Lost Then Found

由 Sic-Semper

Two people forgotten by the world, finding comfort in each other and ultimately peace. But the newfound circu... 更多

Terror And Peace
Lovely day
Little Secrets
In Your Darkest Hour
You Will Find Your Soulmate
To Face One's Fears
Some Questions, Some Answers
The Nearest Town
Turbulent Times (1)
Turbulent Times (2)
The Extended Family
Good Allies

The Bride's Family

360 17 4
由 Sic-Semper

Lush trees surrounded a cobbled road. purposely kept here, these large plants served to improve the appearance one would see through the carriage window. All in an effort to, at least in a small part, remove the strain of monotony whenever the landowners traveled.

But it is not surprising that the surroundings of the Lagunican Capital were arranged like that. This large city, whose population is 300.000, is supposed to represent the power and prestige of this mighty country.

Whenever a foreign diplomat would travel to meet the kingdom's ruler, they would have to travel through here. So, in order to keep their prestige, and satisfy their endless vanity, Lagunican governments always made sure that all roads directly leading to this city were as picturesque as they could.

But the carriage traveler didn't care about the appearance, for he has already seen it. He has seen it dozens of times this three months and will see it only the divine dragon knows how many times more. Yet he wasn't concerned by that, he had other things to care about. More likely other thing to care about. Another one to care about.

Yes, for the greatest of knights only one thing was on his mind. To find his lady. To find Anastasia Hoshin.

That is why he is going to the capital now. He is returning from a failed attempt to find her. Ultimately, the information given to him by the merchants wasn't as foolproof as he and the council thought they were. Well, so much for the highest probability locations.

Julius made some agreements with the council in order to set up all of this. The negotiations weren't the easiest ones, but ultimately he succeeded in getting what he wanted. Some sacrifices had to be made, so things had to be discarded. But, in the end, Julius regrets nothing.

But, his failure to find Anastasia yet again, is causing him great distress. He feels like a fool, an incompetent moron. However, such thoughts had no place in here. Soon enough, they will have their place. but now, that is not the case.

The carriage carrying the greatest of knights entered the city proper. There were some minor delays at the city's gates. But, upon realizing who the traveler was, the carriage was allowed to proceed unimpeded.

Continuing its course, the grand dragons led the travelers directly into the noble's district. The road quality improved greatly the moment that passed the semi lawful, border of the district. But, once again Julius didn't care. He remained indifferent, until his eyes noticed his destination.

It was Anastasia's old mansion in the capital. Now, this structure legally belongs to the Juukulius family, just like everything else that belonged to Anastasia. Such an injustice hurt the greatest of knights, and he will see to it being made right once again. But, that will only happen when Anastasia is found. The fluffy merchant's finding is something that eludes him still.

As he exited the carriage he could see a familiar face waiting for him. One decorated with a really sharp teeth.

" You're back Julius. Didn't even notice you were gone." While the words appear to be light-hearted, and Ricardo intended for them to be taken like that, it was clear that such joviality was merely a facade.

" I've been gone for almost half a month." Julius chuckled a bit as he played along. " But, I suppose it was too much to expect you to understand the value of time."

" Oh... You wound me, Julius"

But, forced banter wasn't on anybody's menu today. So the men quickly got back on track.

" So. Nothing happened." The words were quiet as they left Ricardo's mouth. It is clear that he already knew the answer. But, there is still a small part of him, a small part that hopes that he is wrong.

Julius understood that, and to be honest, could completely relate. He would have wanted no more than to tell Ricardo now happy news. Or, at the very least, some decent news. But, he couldn't. He couldn't without lying, so with a heavy heart he confirmed the awful truth.

" Nothing, just a false lead."

Ricardo shook his head in acceptance. It was foolish what he was doing, but he can't help himself.

An awkward silence followed these words. Rationally this shouldn't have happened. it was obvious that Julius had nothing good to bring. If he had, he would have already informed the rest via a letter. But, they are all humans, even if some have much more hair and sharp teeth. They all, deep down held their breath hoping for a miracle. They knew it was never going to happen, but there is some part of their being that simply couldn't but hope.

