Coffee at first sight

By Selenegreyy

When Ayla Porter's father suddenly announces that she's about to get married to Xander Grey, the rich and arr... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47

Chapter 23

335 25 8
By Selenegreyy

Xander pov

"We'll be there Emma", I tell my sister. "Yes, she knows. At seven sharp, I get it."

I walk towards the elevator while still speaking on the phone. I see Ayla and the guy from the receptionist laughing at something. The sound of her laughing causes a weird warm feeling in my chest for some reason and I find myself staring at her.

After that night of her panic attack, everything has returned the same between us. She always makes as if I am not present and keeps to herself.

I still remember her shocked look on her face when I had told her not to hug me again. She looked devastated yet was so worried that I was uncomfortable.

I just blurted out those words in case she would think too much about it. I was taken aback by my own action as well. I have never skipped work during the day yet for her, I did not even think twice about it.

I just wanted her to feel at ease in the comfort of our home.

"Xander? Are you there?", Emma asks.

"Yeah", I murmur, distracred. "We'll be there on time. Don't worry. I have to go now. I'll see you later."

I end the call and look at her again.

"She is always wearing informal clothes", I hear one of the staff saying, knowing instantly who is she referring about.

"Obviously", another one adds. "The boss is her husband. He won't say anything to her. Look at what she is even wearing. Who even wears cargo pants and a long ass sweater to work? She doesn't even wear heels and yeah she is always in black. I wonder what Mr Grey saw in her"

"I keep thinking that too. This company has a reputation and everyone must wear formal clothes. She looks like a kid here."

The elevator opens and I walk inside, fuming from inside. I hate gossip but whatever they said is true.

It is my company and I have always made sure that everyone follows my rules including the way I want them to dress yet Ayla does not cares about it. She always does what she wants and this has to stop now.

Once, I am in my office, I call her.

Minutes later, she walks in, looking all innocent and cute. Wait, what am I even thinking?

I take in her appearance from head to toe. She does not look like she belongs in the corporate world with this attire. They were right. She looks like a freaking child!

"What are you wearing?", I demand.

"A bikini", she responds instantly and looks at me as if I am stupid.

"Why can't you dress as a woman going to work?", I ask irritatingly. "Don't you have common sense about formal wear?"

"Excuse me?", she utters with that same look. "Are you talking to me like that? If yes, it's simple. I just don't want to use my remaining common sense for you. It's a waste."

"I'm serious Ayla", I snap. "Are you trying to ruin my reputation in my own company?!"

"What has my clothes got to do with your reputation Grey?", she rolls her eyes.

"Are you even a woman? Do you see how Nina dresses for business?!"

Her eyes turn to slits at the mention of Nina.

"That's her business. Her boobs are always out for you which I know you enjoy a lot and about me being a woman, do I need to walk naked for you to know that I have a vagina?"

She's blunt as hell. I gotta give her that.

"I'd rather see anything than see you naked honestly", I shoot back.

I see an emotion going through her eyes and face. Did I hurt her? Well whatever it has been, she masks it quickly.

"Whatever Grey", she says in a bored tone. "I get you. You already exudes a shrimp size dick energy which is exactly like your brain, no wonder you are speaking like this."

Did she just...?

"Don't mess with me for no reason Xander", she adds after a few beats. "If you have problem with the way I dress, that's your problem. I don't care at all. And if Nina's dressing sense pleases you that much, then why didn't you married her? Just divorce me and marry her. You get to see boobs and I get my way out of here."

"What type of a sick pervert do you take me for?!", I growl. "Just wear formal clothes! I don't need my employees to talk about how you get priviledge because you carry my last name!"

"I don't care about people", she shrugs. "They are just nosy creatures. I won't change for anyone Xander. Just leave me if it's too much for you."

She turns to walk out but stops and turn to look at me with her head held high.

"The day I start wearing clothes like you want, you are going to regret your whole life."

She leaves my office and closes the door a little louder than necessary.

I try to get her out of mind but ten minutes later, I realize that I can't.

