New Beginnings

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Emmett and Emma had always just had each other. And then a boy knocks on their apartment door. Their world... More

Aesthetic
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42

28

92 3 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

PRESENT FAIRY TALE WORLD

Emma, Mary Margaret, Aurora, Mulan, Emmett, Elizabeth and Hook approached the base of the beanstalk and looked up, seeing that it extended through the clouds.

"It's a little freakier that I remember from the story," Emma commented.

"Reminds me of death," Mulan said.

"Encouraging," Mary Margaret muttered.

Hook looked between the man and women. "Well, your compass awaits. Shall we?"

Emma frowned. "Wait. If these beans create... portals, why not just pick one and go home? Why the compass?"

"Because there aren't any more beans. Whatever story you think you know, my dear, is most certainly wrong."

"There was a guy named Jack, and a cow, and something about an evil giant with a treasure and a golden goose. ...Or harp."

"Sounds like a lovely tale. But the truth's a little more gruesome. The giants grew the beans, but, rather than use them for good, they used them to plunder all the lands. Jack, was a man who fought a terrible war, defeating all but one of the evil giants. The beans were destroyed by the giants as they died. If they couldn't have their magic, then nobody could. It's really very bad form."

"Evil giants, who made magic portal beans? Why doesn't anyone just go up and grow some more?"

"Because one giant survived," Elizabeth explained. "The strongest and most terrible of them all. And we'll have to get past him to-"

"The magic compass," Mary Margaret finished.

"Indeed. The treasure remains, and amongst it is the compass. Now it will guide us to your land. Cora has the means to open a portal with the wardrobe ashes, but she can't find your land without the compass. Once we get it, steal the ashes from her and we're on our way."

"How do we know you're not just using us to get the compass for Cora?" Mulan questioned.

"Because you four are far safer company," Hook replied. "All Elizabeth and I need is a ride back. We'll swear allegiance to whomever gets us there first."

"Then we'd better start climbing," Emma said.

"Right, so... I failed to mention that the giant enchanted the beanstalk to repel intruders."

"All right, so how do we get up there?" Emmett asked.

Elizabeth smiled. "Hook and I've got a counter spell from Cora. If you'd be so kind."

Hook and Elizabeth held up their wrists, which were still tied together. Mary Margaret untied them. He held up one of his arms, showing a glowing cuff.

"Thank you, milady," Hook said. "I've got one more of these. Cora was to accompany me and Elizabeth. So... Which one of you four lovelies shall take her place? Hm? Go on, fight it out. Don't be afraid to, you know, really get into it."

Elizabeth glanced at her friend. "Might I go and choose a partner?"

Hook nodded. "Be my guest."

PAST REAL WORLD

PORTLAND, OREGON - 11 YEARS PRIOR

A younger Emmett approached a parked yellow beetle and pulled out a metal rod, which he used to open the lock. He got inside and used a screwdriver to start the transmission. He drove off, but was soon interrupted by a woman in the backseat. She leaned forward and held up a pair of keys.

"Impressive," Nichole commented. "But really, you could've just asked me for the keys. Just drive. It's fine."

"I just stole your car," Emmett said. "Your life could be in danger."

"Nichole Cassidy."

"Yeah, I'm not telling you my name."

"No, I don't need to have you arrested when the robbery's in progress."

"Emmett. Swan."

"Good name."

"My sister's idea. So, do you just live in here, or are you waiting for the car to be stolen?"

"Why don't I tell you over drinks?"

"Excuse me?" He glanced at her.

"Hey. Eyes on the road."

Emmett ran a stop sign. "I am not having drinks with you. You might be a hooker or something."

"I might be a hooker, but you're definitely a car thief."

"I said I was sorry."

"You didn't, actually." A police car turned on the siren and began following them. "Oh..."

"Damn it."

"That's why I said 'eyes on the road'."

They pulled over and Nichole noticed the screwdriver still in the transmission.

"Screwdriver," Nichole told her, quickly pulling it out and replaced the screwdriver with the keys.

A cop approached the window. "License and registration."

"Hi," Emmett greeted.

