Not a Fairy Tale

By Writerbyheart01

Not every girl is Papa's Princess. Not every home is a sweet home. Not every marriage is an accomplishment of... More

1.
2.
2 (ii)
3.
4.
5
6.
7
8.
9
10.
11.
12
13.
14.
15
16
17.
18.
19
20.
21.
22.
23
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31
32
33.
34.
35.
36
37
38.
40.
41.
42.
43
44.
Epilogue.

39.

1.6K 172 39
By Writerbyheart01

Madiha had been crying for the last five days. Athar was trying to console her but couldn't, he was unable to focus on his work as well as other things because of Madiha's condition. Today she didn't go to the office as she wasn't feeling well just because of this stress, she hadn't gotten out of bed since morning. Athar made her tea before going to the office and now when he came back she was still at the same spot, the empty cup of tea was resting on the nightstand and the pillow was looking wet. 

"Madiha, get up.  Take a hot shower, change your clothes and come out of the room." he patted her arm and turned to go while picking up the empty cup from the table but she ignored it. After five minutes, he came back and found his wife in the same position.  He was already tired and frustrated for the last few days.

Tired because of his hectic schedule as well as rushing from one place to another place to see the lawyers and other legal formalities. Frustrated because Madiha was not supporting him. She was becoming weak with every passing moment.

"Madiha, get out of bed, I already turn on the geyser... Take a hot shower and you'll feel better." she didn't even open her eyes. Athar noticed tears rolling down from the corner of her eyes.  He felt anger rushing through his veins but somehow he controlled himself. 

"Madiha." sitting beside her he whispered and Madiha rested her head on his thigh. "Athar, I love you. I can't live without you." he caressed her hair and ran his fingers on her scalp. 

"We will live together.  Don't worry," he whispered but she was silently crying.  Athar took a deep breath and slightly pushed her has away from his lap. "Come on, let's go for a walk after dinner." he gestured for her to go to the bathroom to take a bath and free herself from these depressing thoughts, but she wasn't finding the energy to do anything. She was still crying and Athar lost his patience. 

"Madiha bas bohot ho gya. Thak gya hu main tumhe samjhate samjhate ki halaat se muqabla karo, roone se kuch nhi hota. Us insaan ne case kra hai na... Hum case lad lenge." he was shouting at his wife for the first time but Madiha gave him a disappointed look.

(It's enough Madiha. I'm tired of convincing you to fight against the circumstances, crying isn't a solution. That man has sued us, right? We'll fight this case.)

"Aap us insaan ko jaante nhi hain Athar, bohot power hai uske paas. Wo case jeet jayega."

(Athar, maybe you don't know how much power that man holds. He will win this case.)

"Jeetne do, hum high court jayenge, waha bhi jeet gya to supreme court jayenge. Waha bhi jeet gya tab bhi hum haar nhi manenge. Tumhe pta hai hum agar haare to kyu harenge? Tumhari wajah se Madiha, sirf or sirf tumhari wajah se kyuki tum ladne se pehle hi haar maan ke baith gyi ho. Wo insaan bhi jaanta hai ki tum usse kitna darti ho, isi liye dara rha hai tumhe, apne dar ko chhodo aur muqabla kro. Tum insaan ho koi samaan nhi ki court order de dega ki tumhe uske ghar me rakh diya jaye. Tumhari marzi ke bina tumhe koi kahi nhi le jaa sakta." Athar shouted out of rage and walked out of the room. Madiha was stunned, she never knew that this man could also shout so loudly. She believed that he was a polite man but he displayed his other side too. It was clear that he could get angry if came to his angry side. 

(So let him win, we will approach the high court, if he wins there we will approach the supreme court, but we won't give up even if he wins there too. You know what Madiha, we will lose only and only because of you because you're ready to lose without even battling. Kick your fear and fight against the odds. You're a human, not a lifeless material whose possession would be given to someone through the order of court. No one can take you anywhere without your will.)