Yet, not all was so bleak. The kingdom at least is taking this case seriously. If there is any hope of getting Ana back or learning what had happened to her. The kingdom was their best bet to realize that hoped future.

But, those were not only lighter parts of this life, there are others. Ones that are small, yet so impactful.

" Mimi and Tivey, returned a few days ago as well." In an attempt to lighten the mood. Ricardo broth Julius the news he knew the purple knight will love.

Once he heard this a small smile formed on Julius's face. This was indeed nice to hear, so he answered in kind.

" Really? Nice to hear that."

Ricardo smiled at this response.

" Yeah, they did." his smile broke into a more neutral expression as he added, " They neither had much luck."

" That is truly unfortunate." Julius's words clearly portrayed just how tired he was. He barely slept and took no rest during this expedition. He would do day in and day out, do everything in his power to further the search. He contacted local nobility, searched for the best merchants, and inquired about their knowledge. But, in the end, all of that effort was fruitless.

Recognizing his friend's condition Ricardo tried to offer help.

" You'll tell me all about your journey, but after you take some rest."

" I am fine Ricardo." Julius protested.

" Man, you're only lying to yourself." without skipping a beat Ricardo replied.

Julius was silent for a moment. He thought clearly in his head, and after a few seconds, he relented. "You are probably right."

The wolfman smiled at this. " Of course, I am. Now, take some rest so we can talk."

With those words, these two men temporarily parted ways.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julius was quietly sitting on the edge of his bed. He was supposed to try and get some rest. Perhaps even sleep for a few hours. Yet, no matter how hard he tried he couldn't make himself do that.

He tried and tried, over and over again. But, he simply couldn't. His thoughts would never let him. They would always bring forth the only question that mattered to this " knight".

Where is she?

In his inability to rest, Julius would rise and sit on the bed's edge. The placement wasn't random. No, it served a particular purpose. Because it allowed him to clearly look at the object of his attention.

It is predominantly white, with some traces of black here and there. it was decently large, as needed to be in order to fit this tall young man. It was primarily made of some silk material, but there were some leather parts.

Yes, his knight's uniform always captivated his attention. But, now something was different, something was missing. Where before, this uniform broth him a sense of pride and duty. Now, it failed to bring anything.

He looked at it and felt nothing. No pride, no sense of accomplishment. The greatest of knights...felt...nothing. He looked at it, and the only thing he could see is the material it was made from. It could see its color, some leather parts that stood out when compared to the rest of the clothing article, but, baring that, there was nothing.

To him the thing was now just a piece of cloth, a means to an end. It is a useful ticket if he wants to pass anywhere. Easy way to garner respect and support for his endeavor.

How could he look at it in any other way? What way?

Proof of his achievement. He has no achievements, he is a failure. Nothing else. He is a knight who let his master disappear, a knight who failed to protect the only person he was supposed to protect. Gluttony shouldn't have been able to get anywhere near Anastasia, but he did. He shouldn't have been able to take her name, but he did. He did, because Julius let him. He did, because Julius failed to stop him.

Gluttony, succeeded because Julius was too weak to stop him. Because he didn't do what he should have done to stop him. Because he is Julius because he is the greatest of knights.

The greatest of knights spent seven full months prancing in this uniform. He spent seven months silently declaring his greatness, while the entire time his mistress was suffering. If she is even alive, that is.

The possibility of Anastasia's complete demise can't be taken out of consideration. For all her greatness and intellect, she lacks as a fighter. Which is a skill essential to surviving this harsh world. Especially when you lack money or any other bargaining power.

Anastasia had money, influence, and even a private army. She was as safe as one in her position possibly could be. But, in an instant, all of that was taken. She had no time to prepare, no time to conjure a plan. She was like a fish out of water. Immediately and without warning brought out of the only place where she was safe. That is without mentioning that she lost her name during a massive battle.