Nichole popped her head next to Emmett. "Terribly sorry officer, but this is actually my car. I'm... I'm trying to, uh, teach my boyfriend how to drive stick."

"He's got a lot to learn."

"I know. But, you know... Men like to be right." Emmett glanced at her and frowned.

"All right, I hear you. It's a warning... this time."

"Yeah. Thank you so much."

The cops left and Nichole got into the front seat.

"What are you, some sort of a misogynist?" Emmett asked.

"You're welcome. Oh, go. We got lucky."

"We? This isn't your car either, is it? I stole a stolen car?"

"Now, how about that drink?"

PRESENT FAIRY TALE WORLD

The group was still at the bottom of the beanstalk, and the five of them argued while Hook and Elizabeth watched.

"All due respect, I'm the best equipped to go," Mulan said. "How many wars have you been through?"

"My share," Mary Margaret replied.

"It should be me," Aurora told them.

Mulan turned to her. "You? You haven't fought in a battle."

"This is about us getting home to our loved ones," Mary Margaret reminded them. "Why would you-"

"Because I have no loved ones," Aurora finished. "If I fall, you can still go on."

"It's me," Emmett decided. "I'm going, and I'm not going to fail."

Mary Margaret looked at her son. "You and Emma are new here."

"It's about getting back to Henry. I don't care what I have to face." Mary Margaret remained silent. "You're not going to argue with me?"

"Would it do any good?"

"No. Anything in that bag that going to help me with a giant?"

"A hook?" Mulan questioned in a taunting tone.

"Hey!" Hook protested.

"Come with me." She took Emmett aside, pulled out a cloth satchel and handed it to him. "This - powder made from poppies. He has to inhale it."

"And your sword - how strong is it?" Emmett asked.

"The most powerful blade in all the realms."

"Is it strong enough to cut through that beanstalk?"

"Indeed."

"Give me ten hours. If I'm not back, you cut it down and keep going."

"Snow and Emma won't like that."

"That's why I'm asking you. If I don't get back, you get them home."

"Ladies," Hook called. "In this world, we are slaves to time. And ours is running out. In other words, tick tock." Emmett joined him. "My friend was hoping it'd be you."

"Just get on with it," Emmett retorted.

"Put your hand right here," Elizabeth instructed and Emmett put his hand on Elizabeth's shoulder with annoyed look. She snapped the second magical cuff to his wrist. "That's a good lad. This will allow you to climb. There are other dangers. Thankfully, you've got me to protect you."

Emmett stared her down. "Don't think I'm taking my eyes off you for a second."

"I would despair if you did."

"Let's go."

The two began their climb up the beanstalk.

...

Emmett and Elizabeth, who were still climbing, had managed to reach the upper part of the beanstalk.

"First beanstalk?" Elizabeth questioned. "Well, you never forget your first. You know, most women would take your silence as off-putting, but I love a challenge."

"I'm concentrating," Emmett told her.

"No, you're afraid. Afraid to talk - to reveal yourself. As is your sister. Trust me - things'll be a lot smoother if you do."

"You should be used to people not trusting you."

"Ah, the pirate thing. Well, I don't need you to share. You're something of an open book."

"Am I?"

"Quite. Let's see - you volunteered to come up here because you were the most motivated. You need to get back to a child."

"That's not perception. That's eavesdropping."

"Ah, but you don't want to abandon him the way you were abandoned."

"Was I?"

"Like I said, an open book."

"How would you know that?"

"I spent many years in Neverland - home of the Lost Boys. They all share the same look in their eyes... The look you get when you've been left alone."

"Yeah, well, my world ain't Neverland."

"But an orphan's an orphan. Love has been all too rare in your life, hasn't it? You ever been in love?"

Emmett glanced at her. "No. I have never been in love."

PAST REAL WORLD

Emmett and Nichole were in a convenience store. Nichole was faking a pregnancy.

"I think this little guy is hungry," Nichole said. "Go ahead and get whatever you want, sweetie. I'm going to get directions, since you never ask."

"I will," Emmett replied.

Nichole walked up to the clerk. "Hey, sir."

"How are you?" the clerk asked.

Nichole pulled a map off the shelf and opened it, attempting to block the clerk's view. Meanwhile, Emmett was swiping food.