<><><><>

Madiha was sitting silently for the last half an hour. She waited for Athar to come back but he did not come. After taking a shower she wore a comfortable nightgown, wrapped her wet hair in a towel and looked at herself through the mirror. She was the same Madiha who was so positive and bubbly in her early teenage years but now she was broken.

Taking a deep breath she walked towards her husband, he was sitting on the sofa of the living room, a few files were settled in front of him and he was picking some papers from them. 

Without uttering a word she sat down beside him and grabbed his arm. He stopped to pick up papers but said nothing just looked at her.  For the next few minutes, they said nothing but suddenly "I'm sorry." they said in unison and Athar opened his arms.

"Ab agar rooyi na to main tumse kabhi baat nhi karunga."

( I will never talk to you if you cry again.)

"I won't cry now."

"You need to be strong." he whispered "I'm afraid, Athar."

"See Madiha, sometimes situations make our life difficult and sometimes we make our life difficult by overthinking our situations." he broke the hug and cupped her face.  "We both are together, we are married. No one can order us to live apart. No one can order you back to a man who used to beat you. Women take divorce from such men, and the judiciary supports such decisions of women. Let's see what happens in the court."

"I know Athar, I know such a simple thing. I'm worried because I also know that Danish must know all these things, he is not a fool to file such a weak case. There must be something in his head. I'm afraid of that thing."

"That's what I said. Sometimes we overthink the situation to make it worsen. Right now you are worrying about something that may take place after a few months. And after a few months, you will think about the incidents that can take place after a year. My point is simple...  Let's live in today. Tomorrow will bring its problems or reliefs along... Why are we spoiling out today for something that hasn't taken place yet?" he put his point and Madiha rested her head on his chest.

"You are the best husband."

"But you're the worst wife." she suddenly looked up. "You don't even remember that today is your husband's birthday." Madiha's eyes became wide and she smacked her forehead. "I'm sorry Athar, I'm so sorry," she muttered and Athar rolled his eyes. 

"Is more par happy birthday bola jata hai, sorry nhi."

(On this occasion we say happy birthday, not sorry.)

"Happy birthday." she kissed the back of her palm and he stood up. "Let's go. Today we will celebrate. It has been four months of our marriage but we haven't been on a date, don't you think it's odd?" he asked and Madiha smiled without saying anything but she knew why they weren't enjoying their life. They were saving money to pay instalments of this home, they weren't enjoying their life like a couple in their twenties but thinking about their future like matures. 

"Aaj ki treat meri taraf se," Madiha announced.

(Today's treat is on me)

"Independent woman se shadi kar ke ye fayda hai," he chuckled and Madiha rushed to the bedroom to change her clothes. How could she forget Athar's birthday? She was cursing herself, instead of making this day special for her loving husband she was creating a depressed environment. But she was still scared.

(that's the benefit of marrying an independent woman.)

<><><><>

After a few days.

For the first time in her life, Madiha saw a courtroom. It wasn't like the one shown in films and TV serials. There was no space for an audience who could witness the live proceedings, no hammer was present in front of the judge for doing the so-called order order, and there were no wooden witness boxes present on either side of the bench of the judge. The small courtroom was packed with law people, police and court staff members. For the first time in her life, Madiha got to know that hearing, trial and argument are some stages of a case proceeding.

Standing in the courtroom she was holding Athar's hand tightly. She never knew that someone would call her name only then did she have to go inside the room. On the other hand, Danish was standing with a chin up, he was looking confident. 

"Don't worry, we have a strong case." said the lawyer to Madiha in a whisper and presented their file in front of the honourable judge. The file contained almost 200 pages that state everything based on truth. Danish's violence, his distrustful and disrespectful nature, the taunts, his verbal, physical, and emotional abuse and everything till the divorce. Opposite from Madiha's expectation the judge glanced at Madiha then towards Danish. 

"According to Madiha, Divorce is given by Danish Qureshi, and he says that he never divorced his wife." said the judge while turning the pages of files present in front of him. 

"Sir it was a verbal triple talaq given by Plaintiff, there were four witnesses of this incident." the lawyer put her point and Madiha waited for a positive result. 