My mind keeps going back to her dressing sense. She always wraps herself in black clothes. The only time, I saw her in white was on our wedding day. Knowing her, I know she wanted her dress black. Her clothes are always baggy as well.

Emily had mentioned once that she has haphephobia. Fear of being touched. Maybe that's the reason behind her baggy clothes.

Another cause can be her father. It appears like she was contantly abused by him.

It used to be so much worst compared to now.

Her words play in the back of my mind.

Ayla is no doubt a strong woman. I can see it in her gaze, her stance every time. As much as she exudes confidence, she needs to loosen up a bit.

She is not ready to be seen with me. As my wife, she has to accompany me to different types of events and she does not even owns the type of dresses needed. She doesn't even have a pair of heels. She was wearing flats on our wedding day.

I have to do something about it or else she will end up embarrasing me. Something that she finds immense pleasure in.

After making a few calls, I get up. Taking my jacket, I walk out and enter her cabin. She is sleeping. I approach her quietly and find her drawings spread out on the table. Her pencil is still in her hand.

I glance at her drawings again. They look good. I did heard her telling Emily that she wants to launch new designs for her boutique. Apparently, she is already working on it and she is doing it at the office itself.

I have reduced her workload. She is only handling my schedules and setting meetings for now. Her nosebleed was horrible last time and after a bit of research, I read that intense stress can be the caused of that.

I stare at her calm face. She looks so innocent but that mouth is anything but calm. She's always ready to spit fire.

"Ayla", I call out her name. "Wake up"

I knock the table a few times and her eyes flutter open. She blinks a few times and when her gaze focus on me, she rolls her eyes.

"What do you want?", she mumbles drowsily.

"Get up, we are leaving"

"Leaving? Where?"

Now, she's wide awake.

"We have to attend Emma's boyfriend's event tonight and judging by your dressing sense, you do not have a decent dress for it"

"Will you just stop about my dressing sense?", she snaps. "What do you even know about fashion? You always parades around in a similar suit every fucking single day. Please get out from here"

"Get up Ayla", I repeat. "We are going because you are not going to embarrass me in public events."

"I am never accompanying you in any goddamn events. Go by yourself", she drawls with another roll of her eyes. "I don't want to be seen with you anywhere."

"Neither do I", I state with a clenched jaw. "But we do not have a choice so get your ass up"

"Yes, we do", she chirps. "We do have a fucking choice here Xander. Just divorce me. Boom, there's the choice."

"First of all, watch your language and the second thing, you are not getting a divorce"

She glares angrily at me and finally realizing that I won't be leaving without her, she stands up.

"Fuck you!"

She walks past me and and shaking my head slightly at her rudeness, I follow her till the elevator.

"So where are exactly going?", she demands.

"To get you some dresses and heels"

"I never wear heels"', she snaps.

"So learn!", I snap back.

"I am going to make this so difficult for you Grey", she drawls and leans back. "I may have got up without a fight but you never know what may happen ahead."

I ignore her words. Once we get in the car, she sits quietly besides me. As far as I know her, she must be thinking about embarrassing me.

"So how does this work?", she questions a while later.

"I have called a stylist to prep you up"

"Stop the car", she says in a calm tone. "Xander, I said stop the fucking car!"

"What is wrong with you now?!"

"I am not going to be your guinea pig. I have common sense about clothes. I run a fashion shop myself!"

"Then why don't you act like it? You always dress like a nun", I claim and glance at her to find her face turning red.

"If being comfortable means wearing clothes like a nun to you, then I don't give a damn about what you are saying."

I park the car at the sidelines in frustration. She is starting to really anger me now. "We have an event to attend in the evening. One that is important for my sister and she wants you there. So you will listen to me quietly and do as I say. Are we clear?"

"Hell to the fucking no", she snarls. "I am not going."

"Yes, you are Ayla!", I press. "My sister is the most important person to me and if she gets hurt because of you, you will regret it."

"Oh really?", she scoffs. "What are you going to do? Are you going to blackmail me again? Are you going to hit me? Or are you going to let my father do the honors again?"

