Samurai ↔ Nishimura Riki

By lavendyl

In ancient supernatural Japan, women are expected to take care of the house, be beautiful, marry, and obey th... More

intro
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
halloween special
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four

thirty one

231 26 12
By lavendyl

does anyone have discord? wattpad has been so inactive and im feeling lonely on wp 💔. idk why but i was bored on discord and made a server for absolutely no reason than boredom and i absolutely love talking to others (as long as you guys arent rude) maybe ill include a link and invite when samurai becomes more popular. im super active on it these days

ALSO IK THEY USED SCROLLS BACK THEN DONT PENALIZE ME PLS 🙏🙏i just thought books would fit better

countdown: 1/15 of the last part completed!

Her body seemed to have a mind of its own.

Somehow, she had ended up at the library. Hyewon stared up at the grand doors of the palace library, taking the time to admire the meticulous etchings on the golden plaque hanging on the doors. Her fingers brush against the cold brass handles, but she stops herself from opening the doors, hesitating.

While she did have a particular fondness for books, she had never visited it before. She was far too busy to take the time to stop by ever since she was given the responsibility as Riki's guard.

Should she? It would be a shame to not, especially since she was already at its door. She might as well check out the library. It would be nice to distract herself after... some events.

Shoving her worries to the far back of her mind, Hyewon pushed the doors open.

Woah. Her eyes rounded with surprise as she spun around to get the full view of the vast library. It certainly was big, just as her teachers back at the academy had described. In fact, it might even be the biggest, prettiest library she had ever been to.

Chandeliers were lit with magical flames along with a few torches glowed softly, exerting a dim but cozy glow. The whole room itself was shaped like a dome. Several levels curved towards the ceiling, one stacked up on another, connected by either a ladder or a spiral staircase. Each one was filled with several rows of bookshelves, each chock-full with hundreds of books. Tables and chairs were secluded far into the library, a warm fireplace crackling nearby. The faint smell of the incense sticks burning drifted in the air, a familiar scent to Hyewon.

Very few were in the tranquil library and she preferred it that way. Relaxing slightly, she straightened her shoulders and walked over to the bookshelf closest to her, her fingers grazing against the aged wood. Not knowing what story to read, she began to peruse carefully through the wide selection of books, slowly making down the aisle as she looked at the titles of interesting books.

Bleh. The History of Japan? Nah. We were meant to be? How sappy. The Red Crown? Hm....

She plucked out the last story from the shelves and started to read the blurb of the story.

Murder mystery. How fun.

Soon enough, she found herself immersed into the story, sitting on an empty velvet red sofa, flipping through each page gingerly.

"Byul!"

I flinched at the call of my name. Drat. The brass door knob, the beacon of my freedom, shone and glittered, but now I had been caught. I couldn't escape home tonight. It was a tempting thought, damning the consequences and bolting out the door, but it surely would have its own consequences. My trip into the village would have to be postponed for tonight

Slowly, making sure to not make a noise, I crept away from the foyer and slipped into the dining room, picking up an apple and taking a bite of it as if I had not tried to leave my home moments earlier. As I moved, the hidden key jingled against the bag of coins, both which were concealed well in the deep pockets of my dress. Footsteps grew louder and louder with every moment and I stilled, waiting for-

"The Red Crown? Nice choice. I've read that one. Just so you know, Moka ends up being the killer."

Slightly annoyed, Hyewon lowered her book and looked up to find who had unceremoniously spoiled the whole story to her. She scowled. "Bold of you to assume I'm at that part of the story. Really, I appreciate you ruining the whole story for me, but when did I ask?"

The figure in front of her gave her a grin. "You're welcome."

He had disheveled, dark brown hair with facial features that likened him to a dog's. His eyes were the shade of warm brown, sparkling mischievously. His emerald brocade robe ended just right before his ankles and was embroidered with golden thread, a rarity that wasn't common in the kingdom. It was certain that he was someone of high rank. But while his attire seemed noble and wealthy, he gave her a lopsided smile. "Why're you in the library so late at night, miss?"

"Who are you?" she countered.

Instead of yelling back at her, he only laughed. "Mate, no need to act so aggressively if you just wanted to ask for my name. It's Jake, by the way."

She raised an eyebrow skeptically. "Jake? Not a very traditional name you got there," she says suspiciously.

Just watching him smile made her jaw hurt. How could someone be so happy anyway? Somehow, his all pearly teeth smile widened even more. "It's short for Jaeyun. Sim Jaeyun. You?" he asks.

Sim Jaeyun. She had heard his name before, at least that she was sure of. Still, she remained cautious. Should she tell him hers? In the end, she decided to give some form of trust. "Hyewon. Cho Hyewon."

"Cho Hyewon?" Jake's ears perked up. "You're the guard of the Crown Prince of this kingdom right?"

She frowned at his overflowing optimism. How did he know? "I suppose you can say that..." her eyes fall on a unique golden brooch carved meticulously into a dragon pinned on his robe. Then realization hit her. "That brooch," she points at it, "that's the crest of the Northern family. You're the Crown Prince of the Sim family, Prince Jaeyun," she guesses.

He was royalty. She had to be cautious now, even though his kingdom was allied with hers. She couldn't risk offending him by asking him to go away.

