Her cold, beating heart

By Discombobulate12

Taking the newly trained hunter out for her first real world hunting experience, Eden was on edge, she'd had... More

Chapter 1: Captured
Chapter 3: Dangerous games
Chapter 4: Consequences and rewards
Chapter 5: Mate - but for how long?
Chapter 6: New found connections and resets
Chapter 7: Unexpected side effects
Chapter 8: Mate

Chapter 2: Ruthless Queen

72 4 0
By Discombobulate12

*****A/N*****
This is a longer chaper. I have a rough idea of what I want the next couple of chapters to be like and a rough outline of where this story is headed.

If you have anything you think you'd like to see happen. I'm open to suggestions, as long as it fits the general direction of the story and doesn't throw out any future planned chapters!

With that said, happy reading.

Until next time, your (female) author, AJ

****CHAPTER****

After being captured by the queen's vampires (thanks Sara, you useless idiot) and taken back to the castle, we were thrown into cells. I'm pretty sure the vampires ‘escorting’ us are glad to see the back of me. If I'm going to die, I'm going to piss off every vampire I see, and I have a smart mouth. 

They're a lot better than I was expecting for cells, I was thinking dank, smells like death, dark with crap all over the floor, literally. But, surprisingly, they smell OK, I have room to move around, and there's even a place to sit. If it wasn't so cold, I'd go as far as to say I was comfortable.

“At least they're clean.” Sara says whilst walking around the cell.

“Yes, cleanliness is top of my list when I'm about to be drained and killed. So glad that their cleaners do a stand up job.” I snap back. I know I was basically thinking the same, but she's the reason I'm here, so I have every right to be a bit of a bitch.

“Alright, god, why so grumpy?” She asks.

“You're not serious are you? Why am I grumpy? Ohhh, ohh you are serious? I have been a hunter since I was 18, in case your maths is bad, that's 12 years. In all of my 12 years I have seen vampires a handful of times. Care to hazard a guess at how many times I've been captured or injured by a vampire?” I look over at Sara, who refuses to both answer the question, and look at me.

“No? Well, let me tell you, ONCE. Right now, once. Daddy dearest sorts it out so you can be a big bad huntress and boast to all your little idiot friends about how big and strong you are. Not even 1 day in and we're both about to die due to your incompetent ass. If there wasn't a cage between us now, I'd kill you myself.” I huff as I sit on the surprisingly comfortable bench.

Sara finally looks my way “I'm sorry…”
I lay back on the bench, done with looking at her punchable face. “Save it.”

I awaken to my cage door squeaking open. “It's been a while since we captured humans.” I shoot a particularly nasty look to Sara as she says this. Yeah, I'm still not over that yet, and I may be acting like a child. I'll forgive her now though. . . . Maybe.

As I stand up, I take in the vampire in front of me. She's at least 6ft tall, wearing some sort of navy blue uniform, similar to the armour that was worn by the vampires that captured us. Her red hair, which matches her red eyes, cascades down over her shoulders. She's, yes, she's smiling at me, fangs and all. Well, that's an image that will never leave me.

“I am commander of the Queen's guard, the Queen will see you both now.” She motions for me to exit the cell.
Also, why are all vampires so bloody tall? Is it a pre requisite or something?

As the commander leads us down the winding halls of the castle, a guard either side of us. I can't help but admire the castle itself. It's long winding halls with large windows on one side and paintings depicting what I can only assume are important vampire events and vip’s on the other.

As I look down to my feet, I can see the marble floors look clean enough to eat my food off of. The queen is obviously very proud of her home and takes very good care of it, well, the servants and maids do.

We're marched up to a heavy set of oak doors, each door with intricate designs of vampires towering over hundreds of, what appears to be dead humans. If it didn't depict the downfall of the entire human race, i could appreciate the fine detail and workmanship, instead, it gives me an uneasy feeling. I guess, achieving the desired effect.

“The queen will see you both now, you will kneel when we stop walking, and you will look at the floor.” The vampire to Sara's left says with a sickening grin, grasping her jaw quite roughly whilst making eye contact with me. As he lets her jaw gaw, he adds on “She currently has a personal blood bag, but don't worry, I'm sure she'll have some fun before shipping you both out.”

