Wings of Fire: The Forbidden...

By AppleCinnamonCandles

"IT CANNOT STAY." _____________________ Hare was never supposed to be born. Her existence is forbidden. Her... More

~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Warnings ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: A NightWing Guide to the Dragons of Pyrrhia ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: The Dragonet Prophecy ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Prologue ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Part One ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 1 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 2 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 3 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 4 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 5 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 6 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 7 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 8 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Part Two ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 9 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 10 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 11 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 12 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 13 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 14 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 15 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 16 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 18 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 19 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 20 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 21 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 22 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 23 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 24 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 25 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Part Three ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 26 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 27 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 28 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 29 ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Epilogue ~
~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Q & A ~
NEW BOOK!!
Discord Server ⁉️

~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 17 ~

121 3 0
By AppleCinnamonCandles

Queen Scarlet's eyes narrowed to small yellow slits. "Now where did you hear about that particular law?" she demanded.

Peril didn't have a moment to answer. Queen Scarlet whirled around and pointed an accusing claw at Osprey.

"You!"

The queen launched herself toward Osprey, her talons ready to snatch him between them.

"No!" Peril shrieked. She lunged forward and blocked Scarlet off from Osprey. Queen Scarlet's talon brushed against Peril's chest as she struggled to back away. She hissed in pain and hovered in the air. Peril remained where she was, glaring at Scarlet. She bared her teeth in a snarl. "Stay away from him."

Scarlet shook her talon, staying where she was for a few more moments. Finally, Scarlet flew back to the balcony and took her place again.

"Very well," she snarled. "You want to fight for this traitor? So be it. Tomorrow, for my hatching day ceremony, we'll hold a battle for the Champion's Shield. If Peril wins, Kestrel will go free. If not, then I'll have a dead champion. Then I'll get to execute Kestrel right after. All in all, a wonderfully bloody day for me and Queen Burn to look forward to."

Hare looked up at Scarlet in surprise. "Queen Burn? You mean, my mother? She'll be here?"

"Of course she will," Queen Scarlet replied. "You think I'll have my hatching day without my ally present?"

Hare felt a rush of excitement, almost completely drowning out all the negative emotions this trial had caused. She turned to Copper with a wide smile.

"I'm going to meet my mother!" she said.

"At least it'll be in a happier way than this," Copper murmured, looking at Kestrel and Peril, who was still hovering by Osprey protectively.

"Of course, we'll have to lock Kestrel up again," Scarlet said. "We can't have her escaping again."

"Fine," Peril said, looking at her mother. The two stared at each other as Vermillion dismissed the crowd. Dragons poured out of the arena, buzzing with excitement. As the last few dragons were leaving, Fire and Alder came into the arena again. They grabbed Kestrel away as Queen Scarlet smiled triumphantly.

"What a thrilling day," she cooed. "Tomorrow will be even more exciting. I'll be sure our guests won't be disappointed."

Queen Scarlet brushed her wing over Hare's back, looking down at her. She gave her a motherly smile that sent chills down Hare's spine.

"Come on," Copper said, pulling Hare away and nudging her inside. "Do you want to go check on the IceWing?"

Hare pulled away as he asked that. "No." She turned to face Scarlet, who was just walking in. "Where's the other MudWing?" she asked.

Queen Scarlet paused and tilted her head. "Other MudWing?"

"Yes," Hare said, growing desperate. "The other MudWing you found under the mountain. The other one you took when you took u- my friends. Where is she?"

Scarlet flicked her tail. "Oh, that pathetic thing? She's locked away. Don't you worry, she's getting the treatment she deserves."

Hare couldn't help but fear what that meant.

"The treatment of a traitor, I assume?" Copper hissed.

Queen Scarlet narrowed her eyes at her son. "Copper," she snarled dangerously.

"Come on Hare," Copper said, pulling her away again.

Hare walked beside him, glancing nervously over her shoulder at Scarlet. The queen watched them leave, her eyes still narrowed.

"I want to find Asha," Hare whispered, turning back to Copper.

"I know," Copper said, looking at her. "I'll bring you to the other prisons."

Hare's eyes ached a little from the sudden darkness of the dungeons. She felt better after she'd been given some time to adjust and instantly darted away from Copper's side to look for her guardian.

"Hey!" Copper said, hurrying after her. "Wait for me."

"I have to find her," Hare said, looking through the bars of every prison. Some were empty, but most contained a prisoner. They all looked miserable and most were asleep. "Do you see any MudWings?"

"Keep it down!" someone snapped.

"Hare?"

Asha's voice came from one of the prisons further away. Hare perked up. "Asha!" She raced down the hall of prisons until she stood in front of a prison containing a MudWing. Asha's bright amber eyes were staring at her through the bars. Her face instantly lit up when she saw her.

"Hare," she cooed, sticking her talon through the bars. She placed it on the side of Hare's face, staring at her in awe. "You're okay," she said, her voice shaking a little. "Holy moons, you're okay. What about the others? Are they alright? Have you seen them? What about Hvitur? Is he alive?"

