Gate: Wastelands

Af Shadow_trooper

A fallout x Gate Story Mere

New World (Fixed/Extended)
The Nipton Invasion (Fixed/Expanded)
Contact (fixed/Extended)
Primm (Improved/Extended)
Peace to the People (fixed/extended)
The NCRCF (fixed)
Spy (Fixed)
Factions (Improved)
The Day Before
Questioning: Common folk, House, NCR and Legion
Questioning: Khans, Followers, and Brotherhood
Winds of Change
Butterfly Effect
Reinforcements
Pathfinders
Midnight Showing?
The Think Tank
The Big MT P1
The Big MT P2
The Big MT P3
The Big MT P4
The Big MT P5
The Big MT P6
Big MT P7
Big MT Finale
Big MT Mission Summery
Times of Change
Murder for One
Murder for One
Murder for One
Murder For One
Murder For One
Nelson and Novac
Moon light Hunt, and Glowing Ghosts
Setting the Record Straight
Come Fly With Me
Let's Fly
Come Fly With Me
The Volcunite Plot
The McCarren Cases
The Caesarian Senate and the Leonid Rebellion

The McCarren Case: Breaking

383 10 1
Af Shadow_trooper

Nick walked in to the rather small room, it had a hole in the far wall, with glass that showed a Centurion sitting in a chair. The mix matched pieces of armor was odd. 

"Surprised Detective?" Boyd asked, seeing Nick standing and just looking at the Legionary. 

"Just the first time I've been able to see a Legionary." Nick noted.

"Well this isn't just a legionary, this is a Legion Centurion, the mid-ranked commanders of the Legion. Silus here, happen to be the only member of his failed raid that we captured alive." Boyd explained

"A centurion. So he lead a group of soldiers. Meaning, he has more info, and isn't talking. You want me to chew the fat this guy has." Nick said, turning to look at Boyd.

"Yeah. Something about him stands out, most would have gutted themselves when faced with failure. He didn't. Now we are just trying to piece together what he knows." Boyd explained to Nick.

Nick stared at the man behind the glass before he says towards Boyd "Have some of your boys bring in a desk into that room. I have a method i think that will make him sing like a stool pigeon."

Boyd looked at Nick with a slightly raised eye brow before she turns to carry out the request, Nick made another as he adds "id also like our red skirt wearing friends file if that's not to much to ask."

"I can get everything we know, but it's more like a notecard." Boys said, before she walked out and two troopers carried a table through the door, as the Centurion was held down.

Soon they came, the troopers left with the now Centurion left alone in the room for what felt like minutes, then hours until finally the door opens and in walks Nick with his suit top off showing his suit vest with his shoulder holster, badge on his belt. Behind him was Boyd still in uniform as Nick sits down with a folder, small as it was in front of the legion member. 

"Must say from what the good officer besides me told me, your types about as rare as a virgin unicorn in a barn full of seasons studs. If ya catch my meaning." Nick says while looking at the folder, not even looking up at the man sitting across from him.

"That stable would be filled with the gored corpses of any who throught they coule be my equal." Silus said, annoyed at the insinuation.

Who is this whelp? Is this some tactic to make me reveal more information?" Silus asked, confused, before he narrowed his eyes on Nick.

Nick not even looking up from the folder, even taking a sip of his coffee says with a clearly clinical tone of voice "Valentine. Nick Valentine. Detective with the New Vegas Police Department on loan to the NCR Army Military Police to help with my colleagues issues that they requested our help for." 

Setting down his cup, then closing the folder he sets it down as he looks Silus directly in the eyes. 

"Now it is my job to inform you that you have certain rights, among those is to ask if you would like some coffee, maybe water, or hell even a smoke." Leaning forward a little Nick adds "but i doubt you would ask for such things would ya?"

Silus was a bit confused. Was this to try and make him slip up and reveal something. 

"Well, if you are making such an offer. I'd prefer to see you both with bomb collars." Silus said, looking at the folder of papers...did they have more on him then what he told them? And why was a profligate from Vegas working with the NCR military?

Nick simply raised an eyebrow, "bomb collars you say? Hoping to hold use hostage for ransom. Maybe use us as some sort of suicide bomber perhaps?" Silus eyes widen slightly at the last bit but quickly schooled his features as to not show any reaction.

Silus shook his head. "The legion has no use for such tactics. They are to ensure that slaves can't escape. I prefer it when they are tight enough that the flesh bulges on top and below the collar. Makes it hard to swallow, never get use to them, and it reminds them. To be Docile." He said, looking at Boyd more than his babbling detective.

Nick just nods slowly as he looks at his cup slowly moving it around as he says towards Boyd, "Hey you wouldn't mind getting me some coffee, you as well while your at it along with some doughnuts i saw the boys bring in from the strip." 

Looking over to their prisoner he asks "You want anything?" 

Silus stayed silent as he glared at Nick. Boyd unsure just nods, "Sure. Ill be back soon." 