"But triple talaq is not valid anymore. Moreover, if we consider it as divorce then it's not registered yet?" the judge asked

"Sir my client comes from a very simple and humble background, she doesn't know these legal matters. Following the religious rules she accepted this divorce and moved on towards a happy and peaceful life. Even, though this divorce brought positivity in her life as she walked out from an abusive marriage, however when she is living a happy life with her husband, Mr Danish is creating problems for her with his false accusations."

"Hmm... Noted." the judge nodded. Seeing towards the Danish as well as Madiha. "Do you have anything else to say?"

"Sir, this demand of the plaintiff to get Madiha back should be dismissed because the defendant has already moved on and the plaintiff should be punished for all the violence as well as physical, and emotional damages he had done to my client." Madiha's lawyer put her point.

"What's your point? Where is your lawyer?" the question was for Danish.

"Sir, my lawyer is unable to come today so I will put my points myself." Danish said formally "This woman had been cheating on me, when I caught her red-handed she accused me of violence."

"She is not accusing you, but you're the one who accuses her of having an affair, she is not pulling you to the court..."

"But sir, she is my wife, I want to live with her because of my emotional bond, I'm ready to forgive her for everything, however, she is living with a man outside the marriage." Danish made his point registered and the judge looked at Madiha's lawyer. 

"Sir the defendant has already submitted her Nikahnama (marriage certificate) and statement of witnesses who witnessed Danish giving her verbal divorce. Kindly consider all the facts and dismiss this case as soon as possible so that the defendant can lead a peaceful life with her current husband. She has no emotional attachment with the plaintiff as he has given her nothing but traumas in four years of marriage." Madiha's lawyer made her point and the judge closed the file.

"The next hearing will be on..." The judge looked towards a man who was there for all those formalities and then announced a date of six months later.  Danish requested an early date but his request was denied.

Athar walked out of the courtroom holding Madiha's hand and Danish glared at both of them.

"No worries for the next six months." Athar smiled but Madiha pressed her lower lip in between her teeth. "And what will happen after six months?" she muttered.

"Dekha jayega," he jerked away the matter and Madiha took a deep breath before letting it go.

(we will see.)

"Ab lag rha hai ki hum jeet jayenge." this was the first time when Madiha smiled without any worries. After witnessing Danish's weak argument she gained confidence but Athar smiled at her positivity. "Hmm... Ab lag rha hai hum jeet jayenge, bas aese hi khush raha kro." he was satisfied to see Madiha's confidence.

(Now it looks like we will win.)
(yeah, Now it looks like we will win. Just be happy like this.)

"Let's go to meet Mohsin and Aamna." Madiha demanded when Athar was about to start the scooter but he rolled his eyes, "Say it straight, you are missing Zayan," She giggled on the fact and nodded. 

"That's true. I'm missing him."

"I'm missing Ayan and Ammi." his smile vanished. "Let's go to meet Ammi, we can meet Zayan some other day," Madiha suggested and Athar thought for a few moments.

"Are you sure you are ready to go to that home?"

"Hmm, I'm sure." even after knowing the possibilities of anything odd, she gave preference to Athar's happiness. At the same time, Athar's mobile rang. That was Rosie's call.

"Yeah, Rosie?"

"Where are you bhai?"

"I'm going home, we are going to meet Ammi, I'm missing her." he spoke with a smile but Rosie's voice was dull. 

"Don't go home, come to the hospital." she was about to cry. "Ammi is hospitalized, bhai."

"What happened to her?"

"She is mumbling your name."

"Which hospital? I'm coming..."

<><><>

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 72 23
In life things don't always go the way planned love is never real people lie and the past will always come back to bite you in the ass especially wh...
1.4K 207 27
It is a story of a girl, who is cheated by her destiny....was tried to be killed by her own father. Her mother, who was her only support was also sna...
12K 1.1K 13
Love is good. It is all fairytale. But when it takes uneventful turn...it becomes fatal.