My blood runs cold in my veins at her words. Her eyes look furious. One look at her and people would say that she is someone who can demolish anything in her way because she is so blinded by rage. 

She needs to calm down. Her body does not handles stress well. Hell, why do I even care suddenly?

"Can you be calm for a second Ayla?", I blurt.

"I can't Xander", she claims. "Your words are always condescending."

"Because you are so stubborn. Listen, this party is important for my little sister. She wants everything perfect and you need to dress accordingly"

"I was not going to dress like a hobo Xander", she utters.

"Well, do you have a dress?"

"Not yet"

I turn the key in the ignition again at her answer and starts driving.

"If we are going to do this, we'll do this my way", she claims. "I will choose my own clothes"

"Like what? Another baggy tshirt?," I retord.

"Listen, I know how to dress up okay. I just feel comfortable in these clothes. But why the fuck would you understand this?! I will buy my own dress. And matter of fact, give me your card because you are obsessed with my clothes."

I ignore her words and keep on driving. Once, we reach the designer shop, I stop the car. Ayla does not move.

"Get down Ayla", I order.

"You are not coming with me", she says and crosses her arms. "I will go inside alone."

"I need to see what type of clothing you will choose. You will not embarrass me infront of hundreds of people"

"Do you want to see the type of underwear I am going to wear too? I was thinking something about lace? What do you think?"

"Just get down the car Ayla", I grit out.

"Just so you know I am going to make your pockets hurt husband", she claims with a determined face and opens the door.

We head inside the shop and she instantly asks for black dresses. I take a seat and scroll on my phone while she does her thing.

"So what do you think?", she asks after a while.

I raise my head and find her wearing a long black dress. The material is stuck to her body like a second skin bringing out her curves. The sleeves are long as usual. She looks simple and elegant. She moves and that's when I notice the material glitters.

"So? Is it good enough for Emma's party? Or do you need my boobs out?", she questions sarcastically.

"Heels", I tell the shopkeeper.

"Right away Sir"

Ayla takes a seat opposite me. Her hair is up as a bun on her head and I wish she would let it down. Her cheeks are a bit rosy. Must be because she is angry. Her left leg moves up and down in an impatient manner.

"Here you go Ayla", the woman appears again with a few pair of heels.

She tries it on and I watch her every move. She pushes her feet inside the heels and stands up. My breath gets caught in ny chest. She already looks breathtaking.

She starts speaking with the other woman about wanting to see other dresses and I keep watching her.  She chooses to hide herself behind baggy and long clothes and that makes me wonder why.

Why does she always clads herself in black?

The color red will look amazing on her. Every color will actually suit her.

"I'm not done yet", she states and when she tries to take a step, her foot twists and she ends up losing her balance. My hands automatically catch her when she falls right on my lap.

Her gaze widen and she pushes herself away from me instantly as if she might have hurt me. She sits besides me with a bit distance between us and stares at me with wide eyes.

"Are you okay?", she asks. "I am so sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I lost my balance. I don't usually wear heels so I don't have much practice"

So, she really took my words to heart. She looks concern for me just because her body was on mine seconds ago.

"Xander? Are you okay right?", she probes again.

I clear my throat and nod.

"Good. And sorry again. I'll just be back"

She gets up and walks away. Why does she always have to care? Last time, when I told her that her touch made me uncomfortable, she looks so devastated. Nothing bothered her until I said those specific words. She did not even cared when I told her that her father and brother does not even think about her.

Ayla is a mystery and she hides herself from everyone. There must be a reason why her father behaves like that with her. As far as Ethan, I have noticed that he doesn't even care too much as well. All I know about her family is that her mother had passed away when she was still five years old.

She acts too tough for her age. And that smart mouth with all that swearing. It drives me insane. As much as she acts all tough, she is a sensitive person. Maybe a bit too much.

