Clone Earth: MELVIN

By Regan_12

The first book of the Futuristic Fantasy:, BECKONING. In a time so far into humanity's future that Origin Ear... More

Chapter One: ARI
Chapter Two: ARI
Chapter Three: ARI
Chapter Four : ARI
Chapter Five: ARI
Chapter Six: TREVON
Chapter Seven: TREVON
Chapter Eight: OFFICER INSERT
Chapter Nine: TREVON
Chapter Ten: TREVON
Chapter Eleven: TREVON
Chapter Twelve: ARI
Chapter Thirteen: TREVON
Chapter Fourteen: TREVON
Chapter Fifteen: TREVON
Chapter Sixteen: OFFICER INSERT
Chapter Seventeen: ARI
Chapter Eighteen: ARI
Chapter Nineteen: ARI
Chapter Twenty: ARI
Chapter Twenty One: ARI
Chapter Twenty Two: TREVON
Chapter Twenty Three: TREVON
Chapter Twenty Four: TREVON
Chapter Twenty Five: TREVON
Chapter Twenty Six: TREVON
Chapter Twenty Seven: TREVON
Chapter Twenty Eight: ARI
Chapter Twenty Nine: ARI
Chapter Thirty: TREVON
Chapter Thirty Two: ARI
Chapter Thirty Three: ARI
Chapter Thirty-Four: ARI
Chapter Thirty-Five: ARI
Chapter Thirty-Six: ARI
Chapter Thirty-Seven: ARI
Chapter Thirty Eight: ARI
Chapter Thirty Nine: ARI
Chapter Forty: ARI
Chapter Forty One: ARI
Chapter Forty Two: ARI
Chapter Forty Three: ARI
Chapter Forty Four: ARI

Chapter Thirty One: TREVON

1 0 0
By Regan_12

Trevon waited for Robie who gave a small chuckle as turned his full attention to Trevon. "Ask me."

"I understand Clans are families, but the way you talk about them they seem like so much more."

Empathy filled Robie's expression. A blip from the computer briefly called his attention away from Trevon, but quickly he cleared the screen and turned to rummage through the clutter beside Russ' bed. Pulling out a digital whiteboard and stylist marker. "Clans are the primary organization of mages." Robie stated, writing out the word with a finger. "And you're right - they are made up of families."

He drew a few small circles at the bottom of the board and added larger circles above them. "Generally speaking, the bigger the family and clan, the longer magic has been in that clan. Which also elevates a clan's status. Status is important because the top clans make up what's called the Clan Council." Robie poked at the larger circles, dragging them farther up the board before drawing a pale outline around them.

Trevon realized he was leaning far enough forward on his bed he was in danger of falling out. Feeling a bit sheepish, he shifted his weight farther back, still a clear view of Robie's diagram.

"The Clan Council is responsible for regulating the clans and mages, to help keep them secret and safe."

"You said Government already does that."

Robie's face darkened. "Technically the Government are the big ones in charge." His tone soured, and with the recent restrictions put on them it made sense why. "But the Clan Council is responsible for implementing their edicts and holding the Mage community accountable for any infractions."

Trevon nodded to himself and glancing over at Russ, "So mistakes are met with community service and not government legal accountability."

"Especially for hot headed young adults." Robie wiped the board clear with his palm.

"So that's why they suggested a clan-less student like me, continue making strong clan ties? For my protection?"

"To protect themselves. It's a delicate balance, and one unrestrained mage could create panic, resulting in more restrictions. What actually happened is they decided you're worth their time instead of allowing the government to take you to some prison somewhere." Robie put the board back where he'd found it, under some random clutter. "But don't think that diminishes your talent. Healing talents are rare. The fact that you can heal at any successful level, with a few months of training. That's nothing short of extraordinary." Trevon's expression narrowed slightly, and Robie instantly knew why. "Nicki's got a big mouth. I hope you don't mind."

"I don't mind." Trevon laughed, "But you got me thinking. Everyone says the healing ability is rare, are there other abilities just as rare?"

Robie hand went to the back of his head, ruffling loose the unseen locks while Russ rolled onto his side "Yes. Why?"

Trevon felt his response was more abrasive than usual, "I was wondering why I haven't heard of any here at the University."

Russ sat up his long legs hanging off the short bed. "All magic is backed by science; elements, physics, all of that. Healing is rare within that sphere but there are other magics that don't have scientific bases. Those are ones not even Mage talk about."

"Why don't Mage talk about them?"

"Lack of understanding?" Robie suggested, "Unable to define them scientifically makes them unknown and the unknown is scary." Trevon tried to muffle a laugh. The fact that Mages didn't advertise things they were afraid of because their lack of understanding, made it more interesting they hated the government for doing the exact same thing, when it came to all magic.

"This also means neither of you are going to tell me what they are, doesn't it?" Trevon scanned both boys faces but the answer was obvious, so Trevon switched to a lighter mode. "I can appreciate the loyalty, just wish it didn't keep me from learning basic information."

"Oh it's not basic," Russ laughed, "We also aren't taught about all the wild magics. It's just one of those superstitions clans whisper about here and there."