Yes, the possibility of her not being with them anymore is undeniable. Again, what was Julius doing while all of that was happening? Prancing around in his uniform, while he arrogantly proclaimed himself the greatest of knights. When, in actuality, he was the worst of them.

He was even worse than a raw recruit. The recruit at least knows his placement and struggles to improve. Unlike Julius who deluded himself into thinking he was the greatest. Not, only himself, and the rest of the kingdom apparently. The sages still refer to him as one, and so does Marcos.

If they are doing this out of genuine appreciation for the purple-hared knight, or out of a desire to further their own interests, Julius didn't know for sure. They must understand how incorrect such a title is. How much it doesn't fit Julius anymore, If it ever did?

But, it doesn't matter what they think. In all honesty, it shouldn't have ever mattered. The whole situation opened his eyes a bit, or more accurately forced him finally acknowledge it. The country has its interests, the knights have theirs. His romantic idea of the entire structure was bound to collapse eventually, too bad that it took this tragedy for this to happen.

They can't be called evil, or malicious. The sages, Marcos, and the rest do what they need to in order to keep this thing going. So he looked up to them once again. Once again, and finally, he will follow their example. He will see to it that, what he needs to do in order to succeed comes to fruition.

Perhaps then, she will be back. Perhaps then, she will forgive him for his failure. Perhaps then, he will once again be able to wear this uniform with pride.

But, Julius, superhuman as he is, is ultimately just a man. Like any, he has his limits. He doesn't know when, he just looked at the uniform deep in thought, and then, suddenly, or slowly, he no longer was. Superhuman, or not, the fatigue eventually took its toll.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The room was spacious and well-lit, truly a pleasant place to reside in. Considering to whom it belonged such a thing is natural. If you have money, you improve your surroundings to the best of your ability. Even if the image presented doesn't fit the reality at hand.

" So what happened?" The wolfman, outgoing as he is simply started this attempt at a serious report.

" We followed the lead into the city, where we were supposed to meet with the informant." Julius calmly started to deliver his story. Despite the small rest he took, one could clearly see that these words were tiring him out. " Some decently well of merchant as far as we knew."

" What happened then?" Since Ricardo already knew the end of this tale he wasn't at all curious about the particular events. But, his speaking partner and this quasi-camp were completely on edge. So an attempt at curiosity needed to be made.

" We were presented with the city's mayor who wanted to trade the information in exchange for a favor." Julius as he spoke had the emotions of the event return to him. So if one would to listen really carefully, one could hear the annoyance and slight anger in it.

" What favor?" This time Ricardo indeed was interested. The reason was simple, there is a slight possibility that Julius did something that could cause harm to the group in the long run.

" There was a bandit encampment nearby that he wanted to be destroyed." Julius simply answered.

At this, Ricardo's concerns were put at ease. " And you did it, right?"

" Of course, we took it up." Julius's voice regained the previous composure as he continued with the story, " It wasn't a particular challenge. But the fact this was asked of us brought forth some doubts."

" And then what?" Just like Julius, Ricardo also returned to his previous demeanor. He once again almost mechanically asked the questions in order to finish with this formality.

" Upon completing our part of the bargain, the lord directed us to the merchant in question." Annoyance and anger could again be felt in the purple knight's voice. Although, this time, they were easier to notice.

" Then?" Sensing where this was heading Ricardo urgently asked.

"Then it turned out that this guy has no information of interest." With a slightly heightened voice, Julius finished.

" Damn it!" Ricardo made much less of an effort to keep his emotions in check. So this reaction wasn't unexpected, and in all honesty not undeserved. " So we got scammed." With a voice laced with sarcasm the wolfman spoke, " So much for the best information."

" We didn't get scammed." Julius simply stated, but the way Ricardo looked at him made the knight add further information, " At least not by the merchant."

With a raised eyebrow Ricardo inquired, " How So?"

" The man genuinely thought he had the information we needed." Julius further said, " If anybody is at fault, it would be the sages for keeping this entire thing secret."