Apparently, this idiot thinks he's funny.
We're led into the room and pushed onto our knees. So much for us kneeling, what was the point in saying that if they were just going to force us down anyway?

“So these are the humans?” the woman I assume is the Queen asks. Not very bright if she has to ask that.

I take in the room quickly, one chair or throne is sat at the end of the room, there's 2 sets of stone stairs, one where her guards stand, 2 on either side, with the second set leading solely to the throne itself. I'm assuming only the queen may use those, anything to help bolster the old ego eh?  Looking down on everyone even when sitting.

So, 2 guards stationed either side of the stairs, plus the 2 I clocked at the unnerving doors. Before I can look any further, my head is forced down.

“They don't look like much, a little malnourished, no? Why is there mud on their faces? Filthy little things.” She says in a tone of disgust.

What the hell love? You try living in the forest, trying to avoid blood sucking monsters.

It's a good job that my head is down, I've never been good at keeping my emotions from my face.

“Insolence” She booms out.

What? Why did she say that? My head snaps to the side to look at Sara, did she say something out loud? Maybe look at her? What an idiot! She's going to get us killed.

“Look at me girl.” I widen my eyes at Sara, waiting for her to raise her head, but nothing, her head remains down, eyes fixed on the floor below. She's definitely asking for trouble here. I can hear heels clicking along the polished floor, damn, how is she walking on that?
The steps get louder as I look down to the ground in front of me.
Suddenly, cold fingers roughly grip my chin and lift my head, I refuse to look at her eyes, instead focusing on her nose.

“I asked you to look at me girl, not only do you scoff at me, you defy my clear orders as well?” She booms. “I should give you to my guards as punishment.” My eyes widen at the thought. “I said look at me.” She shouts.
Fuck, at least it was only a scoff and not the thoughts I had at the time.

My eyes snap to hers, the usual red of vampire eyes seem much deeper on her, must be her royal blood. I take in the rest of her face, her skin is like flawless porcelain, it looks so smooth. She has little freckles over her nose, ones you wouldn't be able to see unless you were as close to her face as I am now. Her lips are stained red, not by blood, no, lipstick, her fangs showing through her lips. They appear to be larger than the other vampire's fangs, perhaps another royal trait? Her brunette hair looks silky and soft, it sits in a loose loopy up do which emphasises her sharp jawline.

As I return my gaze to her eyes, I see them widen slightly, red eyes briefly flashing gold. I divert my eyes quickly, did I just piss her off more by staring her in the eye? God I'm stupid! At least I can hope for a swift death as I've angered her. As I'm stuck in my thoughts, I hear her steps retreating, the click clack of her heels moving to my left.

“Perhaps it would be more fitting to teach you a valuable lesson you may learn, hmm?” As soon as I look over to her, she pulls Sara up, tilting her neck to the side and biting, never taking her eyes off of me as she takes Sara's life, dropping her to the floor like a discarded toy. My eyes remain wide, flicking back and forth from the queen to Sara's now dead body on the floor. I feel guilt for causing this, I didn't realise she was demanding me to look at her. I do however take solace in the fact that her death was swift. In all honesty, that was the best case scenario for the both of us once we were caught.

The queen turns around, briskly walking back to her throne. “I trust you have learnt to do as I say, when I say it little human?”

“Yes.” I whisper, before jolting forward, Sara's guard smacking me on the back of my head. “You reply, yes my queen.” He says.

I take a steadying breath, looking up at the queen on her throne. “And if I don't?” I challenge in hopes of a swift death like Sara's. The sides of her lips curl upwards slightly, as I feel a sharp pain in my ribs where guard douche (Sara's guard, well, ex guard?) Punches me. I close my eyes as he advances on me, rage burning in his eyes.
“Enough. Take her to my room Frank.” the queen commands. I freeze on the floor, unfurling from my protective fetal position to glance at the queen with wide eyes. No, please, no. Anything but that. Just kill me.

“But you have a blood bag my queen? What use is this human to you?” He questions.

“ah, yes. I was getting bored of his taste, please, feel free to do with him as you wish.” She says with a flick of her wrist.

“Oh, and Frank.”

“Yes, my Queen.”

