Unforeseen change (CaitBea)

By caffeine_and_poetry

In this world where the only constant thing is change, are they ready to unfold what life has in store for th... More

Author's essential notes
Prologue
[2] Going for the gold, the battle for championship!
[3] From rivals, to teammates!
[4] Do you still love him?
[5] What if?
[6] I'm scared!
[7] I'd always protect you
[8] Huwag malito!
[9] I used to hate her
[10] Paano?
[11] Make a move
I do love her

[1] Rivals (The Championship)

494 17 11
By caffeine_and_poetry

Caitlin

Couple of days have passed and it's our game day today. As we made our way to the court, I saw the Ateneo team getting ready for warm up. I unintentionally darted my gaze do'n sa dalawang nagkukulitan sa team nila. If I am not mistaken, sila yung number 3 and 14 na team nila. I wasn't able to look away when the taller girl suddenly looked at me.

I suddenly felt like time stopped for a moment when our eyes met.

"Cait, warm up na!" Carla calls as she approached me. Buti na lang.

"A-akala k-ko si ate Christine partner mo?" I asked falteringly. I shook my head. "Never mind. Sige tara na, ate." I tell her and we proceed with our warm up exercises and drills.

As as the game started. I saw her maangas side. Maybe she's being carried away lang kasi intense 'yong game. Halos magkalapit lang ang score.

But at the end, they won the game. It's a five setter game. Nagpang-abot kami kanina sa net. She blocked me. Medyo nainis ako. I felt so disgusted. Swagger pa 'tong isang to! Kasi after n'ya akong makill-block, sumigaw pa siya. Siguro nadala lang talaga siya but she doesn't have to be like that!

No'ng magkamayan na (courtesy handshake), I don't know what and how to react and feel so I hastily pulled my hands away from the shake hands.

"Nice game!" She said and smiled at me and so I did.

"Congrats! Bawi kami sa sunod." I replied and offered my hand to her teammate next to her for a shake hands.

And I meant it. I'll make sure na makakabawi din kami from this loss. I've always been this low-key competitive. And I am proud of it.

Natalo man kami but it wasn't a bad game sabi nga ni ate Si. Babawi kami. And most especially, I won't let myself lose over that maangas face de Leon, jersey number 14.

Nakaabot kami sa semis. Unfortunately, we lost our chance to play for the championship. It was AdMU and DLSU who made it to the finals.

Months have passed and it's end of the school year. Finally...

I went back to my parents' house in Cavite. One week lang din ako dito dahil may training parin kami for the next season. Last season wasn't bad kase kahit paano nakaabot kami sa final four.

For one week of staying here, parang namiss ko ang Metro Manila all of a sudden. 'yong traffic, and yung.... a-ano, yung ingay and the busy streets. By the way, did I mention na may suitor na ko? Si Krisroy. Sa ilang buwan niyang mat'yagang panliligaw sa 'kin, he became close to my parents already and with some of my friends too. Everything went well naman. He always calls me when he says he will exactly and constantly checks on me, how my days went and so on. And I am already planning to gave him my answer when I get back.

( One week had passed and Cait's already back to Manila... )

As soon as I came back to Manila, During one of our dates, I gave kr my answer. And yes, we're now official. Madalas niya 'kong hatid sundo from school to my condo. Madalas n'ya rin akong inaantay after ng training and gano'n din ako. Sometimes, 'pag sobrang pagod na sa training and school nauuna na akong umuwi sa kanya or minsan pinapauna ko na din s'ya 'pag ako naman ang late nakakauwi. We understand each other dahil pareho kaming student-athlete.

UAAP season 80 came, wala na si ate EJ and she decided to take a break muna from volleyball. Ang pumalit na nga sa kanya as team captain ay si ate Si. Good thing at pumasok naman sa team namin si ate Shannen at nakapaglaro na ulit si ate Alyssa Teope.

As usual, pinahirapan kami ng Ateneo. Nakapasok ulit kami sa final four. Sadly, kinapos pa rin kami para makaabot sa finals/championship. And this season, DLSU ulit ang nagchampion.

During our training for upcoming next season 81.

"Girls! Bawi tayo girls ha? Sana this time sa atin naman pumanig ang upcoming season. Sana Mmakapagchampion naman tayo" - Ate Si said with full of determination to win. And she always does naman.

"Yes captain!" All of us said except ate Si.

We know how important the upcoming season for ate Si is since it will be her last playing year in UAAP for our school, UST.

I really learned a lot from ate Si since I was her beach volleyball partner last time. I saw how passionate and dedicated she is sa sports na ito. 

"Sana tayo magchampion this season. Para kay ate Si and kay Coach" Alina said.

"I'm so sorry guys ha. I know nagkukulang ako." MaFe said glumly blaming herself. As a play-maker and setter, nakapahirap and laki ng responsibilitysa kanila.

"No. We know you're doing your very best. Hindi lang naman setter ng nasa loob ng court, di ba?" - Milena trying to cheer MaFe up.

"Tama! Pagpanalo tayo, tayong lahat may gawa no'n. Kung talo tayo, lahat tayo have something to improve on for the next game. And ang galing n'yo kaya ni Alina magset." I said knowing for a fact that everyone of us are doing our best.