At these words Ricardo calmed himself down, so he was able to finish Julius's thought process, " So the information given by the sages was so vague that the merchant truly believed he had what we wanted."

"Yes." Julius simply confirmed.

This greatly frustrated both the two men and their efforts. How can they find her when every lead could prove to be wrong? now they not only need to find Anastasia, but to also determine which lead is true and which is false. How not to be frustrated by this?

This time they were lucky since the merchant was honest, if wrong. Had they encountered a less honorable one, he could have strung them around for months and they would have been powerless to do anything about it. Because, they are so starved for information that they can't outright deny any given to them. Even if they could, there would still be that small voice in the back of their head telling them that they had done wrong

Not to mention that there would still be, that small chance that they were indeed wrong. They had little time, and possibly none anymore. But, they had to hope that there is at very least a little left. The hope is that she is still alive.

But, what was even more frustrating was the fact that they had no other choice but to continue like this. The support of the council was paramount if they ever wanted to see her back. Even with the wealth that this small group had at their disposal, there was no way that they could cover the entire kingdom in a reasonable amount of time, only by utilizing the resources of the kingdom such a thing can be achieved.

They already had to make many concessions in order to have the leading position in this search effort. There is no way that they could negotiate further concessions. If they were to push the country too hard there is a genuine possibility that the ex-Anastasia camp would be fully kicked out of this entire endeavor. In which case, Anastasia if found could very well end up without allies. Forced to play any role the sages deem necessary for the country's well being.

Naturally, that wasn't anything that this group can accept. So for now they need to play along, at least until the time that Anastasia is found. It caused them great discomfort and outright anger at times. But, such actions, if only for the time being, were absolutely necessary.

Yet, bothering oneself about that now is completely fruitless. All the negotiations happened months ago, and their greatest mistake was more than a year ago. There was no going back now, only doing the best you can with the situation given.

" How has Joshua been." Julius once finished with his supposed report inquired about the well-being of his brother.

In truth, the younger Juukulius didn't take this entire happening pretty well. In truth, non of them did, but the rest were at least able to help as much as they can. Joshua on the other hand had his entire world shake to its core. He idolized his brother greatly and would sing Julius's praises where ever he could. So the entire situation has rocked him out of balance.

Joshua was always the weakest of the group, and much more predisposed to: books, negotiations, and other nonviolent jobs. Perhaps he felt some form of inferiority because of that, it is unknown. But, one thing is undeniable, he saw his brother as a perfect example.

So when the true extent of Julius's failings became apparent, and the steps Julius took to reprimand them became obvious. Joshua lost this most important example in his life. Truthfully he spent almost a month separated from everybody, only receiving visits from the triplets. But, recently thanks to the effort of the entire group he made great leaps of progress and is once again a productive member of this quasi-camp.

" He is doing great actually." Ricardo, this time happy that he could carry some good news spoke, " He should return tomorrow from some business negotiations." Wanting to better Julius's mood, he further added, " According to his letters the results are quite good for us."

Julius smiled at this. While Joshua did recover even before Julius went on his recent expedition, the knight still harbored so my concern. So it goes without saying that this news was more than welcome. " It is good to know that at least one of us succeeded." Humorously Julius commented.

" Yeah, good to know that at least one of you can be relied upon." Ricardo being himself chuckled at his own humorous remark. Julius likewise joined him with that. Although, one could notice that the knight's laughter was mostly forced.

" When we are on the topic of reliability." Ricardo once again changed the topic of conversation. It is clear that he did this in order to distract himself and Julius from their failures. As it is well known the best way to forget your own failure is to focus on somebodies else. " That girl Emilia is in the capital."

" Emilia-sama, why is she here?" Genuinely curious at this development Julius inquired. He knew there were many reasons for a royal candidate to be present in the capital. Perhaps she is trying to generate favor with powerful people for her campaign. Maybe she wants to acquire something extremely rare, and simultaneously important, so she came personally to ensure a deal.