Slowly leaving the room Nick looks at Silus as he smiles slightly, "Well Silus, I guess its just you and me." reaching over he slowly pulls open a draw which Silus tracks with his eyes "This room, this desk drawer. And your balls." 

With a quick motion Nick slams the drawer which causes Silus eyes to widen a bit at the implications. Outside Boyd was doing as requested of the detective which she honestly couldn't nail down, she was good at reading people but this man was one minute an old veteran and the next something out of those detective comics. Of course she almost drop the pot of coffee when the painful screams of a man filled the area Silus was being held "AAAAAAHHHHHH!" SLAM as if something was being closed "AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!"

Boyd was shocked when she realized what was just slammed into the table. Silus now had several fingers broken as he was held down on the table, his hand in the drawer, that was slammed shut. 

"Next time I'll be more creative and it will be your balls." Nick shouted, before he looked over at Boyd.

"Best you talk, before I have to be creative again." Nick said, standing up and letting Boyd take his place.

Boyd slowly held out the coffee towards Nick who takes it with a smile, "Thank you." 

He takes a sip as he stands in the corner watching as Boyd sits down "So, are we ready to be more civilized Silus?" 

Of course what came was not the high and mighty strong member of the legion, instead came a shout of a angry, confused, and clearly hurt man, "YOU CRAZY BITCH! He broke my hand!"

"Yep, he can do that, he's not held to the same standards we are. I've heard that he's from across that thing in Americana. And they can do a lot more creative information extraction methods. Drowning you on land. Some impromptu dentistry, I'd even say you best talk while you can." Boyd said, remembering what some pre-war agency would do to get information.

Silus glares at her "if this is the best he has then i say to you, mater tua malleus erat, et pater tuus olet vinum!" (your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of wine.) 

Before he spat at the table.

Boyd shook her head."Then maybe I should have my friend come in and make you an Eunuch. See where that bravado goes when your fixed." Boys said, looking at the Centurion, as the blood drained from his face a bit.

Nick couldn't help but chuckle inward as he looks at his cup saying towards Boyd. "You know. I think I could use some sugar with this coffee. You wouldn't mind to terribly would you?"

"Sure, just make sure you don't break him too much, we need what he knows." Boyd said, before Nick was let in. 

Nick would take out his lighter. He looked at the Centurion looked at the desk, "You know, this is a nice desk, shame if something would break it. A nice pristine top, without a blemish, you know, like your career. I heard the Legion doesn't like cowards. Maybe you'd end up on a cross over the camp, getting to see the actual men going to fight." Nick said, leaning close. 

"You don't intimidate me, cretine. You are barely a man, pretending to be civilized, and then showing your brutish nature." Silus said. 

"You got me all wrong. I happen to the good option, in my world. I wonder, would you prefer your chair to have a bottom. I can have a rope with a monkey fist knot on it, see if that loosens your lips, or maybe, we can have Pompey come and bring you back to Caesar, if you give us something they deem valuable." Nick said, opening and closing the lighter.

Silus was silent as he looks at Nicks lighter and says "I...I am not easily scared by you or your lies."

"Oh it's no Lie. Pompey, he made a deal with the US. We let the traders come in, sell their products, the NCR, they can sell there. I remember the headline, "Rome's returned in the Wasteland." Nick said, as he put the lighter away. 

"Besides. I head you boys like their attack dogs. Me. I'm a cat person, the thing is. I was able to get catnip on the strip, some junkie thought he could get high. Think what those little claws could do to a bag, covered in the stuff." Nick said, walking out, and given a new cup of coffee, it much sweeter.

Silus was silent as he was left alone in the room with Nick and Boyd now outside of the interrogation room. 

"I had honestly thought you would get rough with him." Boyd commented as she looks at Nick enjoying his cup of coffee, "I mean like smash his head against the table sort of thing like I read in those old pre war novels."

"I don't have a nightstick to see how much he could take before he cried for mercy. But I wasn't joking about the seat less chair, or the cat nip. Besides, those Novels were written by people who barely interacted with police, Private Eyes and the rumors of the Pinkertons are more likely to be who those old books are based on." Nick explained. 

 Silus was getting nervous. Some of the threats made were....all too plausible to be used to extract information. He needed to decide, was the loyalty to a weak man worth this? Maybe not. If the detective or Boyd came in, he would give up the information.

Outside the room Boyd was smiling "Damn, I wish I had called you in sooner. He looks like he's ready to break down crying at any moment." 

 Nick looks at his watch as he said, "I'd give him another five minutes before we go back in."

"Think we should have some boys make some loud noise to make it seem like we are getting something big out?" Boyd asked. 

"Nah. The quiet is more unnerving to them. Lets their mind wander, think what could be done. It's worse for those who have more to lose." Nick said, watching Silus looking at the table.

Boyd nods as she looks at the man before asking "Gotta ask ya detective, after you help me with this, you think you could help with another matter?"