"I've been better. Listen, my husband and I are really lost. I'm trying to get to Eugene, and I think we've been going the wrong way. Can you show me what's going on here? Where are we, first of all?"

"Okay, wait. Do I look like a tour guide? Why don't you buy the map, then I can help you."

"Okay." She paid for the map.

"Okay. Now, your problem is..." Nichole stole a keychain while the clerk was distracted and another customer, a man, entered, "is you're way up here. You see that?"

"Oh my God. That is a problem."

"Yeah. Now what you have to do, is you have to take five all the way south towards Salem. That's right down there. You see that?"

The man saw Nichole pocketing a chocolate bar and yelled, "Hey!"

"That's where you're going. You got it?"

"Hey, mister, that girl's stealing that-"

Nichole created a diversion by pretending to be going into labor. "Oh God! Oh God..."

"Honey?" Emmett called.

"I think... I think it's time."

"He's ready?"

"Oh, yeah."

"You didn't see her take the-" the man was cut off.

"Oh, it hurts really bad!"

"Do you guys need help?" the clerk asked.

"Mister, you didn't see her take-" the man was cut off once again.

"It hurts really bad!"

"Okay, okay," Neal said.

"You want me to call an ambulance?" the clerk questioned.

"No, it's fine! My car's out front. I know, I know. Breathe."

"Oh God," Emmett said.

"Breathe! Let's go! Come on."

"Oh! Oh!"

Emmett and Nichole exited the store.

"You know they were stealing," the man told the clerk.

Outside, Emmett and Nichole ran to their car.

"The little guy saved us," Nichole said.

"He sure did," Emmett replied. "The miracle of birth!"

Nichole laughed and pulled the bag out from under her dress.

"Wow. Good haul."

"Thanks."

"I got you a keychain. Do you like it?" She held up a swan keychain.

"Yeah." The two kissed.

"Okay. We got to go."

...

Nichole and Emmett waited in a motel room parking lot as a family left their room.

"20 minutes till housekeeping," Nichole noted.

The two entered the motel room.

"You want to shower first?" Nichole asked.

"Oh, look. The granola family left this." Emmett grabbed the dreamcatcher that was left behind.

"What is that?"

"It's a Native American dreamcatcher. It's supposed to keep all the nightmares out, and only let the good dreams in to protect your home."

"It's flypaper for nightmares?"

"Mmhmm."

"Let's keep it."

"Yeah, hang it where? The car?"

"It's not much of a home. Maybe it's time we got a real place."

"Are you saying..."

"Why not? We've been on the road long enough, baby. It's time we retire the Bonnie and Clyde act. So, I think... I think it's time."

"Together?"

"Don't you want to?"

"Like where? Neverland?"

"I'm serious. We could do this."

"Where?"

Nichole grabbed a framed map of the United States off the dresser and laid it on the bed in front of Emmett. "Where? I'll tell you where. Close your eyes and point. Whatever spot you pick, that's our home. And maybe your sister and my brother can take the guest room."

Emmett closed his eyes and randomly pointed to a spot on the map. "Tallahassee."

"We got a winner."

"Is it near a beach?"

"Yeah, it's Florida. Everything's near a beach."

"Okay then, Tallahassee it is."

"Tallahassee it is."

"Are you sure? Is this... What you really want?"

"What I really want, is you."

PRESENT FAIRY TALE WORLD

Mulan drew a sundial in the sand with a stick.

"What is that?" Aurora asked.

"It keeps the time," Mulan replied.

"You have somewhere to be?" Mary Margaret questioned.

"We can mark watches - take turns sleeping. We'll most likely have to walk through the night again, so we should rest while we can."

"I'll take first shift."

"I'll stay up with you," Aurora decided.

"Okay," Mulan agreed before leaving.

Mary Margaret looked at Aurora. "When's the last time you slept?"

"I don't really sleep now," Aurora admitted. "Not after what I've been through."

"Sleeping curse."

"The one time I did sleep, I had horrible nightmares."

"It's a side effect. Same thing happened to me."

"It did?"

"I had them for months. Charming - my husband - he used to wake me. When I cried out, he'd light a candle. He said it would capture the nightmares. He'd watch over me as I fell back to sleep."