"Everyone's okay," Hare said softly, putting her talon on Asha's. "Hvitur will survive, and everybody is alive." She didn't mention what had happened to Clay. The last thing Hare wanted to do was scare Asha.

"So I was right," Copper snarled as he walked up beside Hare, eyeing the prison in disgust.

Asha pulled away and stared at Copper. "Oh, a guard escorted you?" she said quietly.

"No," Hare replied. "This is Prince Copper, Queen Scarlet's youngest son. He's my friend."

"How have the guards been treating you?" Copper demanded.

Asha looked away. "They've given me water every day."

"That's it?"

"Are they supposed to do more? I'm a prisoner, after all."

"Other prisoners are fed," Copper hissed.

Asha sighed. "Other prisoners aren't seen as a traitor to their tribe," she said, looking back at the dark walls of her cell.

Hare opened her mouth to mention Kestrel, but Copper quickly looked at her and shook his head. Hare clamped her jaws shut and looked at Asha.

"They're keeping me alive," she went on. "That's what matters."

"Barely," Copper snorted.

"As long as I'm breathing, I'm happy."

Asha looked back up at them and met Hare's eyes. "I'm so happy you're okay," she breathed. "I've spent every night here fretting over you and the others. I never thought I'd find myself saying this, but I miss life under the mountain."

"Me too," Hare admitted. "I miss it all. We were all together, like we should be."

Asha shook her head. "What I'd give to go back."

"We'll get you all out of here," Copper said suddenly.

Hare blinked at him. She'd never thought about escaping. She suddenly felt guilty. Could she have gotten all her friends out of here sooner if she'd been more focussed on escaping and not on things that benefitted her? Could she have saved them all from this hell?

Could I have saved Clay from what happened?

"Don't risk yourself for us," Asha said, looking at Copper. "Queen Scarlet will be furious if she finds out, and I doubt she'll hold back on anyone, even her own son."

"I don't care if she finds out," Copper said. "I'll leave too, if I have to. It'll all be worth it to help you." He brushed his wing against Hare's and looked at her. "We'll come up with a plan."

"Of course," Hare said, nodding at him. "We'll get everyone to freedom."

Asha sighed. "You two are stupidly brave," she said, shaking her head.

"We'll figure out a plan," Hare promised. "We'll get you free."

The sun was beginning to set. Hare had checked on Clay around noon and treated him again. He seemed to be doing a little better, but her friend was still in a lot of pain.

She'd run into Peril a little later in the day. The SkyWing didn't say a word to her. Hare had tried to say hi, but Peril ignored her and walked past her.

Now she stood in the main entryway of the palace. A SandWing had rushed into the palace to make the announcement not too long ago.

"Queen Burn has arrived!"

Queen Scarlet had gotten all her dragonets and Hare prepared, then brought them to greet their visitor.

Hare forced herself to sit still, despite all the excitement and energy flowing through her. She was about to meet her mother, the dragon she'd wanted to meet for her whole life.

Wingbeats filled the air. She was almost here.

"Remember to be on your best behavior," Queen Scarlet reminded them, shooting a look at Copper. Hare assumed she was referring to his earlier outburst.

But he wasn't wrong, was he?

Hare could suddenly hear talons landing on the ledge outside. She stood as tall and proper as she could. She curled her tail neatly behind her. She had to look nice for her mother.

The large wooden doors opened, revealing a group of SandWings. A large SandWing was in the lead. Her scales were pale yellow and golden. There was a vicious burn scar along the flank of her left wing and jagged scars covered her scales. She moved with heavy footsteps and her eyes were darker than obsidian.

"Queen Burn," Scarlet said, nodding respectfully. "Welcome to the Sky Kingdom."

"Queen Scarlet," Burn said, her voice almost a snarl. "You sent a message for me. You said you had something you wanted to show me."

Burn looked at Hare and bristled. Hare forced herself not to flinch away. Doesn't she know who I am?

"What is this?" Burn demanded. "One of the defective dragonets you mentioned?"

Queen Scarlet smiled. "Oh, my dear ally. Don't you recognize her?"

Burn looked at Scarlet, then back at Hare as the queen continued. "You think I'd call you here for just any hybrid? Don't you know who this is?"

Burn's eyes lit up with realization. Hare finally decided to speak.

"Hello mother."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 137 36
Splash the SeaWing is entirely useless. Nobody cares about her...not even her parents, let alone the queen that basically imprisoned her. She's not s...
30.1K 1.2K 43
Darkstalker's face flashed through her mind: the face of a dragon she had yet to meet, but whose face came with a torrent of visions--joy and love an...
1.1K 48 31
Caiman, a MudWing, must face incarceration, threats of death, and an adventure at Jade Mountain Academy to take down his powerful animus sister. The...
458 37 18
Chestnut was just a simple soldier in the SandWing war of succession, trying to keep his sibs safe. A loyal and successful soldier. That all changed...