He chuckled. "To be honest, I'm surprised you didn't recognize me earlier, but I'll give you credit for being intuitive and observant." Jake gestures to the sofa. "May I sit next to you?"

No. She nodded and moved over. "Sure."

It was awkwardly silent as he plopped down beside her. Trying to ignore his presence next to her, Hyewon tried to focus on the story, but it was hard to, especially since a certain someone had just spoiled the entire story and was clearly staring at her.

Eventually, she decided to break the silence. She closed her book. "How is it back home in the North?" she asks politely.

Jake shrugs. "Cold, I guess, considering it is in the North," he said nonchalantly. "I've already finished with my studies and taking court duties, but I won't ascend to emperor until after the war. My parents want to keep me out of it as much as possible, so the only 'court duties' I actually have is looking at the finances and providing my opinions to our council. Pretty boring, but I don't mind. Otherwise, all I do is read. Got to keep my mind sharp." He tapped his head. "What about you? How is being the only female guard of the Crown Prince in history like?" Probably noticing her expression at the word 'female', he rushed to correct his error, coughing. "Not that being a female warrior is bad. It's just not a common occurrence. On the contrary, I find it admirable that you chose to defeat the standards," he amended.

Hyewon paused, giving herself to ponder about the question. "It's... a lot less exciting and dangerous than I expected it to be," she admitted. "Most of the time I'm either standing or sparring with R- Prince Riki. The only thing I actually need to save him from is his own stupidity-" she covered her mouth, but Jake appeared to be unfazed. "To be fair, having the job as his guard is already dangerous, since you're a target." he pointed out, "Especially during wartime. You're lucky enough you haven't gotten into a major problem regarding it yet."

Well, she thought to herself, I surely didn't reveal myself to the enemy months ago to save Riki from a mercenary. I think I'm already in a pretty tight spot, especially since I'm romantically involved with him. But he didn't need to know that.

"I guess." she replied shortly. "Isn't it dangerous for you to come here though? The palace could be attacked anytime."

Jake only raised an eyebrow. "Danger is not an issue. I'm perfectly capable of protecting myself, even without guards." His right eye flashes green before returning to its original brown. The sight was unsettling, reminding Hyewon eerily of poison. Maybe the smiley-faced Jake was all an act. Or he was bipolar. It could go either way.

"An Earth user?"

"Mhm." He leans towards her. "Don't look so shocked, Warrior Cho. You're a Chiye. We both know you're more capable at power control than me."

She swallowed. Maybe she was, once. But after losing control of her magic, she was more self-conscious. Sure, she had mediated the past weeks and managed to cultivate some of her magic back. But she doubted she had reached the full extent of powers she once possessed. And staring at Jake, probably one of the strongest individuals in magic of their age, only made the gap between them more real. How could she even protect Riki if the time was to come? That was assuming he didn't break up with her the moment she defended his mother's killer.

Maybe she was just underestimating herself too much. But at that moment, she swore to herself that she would work harder than ever to regain her powers.

She probably had been making a I'm-determined face since Jake looked at her curiously with a mix of confusion. "What got you so worked up?"

"Nothing." she lied.

Jake only glanced at her one last time before picking up the book off her lap, startling her. "What part of the Red Crown are you on?"

"Oh, um." For some reason, she became flustered at the change of topic. "Probably the first few chapters. I'm on the part where Byul attempts to sneak out."

"To the village to meet her commoner friend? I see," he handed her back the book. "What's your favorite scene so far?"

"I don't have one yet, I'm only reading the story for the murder mystery thrill," she confessed.

He hummed. "Murder mystery? Then, I think you'll like it. Although, there are a lot of character deaths."

"Uh... yay?"

"So you're the kind of person who would enjoy mystery stories?" He brightened. "Oh, then I have plenty of suggestions for you!"

He started to rattle various titles, to which Hyewon only replied with a nod or a hum of agreement. Soon enough, she felt herself yawn and started to doze off into dreamland.

The last thing she remembered seeing was Jake pausing to look at her and smile. He tilted his head, mouthed a few words, and then Hyewon was out like a blown candle.

And certainly, someone saw it. Care to guess who this someone might be?

A/N: gotta love me some cliffhangers and discord mafia 🥰

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

108K 1.5K 24
★彡[ɪꜰ ɪ ᴡᴀꜱ ꜱɪᴄᴋ, ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀʀᴇ?]彡★ Update at least once a week:) 🖤 angst ❤️ fluff/sickfic 𝕰𝖓𝖍𝖞𝖕𝖊𝖓 ʟᴇᴇ ʜᴇᴇꜱᴇᴜɴɢ ᴘᴀʀᴋ ᴊᴏɴɢꜱᴇᴏɴɢ / ᴊᴀʏ ꜱʜɪᴍ ᴊᴀ...
2.6K 177 39
An Enhypen mafia story Mae had been alone with her mother for as long as she could remember. Her father had never been in the picture. Whenever Mae t...
72.1K 3.5K 25
☆ enhypen sunki ff 。 where in kim sunoo tries his hardest to impress his crush, ni-ki. being the hard worker he is, sunoo tries his hardest to gain h...
288K 14.8K 37
"You are a vampire, and so are your friends." Jake's life was perfectly normal and happy, until him and his two friends Jungwon and Sunoo are forced...