"Sounds like he lives up to his name."

"Yeah. Um... Why don't you try... To sleep? I'll watch over you. You'll be safe."

"Thank you."

...

Elizabeth and Emma reached the top of the beanstalk to find a giant, destitute looking castle.

"What happened here?" Emmett wondered.

"It's where the final battle was," Elizabeth replied. "Give me your hand."

"What?"

"Your hand - it's cut. Let me help you."

"No, no. It's fine."

"No, it's not."

"So, now you're going to be a respectful lady?"

"Giants can smell blood. And I'm always a respectful lady." She uncorked a bottle and poured its contents over Emmett's bloodied hand and he cringed in pain.

"Ah! Ow! What the hell is that?"

"It's rum. A bloody waste of it." She tied a piece of fabric around Emmett's injury. "Now here's the plan - we wait for the giant to fall asleep. And when he does, we'll sneak past him into his cave. It's where the treasures are - where the compass lies."

"And then?"

"And then we run like hell."

"I don't have time to wait for a giant to fall asleep. The powder Mulan gave us - we need to use it. We've got to knock him out."

"Well, that's riskier."

"Than waiting for a giant to fall asleep when we need him to?"

"Point taken. Oo, you're a tough lad. You'd make a hell of a pirate."

"Who's William? Your tattoo?"

"Someone from long ago."

"What happened to him?"

"He's gone."

"Gold. Rumpelstiltskin. He took more than your hand from you. That's why you want to kill him."

"For someone who's never been in love, you're quite perceptive, aren't you?"

"Maybe I was, once."

PAST REAL WORLD

Emmett waited for Nichole by a tree. When she arrived, he held up a paper bag and said, "I got doughnuts. I got jelly. What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Nichole replied.

"No, no. I know that face. Hey. What's wrong?"

"This was on the wall at the post office." She handed Emmett 'wanted' posters searching for Nichole and Neal Cassidy. "I didn't even know they did that still."

"When did this happen?"

"Neal was a janitor in Phoenix - this high-end jewelry place. I was a saleswoman. The manager was a drunk. He would forget to lock the case to the expensive watches."

"Nichole..."

"She and I resisted - twice! The third time, this guy's just asking to get took. So Neal and I... We grabbed a couple cases of watches, and we hopped on a train to Portland. The store's got insurance. Anyway, we stashed 'em in a locker at the train station. They're still there. It's not... It's hardly stealing."

"So, you twovgot away clean."

"We didn't get away clean. The manager may have been a drunk, but the security cameras are stone sober. I thought this heat had died down, but it hasn't. I'm sorry. Tallahassee's out. Neal and I got to go to Canada."

"That's fine. I like maple syrup."

"She and I got to go to Canada alone."

"Why?"

"If we get caught and you're with us, you're in trouble-"

"You're not going to get caught."

"How can you say that? You think crossing the border's easy?"

"We get fake IDs and passports."

"Those cost money. We have a stolen car."

"We make it legit. We take a VIN number off of another car."

"Emmett, I'm not going to have you in the seat next to me with twenty thousand-"

"Wait, wait! Seriously. Wait, wait, wait. What if I go and get the watches out of the locker? No one's looking for me. We can... We can fence them, and then we have the money. We can do whatever we want. We can go wherever we want, right? We could change our identities and go to Tallahassee."

"So you... You want to steal the watches, to help me with get away with stealing the watches?"

"Yes. That is exactly what I want to do."

"I can't let you risk everything-"

"I love you."

"I love you, too. You think you can do it?"

"I know I can."

PRESENT FAIRY TALE WORLD

Emmett, armed with the poppy powder, had perched himself on top of a statue near the entrance of the castle. Elizabeth, still on the ground, had found a bone.

"You ready?" Elizabeth asked.

"Yeah," Emmett replied.

Elizabeth banged a metal shield with the bone and the noise caused the giant to awake. The giant exited the castle and Emmett realized the giant was far taller than the statue he was sitting on.

"Oh, damn it," Emmett muttered.

