within me might cause me to combust to my death," Dai Yichen explained. "As lord of the clan, how would others think of him if he had allowed one of his sons to die under his care? His reputation meant more to him than us. He never had me properly trained, but he kept me under his surveillance the entire time."

Luwen threw up her hands, angered because of the unfair treatment he had received from his father. "With a father like him, it's fortunate you and your brother never learned his bad ways."

"That's true," he agreed. "Perhaps, it's just like what Brother said—old age has affected his eyesight and mind."

Her jaw dropped at the insult, unable to imagine his older brother—the man rumored to be dignified and amiable—criticizing his own father for his rancid behavior.

"Your brother sounds amazing. How did you meet him?"

Talking about Dai Huchen seemed to make Dai Yichen's face glow with affection. "He climbed into my room through my window. Told me he had been trying for years. Once he got taller and quicker on his feet, he could finally sneak past his servants and the guards watching my door."

Unable to hold back, Luwen broke into fits of laughter. Even Dai Yichen was smiling at her reaction. "And he was awfully clingy. He kept coming to me even after I told him to leave several times. He taught me everything I needed to know; read, write and swordsmanship. He even taught me how to harness my powers. After I succeeded, we lied to my father, and he never found out."

She grinned at him, happy for his achievements, but her smile soon faded when she noticed the flower ring on his finger. Just like hers.

Fear snaked up on her, crawling through the cracks in her armor.

They had grown closer than before, close enough to be stepping across a boundary that they both shouldn't be. She couldn't get used to this comfortable feeling. Shouldn't.

Otherwise, she feared she might soon completely lose sight of her aim here.

Or she may already have.

When he took a step towards her, closing the distance between them, she hurriedly turned and walked away.

"It's late, my lord. We should return to the village."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 103 11
Urban Fantasy - Romantic Fantasy - Dark Fantasy - Paranormal Rory tells herself it's a trick of the light. That she can't actually see the spirits o...
7.9M 461K 48
Wang Li Xun, the Crown Prince, goes out hunting for the Celestial Flower to save his mother from a terminal illness. When he nearly dies from the att...
436K 28.6K 39
Highest rating: #19 in fantasy! Edlyn has never fit in. With her unusual white hair and silver eyes, she sticks out from her village of brown. To mak...
11.4M 152K 10
*completed NOW A PUBLISHED NOVEL!* An ancient Cursed bloodline, a world-crossed romance, tyrant kings, a princess with dragon wings, a forbidden love...