" I don't know for sure. But, it seems to have something to do whit that boy Subaru." The wolfman's voice was somewhat solemn as he spoke. The situation with Subaru always made him like that.

Julius was likewise saddened as he thought of his old friend, " Subaru." his voice trailed as he spoke, "truly tragic, he had great potential as a knight."

Indeed the boy's situation was tragic and in many ways similar to Anastasia's. But, these people can focus only on one issue at a time.

" But, what does she think she can get by coming here?" Julius, confused at this news asked Ricardo for answers. But, since they know each other for quite a long time Julius already knows that the demi-human was just as puzzled as him. So the question was asked as more of a formality.

" Have no idea." Ricardo predictably answered.

" Well, whatever it is I hope she finds it." Julius confidently stated. " It's been hard on her and those following her for the last couple of months. Perhaps a small victory would help them."

Ricardo chuckled as he waited for his friend to stop speaking, " Truly fitting for the greatest of knights to be concerned with a feelings of a lady."

" I am just trying to be compassionate." Julius defended.

" Shure, perfect knight." Yet Ricardo had no desire to stop this teasing now. But, somebody around them did.

" Big bro Julius, is that you?"

A high-pitched voice entered the room. Instinctively the two men turned to the source of it near the room's entrance. Upon doing so, they could see the small cat demi-human girl.

Mimi upon realizing that she was noticed rushed to Julius's side. She hugged his legs as she cheerfully spoke. " Big bro, you are back. Mimi is so happy to see you."

Julius instinctively chuckled at this site. Mimi was always a mix of cute and overwhelming. " I am also glad to see you too Mimi." Julius gently headpated the little demi-human as he spoke.

He was truthful as he spoke. Due to his busy schedule, he spent little time with the ex-royal selection camp. Because Mimi as well spent a large amount of time searching for Anastasia, it happened that they hadn't seen each other in around two months. So any opportunity to make up for that time is gladly accepted. In addition, it was obvious that just like on everybody else, this entire ordeal took a great toll on this girl.

While she did keep her overwhelmingly cheery demeanor. It was obvious that it was somewhat fake. There was something in her speech missing, some small thing nobody could place a finger on. But, only those around her could feel it. So Julius wanted to help her wherever he could.

" Mimi failed again." out of nowhere these words came, and like a bomb broke the previous sentiment.

" I am sure you tried your best." Calmly Julius soothed the small girl.

" But, the boss is still missing." Mimi with teary eyes countered.

"Oh, Mimi..." Julius picked the small demi-human up and placed her upon his lap. " It is alright. You gave your best, and I am sure that If Anastasia-sama knew she would be proud." Noting that Mimi wasn't going to respond in any way, Julius continued, " Don't worry I'll find her." The confidence in his voice served to reassure Mimi. She didn't entirely understand how Julius is going to do this, but she believes him.

Ricardo watched this interaction silently. He was hurt by Mimi's pain, but simultaneously, felt happy to see Julius reassuring her. So, he kept quiet as this two continued to talk to each other. catching up on what they had missed.

It was a nice sight, how unfortunate that it can't last forever.

" Did you report to Marcos? Ricardo asked with a low voice not wanting to disturb these two too much.

" No, I came here first." Julius shook his head as he denied it. " I'll do it tomorrow."

Once he satisfied Ricardo's curiosity he continues to pet Mimi's head.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was undeniable that this group had exerted themselves a lot in these three months. The number of resources expended in order to find Anastasia was truly astonishing. Almost ten percent of the former Hoshin trading company's assets were spent on it. Be it direct spending like financing mercenaries or buying some useful information. Or, more questionable activities.

But, even so, the effort that the people of this camp themselves put into finding their mistress couldn't be ignored either. Anybody who physically could partake in the search directly did, and those that couldn't found other ways of being useful. This massive effort was only dwarfed by the kingdom itself, but to directly compete with an essentially " great power" of this world is a foolish endeavor. So judging the camp members for achieving a second place would be unfair, and unwarranted. There are, after all, much better reasons to judge them.