Elizabeth began provoking the giant with taunts as he slowly led the giant to the direction of the women. "Hey! You big git! Yeah, you. Huh? You want to kill a human? Huh? You want to kill a human? Well, I'm one of the worst humans around. Come on. Come on, then! Come on, then!"

When the giant leaned over to grab Elizabeth, Emmett threw the poppy powder in his face. The giant was knocked unconscious and fell to the ground. Elizabeth was nowhere in sight.

"Elizabeth? Elizabeth!" Emmett called.

Elizabeth appeared from behind the giant. "He's out cold. I don't mean to upset you, Emmett, but I think we make quite the team."

"Let's go steal a compass."

...

Mulan checked the sundial and saw that'd it been almost ten hours since Elizabeth and Emmett left. Aurora thrashed in her sleep, in the throes of a nightmare. Mary Margaret woke her up. Emma and Hook were nearby.

"Hey. Aurora?" Mary Margaret called. "It was just a dream. It was just a dream."

"It was horrible," Aurora said.

"Why don't you tell me about it? Do you want to tell me about it? Come on - let's stand. Tell me."

"It was the same as last time. I was in this room. This... This red room. It was bright. Blood-red curtains. There was no windows or doors, so it didn't make sense, and I couldn't get in or out. I was trapped. The curtains - they were on fire. It was horrible."

"It's okay."

"I was hunched in a corner, and I looked over into the other corner. And in the shadows, there were someone there. I just saw his eyes. He was looking right at me."

"It's okay. It's over now. These nightmares... They will fade away. I promise."

"Did they for you?"

"Yeah. Come on. Come on. I'll sit with you until you fall back asleep. Who else do I have to take care of?"

...

Emmett and Elizabeth entered a room filled with treasures.

"They hoarded all of their greatest stolen treasures in here," Elizabeth said. "Piles of jewels, and every room filled with coins." She began gathering things.

"Let's get to it," Emmett told her. "The compass."

"What's your rush?"

"How long do you think magic knockout powder lasts?"

"I have no clue."

"That's my rush."

"Too right, lad. Come. Everything we need is right in front of us."

PAST REAL WORLD

Emmett nervously stood in front of one of the lockers at the train station. Nearby, he saw two cops talking. Holding a key, she scanned the locker for the correct one. He hesitantly unlocked the locker and pulled out the bag of watches. Successful, he exited the station.

PRESENT FTW

Emmett and Elizabeth continued exploring the treasure room.

"They kill all the giant housekeepers, too?" Emmett questioned. "How we going to find a compass in this mess?"

"By looking," Elizabeth answered. "Start searching. I wonder how much treasure we could carry down the beanstalk. ...In addition to the compass, of course."

They came across a skeleton holding a sword. 'Jack' was etched into the blade.

"What the hell?" Emmett said.

"That... Would be Jack," Elizabeth informed.

"As in Jack..."

"The giant killer."

"With that toothpick?"

"Well, it packs quite a wallop. You'd be surprised."

"Oh, I'm sure I would."

When Elizabeth went to keep walking, Emmett stopped her by pulling her into his arms.

"Whoa!" Emmett cried. "Whoa! Whoa!"

"It's about bloody time." She embraced him.

Emmett pushed her away and pointed down. "It's a tripwire. Quite a security system."

They looked up to see a cage attached to the tripwire.

"Well, that's a plausible excuse for grabbing me, but next time don't stand on ceremony."

"Let's find the compass and go home. After you."

PAST REAL WORLD

Emmett rushed into the car, where Nichole, Emma and Neal, who they had picked up, was waiting for them.

"Oh, thank God," Neal and Nichole said.

He handed her the bag and they kissed before he replied, "Let's see 'em."

She took out the case of watched and opened the lid.

Emmett frowned. "That's not as many as I thought."

"Yeah, but they're super pricey. This is twenty thousand dollars, easy."

"Twenty thousand?! Tallahassee..."

"Listen, Neal and I are going to go meet the fence. We'll meet you two with the money. Remember where? The parking structure by the tracks."

"Yes."

"Nine o'clock, sharp. This is so there's no mix-ups..." She took out one of the watches and fastened it around Emmett's wrist.

"So, I guess we're keeping this one?"