“Don't ever question me again, or your fate will be similar to the blood bag you're about to collect, do i make myself clear” her deadly tone sends shivers down my spine, she is not a vampire I wish to cross. Then again, I never wished to cross any of them. Damn Sara, poor Sara.

“Yes my queen, I apologise my queen.” he all but grovels as he drags me up, forcefully pushing me out of the doors we came in.

I'm led through winding corridor after winding corridor, all hopes of trying to escape when in the Queens room seem to diminish as there is no way I'd even remember the path we took, let alone get past all of the guards here. My only hope is a window of some sort in the room.

As I'm thrown in the room, the second guard, my guard, the commander, speaks. “Stay little human, don't try anything stupid.” She says, turning to close the doors she adds “for your sake.”

Finally left alone, I take in my surroundings. The room I'm stood in, is not a bedroom. There's a 3 seater sofa, book cases, and a single large, comfortable chair next to the books. I've never seen so many books, I immediately want to check them out, but i hold myself back. I need to take in my surroundings first. There appears to be a microwave on a counter with a fridge underneath. I've seen pictures of microwaves In books, but never seen one in person.
There's a door on the opposite side of the room, but no windows.

I open the door to what is the bedroom. It's huge, the bed must be big enough for 3 people at least, the duvet looks thick, soft and bouncy. It takes everything in me not to go jump on it. I make a mental note to do so once I've finished checking the place out, assuming I'm still alive. There's another door beside the bed, and a large window that looks to have doors. I immediately run to that, trying to open the doors.

“The little bird wishes to be free?” I jump, startled at the voice. When did she get here, I didn't even hear the door open?

“Just wanted to check out the view is all.” I return, as nonchalantly as I can, trying to calm my racing heart.

“mmm, if it's the view you wish to see, little bird. You need only ask.” I feel her arms snake round my sides, her body close to my back as I stiffen where I stand, my heart racing. Much to my surprise, she doesn't actually grab me, but the door handles I'm standing in front of. With one swift motion, the doors open as she pulls them, and me backwards.

“These doors are always locked, only i can open them. Besides, your human strength is so insufficient, you would never be able to pull them open, even if I left them unlocked.” She whispers in my ear, before moving back.

“Feel free to take a look, there is no escape from here. You may jump If you please. It is not certain death, but it is certain pain, which we will not put you out of should you choose to jump and survive. The choice is yours, little bird.” I turn around when I hear the door to my side close, the door I didn't yet get to open, I assume it leads to a bathroom. I walk out onto the balcony, still unsure of what to do. I look down, it's high, but she's right, It's not high enough to be certain death. It is high enough to cause severe injury at the least. Do I jump and hope for the best? Or stay and see what horrors are in store for me. She hasn't actually been horrible to me yet. Is that the point, give me an out, then use it against me when the torture begins, it technically being my choice.

I take steps to climb up on the iron balcony rail, deciding I'll jump. Surely if I go head first that will be certain death, I just have to do a dive to ensure it. I climb down, walking back Into the bedroom to get a running start. As my legs propel me forwards, and I exit the balcony doors, slim arms wrap tightly around my waist, pulling me back from the rail. Like before, I can feel her pressed against my back. Or is it my back pressed to her front?

She Swiftly turns me around, holding me by my upper arms now.

We're so close that I can smell her perfume, jasmine and rose, it smells so inviting, so much so that I don't register when I subconsciously lean forward to inhale more.

“I've changed my mind little bird, I have already given up my blood bag, and your friend met an untimely demise, so I'm afraid I'll be needing you for the foreseeable. Can't have you wasting all that blood now can we.” The queen says, staring down at me with hungry eyes, when did those eyes become so, so, captivating? I can't tear my own eyes away, they keep flitting between deep red and gold. Do they always do that? They seem to shine like stars. Is this the vampire pull? Is this how they capture you so easily? With their flawless skin, dreamy eyes and kissable lips? Wait, what? Kissable li… no, no, no, what are you thinking. I turn my head away from the queen, disgusted with myself. Get a grip woman, it's only been a day!

The queen lets me go, taking a step back and clearing her throat. “Now, go take a bath, or a shower. You smell like sweat, mud and dirt. It's most unpleasant.” I scoff, making my way towards the bathroom.

“We can't all smell wonderful like you.” I mumble to myself.