Wild Magic, Trevon now knew specifically what to search for.

"What superstitions?" All three boys jumped at the female voice at there door. A reaction that brought an even bigger smile to the young woman's face.

"What timing, did you have a vision or something?"

She laughed sarcastically, "Funny, like you're that important. Did you walk off with my sketchbook?"

"The one you've been obsessed with for the past five months?"

"Again, Shut up." She said. "And yes. Where is it?"

Russ motioned to the bag he'd dropped before he flopped back down on his pillow. Nicki didn't waist time and began digging through the bag. Though her facial expressions showed her distaste, even the dirty socks she pushed aside didn't slow her down.

Trevon leaned forward on his elbows, "Is this the book you forgot the other day?"

"It is," She paused, "I didn't ask you before, you didn't look through it did you?" Trevon's eyebrows rose but he didn't answer. "You did."

Guilt suddenly twisted in his stomach. Instead of trying to deny it, he decided to see what would happen if he was honest. "I didn't understand them, but they were beautiful. You're a real artist."

A muffled laugh came from Russ, "No she's not."

Nicki dumped the contents of the bag on top of him and he grunted. "It's not here," she sighed.

"For something that important you leave it around often." Trevon said. Nicki nodded.

"I usually don't think about it until I really need to draw in it." She answered. Robie stood and quietly slipped from the room.

"She's obsessed." Russ' muffled opinion came again.

"I don't get obsessed," Nicki glowered. Nicki glanced around as if searching for eavesdroppers. Trevon tilted his head in confusion. She turned back to him, eyes closed. Her reply was nearly silent; Trevon had to lean forward to hear it. "It's just one picture, it's not finished but I feel my muse is trying to give me the answer but I still can't hear it."

"Your what?" Trevon glanced to Russ, but his reaction gave no clues. "Am I supposed to know what a 'Muse' is?"

Nicki's eyes opened, nearly neon compared to their usual aquamarine. Robie reentered the room, "She borrowed the term from a collection Greek mythos." he explained in the same motion he extended Nicki's familiar leather bound sketch journal to her.

With sounds of pure relief Nicki pulled the object tightly into her arms, gushing her gratitude.

Trevon recognized the term and did a quick scan of the books on his bed. There in the far corner was a white leather and gold book baring the symbols called Roman Numerals.

He snatched it up and quickly searched the glossary for the word, 'Muse'.

"Where did you find it?" She asked, "Just retraced your steps. Remember you were talking to that Teaching Assistant earlier."

"Simon?" Russ questioned.

"He made her Hot Cider," Robie poked and Russ rolled his eyes.

"Can I see the picture?" Trevon interrupted, which Nicki was grateful for as well, however his request was met with hesitation. "If you have a Greek inspirational being following you around, I'm curious what it's telling you to draw."

Nicki's hand tightened on her notebook, "Like I said it's not done." She glanced from Robie to Russ but neither boy gave her any helpful reaction. A knot tightened inside Trevon and he knew that he was pushing hard on something personal. Prepared to surrender his curiosity he paused when Nicki opened the book towards the center pages.

She turned the book upright for him to see. It was the unclear sketch he remembered. Whips of short hair and a set of vivid eyes looking straight at him. A few new lines had been added in the back ground with color. A yellow swing set, rusted over and an animal of some kind in the distance.

"Is that a dog?"

Nicki shrugged, "I don't know. The focus is the girl. I can see her clearly in my head but I can't get her right on paper. So I draw what's around her instead."

"That's why she's always going places she shouldn't be," Russ added. Nicki promptly hit him with a free pillow. "What? You're trying to find the right face is all I'm saying."

Trevon recalled his first meeting with Nicki, her dramatic reaction when covering up her screen. She thinks she's drawing someone she's seen. But she's never seen Ari...

Trevon's head tilted as he looked into those black and white sketched eyes.

"Are her eyes green?" He asked. "My green?"

Nicki's eyebrows lifted. Spinning the book around she looked deeply into those eyes, back to Trevon's and then back to the page again. Suddenly her hand whipped around, the back of it connecting hard with Russ's side. "Pencils!" She demanded, Russ didn't move.

He didn't have too, Robie held a cup of colored pencils out to Nicki which she quickly rifled through. Finding a color that satisfied her, she began to shade across the page. Russ and Robie discreetly watched over her shoulder not interrupting her progress.

"What made you think of that?" Robie inquired.

Trevon sighed, "It looked like Ari." He sighed, "But that's just because I miss her. You've never met Ari, so why would you be drawing a picture of her?"

All three of them exchanged glances.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

307 4 19
Ryan is lost. Struck by Evil's dagger, he is catapulted into a strange land of memories and choices. He wanders the void, where past, present, and f...
26 0 6
What would be human race do if the earth could no longer carry us in her arms? A story set in a futuristic timezone where life on earth has reached i...
9 0 9
Best friends Mara and Drew come across a portal that will unknowingly change their lives forever. They must travel through multiple dimensions and fi...
128 11 16
The human race have fled to the skies. Sharing the skies with the People of the Clouds (Cloudars) Creatures who look like human but can walk on cloud...