"How can we not? Look how good it looks on you." The two kissed again. "Tallahassee, baby. We're almost home." She exited the car with the bag. Neal exited the car as well.

"Home..."

Emma gave her brother a frown and he narrowed his eyes in return.

...

Neal and Nichole walked down a dark street with the watches. A man and womN appeared and began following him. Neal and Nichole attempted to appear composed, then decided to make a run for it. The man and woman chased after them into an alley, where Neal and Nichole tried to jump a fence. The man grabbed them and pulled him to the ground before they could scale it. The man and woman were August and April.

"You got the wrong guy and girl, officer!" Neal cried. "I wasn't even jaywalking!"

"It's not like that," August said. "You want to protect Emma and Emmett? Come with me."

"What?"

"Get up."

"How do you know Emma and Emmett?" Nichole asked.

"Name's August. That's April. And it's a long story, but trust me - you want to hear it."

"All right, August, April. If you're not cops, who are you? You got two minutes."

"Think of us as Emma and Emmett's guardian angel."

"Guardian angel? I'd say you've been doing a pretty crap job."

"We've been looking for them for the past two years. Now we finally find them, and he's robbing convenience stores with some deadbeat. Tell me again who's doing the crap job."

Nichole narrowed her eyes. "Let me tell you something. I'm the best thing that's ever happened to him. My brother for Emma. Two years? Where were you the rest of their lives?"

"I'm not perfect. This world? Full of temptations. Turns out I'm not that great at saying no. I'm not built that way. But, we're here now."

"So who are you?"

"We were in the same home as kids, and we thought they'd be safe inside the system. But now that they're out? Back then, we promised we would take care of them."

"Well, we promised to take care of each other."

"You love him. Good. That means you have to do right by him, and your brother by Emma."

"That's all I'm trying to do."

"Then leave him."

"Never."

"He has a destiny, as does Emma. And you? This life? You're going to keep him from it. Okay? You believe in magic?"

"I take it you do."

"So will you. Trust me. I'm going to show you something... Something that's going to make you look at everything differently. And, when you see what I have in here, you're going to listen. You're going to believe every word I say." He led Neal and Nichole to his motorcycle, where he had a box attached to the back. He opened the lid.

"Yeah, right." Neal and Nichole looked at the contents hidden in the box. August shut it before it was shown what was inside. "Okay, I'm listening."

"There's a curse... And it needs to be broken. Emma and Emmett, are the keys. April and I were tasked with keeping them on track and you, my friends, just got caught in the crossfire. Now, I'm going to tell you a story. And, at the end of it, you're going to have to make a decision. Will you do the right thing, or not? So... Are you ready?"

...

At the parking structure, Emmett was waiting for Nichole. He'd sent Emma on her way. He attempted to call her, but got an 'out of service' error.

"Damn right it's an error," Emmett muttered.

A cop appeared, armed with a gun and said, "Unless she set you up. Hands above your head please, sir."

"Wait. Why?"

"Possession of stolen goods. Left you holding."

"I have nothing."

"Sorry to tell you, but your girl took off. Probably in Canada by now. She called in a tip - told us to take a look at the surveillance footage at the train station. Give the watch. Now!" Emmett began unfastening the watch. "You know your rights?"

"Yeah." He handed the watch to the cop and he went to cuff him.

"Good boy. Turn around. Where's the rest of the watches?"

"They're gone. They're not coming back."

"Let's go."

PRESENT FAIRY TALE WORLD

Elizabeth and Emmett were still in the treasure room.

"So it's just... in here somewhere?" Emmett asked.

"Allegedly," Elizabeth replied, turning to him. "Give me a boost would you, love?"

"So I can't see what you're pocketing? No way. You give me a boost."

Elizabeth placed a hand on Emma's arm. "Try something new, sweetheart. It's called trust."

"No. We do it side by side and fast. Who knows how long before the-" The giant's footsteps were heard in the distance.

"Someone's up. Quickly. Get under something."

The giant charged into the treasure room, the stomping causing part of the ceiling to cave in. Debris fell onto where Elizabeth was standing.

"Elizabeth?" Emmett called.

The giant charged him. He reached down to grab him.