I let her buy everything she wants. Even though I am getting late for work. This is the second time, this woman is distracting me from work. The first time I had to returned back home with her because she looked scared to be alone. I have never done that. And that bugs me so much and I am letting it happen again.

"I am done", she finally says and shoves the shopping bags at me.

"Do I look like your servant?", I ask angrily.

"Are you interested? Cause that will be so interesting", she smiles. "You wanted me to get new clothes so you have to hold them"

I peek inside the bags. Not even a single color in sight. Everything is black.

She leaves with my card and drops her bags at my feet so that I can pick them up like her freaking servant. Annoyed, I pick them all up and follow her till my car. 

I have barely place all her bags in the car when I hear a commotion.

"Did she really just hit him?", I hear a man saying.

"You fucking asshole!"

My whole body gets alert at the sound of Ayla's voice. I turn around quickly and find her pushing a man. My feet moves on instinct when I see the guy taking a menacing step towards her but she shoves at him once again without an ounce of fear on her face.

"Ayla, what's going on?"

"This asshole just hit this girl!", she states angrily and points to a sobbing young girl. She has bruises all over her face.

"We have already called the police", a voice chirps from the small crowd.

"This is none of your business!", the man shouts. "She is my girlfriend and I can do anything I want with her"

"No you don't. Guys like you deserves the worst and I hope you get it", Ayla snarls. "Have a good time in prison"

"It seems like you want a fucking taste of what she just had too"

Who the hell does he think he is talking to? I am about to intervene but Ayla beats me to it.

"Show me what you got then you little bitch", she provokes him, looking ready to fight.

What is this woman doing?! She is crazy.

Police cars approach the area and the guy flees. Ayla is rapid to follow him but I wrap my arm around her waist, stopping her instantly.

"Where do you think you are going? Are you crazy?"

"Xander he is getting away. We have to catch him", she struggles to free herself from me but I tighten my hold even more.

"Let the police do his job. We are leaving"

"Come with us young lady", an officer guides the injured girl in the car.

"Thank you for intervening", a woman walks up to us and tells Ayla. "That was really brave of you. You didn't even waste a minute to save her. Even these men made as if nothing was happening and just kept walking away. Hell, I was scared to do anything"

"You do not have to thank me", Ayla responds. "No one has any right to raise their hands on someone weaker than them. I did what I felt was right"

I drag her till the car, fuming with anger. She is so reckless and could have been easily hurt. "Are you out of your mind Ayla?! What were thinking going to fight a man double your size?"

"He was torturing that girl Xander and she looked so afraid", she responds with a frown. "I could not just stand and watched it."

"What if he would have hurt you? Do you know how dangerous that is?"

"I can save myself just fine", she argues.

"You are 5'6 foot of fragile skin bones and the only thing you have is a smart mouth. That man would have crushed your bones in a minute!"

"That's what you think", she rolls her eyes. "I would have kicked his ass. You know nothing about me."

I stare at her. I can feel the anger radiating off her skin. Does she really think that she would have beat his ass? She is so delusional.

"Do not even look at me that", she frowns. "And most importantly do not make as if you would have cared if that man would have crushed my bones. You and I both know you would have been glad. It's a good riddance for you. So save your lecture for yourself"

She gets inside the car and I'm left standing with her words playing in my mind. I turn my head and stare at the place where that guy was previously standing at. I am not someone who resort to violence but if that man would have laid even a single finger on her, I would have broke all of them and fed it to him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

401 27 25
After losing her parents, her fiancé and her unborn child, 27 year old Casey has embarked on a journey with her godparents to find a meaning in her...
79.7K 2K 10
Sierra Walker had always dreamed of her perfect wedding. She wanted a relationship exactly like her parents. She aspired to find her true love and be...
990K 24.8K 43
Unedited Madison Stark a kindergarten teacher life changes upside down when she realized she has been arranged to her ex boyfriend's best friend. Rya...
65K 3.1K 56
Indelible Series Book #1 #28 [laughter] in 4.4k stories [11/11/20] #3 [badass female] (24/01/21) A carrier oriented middle class girl Ayat Seth was p...