Kampante din kami kasi ate Ej's younger sister, Eya is finally here joining our team. For sure, she'll be the rookie of the year. Napakagaling niya.

Fast forward...

Season 81 came...

We made it to the Finals/championship round. All of us are so happy kasi finally we now have a chance to get that championship. Grabe ang pinakita ng buong team especially, ate Si and Eya na naging rookie of the year. Ang aming mantra and sigaw ng fans namin, "Kami naman!" "Ibalik ang korona sa España!". And sana nga, kami naman this time!

It is us, UST Golden Tigresses against the Ateneo Lady Blue Eagles.

Bea

It was another "almost" season for us. Kinapos ang team this season 80 but we know that we did our best. And we really wanna make bawi this upcoming season 81. This will be the most important season for me 'coz this will be my last playing year.

As a team captain, I need to boost the confidence of my teammates. And I know this time, we will get that championship.

"Ate Bei, I know this will be your last playing year. Same goes with ate Kim and ate Mads. So, asahan mo that we will do our best para this time, magchampion tayo" Deanna assured me.

"Thanks, Deans!" I replied and smiled.

"Yes team, please. Gusto ko namang grumaduate ng champion oh!" Mads joked. Well, true enough 'cause even me gusto ko din grumaduate ng champion.

"Same here, guys!" Kim said and threw the volleyball to the other side of the gym.

"Yes! For Bea, ate Mads and ate Kim! Let's go ALE!" Pongs shouted.

And all of us shouted "One Big Fight!"

Then, we continued with our training.

I am exhaustingly swamped lately since am I also a graduating student and upcoming season is fast approaching.

But I need to focus if I want to get that championship and to graduate.

And another thing is, naging mas kilala na ako ngayon since I am now the team captain of Ateneo. Aside from that, I am being linked to Thirdy, one of our school's basketball players. We are very good friends, I should say. I admit, he courted me thrice already1 but I only see him as a good guy friend. He is quite known since his brother once also became part of the basketball team and many fans adore him. Another thing is, many of the fans misunderstood my closeness with Jho. They're shipping us. They say, we're so nakakakilig daw. But we are really just friends. A super close one. That's all there is to it. And we're better off this way.

Season 81 came...

Nang makaharap namin ang UST, I was so glad to see her again. That morena girl with a charming whisker dimples in jersey number 4. We won the games against them. And no'ng magkamayan na, I know she's avoiding me for a reason that I don't know. Maybe she's mad or something. Even during the game and nagkatinginan kami, she immediately breaks off from the eye contact and she doesn't even smile at all.

Hindi ko na lang pinansin. But I hurts me na iniwasan niya ako now, unlike before na kahit paano ngumingiti siya sakin and we had small talks.

And finally championship came. It is Our team against UST. Excited ako 'coz I know I'll be able to see her again. Kahit iwas siya, I know. I won't let this affect our game. We are determined to win this championship. And this time, as what our hearts and the entire AdMU fans, "Kami ulit!" and we will go for that "One Big Fight!"

Caitlin

First game for championship round against AdMU.

First set palang lumalamang na kami. It was ate Si and Eya doing most of the damage against AdMU. Sobrang determinado kaming manalo.

Score board. (UST) 7-3 (AdMU)

Lamang kami. Eya hit 2 consecutive service aces so 9-3 was the score. The fans were very ecstatic about it. Cheering loudly for us. Nasa amin na ang momentum. Not until ate Si was blocked and Maddie got a service ace and that de Leon checked ate Si's attack. 9-6 was the score. Gumagana ang blocking ng AdMU kay ate Si buti dalawang magkasunod siyang nakascore ulit so 11-6 was the score before Ateneo called for a time-out. Another service ace by Ysabel at ate Si was on fire. As her beach volley partner, I know ate Sisi very well. Hindi sya papayag basta-basta matalo lang ng hindi lumalaban. We have already reached this far. Nasa championship na kami. We will not waste this opportunity. Not this season.

I also did a cross court attack. Ang score was 15-7 but outside ang naging service sa part namin so 15-8 na. Ate Si was on fire. Nakascore ng AdMUpero agad ko ding binawi. Nakabawi din agad ang opposing team but nagout service nila so 18-10 na ang score. Kami ang magserve and Alina got a service ace! 19-10.was the score. Ateneo called for another time out. Nakakahabol na ang AdMU points courtesy by Maddie, Ponggay and Jules. Samonte. So 20-13 na ang score. Coach Kung Fu called for a time out. Nagkaroon kami ng mga service errors and Ateneo we're very pesky and determined na makahabol. The set 1 ended 25-17. Thanks to ate Sisi's consecutive scores nakuha namin ang set 1.

Set 2 started and it's still in favor of us. 5-0 lamang kami when Ateneo called for a time out. Before another time out. 8-2 na ang score and last score was courtesy of Alina's service ace. Sa kill block ni Maddie and magkasunod na points ni Kat Tolentino makabawi ang AdMU. But ate Sisi's determination as well as our whole team's fighting spirit pushing through, nakakabawi din kami agad. 13-6 na ang score and Ateneo called for time out. Nakascore ako ng dalawang magkasunod and nakascore din ang kabila so 15-7 na ang score. But Ateneo starts to recover and nakakahabol na sila with the help of Kat Tolentino and her teammate, Samonte. 18-13 was the score. Coach Kung Fu called for a time out.