PAST REAL WORLD

TWO MONTHS LATER - VANCOUVER, CANADA

Neal and Nichole met with August and April and the former of the latter two said, "Been awhile. Where'd you go?"

"Tried to lose myself," Nichole answered. "It didn't work. She and I want to talk to you about Emma and Emmett."

"I hope you're not trying to reach out."

"I just... I feel like... If... If we knew that they were okay, then we could move on. Is he? Is she?"

"They will be. He got 11 months. She got out in time."

"That should be me! I should be doing that time."

"No. We went over this. It's good."

"How's it good?"

"It's a minimum security place in Phoenix. And no, I am not going to tell you which one. He'll get out of there, and he'll be fine. You keep your promise and steer clear, and he can have a good life. He can do what he's supposed to do."

"And if I can't be there for him, dude, you got to promise me that you will be," Nichole said.

"I promise."

"Then you should do something for me. I was able to fence the watches. Don't judge me. I'm giving it all to her. And the car - I got a clean VIN number for it, so it's legit. I just... It'll feel like I'm there with him, you know?"

"Money is not what he needs. Not for what's ahead."

"Can you just see that he gets it?"

"Sure."

"And one more thing - if anything changes, and they do their job, this insanity ends, and they're free..."

"I'll send you a postcard."

PRESENT FAIRY TALE WORLD

Emmett was struggling in the giant's fist. "It's not what you think!"

"You're pirates and thieves, and you poisoned me," the giant said. "So yeah, I'm pretty sure you're exactly what I think."

"No. Look, you have a compass. I need it."

"I don't care what you need."

The giant tightened his grip as Emmett struggled to breathe.

"No, for my son! To save my son! Don't you have a family?"

"No. Because humans killed them all."

Emmett's vision began fading and he bit the giant's hand. He dropped him, and he ran in the direction of Jack's skeleton. He jumped over the tripwire and grabbed Jack's sword, which he used to set off the trap. The cage fell onto the giant, trapping him.

"Nice security system," Emmett complimented. "Efficient." He pointed the sword towards the giant's face.

"No. No! No! No! No!" the giant cried.

"I can tell by your face you know what this is. Let me guess - it's dipped in some sort of poison. You have a compass. I need it."

"You're going to kill me either way. Go ahead. Kill me."

"You don't know me."

"I know your kind. They massacred us, and destroyed our beans."

"I heard it the other way."

"That's because the victors get to tell the story." He poked the sword closer. "Okay! Stop. Here." He slid the compass across the floor and retrieved it. "See? I'm not the bad guy."

"Maybe you are telling the truth. Doesn't really matter. I have to go. Are there any more of you?"

"No. I'm alone."

He spotted a shriveled looking bean attached to the giant's necklace. "What's this? Is this a bean? Can this make a portal?"

"Not anymore. It was destroyed like the rest of them. I wear it as a reminder... A reminder that you're all killers."

Emmett pointed the sword at him again. "You're wrong."

He lowered his sword and started walking away. When his back was turned, the giant broke free from the cage. The giant grabbed a boulder that was covering a tunnel that led outside and threw it across the room.

"Go," the giant told him.

"Why?" Emmett asked.

"Because you could've killed me, and you didn't. You get one favor. Now go, before I change my mind."

Emmett turned to leave, but stopped. "Actually... I get two favors."

"What?"

"Well, the way I see it, I could have killed you twice - the poison and when you were knocked out. I didn't."

"What do you want?"

...

Emmett pulled Elizabeth from under the debris and said, "Elizabeth."

"You're bloody brilliant," Elizabeth told him. "Amazing. May I see it? The compass." Emmett held out the compass for Elizabeth to see. "It's more beautiful than legend." Suspicious, Emmett withdrew his hand and pocketed the compass. "Come. Let's go."

Elizabeth extended her hand to Emmett, but, instead of taking it, Emmett grabbed a nearby shackle and chained Elizabeth to the wall.

"What are you doing?" Elizabeth asked. "What are you doing?"

"Elizabeth, I... I... I can't..."

"Emmett, look at me. Have I told you a lie? I brought you here. I risked my own safety to help you. The compass is in your hand. Why do this to me now?"