After my shower, I realise I have no clean clothes to put on. I'll have to ask the vampire. I wrap my towel around my body, securing it tightly at the top and holding it with my hand to ensure it doesn't slip.

I shuffle from foot to foot as I stand there vulnerable. “Do you have clean clothes for me?” I ask. Red eyes snap to me from the bed where the queen is laying. I watch as her eyes scan my body, I do my best to stand still with a blank face, looking down at the ground. I need to get a better grip of myself and that starts now.

Before I can even blink, I find my back being slammed against the wall, all the air in my lungs exhaling with the impact, my feet being lifted from the ground making it harder to catch the breath I so desperately need. The queen's hand is wrapped around my throat, as her eyes are blazing red. “You will address me as ‘my queen’, you have been told this once already. Make this mistake again and I will ensure your death is a slow painful one.” She grits out through her teeth, power rolling off her in waves.

I start to see dark patches in my vision, slowly creeping in from the edges. My head feels like it's ready to pop with the pressure, I've been desperately scratching at her hand and arms to no avail. I can feel reality slowly slipping as I start to lose all strength in my body.

The queen renews her grip on my throat, slightly pulling me back from the wall only to slam me against it once more.

“You will do well to remember who you are addressing and how you speak to me. I have been uncharacteristically lenient with you so far. I will endeavour to continue to be so, although restraint and patience are not qualities I am known to posses, and they will run out. I'm excited to find out when that will be, little bird.” She whispers in my ear. I do not know if she continued to speak after that, or when she decided to release her grip on my throat. But when I awoke, she was back on the bed, and I was crumpled on the ground, awkwardly leaning against the wall she had slammed me against.

I violently cough as I try to swallow and take a deep breath, my hand shooting to my throat to rub and soothe. Only, as soon as my fingers graze my throat, I hiss and halt my movements.

“So I didn't kill you after all.” the queen says nonchalantly. “You humans are oh so very fragile. There are clothes beside you, change into those, then, I'd like to taste my new toy.”

I pick up the clothes and walk into the bathroom to change. I steady myself against the sink, taking short shallow breaths. Anything more than that causes pain to stab through my throat. If breathing hurts this much, I'm sure I don't want to even think about talking.

I walk out into the bedroom once changed, I lean against the wall awaiting the queen's next move. In a flash she's right in front of me, tilting my head up to look at my throat.
“Does it hurt?” She asks as she runs a finger down the column of my throat. I scoff, immediately regretting my actions as a new fit of coughs wrack through my body.
She grips my chin once my coughing subsides. “I'm sure you realise by now how I feel about scoffing, you remember your little human companion, don't you?” She says, moving my head from side to side, I assume to get a better look at the damage she caused. I nod my head, remembering her draining Sara and the sickening sound of her body crashing to the ground. “Normally I would demand a vocal response, but I am sure you are currently unable to talk, is that right little bird?” I nod my head once more, pulling my head from her hand completely. I'm not stupid, I know I was only able to do that, because she let me.

“I like your spirit, little human, I can't wait to break it.” With that, she roughly grabs my face, turning it to the side as she sinks her fangs into my already tender neck. I open my mouth to scream, but nothing comes out. I feel her pull me closer to her as she readjusts her bite, causing a fresh wave of pain to pulse through my body. I swear I hear her moan, as she pushes my body further into the wall to propel herself back. I yet again crumple to the floor. She looks at me with wide eyes for a few seconds before she's suddenly gone. The door to the room is left open as the commander walks in and grabs the handle, giving me a sad smile “I said not to do anything stupid”, surprising me with her soft tone. Before I can try to reply, she closes the door, taking up her post on the other side.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

741K 17.6K 27
Alana was once a normal 19 year old girl trying to make her way through a hard and lonley life when shes ripped from what she knew and shoved into a...
156 37 15
In a world where vampires and vampire hunters exist, Eden and Vivian find themselves drawn to each other despite the many obstacles that threaten to...
5.5K 205 12
In a world once overrun with vampires..only witches and wolves now stand,all vampires have been killed..except their creators, the first Vampires,who...
47 0 17
What has Rosalind woken up to? With a quick history lesson her whole world is turned upsidedown. To go from a simple human to a vampire Princess can...