Nevertheless, the dedication shown was impressive. But, it had only one disadvantage in the eyes of the people present. Because of their extremely busy schedules, it was rare to have everybody present at once. So much so, that it had been months since that happened last time, that is before now. By pure force of luck, it just happened that the entire camp was now together in the same place for the next two days.

So naturally, they wanted to take the opportunity and make up for the lost time. To that end, they organized something of a game night. Imagined as an event of leisurely fun, this idea was the perfect way to both take a rest for a short amount of time, and finally, socialize with each other again.

But, not everybody was present. Julius, the camp's knight was absent due to some duties. While it is a little ironic that, the eldest Juukulius was going to be late to an event made to remedy the ill effect of overwork, such a thing nevertheless did happen.

The camp members offered to wait for him, but the knight refused. He explained that reporting to Marcos was a mere formality, and that he will be back soon. So, he argued, there is no reason for everybody to wait out on this event for him. After all, he will be back before they even notice that he was gone.

But, hours passed and Julius still wasn't back. This first worried the people a bit. He seemed adamant that this job will be quick and, to an extent pointless. So why wasn't he back already? However, such feelings were short-lived. Julius is a strong and smart man, if an unexpected occurrence happened he will know how to handle it. Besides, they are in a capital, and he is now in the palace, so the chances of some dangerous attacker appearing were almost null.

'He will be back when he is back' So the people present thought, although just in case they did save him some treats. If so it happens that his return is too late into the night.

The night continued with or without the purple knight, and the people present genuinely enjoyed it. Ricardo, using his regular behavior made sure to keep everybody entertained. To that end, he was, albeit unintentionally, supported by the triplets and their usual shenanigans.

Yet the mood like being weighed down by heavy rock could never go too high. No matter how hard they tried the fait of their mistress, and their fault in it always put them down. But, such thoughts were omnipresent in these people, so this respite as short as it is was indeed a joyous occasion for them. If compared to their new normal.

Yet the preexisting happening in the room was shortly interrupted by a new arrival.

" Brother. You are back." Joshua eagerly greeted.

Julius, swiftly entering, ignored all the greetings aimed at him and mechanically walked to a certain part of the room. His expression was strained, it was clear that he was trying to stiffen some emotion, although nobody could truly identify what that emotion is.

Soon he reached his destination, right in front of Mimi. He towered in front of the young demi-human girl in an almost menacing way.

" Big bro, what is up?" Mimi worriedly asked.

But, Julius didn't answer. Instead, he picked her up and brought her to his eye level.

" They found her." In a voice, that almost resembled a whisper Julius spoke.

"What do you mean brother?" Joshua, carried everybody's else hopes in these words. They begged the heavens for their interpretation to be correct, but there was still a little bit of doubt. So they carefully, like little children approached.

" THEY FOUND HER!" Losing control over his emotions Julius turned to the rest and triumphantly shouted. This unexpected action of Julius served to crush all doubts that the camp had, so they all followed suit.

Just like the greatest of knights, they let the joy of this revelation loose. This was a miracle to them, and they acted in kind. They celebrated long and hard for the rest of the night.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

7.1K 234 37
10.16.20 #1 in Re:zero. Bless all of you & thank you for your support ❤️ 11.14.20 1K VIEWERS (FIRST STORY TO REACH) THANK YOU~ JH #1 in Ram (4/4/21) ...
53.6K 2.1K 26
【Status: Hiatus】⌞ To Aru × Re:ZERO Crossover ⌝‎ ‎ ‎Kakine Teitoku finds himself in a world unknown to him.
37.9K 875 31
After running away from all his problems with Rem, Subaru feels he can finally live in peace. However, other forces have another idea on what to do w...
463 24 1
After Arc 7, Subaru is back to celebrate a party of peace between the kingdoms of the world, pushed by Vollachia and Lugunica to keep the peace. But...