Bea

UST continues to score until mag end ang Set 2 with the score 25-16. They are just one set away to winning this game. But I know our team's slowly getting there. I just continue encouraging them and though coach O is very frustrated at this point. But I believe in my teammates and with what we can do.

On the other hand, I am very proud of her (Refers to Caitlin). She contributed a lot for this set alone and on the previous sets.

But we need to win this. And this is what I don't want to happen ang maapektuhan ang laro ko.

"Guys, the game's not yet over. We've always been 2 sets down pero nakakabawi tayo. So be positive lang. Kaya pa 'to!" I told to my teammates, hoping that they won't be discouraged 'coz we are at the verge of losing this match.

Caitlin

We are now at the third and hopefully the last set. Mapanalo lang namin 'tong set na ito and sa 'min na itong game na ito.

But Ateneo's blocking starts to heat up. Nga naman. They are not the number one blocking team for nothing. All 6 ang score, Alina set the ball for me but, that de Leon blocked me out! Nakakainis! Arrrrgh!

Nang nasa amin na ang bola after magserve ng Ateneo, Sinet ni Alina kay ate Si ang bola but she was blocked. Na-digged naman ang bola and sinet sa 'kin ni Alina 'yung bola but it was outside as per the  referee. But I feel like may block touch. Si de Leon and Samonte 'yung nasa harap ng net and tumalon to block me. I saw the ball slightly touched that Samonte's finger. We asked for a check ball pero in-overruled lang ng ref. and napunta ang score sa kabila. 

Arrgggh! Nasisira na laro ko.

After that naka-score kami ng dalawang magkasunod. Alina sets the ball for me and pinalo ko but outside. Nasira na talaga laro ko! This can't be!

Naka-score si Alina thanks to her 1-2 play. Ako ang magserve and got it! Nakaserve ace ako! Sobrang nanggigigil ako eh! 12-9 was the score in favor of our team. Ateneo called for a time out.

Eya wa blocked so 12-10 na ang score.

Nakakahabol na Ateneo. 18-16 ang score. Coach Kung Fu called for a time out.

Ate Si scored. 19-16. Nasa harap ako and si Kecelyn. I was to block that de Leon's quick attack but it was too late. 19-17 ang score. Kainis! Ateneo committed a service error. 20-17 ang score. Ako na ang magserve but I was really pissed off with that maangas de Leon so nagservice error din ako tuloy. 20-18 ang score.

Coach Kung Fu called for substitution and pinagpahinga muna ako. Nahahalata na siguro niya na sira na ang laro ko. Nakahabol na ang Ateneo and 21-20 na ang score. But sunod-sunod din naka-score si ate Sisi, Eya and Kecelyn.

Kagaya ng sinabi namin, babawi kami.

We won this match! 25-20.was the score. I should be happy but thinking na muntik na kaming matalo because of me, I can't help but to feel bad.

Nang magkakamayan na, I tried to avoid Bea. Ni hindi ko siya tinitignan kahit nararamdaman kong she's staring at me.

Nang makabalik na sa side nila ang Ateneo at pabalik na sila ng dug out nang nakita ko naman na sinalubong siya ng guy na pinakita sa screen kanina and niyakap siya. Maybe comforting her dahil natalo sila. I suppose he's her boyfriend.

Nag nasa dug out na kami, Alina and Ysabel came to me and asked me.

"Cait, bakit parang malungkot ka? Panalo kaya tayo oh!" - Alina

"Oo nga Cait. First time nating manalo against Ateneo" says Ysabel na proud na proud. Of course nakakaproud naman nanalo kami eh.

"Wala. Naiinis lang ako kasi dahil sakin muntik na tayong matalo kaya nga nilabas ako ni coach kanina. Sorry talaga" I answered with a sad and apologetic tone.

"Nako Cait. Tigil mo na 'yan. Laki kaya naitulong mo lalo nung first and second set". Says ate Si.

Haaaaay. Sana nga magtuloy-tuloy panalo namin. .

Hi, everyone! Kamusta kayo? Does anybody still reading this? Sorry if it took me a very long time to update. Hopefully magtuloy-tuloy na makapag-update though, I've been so busy. I am actually I'm a bit contemplating whether itutuloy ko pa itong book or not kasi hindi rin ako gaano nakakapag-update.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.7K 153 12
Thank you so much for 1k reads!!! Angela had moved to a secluded part of town, she knew no one, but a masked man shows up, and her life completely c...
79.5K 5K 23
Modern fantasy AU Monsters were only part of story books and the stuff of fantastical dreams, at least until it was proven they weren't. When they ma...
106 0 10
Two kids from the United States start a new life in Japan with their guardian. There, they meet two people who will change their lives forever. How w...
36.5K 508 57
Grayson is headed into the biggest season of his career. Cait is aiming for a return to Olympic glory. Can they reach their goals without losing ea...