"Depends on the Matter. I got to help my green horn look for the Water Thief issue at the share cropper farm." Nick said.

Boyd nods as she elaborates, "Look I know I don't have proof and it will be asking a lot, but some guns have gone missing, well...not really missing just. I don't know how to describe it but we have a civilian contractor who acts as our weapons chief."

"Think some numbers are getting fudged to make a profit with extra-contract work?" Nick asked.

She nods "If I had proof I'd nail him to the damn wall." Her frustration clear in her voice, Nick knew it all to well when it comes to arms dealers in his world considering one of the best was so good at his craft he had a movie made about him.

"Lets head in. I think it's time." Nick said, looking at Silus.

Boyd nods as she puts out the cigarette she was smoking. 

Once the door open Silus looks up directly as the two walk in "So you got something for us?" Asked Nick as he leaned against the wall while Boyd sat down across from Silus.

"I am going to make this clear. I am as good as dead, even if I escape across the river, I will be killed for cowardice according to the Legion. Killing an experienced officer to avoid capture, it makes the megalomaniacal Caesar look even more insane, and his health is making it clear he is ill fit to command." Silus began.

Nick slowly set a pack of Malborne down on the table to which Silus slowly took one of the nicotine sticks and placed it in his lips before Boyd offers him a light in the form of her trench lighter, which he accepted, taking a slow drag and blowing out smoke he continues, "Outside of troop movements and plans, the only real piece of information that could grant me my life is only granted if you agree to a deal."

"And what is this deal?" Nick asked, narrowing his eyes as he looked at the Centurion.

Slowly blowing out smoke he looks at the cigarette as he smiles a bit, enjoying the flavor and feeling of nicotine running through his system, "Safe passage, someplace where the legion wont get me, as well as a new life, new name, something simple." 

Nick nods slowly, "farmer? small business maybe?"

"What ever. It just has to be out of the Legion's Reach." Silus said. 

Ronald Curtis stood behind two soldiers at the door, listening.

"There is an agent in here. He's been radioing troop positions to the fiends, I recognized him when I was brought in. He works by night, I do not know what his name is now. Now, when can I expect to be taken from here." Silus said, glancing over, to see a soldier walk away.

Nick blows out some smoke as he points at the man "You'll have a new name and be taken away from here to Americana territory within the next 24 hours." 

Silus nods and like that the man began to sing like a good little stool pigeon, giving up locations for outpost, raiding locations, crossings, all he knew and after three hours Nick and Boyd were both walking away with Boyd having a smile that hasn't left her face yet.

'Well I am surprised to say the least. You made him sing like a little bird. I'm impressed. Here. This is twice the compensation fee we normally give for contractors." Boyd said, handing Nick a bundle of NCR dollars.

Nick shakes his head as he pushes the money back to her, "Oh no, this was a cop helping another cop out with their investigation. That's all." 

He stops by a water cooler, grabbing a cup he begins filling it up with water, clean thankfully, as he continues, "I'm an old cop who believes that helping a fellow cop put scumbags behind bars or even help do what we did in there and get information that will save lives." He makes space so Boyd can get a cup of water as well.

"Yeah. But now that leads to a different issue. The Spy in the base, who's leaking info. We had a suspicion, this just confirms it. If you have time, it's best we plug the leak." Boyd said.

Nick chuckles as he shakes his head "Sorry LeeTee, but I'm a cop, not a spook. So sad to say you'll have to bark up military counter intel for sniffing out spies since cloak and dagger is their schtick." He takes a sip of water.

"I'm not asking you to be the gun, I'm asking you to be the detective, find the clues so we can find the spy." Boyd asked.

Nick sighs as he looks at his cup, "look let me fill out the report I've done so far then make the request to my superiors then will see where this-" 

He would have said more if not for a gun shot ringing out from where Silus was and the sight of a figure in full trooper uniform running away. With Nick throwing his cup to the ground and running to Silus cell with Boyd in tow.

Silus had clear shot through his head, he was dead, executed. On the ground was a single shell casing, from a 9mm pistol. Boyd checked to see if Silus was alive, with some hope just to get an answer, but, he was dead. 

"Looks like this case isn't wrapped up any more." Boyd said. 

 Nick took a long drag."Looks like we have to search for a killer. 

Did you see any markings on that soldier?" Nick asked. 

 "Yeah, Bravo Company's logo. I can have their captain gather those off duty." Boyd said. 

"Looks like this will be interesting." Nick said, shaking his head and taking a drag of his cigarette.

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

81 10 10
The turning point of realizations and no returns. This isn't the last volume, but a goal has been achieved.
133 2 8
Battle of thrones
269K 2.8K 21
I better give some background, this was originally part of a multiverse of stories, different worlds colliding with different versions of you the rea...
Killshot. Af tammy

Fan Fiktion

14.6K 458 18
potential rewrite in progress. rj maccready x oc insert.