"I can't take a chance that I'm wrong about you. I'm sorry."

"You're sorry? You're sorry?! I got you here! I got you the compass!"

"Scarlet and I got the compass."

"Well, you're just going to leave me here to die? Have that beast to eat me, to crush my bones?"

"He's not a beast. And you're not going to die. We just need a head start - that's all."

"Swan. Swan! Swan!"

...

Mulan checked the sundial and saw that it had been ten hours. Mary Margaret was still watching Aurora as she slept. Mulan drew her sword and headed towards the beanstalk.

"Whoa, wait!" Mary Margaret yelled. "What are you doing?"

"Just stay back," Mulan told her. "Emmett gave me ten hours."

"No, no, no!"

Aurora frowned. "What, you're just going to leave them to die?"

"Ten hours," Mulan said. "They may already be dead."

"No, st-"

Mulan struck the beanstalk with her sword. A surge of magic traveled up it.

"No!" Mary Margaret and Emma cried.

"No, stop!" Aurora exclaimed.

Mary Margaret and Emma rushed towards Mulan and tackled her to the ground. The three fought on the ground.

"Stop! Stop!" Aurora repeated.

"This was your friend's wish!" Mulan stated.

"I don't care what you say!" Mary Margaret retorted. "You do not put my son in danger!"

"Stop!" Emmett yelled as he jumped down from the beanstalk. Mary Margaret, Emma and Mulan stopped fighting.

"Emmett! You okay?"

"Two earthquakes and a jump from a beanstalk. I think my brain still may be rattling around a little. But, I'm all right. I think."

"I did what he ordered, nothing more than that," Mulan said, turning to Emmett. "Did you get it?"

"Yeah."

"W-Where's Elizabeth?" Aurora wondered.

"She's detained. Let's go. Gather your belongings. We've got another ten hours before she follows us."

"What? How?" Mary Margaret asked.

"I've got someone looking after her till then."

"You told her to cut it down?"

"Yeah. I couldn't risk-"

"We go back together. That is the only way. Do you understand?" They hugged.

"Yeah..."

"Good. Now, let's go get that dust from Cora."

"Yeah, and go home," Emma said with a small smile to her brother.

PAST REAL WORLD

11 YEARS PRIOR

JAIL CELL - PHOENIX, ARIZONA

Emmett was sitting on the bed. A guard entered with a brown envelope.

"Swan, you got mail," the guard said. "Know anyone in Phuket? I've got to open this in front of you. Those are the rules." The guard held up a set of car keys attached to the stolen swan keychain. "Look - car keys. Hope you got the car it goes with. Nothing else. No letter. Sorry. But, the good news - you get a car when you get out. And a baby if you want it. Congratulations."

Emmett was holding a picture of a positive pregnancy test from a letter.

REAL WORLD

Henry jolted up from the bed, screaming.

David ran in and called, "Henry? Henry? Hey, hey, hey, hey. You're okay, you're okay. You're okay, you're okay."

"I... I just had the worst nightmare," Henry said.

"It's over now."

"Okay."

"Okay? Here. This will help." David lit a candle next to the bed.

"A candle?"

"Yeah. They keep the nightmares away. Now, talk to me. What was so bad?"

"I... I was in this room, and... And it was red. And there was no doors, no windows. And these curtains... And they were on fire. And... I was in this corner."

"Right."

"And... And... And... And I was looking out, and there was someone else there. She was staring at me through the flames. Th-Then I woke up and..."

"Hey, don't worry, all right? It was just a bad dream."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.1K 1.2K 16
What if Snow White and Prince Charming had twin girls? Emma and Brooklyn Swan grew up in the foster care system but were separated very young, Brook...
106K 5K 43
Set after 3x11 Going Home, after Pan's curse hits. This fic ignores ANYTHING that comes after this episode. What if everyone hadn't met Zelena in th...
14.6K 419 38
Regina rescues a child from her abusive father and raises her as her own. Since Rose wants to make Regina proud she would do anything for her. But ev...
1.8K 65 15
Y/n Swan is Emma Swans twin, they both got sent through the portal with hopes that one of them would be able to save the enchanted forest. Little did...